Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? 15:26 - Jan 23 with 4755 viewsPremierBlue

I wonder who were the foresighted people responsible for bringing Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Ipswich and Portman Road? Does anyone know?
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 20:12 - Jan 23 with 1001 viewsMeadowlark

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 16:10 - Jan 23 by Tommyparker

Dave Sexton was managing Chelsea, asked Bobby to scout for him at a Ipswich Town v Nottingham Forest game. At Portman Road that night, a chap called Murray Sangster approached and introduced himself as one of the Ipswich Town directors. They got on and Bobby took an instant shine to him. So Bobby applied in writing for the vacant manager's job at Ipswich Town. Bobby then met up with Ken Brightwell, Harold Smith and John Cobbold, the three directors near Liverpool Street station. They gave Bobby the job but they couldn't offer Bobby a contract, Bobby accepted the offer.

Murray Sangster was the boss of Thomson & Morgan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_and_Morgan
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 20:35 - Jan 23 with 980 viewsblueislander

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 19:34 - Jan 23 by gainsboroughblue

I've often thought the Cobbold's would make a brilliant subject of a feature film, like the Damned United for e.g.

As eccentric and enigmatic as any football characters. So proud of their long association to the club.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 19:35]

Mr. Patrick was pretty straightforward, and nota bit eccentric. Mr.John was a barely functioning alcoholic, but he was a proper gent.
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 20:57 - Jan 23 with 965 viewsPJH

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 20:35 - Jan 23 by blueislander

Mr. Patrick was pretty straightforward, and nota bit eccentric. Mr.John was a barely functioning alcoholic, but he was a proper gent.

Although the books have been mentioned on here several times before I highly recommend:-

Mr John by Mel Henderson.

Football Gentry The Cobbold Bothers by Brian Scovell.
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 21:59 - Jan 23 with 939 viewsChurchman

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 20:06 - Jan 23 by Meadowlark

Did you see that match?
George Best second half was unplayable! First half he'd done nothing except sulk when the North Stand sang "Georgie's lost his handbag." Second half was something special.

I didn’t I’m afraid. However, I was lucky enough to see Best for Northern Ireland and a couple of times for Man Utd. There was always an intake of breath when he got the ball. A true footballing legend.
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 22:11 - Jan 23 with 931 viewsRadlett_blue

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 20:06 - Jan 23 by Meadowlark

Did you see that match?
George Best second half was unplayable! First half he'd done nothing except sulk when the North Stand sang "Georgie's lost his handbag." Second half was something special.

Not so. I was at that game & while we took an early lead through Jimmy Robertson, Man U equalised through a penalty & Best scored his 2 goals before half time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 07:59 - Jan 24 with 877 viewsElephantintheRoom

Mr serendipity - or more accurately the old school tie...aka the Cobbold family

You should add Scott Duncan to the mix. Leaving Manchester United for effectively a non-league team was quite a coup.

Ipswich was a lovely place to come owing to the philosophy and attitude of the Cobbold family. That is what defined the club.... before elevating John Cobbold to sainthood for settling on Robson after failing to get Bingham or O'Farrell (both of whom were very good managers and went to much better clubs than Ipswich at the time).... remember he suggested Jackie Milburn so a sprinkling of blind luck was as necessary then as it is today.

But the difference was that the Cobbolds saw themselves as custodians of the club and ran it in a way that was virtually unique and wholly admirable. Ipswich now is nothing like the club it was, taking its identity from the owner..... hence it attracts managers of a similar opportunistic ilk

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:27 - Jan 24 with 862 viewsRadlett_blue

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 07:59 - Jan 24 by ElephantintheRoom

Mr serendipity - or more accurately the old school tie...aka the Cobbold family

You should add Scott Duncan to the mix. Leaving Manchester United for effectively a non-league team was quite a coup.

Ipswich was a lovely place to come owing to the philosophy and attitude of the Cobbold family. That is what defined the club.... before elevating John Cobbold to sainthood for settling on Robson after failing to get Bingham or O'Farrell (both of whom were very good managers and went to much better clubs than Ipswich at the time).... remember he suggested Jackie Milburn so a sprinkling of blind luck was as necessary then as it is today.

But the difference was that the Cobbolds saw themselves as custodians of the club and ran it in a way that was virtually unique and wholly admirable. Ipswich now is nothing like the club it was, taking its identity from the owner..... hence it attracts managers of a similar opportunistic ilk

Leicester City a much bigger club than Ipswich at the time? Hmm.
Yes, the Cobbolds were old fashioned patrician custodians. However, to suggest that an ambitious professional football club could now be run like that is disingenuous.

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:38 - Jan 24 with 853 viewsTeHuia

I remember "Tolly Is Different".

And their odd-shaped pint bottles.
Login to get fewer ads

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:38 - Jan 24 with 851 viewsPJH

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:27 - Jan 24 by Radlett_blue

Yes, the Cobbolds were old fashioned patrician custodians. However, to suggest that an ambitious professional football club could now be run like that is disingenuous.

As you will know at the end of the 1968/69 season Leicester did an unusual double of getting to the F.A. Cup Final(lost to Man C) and getting relegated from the top division.
They finished 3rd in the second division in 1969/70 and came back up in 1970/71.

At the end of 1970/71 Frank O'Farrell was appointed manager of Man U.

When turning down the ITFC job I think he was quoted as saying that ITFC "had no potential".
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 8:39]
Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:40 - Jan 24 with 849 viewsRadlett_blue

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:38 - Jan 24 by TeHuia

I remember "Tolly Is Different".

And their odd-shaped pint bottles.

I remember Tolly Cobbold's lousy beer. I bet Mr John didn't drink it!

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 09:10 - Jan 24 with 834 viewsElephantintheRoom

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 08:27 - Jan 24 by Radlett_blue

Leicester were indeed a much bigger club than Ipswich at the time... and remember after taking Leicester to relegation he was snapped up by Man Utd. If memory serves, Leicester broke the british transfer record at the time buying Sniffer Clarke from Fulham.... something somewhat beyond Town at the time.

I'm not suggesting that any club couldn't be run that way...in many ways Norwich already are...just pointing out that Town are about as far away from their 'DNA' as Sheepy would say as it is possible to get.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 14:04 - Jan 24 with 780 viewsNo9

Who brought Sir Alf and Sir Bobby to Portman Rd? on 15:43 - Jan 23 by itfcjoe

Sir Bobby was something like 3rd or 4th choice when he got the job, how different things could have been

Yes it was not good for Town to be dengrated by the media for not being able to sign a new manager - the likes of Billy Bingham turned the job down, Frank O'Farrel declared Town had no future but wne to Man U who he thought did & got sacked

No one wanted Bobby Robson who was considered a failure at the time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024