Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions 11:42 - Jan 24 with 2392 viewsSouperJim

Realise I'm nearly 30 years late making this point, but does this get up anyone else's nose? The term "League" means an entire pyramid. "The Premier League" is not a league. It is a division. Same applies for League One and League Two. What branding berk is responsible for this madness?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_(sport)

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Yeah, we're in Division 3. (n/t) on 11:43 - Jan 24 with 2091 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:43 - Jan 24 with 2094 viewsChateauWines

We are in the Third Division

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:47 - Jan 24 with 2065 viewsSouperJim

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:43 - Jan 24 by ChateauWines

We are in the Third Division

Yeah I got that, it's just an attempt to make the top division sound more exciting by giving it a silly name, thereby us lower down the pyramid end up with our division being named something which is in no way representative of it's status.

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:55 - Jan 24 with 2041 viewshoppy

That's nothing...

This is real madness...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_Thousand_Leagues_Under_the_Sea

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:56 - Jan 24 with 2026 viewsSouperJim

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:55 - Jan 24 by hoppy

That's nothing...

This is real madness...

I know right, it's an ocean for starters...

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:58 - Jan 24 with 2013 viewshoppy

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:56 - Jan 24 by SouperJim

I know right, it's an ocean for starters...

Yes, but one in which Mark Fish may not have looked so out of place (or plaice) as that half he was in a Town shirt at QPR...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 12:00 - Jan 24 with 1993 viewsmonty_radio

Others have followed our example - clearly in la liga with the el diablo of grammatical licence.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 12:00 - Jan 24 with 1993 viewsSwansea_Blue

That's nothing...

This is real madness...

Hmm, that's a lot of relegations to not look forward to.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Stupid use of on 12:09 - Jan 24 with 1972 viewsSouperJim

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:58 - Jan 24 by hoppy

Yes, but one in which Mark Fish may not have looked so out of place (or plaice) as that half he was in a Town shirt at QPR...

Connor Salmon may have been more useful too.

Matt Pilchards?

I'll get my coat.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 12:09]

Stupid use of on 12:24 - Jan 24 with 1926 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Stupid use of on 12:09 - Jan 24 by SouperJim

Connor Salmon may have been more useful too.

Matt Pilchards?

I'll get my coat.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 12:09]

Vermund Brekke-Chard

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 12:38 - Jan 24 with 1892 viewsSuperblue95

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 11:47 - Jan 24 by SouperJim

Yeah I got that, it's just an attempt to make the top division sound more exciting by giving it a silly name, thereby us lower down the pyramid end up with our division being named something which is in no way representative of it's status.

I like how the Conference is now called the National League, despite the fact it’s Non-League.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:12 - Jan 24 with 1839 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, I know the Premier League is effectively the old First Division of the Football League, but the clubs did break away from the old Football League so they are legally separate entities & it was initially called "The FA Premier League".
Calling the old "2nd division" now the "Championship" & the 3rd tier being called League One is even sillier.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:14 - Jan 24 with 1830 viewsmonty_radio

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:12 - Jan 24 by Radlett_blue

Yes, I know the Premier League is effectively the old First Division of the Football League, but the clubs did break away from the old Football League so they are legally separate entities & it was initially called "The FA Premier League".
Calling the old "2nd division" now the "Championship" & the 3rd tier being called League One is even sillier.

But surely we've just been relegated back to the division of Sir Alf's great triumph, no?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:15 - Jan 24 with 1830 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Stupid use of on 13:16 - Jan 24 with 1829 viewsWeWereZombies

Stupid use of on 12:24 - Jan 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Vermund Brekke-Chard

We are going to have a whale of a time with this...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:22 - Jan 24 with 1810 viewsSouperJim

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:15 - Jan 24 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Yes, but the definition of a championship is winning the top division, no? Regardless of what division 2 is branded as these days!

Stupid use of on 13:48 - Jan 24 with 1772 viewsjeera

That's nothing...

This is real madness...

Well I've learned something today.

I have always held that title in contempt since I learned that 20,000 leagues is 60,000 miles so figured the author was a bit dumb or wasn't aware of the Earth's diameter.

I now know the title refers to the distance travelled whilst under the seas, (and not 'sea' as the translation from French would have had me believe).

I feel better informed so thanks for posting.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:52 - Jan 24 with 1767 viewsAlanRetentive

I could not agree more.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Stupid use of on 13:56 - Jan 24 with 1758 viewsAlanRetentive

Stupid use of on 13:48 - Jan 24 by jeera

Well I've learned something today.

I have always held that title in contempt since I learned that 20,000 leagues is 60,000 miles so figured the author was a bit dumb or wasn't aware of the Earth's diameter.

I now know the title refers to the distance travelled whilst under the seas, (and not 'sea' as the translation from French would have had me believe).

I feel better informed so thanks for posting.

That is quite informative, thank you. I too, was labouring under that misapprehension.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 14:00 - Jan 24 with 1750 viewsOldsmoker

Stupid use of "League" in the name of divisions on 13:12 - Jan 24 by Radlett_blue

The older pundits who played before the Premier League was created eg. Lineker, Lawrenson sometimes ask on MOTD "Who's going to win the Championship - Man City or Liverpool?" They can't help it but it always amuses me. In their day the Championship meant Division 1 winners.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Stupid use of on 14:01 - Jan 24 with 1747 viewsjeera

Stupid use of on 13:56 - Jan 24 by AlanRetentive

That is quite informative, thank you. I too, was labouring under that misapprehension.

Life is certainly going to be that bit easier from now on.

Stupid use of on 14:04 - Jan 24 with 1743 viewsAlanRetentive

Stupid use of on 14:01 - Jan 24 by jeera

Life is certainly going to be that bit easier from now on.

Yes indeed. Do you too have a list of such frustrating annoyances and inconsistencies pinned to your wardrobe door? I have gratefully struck through the 'Twenty thousand leagues under the sea' entry, thanks to your valued intervention.

Stupid use of on 14:13 - Jan 24 with 1720 viewsjeera

Stupid use of on 14:04 - Jan 24 by AlanRetentive

Yes indeed. Do you too have a list of such frustrating annoyances and inconsistencies pinned to your wardrobe door? I have gratefully struck through the 'Twenty thousand leagues under the sea' entry, thanks to your valued intervention.

Of course. I have those sticky post-it notes on display everywhere full of things that irritate.

Actually, I write this stuff down the moment they enter my head and start to bother me.

I have so many on the inside of my car's windscreen I can sometimes barely see where I'm going.

Stupid use of on 14:23 - Jan 24 with 1712 viewsAlanRetentive

Stupid use of on 14:13 - Jan 24 by jeera

Of course. I have those sticky post-it notes on display everywhere full of things that irritate.

Actually, I write this stuff down the moment they enter my head and start to bother me.

I have so many on the inside of my car's windscreen I can sometimes barely see where I'm going.

I don't think that would work very well on my Puch Maxi N! Hah-ha-ha.

[rolf] Oh dear, that didn't work! Have I got the wrong one? [gary] No, oh well.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 14:25]

Stupid use of on 18:21 - Jan 24 with 1541 viewsHARRY10

Stupid use of on 14:23 - Jan 24 by AlanRetentive

I don't think that would work very well on my Puch Maxi N! Hah-ha-ha.

[rolf] Oh dear, that didn't work! Have I got the wrong one? [gary] No, oh well.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 14:25]

It brings to mind a peom by a chap called Lord Alfred Tennis

HALF a league, half a league,
   Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred.
'Forward, the Light Brigade!
Charge for the guns!' he said:
Into the valley of Death
   Rode the six hundred'

I believe that was the time the league was sponsored by Canon, as in Canon to the right of them etc

I believe the charge was led by a chap wearing a cardigan, who was also a lord - but it doesn't say how much the charge was.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024