Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This virus 18:36 - Jan 24 with 9592 viewsjeera

China's response is not much short of remarkable really.

I mean, they don't mess about. Entire cities under quarantine.

A hospital being built from scratch with work having just begun today with an aim for completion by Monday.

It's a serious subject, but you have to acknowledge* their drive to get things done.

*Edited for clarity and to stop those hard of thinking from taking cheap shots.

[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 3:33]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This virus on 18:39 - Jan 24 with 5478 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Or you could say they a reactive rather than pro-active.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This virus on 18:40 - Jan 24 with 5481 viewsGuthrum

Tho, on the other hand, they also spent several weeks claiming the virus was a minor problem and nothing worth worrying about. Until it became too obvious that the reverse was the case.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This virus on 18:41 - Jan 24 with 5468 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

They shoot field rats don't they.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This virus on 18:45 - Jan 24 with 5467 viewsTrequartista

Yes i suspect it won't take them 10 years to build a small northern bypass, although not quite as impressed with their relationship with animals.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

This virus on 18:47 - Jan 24 with 5451 viewsFtnfwest

Amazing what you can achieve with a billion peasants
This virus on 18:53 - Jan 24 with 5429 viewsGeoffSentence

This virus on 18:45 - Jan 24 by Trequartista

Yes i suspect it won't take them 10 years to build a small northern bypass, although not quite as impressed with their relationship with animals.

I believe that I would choose no bypass over an authoritarian government able to get things done every day of the week.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This virus on 18:59 - Jan 24 with 5394 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst I agree with the general gist of the post I would add a few things:

- China messed up hugely with SARS by basically denying it existed and not telling the world the true extent of the problem. Most western modellers think the cases of this disease are closer to at least 10000 than the 800 they are claiming. The disease has also been around a for a few weeks - they didn't start this reaction immediately and perhaps not quick enough.

- It's easier to build a hospital in a few days with cheap/free labour and total control over the law.

You are right though, if you ignore some of the practices, once they get set on something they certainly follow through. The quarantine of entire cities is fairly unprecedented and remarkable but possibly won't be enough given it doesn't/didn't apply to individuals travelling by car.

The real risk his is a mutation of the virus which is definitely possible given it's RNA based. A mutation allowing easier transmission or a higher mortality rate would be awful.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This virus on 19:10 - Jan 24 with 5358 viewsTractorWood

This virus on 18:59 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

- China messed up hugely with SARS by basically denying it existed and not telling the world the true extent of the problem. Most western modellers think the cases of this disease are closer to at least 10000 than the 800 they are claiming. The disease has also been around a for a few weeks - they didn't start this reaction immediately and perhaps not quick enough.

- It's easier to build a hospital in a few days with cheap/free labour and total control over the law.

You are right though, if you ignore some of the practices, once they get set on something they certainly follow through. The quarantine of entire cities is fairly unprecedented and remarkable but possibly won't be enough given it doesn't/didn't apply to individuals travelling by car.

The real risk his is a mutation of the virus which is definitely possible given it's RNA based. A mutation allowing easier transmission or a higher mortality rate would be awful.

SB

Agree. Their mortality rates and disclosures should be taken with a huge smattering of salt too.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

This virus on 19:12 - Jan 24 with 5369 viewsjeera

This virus on 18:59 - Jan 24 by StokieBlue

SB

Oh please, as to other posts on this thread, I am under no illusion about China's abuse of human rights et al.

But yes, the speed at which things get done once a decision is made is little short of extraordinary.

There's been entire shopping centres thrown up [seemingly] overnight, transport links...

As someone else said, we're still at discussion stage when they've already got major construction works completed.

I wasn't aware the virus had been know that long and am surprised in that case that more hadn't been done. But it does seem to be a worldwide human trait that we hope some things will just go away on their own and not become an issue if we pretend it's fine.

No vaccination for it so it's entirely unseen before then?

Or is it that mutation has already made any previous efforts irrelevant already?

This virus on 19:19 - Jan 24 with 5338 viewsjeera

This virus on 18:47 - Jan 24 by Ftnfwest

I'm not sure there are a billion peasants. It's very entrepreneurial place.

That's not to assume here's no abuse of the masses who aren't so lucky.

But when you see the machinery at work there today, those aren't driven by unskilled peasants either. There will be engineers by the hundreds grafting there all this weekend.

This virus on 19:20 - Jan 24 with 5332 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This virus on 19:12 - Jan 24 by jeera

Oh please, as to other posts on this thread, I am under no illusion about China's abuse of human rights et al.

But yes, the speed at which things get done once a decision is made is little short of extraordinary.

There's been entire shopping centres thrown up [seemingly] overnight, transport links...

As someone else said, we're still at discussion stage when they've already got major construction works completed.

I wasn't aware the virus had been know that long and am surprised in that case that more hadn't been done. But it does seem to be a worldwide human trait that we hope some things will just go away on their own and not become an issue if we pretend it's fine.

Or is it that mutation has already made any previous efforts irrelevant already?

When you live without human rights, workers rights, minimum wage etc, it becomes easier to get things done overnight.

I know which I think is more impressive!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This virus on 19:21 - Jan 24 with 5331 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This virus on 18:47 - Jan 24 by Ftnfwest

Agreed

This virus on 19:24 - Jan 24 with 5319 viewsjeera

This virus on 19:20 - Jan 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

When you live without human rights, workers rights, minimum wage etc, it becomes easier to get things done overnight.

You don't have to be impressed.

They said there will be a hospital by Monday. And it's likely there will be.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

If you want to make points about slavery and human rights there's a long discussion about it on Callis's Right Wing thread.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 19:28]

This virus on 19:31 - Jan 24 with 5276 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This virus on 19:24 - Jan 24 by jeera

You don't have to be impressed.

They said there will be a hospital by Monday. And it's likely there will be.

I've no idea what point you're trying to make.

If you want to make points about slavery and human rights there's a long discussion about it on Callis's Right Wing thread.
[Post edited 24 Jan 2020 19:28]

You said I have to admire it, but I don't really.

That's all.

This virus on 19:41 - Jan 24 with 5081 viewsFtnfwest

This virus on 19:19 - Jan 24 by jeera

I'm not sure there are a billion peasants. It's very entrepreneurial place.

That's not to assume here's no abuse of the masses who aren't so lucky.

But when you see the machinery at work there today, those aren't driven by unskilled peasants either. There will be engineers by the hundreds grafting there all this weekend.

Rhetorical...
This virus on 19:43 - Jan 24 with 5086 viewsjeera

This virus on 19:41 - Jan 24 by Ftnfwest

Rhetorical...

It's not rhetorical at all. It's fact.

You think the engineering skills required this weekend will be employed by peasants?

Seriously?

Your post and a few others have the rhetorics covered surely.

This virus on 19:47 - Jan 24 with 5063 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This virus on 19:43 - Jan 24 by jeera

You think the engineering skills required this weekend will be employed by peasants?

Seriously?

It's going to be a large collection of prefabricated buildings with medical equipment inside. Probably more of a quarantine centre.

They are no building a traditional hospital.

This virus on 19:53 - Jan 24 with 5051 viewsGuthrum

That is part of the problem. It is liable to mutate far more rapidly than many viruses do. Thus much harder to develop a vaccine which deals with the newest strains.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This virus on 19:55 - Jan 24 with 5042 viewsFtnfwest

This virus on 19:43 - Jan 24 by jeera

Seriously?

I meant my billion peasants comments dear boy. Don’t worry in any event I’m dipping out for the evening, there’s ghost ship calling
This virus on 19:57 - Jan 24 with 5035 viewsjeera

This virus on 19:53 - Jan 24 by Guthrum

That is part of the problem. It is liable to mutate far more rapidly than many viruses do. Thus much harder to develop a vaccine which deals with the newest strains.

And there is a normal response.

Thank you Guthers.

No down-votes to a curious question. No looking to pick an argument.

A question and an answer. How difficult could that be?

Appreciate it.

This virus on 19:58 - Jan 24 with 5029 viewsjeera

This virus on 19:55 - Jan 24 by Ftnfwest

I meant my billion peasants comments dear boy. Don’t worry in any event I’m dipping out for the evening, there’s ghost ship calling

Oh I see, sorry.

Got you involved in the other nonsense.

Enjoy your GS.

This virus on 08:55 - Jan 25 with 4716 viewsStokieBlue

On the virus itself, you are correct it's a new strain which probably mutated from snakes or bats. RNA viruses have a high mutation rate so a vaccine will likely be a while coming. I wouldn't say it's unforeseen, experts have been saying it will happen since SARS but because of the virus mutations you can't even start on a vaccine until it comes along. The worry is 2-fold: a mutation to make human-to-human transfer easier and a mutation which shifts the mortality from killing people who already have an underlying condition to killing healthy people (like what happened with the Spanish flu).

I think we also need to look at the numbers here. They are claiming there are 1200 cases worldwide now (48 hours after the hospital announcement) yet they need 1000 dedicated beds in just Wuhan by Monday? 100m people in lockdown for 1200 cases? Something doesn't stack up at all. China tried to cover up SARS, lets hope they are being more honest this time (I think they are).

With regards to building speed, it's linked to human rights though. It's easier to build things when you can just seize someones property because you want the land, use prisoners to do the manual labour or care little for the environmental cost of what is being built.

You are right though - they are very quick and it's very, very impressive. You really can't compare it to HS2 though - it would be like the UK government kicking everyone out of their houses on the route without any recourse. When they built the 3 gorges damn they displaced 1.3m people from their homes with no recourse including a single city of 600,000 people. It also lead directly to the extinction of the magnificent Chinese paddlefish which wasn't even considered during the construction:

SB

This virus on 09:26 - Jan 25 with 4664 viewsfactual_blue

In 1972 the Chinese authorities mobilised 800,000 people to work through the night to clear the snow on the roads from Beijing to the Great Wall because Nixon was disappointed that his trip there wouldn't take place because of the snow.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This virus on 09:12 - Jan 26 with 4413 viewsStokieBlue

Some more information coming out about the handling of the virus:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-from-food-market-to-

SB

This virus on 09:38 - Jan 26 with 4364 viewsWD19

This virus on 19:20 - Jan 24 by Marshalls_Mullet

I’ve not travelled extensively in China, but in those places I have been many of the relatively new buildings are already looking tired and falling down. They seem to throw things up with the view that if they fall down in a few years they will just throw something else new up in its place. No wonder the worlds resources are fcked.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024