Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? 21:06 - Jan 25 with 4865 viewsbrazil1981

Oxford manager is complaining tonight that his players “bodies are at breaking point” following FAC draw today!
With us being out of the cups as well, our players should all be comparatively fresh leading into the crunch period. I was grumbling as much as anyone about what was going leading up to Xmas, however hopefully he will be proved right, as he said several times...it’s a long season?
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:11 - Jan 25 with 4820 viewsDubtractor

The way I look at it, is that without doubt he got it wrong in the autumn with just too much chopping and changing, and it messed up our results big time.

That said, we could still see benefit from it in the longer term, as teams like Oxford get bogged down in fixtures with a smaller squad. It doesn't make the policy right, as less tinkering could have had the same benefit and better results at the time, but some good can at least come from it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:14 - Jan 25 with 4773 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sounds like the biggest key is not playing first team players in cup competitions even if that does mean exiting them with a whimper early. Such a shame for the cups but the league is everything now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:54 - Jan 25 with 4615 viewsRocky

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:11 - Jan 25 by Dubtractor

The way I look at it, is that without doubt he got it wrong in the autumn with just too much chopping and changing, and it messed up our results big time.

That said, we could still see benefit from it in the longer term, as teams like Oxford get bogged down in fixtures with a smaller squad. It doesn't make the policy right, as less tinkering could have had the same benefit and better results at the time, but some good can at least come from it.

Agreed. It's all water under the bridge now. There's plenty of examples where keeping a settled side has given a good cup run which has also benefited league form.But the plus side of chopping & changing has been to gradually getting the likes of Huws and Keane up to speed.
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:57 - Jan 25 with 4595 viewsTractorCam

It was the right idea but he overdid it with every game being a minimum 5 changes and then every other game a formation change as well.

The fact that Huws is bossing the midfield again is thanks to the rotation system giving him time to gel back in, so there's been pros and cons to this. As long as that's now behind us we should be ok.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 22:03 - Jan 25 with 4566 viewsBasuco

I did not like the rotation earlier in the season but said to Basuco the younger PL knows far more that me about playing a full season in the EFL, so I will not openly criticise him because if we go on to win automatic promotion he will be proved correct in his team selection.
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 22:06 - Jan 25 with 4545 viewsBasuco

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:54 - Jan 25 by Rocky

Agreed. It's all water under the bridge now. There's plenty of examples where keeping a settled side has given a good cup run which has also benefited league form.But the plus side of chopping & changing has been to gradually getting the likes of Huws and Keane up to speed.

Playing a settled side has also seen teams go badly off form in March/April and miss out on promotion, be it League 1 or Championship.
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 22:12 - Jan 25 with 4509 viewsfactual_blue

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:14 - Jan 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

Sounds like the biggest key is not playing first team players in cup competitions even if that does mean exiting them with a whimper early. Such a shame for the cups but the league is everything now.

You're also ensuring your squad gets game time, the best preparation for the games that matter most, which are the league games from January onwards. He's achieved a settled side that's getting results with players on the bench who will be keen to win their places back.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 00:01 - Jan 26 with 4337 viewsIllinoisblue

Pompey (x2) and Coventry Both still in cups. Tiredness and injuries ahead hopefully

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 00:14 - Jan 26 with 4312 viewsZacak

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 21:11 - Jan 25 by Dubtractor

Or perhaps he was getting game time in to the whole squad and focused on the 2nd half of the season when cup competitions were done? Maybe he knows what he is doing? Amazing isn't it
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 00:35 - Jan 26 with 4267 viewsjeera

Losing some potential 24 points is not playing it clever with some larger scheme in mind and it's ridiculous to even try to assume so.

He got things wrong, now things seem to be going right again.

They don't need over-analysing. If we promote ourselves from this Godforsaken place then that's great. That's all that matters.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 07:34 - Jan 26 with 3917 viewsOxford_Blue

Except it was the rotation policy that was used when we were top and had a very strong start to the season, so your explanation doesn’t really work
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 07:42 - Jan 26 with 3907 viewsitfcjoe

It’s obviously helped with getting some of the longer term injured back - but think people are conflating changing the personnel with that being combined with constant changes of system.

We are lucky that there isn’t any outstanding teams in this league as normally takes 2ppg to go up automatically but isn’t going to need anything like that this season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 07:51 - Jan 26 with 3870 viewsgordon

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 07:42 - Jan 26 by itfcjoe

It’s obviously helped with getting some of the longer term injured back - but think people are conflating changing the personnel with that being combined with constant changes of system.

We are lucky that there isn’t any outstanding teams in this league as normally takes 2ppg to go up automatically but isn’t going to need anything like that this season

Yeah, I think if we had been training and playing the same system all the way through the season (except for e.g. trying to find an equaliser in the last ten minutes) then rotating players wouldn't be that much of a problem. It was when we were trying a different system each week which was inexplicable and caused the problems.
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 08:25 - Jan 26 with 3798 viewsGaryCooper

Complaining? He is a scouser.
Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 08:37 - Jan 26 with 3712 viewsKeaneish

Yeah greed. It was clearly an intentional policy, he just exhausted it to the point it became detrimental but the long term benefits will be there. He may well have wanted to divide the season in two, rotation and consistency but it floundered for a good six week spell.

No doubt players voiced their opinions but we know they were doing that from the season off given they've all said they have "an open changing room policy". I think its nonsense to think Evans stepped in though.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 09:09 - Jan 26 with 3634 viewsHerbivore

This is basically it in a nutshell. He totally ballsed up November and December by overrotating and there is no argument to be made that what he was doing worked. We picked up 10 points from 11 games, that's a quarter of this season where we played like a side who will get relegated. It was more than just a blip and it was down to the constant changes of personnel and system.

That said, even though it was a cock up it may have some benefits in the later part of the season with some of the squad having fresher legs as a result. It'll be interesting to see if he sticks to the current policy of no changes unless they're enforced as we still have a good number of games to go and fatigue might set in with some of the players at some point. A bit of rotation is fine, we've gone from one extreme to the other it seems.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 09:09 - Jan 26 with 3638 viewsMullet

We should go up in spite of it not because of it. People who still keep shining that two month long turd up are laughable frankly.

We've got far better players than anyone we're coming up against game after game, and have done all season. We had a massive cushion and he fcuked that right up. It's great we are top, and blips were inevitable, but we had a full blown meltdown.

It's just lucky that there are less games and less teams to challenge us thanks to that as the run comes in. At any level the run we went on is unacceptable, let alone being the big team in this league. We had relegation form for weeks and no sign he knew how to turn it around.

The sooner we are out of here the better.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 09:12 - Jan 26 with 3623 viewsHerbivore

Maybe Lambert’s rotation policy will start to pay off? on 07:34 - Jan 26 by Oxford_Blue

Except it was the rotation policy that was used when we were top and had a very strong start to the season, so your explanation doesn’t really work

Not to anything like the same extent though. In the first quarter of the season the likes of Holy, Downes and Skuse were ever present. Chambers missed one game. I think Woolfy only missed one game too. Norwood and Jackson likewise. So the spine of the team was actually very settled and we set up playing 4-4-2 in the vast majority of games and ended up switching back to it in the couple of games where we lined up differently. What went on through the next quarter of the season was markedly different.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024