Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coronavirus - v - the motor car 10:25 - Jan 26 with 2747 viewsCrawfordsboot

In view of the mass press coverage of the coronavirus I would just like to throw out there a couple of facts

To date 56 deaths have been attributed to the virus and a number of major Chinese cities are in lockdown.

Every day in China 700 people lose their lives in road accidents.

That’s worth repeating!

EVERY DAY IN CHINA 700 PEOPLE DIE IN ROAD ACCIDENTS

Should Govt. advice be - don’t travel to China you might get killed on their roads
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:37 - Jan 26 with 2386 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Also don't run in case you have a heart attack.

Don't eat nuts in case you have a reaction.

Don't climb a ladder in case you fall.

I think the issue with the virus is its potential to get worse very quickly with no cure.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 10:38]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:41 - Jan 26 with 2372 viewsPinewoodblue

You are four times more likely to be killed in a motor accident in USA than you are in the UK so perhaps we shouldn’t go there either.

Death rates involving motor vehicles in the UK are the lowest in the EU so perhaps we should all become little englanders and stay at home.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 10:42]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:41 - Jan 26 with 2363 viewsCrawfordsboot

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:37 - Jan 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Also don't run in case you have a heart attack.

Don't eat nuts in case you have a reaction.

Don't climb a ladder in case you fall.

I think the issue with the virus is its potential to get worse very quickly with no cure.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 10:38]

Irony - I’m not suggesting you don’t drive - not even in China

My point is to highlight the press frenzy in reporting the 56 deaths from the virus when in the same period there have been 18,200 deaths on the road in China. How many of us would have thought that.
PS I accept that the virus has the potential to get much worse
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 10:43]
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:45 - Jan 26 with 2346 viewsfooters

Toyota Corona

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:55 - Jan 26 with 2324 viewsfactual_blue

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:41 - Jan 26 by Pinewoodblue

You are four times more likely to be killed in a motor accident in USA than you are in the UK so perhaps we shouldn’t go there either.

Death rates involving motor vehicles in the UK are the lowest in the EU so perhaps we should all become little englanders and stay at home.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 10:42]

Not true

Only Germany, France, Italy, Poland and Romania have higher fatalities.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 11:33 - Jan 26 with 2267 viewsPinewoodblue

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:55 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

Not true

Poor show factual. That is a simple list of deaths , with no consideration of size of population.

https://www.statista.com/chart/18949/road-accident-fatalities-per-million-inhabi

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 12:00 - Jan 26 with 2233 viewsStokieBlue

What a stupid post.

The two things are totally unrelated and have different possible future scopes. 700 could die an hour if it mutates and the more of it there is the more chance of mutation.

The Spanish flu killed 50m to 100m (numbers unknown and a totally different disease) but let's rant about cars.

SB
[Post edited 26 Jan 2020 12:00]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 13:16 - Jan 26 with 2171 viewsSwansea_Blue

Important to remember the context, for sure. It’s the same with events like terrorist attacks.

But as MM says, it’s the not knowing how bad it could get and having no cure that’s the issue. People don’t deal with uncertainty and hopelessness very well.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 13:21 - Jan 26 with 2161 viewsPecker

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:45 - Jan 26 by footers

Toyota Corona

Just f**ked.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 13:25 - Jan 26 with 2152 viewsPecker

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 10:55 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

Not true

Don't spoil it with facts. It's Sunday, lets have a fact free day for a change.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 15:40 - Jan 26 with 2085 viewsLord_Lucan

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 13:25 - Jan 26 by Pecker

Don't spoil it with facts. It's Sunday, lets have a fact free day for a change.

Per head of population

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 16:08 - Jan 26 with 2048 viewsCrawfordsboot

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 12:00 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

What a stupid post.

The two things are totally unrelated and have different possible future scopes. 700 could die an hour if it mutates and the more of it there is the more chance of mutation.

The Spanish flu killed 50m to 100m (numbers unknown and a totally different disease) but let's rant about cars.

SB

Good grief - I am not ranting about cars! I could have used some other example.
I simply highlight the nature of the press response compared to the reporting of much higher levels of fatalities from for example road deaths in China so as to put it in some perspective.

SARS for example killed a total of 800 people worldwide. This compares to 21,000 a month, every month, killed on Chinese roads. One is a scare story that fills the news - the other is not.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 16:24 - Jan 26 with 2031 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 16:08 - Jan 26 by Crawfordsboot

Good grief - I am not ranting about cars! I could have used some other example.
I simply highlight the nature of the press response compared to the reporting of much higher levels of fatalities from for example road deaths in China so as to put it in some perspective.

SARS for example killed a total of 800 people worldwide. This compares to 21,000 a month, every month, killed on Chinese roads. One is a scare story that fills the news - the other is not.

The things are not comparable in the slightest though:

- Chinese road deaths is entirely a Chinese problem, why would it be international news? I doubt many people in the UK will die due to Chinese road issues whilst in the UK
- Chinese road deaths are unlikely to exponentially increase
- An RNA virus can mutate quickly and randomly, it could become much worse and the more of it there is the greater the likelihood of mutation
- A virus doesn't respect borders, Chinese road users have no choice

I think it's you lacking perspective here. The entirely coverage and issue is about the future potential, something you seem to be totally ignoring.

SB

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 16:31 - Jan 26 with 2015 viewsElephantintheRoom

In the era of 24 hour news perspective and reality rarely intrude. It's the great unknown of this that is generating headlines... we dont even know just how many people are ill in china... just taking their inscrutable word for it.

I was slightly intrigued that after a few mins of harry and meghan headlines the other day, second item on bbc news in was 3 people stabbed to death in ilford.

That's one more than a 'terrorist attack' that people are still pealing onions about.... but not quite as important as a needy actress and her unemployed spouse.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 17:55 - Jan 26 with 1944 viewsstonojnr

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 12:00 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

What a stupid post.

SB

No it's about understanding risks & probability which humans are notoriously bad at doing so you worry about catching this new virus whilst every day engaging in activities that seem almost mundane yet are far more likely to kill you based on their probability & risk

Its day 26 & on the yearly average 130 people will have now died on UK roads this year already
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 18:02 - Jan 26 with 1937 viewsSouperJim

I've got an even better example for you, fuel poverty versus terrorism. Also worth comparing government spending on both.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 19:06 - Jan 26 with 1898 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 17:55 - Jan 26 by stonojnr

No it's about understanding risks & probability which humans are notoriously bad at doing so you worry about catching this new virus whilst every day engaging in activities that seem almost mundane yet are far more likely to kill you based on their probability & risk

Its day 26 & on the yearly average 130 people will have now died on UK roads this year already

You've missed the point entirely.

You're comparing a linear risk with a potentially exponential risk.

SB

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 21:31 - Jan 26 with 1809 viewsBackToRussia

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 17:55 - Jan 26 by stonojnr

OK, what would you rather take your chances with, the virus or any car journey?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 23:03 - Jan 26 with 1757 viewsHARRY10

So that figure is already known and has probably not varied much in the past years - so it is not really 'news' as in the accepted fashion.

The news media are not here to provide a balanced' reporting of events - perhaps grading them on the same basis ie number of death

Mass killing by a gunman in the US will attract far more attention than they would over the border in Mexico.

Numerous folk die of smoking relted illness in the UK with little or no coverage. Were two children to die having been dound to have smoked from a very early age there would be mass media coverage in this country.... and possibly elsewhere

It's all about context - and what 'sells'.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:17 - Jan 27 with 1648 viewsCrawfordsboot

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 23:03 - Jan 26 by HARRY10

So that figure is already known and has probably not varied much in the past years - so it is not really 'news' as in the accepted fashion.

The news media are not here to provide a balanced' reporting of events - perhaps grading them on the same basis ie number of death

Mass killing by a gunman in the US will attract far more attention than they would over the border in Mexico.

Numerous folk die of smoking relted illness in the UK with little or no coverage. Were two children to die having been dound to have smoked from a very early age there would be mass media coverage in this country.... and possibly elsewhere

It's all about context - and what 'sells'.

You are quite right of course but from time to time it is worth reminding ourselves of the realities of risk and probability.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:25 - Jan 27 with 1638 viewsCrawfordsboot

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 21:31 - Jan 26 by BackToRussia

OK, what would you rather take your chances with, the virus or any car journey?

Of course I would rather drive from London to Manchester than sit for four hours in a room known to be infected with the virus.

On the other hand my risk of being killed in a car accident is far greater than my risk of being killed by the Coronavirus.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:27 - Jan 27 with 1635 viewsDanTheMan

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:17 - Jan 27 by Crawfordsboot

You are quite right of course but from time to time it is worth reminding ourselves of the realities of risk and probability.

Whilst there has been a lot in the news about it (there always is with "new" diseases), I've not seen much hysteria about it, even from the press.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:36 - Jan 27 with 1615 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:27 - Jan 27 by DanTheMan

Whilst there has been a lot in the news about it (there always is with "new" diseases), I've not seen much hysteria about it, even from the press.

It's also about scale and exponential growth risk rather than linear risk. The potential for something really bad is there, even if it's not pandemic at the moment. I think that is why it gets a lot of reporting time but as you say, it's not hysterical.

The figures coming out now seem more realistic given the measures put into place (new hospitals etc). 400+ critically ill including in Beijing and Imperial College estimating true infections in Wuhan alone at 100,000+ rather than the official figure of 2800.

The generic code has been shared so hopefully the appropriate resources are being thrown at working it out.

With regards to spread, it's just wait and see now and see if/how it mutates and hope for the measures to be successful.

SB.

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:41 - Jan 27 with 1602 viewsCrawfordsboot

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 16:24 - Jan 26 by StokieBlue

The things are not comparable in the slightest though:

- Chinese road deaths is entirely a Chinese problem, why would it be international news? I doubt many people in the UK will die due to Chinese road issues whilst in the UK
- Chinese road deaths are unlikely to exponentially increase
- An RNA virus can mutate quickly and randomly, it could become much worse and the more of it there is the greater the likelihood of mutation
- A virus doesn't respect borders, Chinese road users have no choice

I think it's you lacking perspective here. The entirely coverage and issue is about the future potential, something you seem to be totally ignoring.

SB

I disagree. I think you lack perspective here, though I don’t feel the need to describe your post as stupid.

As others have commented it’s about probability rather than possibility. You seem wedded to Armageddon and an exponential explosion. On the other hand informed advisors suggest that the coronavirus is less virulent than SARS and has a lower mortality rate.

There is also a possibility that the world will end next week due to some catastrophic solar even but it’s not probable.
Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:46 - Jan 27 with 1590 viewsStokieBlue

Coronavirus - v - the motor car on 08:41 - Jan 27 by Crawfordsboot

I disagree. I think you lack perspective here, though I don’t feel the need to describe your post as stupid.

As others have commented it’s about probability rather than possibility. You seem wedded to Armageddon and an exponential explosion. On the other hand informed advisors suggest that the coronavirus is less virulent than SARS and has a lower mortality rate.

There is also a possibility that the world will end next week due to some catastrophic solar even but it’s not probable.

You are free to disagree but that doesn't mean your post is accurate, other posters have also pointed out how it ignores scale and potential.

It's different to SARS and the infection rate in reality is likely already far higher given independent analysis out today.

You are the one who doesn't have perspective here and are trying to pact things down based on a totally irrelevant metric. Road deaths contained to a single country and due to laws have no relevance to a cross border disease.

Your last line is just pointless to be honest.

I find it strange you are trying so hard to downplay things.

SB
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 8:49]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024