Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you prefer to be top 10:35 - Jan 26 with 3445 viewssundaze

of the league and out of the cups, or would you rather be in Coventry's position, two games in hand, if they win both they go top and still in the FA cup?
League 1 is insane, it is impossible to predict who will be the top 6 at the end of season. There are eight serious contenders, not sure Wycombe will last the pace, but no idea who else will fail to make it, perhaps it depends on which Peterborough players come and go this week.
Coventry are having an incredible season considering their circumstances, but the games are going to come thick and fast in the coming weeks, it will be interesting to see if they have the stamina to last the pace.
Portsmouth and Oxford are also both still involved in the cup, it has to be a distraction at this crucial time of the season.
I am happy to see Town top of the league and out of the cups this season, automatic promotion is rightly our only focus.
Would you prefer to be top on 10:36 - Jan 26 with 3429 viewsartsbossbeard

I'm more than happy with the current mid table championsh..oh.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Would you prefer to be top on 10:38 - Jan 26 with 3411 viewssundaze

Would you prefer to be top on 10:36 - Jan 26 by artsbossbeard

I'm more than happy with the current mid table championsh..oh.

Time for action.
Would you prefer to be top on 10:40 - Jan 26 with 3398 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Meh.

I don't think they need to be mutually exclusive. That's a modern myth.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Would you prefer to be top on 10:55 - Jan 26 with 3358 viewsstrikalite

Only a negative mindset says that guys in their prime and in top physical shape can't play twice a week EVERY week if need be....

All players go through little dips in form, it's always put down to fatigue and fixture congestion, I think it's an easy excuse, it's strange how when you're winning fatigue takes a back seat..
Would you prefer to be top on 11:00 - Jan 26 with 3339 viewsChrisd

In our current position. It's ok having games in hand, but you need to win them. Ultimately, Coventry want to be back in the Championship like ourselves, so a cup run is great, but promotion is even better!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Would you prefer to be top on 11:35 - Jan 26 with 3274 viewspatrickswell

Would you prefer to be top on 11:00 - Jan 26 by Chrisd

In our current position. It's ok having games in hand, but you need to win them. Ultimately, Coventry want to be back in the Championship like ourselves, so a cup run is great, but promotion is even better!

If Coventry get promoted this season, then Mark Robins not Jurgen Klopp, should win Manager of the Year. They play to effectively one stand of fans in “home” games and are just 3 points off automatic promotion. They’ve done brilliantly.
Would you prefer to be top on 11:40 - Jan 26 with 3254 viewsPecker

This season, just got to get out of this god forsaken league. Next season and those after, personally, I will be happy with top 10 Championship and a cup run every other season. I am one of the few on here who loves the Championship. I think it is the best league in the world. Going to places like Everton or Arsenal in the cup and doing them over is what football is all about for me.
Would you prefer to be top on 11:43 - Jan 26 with 3239 viewsfooters

Would you prefer to be top on 11:40 - Jan 26 by Pecker

This season, just got to get out of this god forsaken league. Next season and those after, personally, I will be happy with top 10 Championship and a cup run every other season. I am one of the few on here who loves the Championship. I think it is the best league in the world. Going to places like Everton or Arsenal in the cup and doing them over is what football is all about for me.

Feel top 10 in the Champ may be a bridge too far for us next term, Pecker! Although where we'd actually place is a bit of a bafflement.

Agree with your general sentiment tho.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Would you prefer to be top on 11:48 - Jan 26 with 3226 viewsPecker

Would you prefer to be top on 11:43 - Jan 26 by footers

Feel top 10 in the Champ may be a bridge too far for us next term, Pecker! Although where we'd actually place is a bit of a bafflement.

Agree with your general sentiment tho.

Next season will be about survival. I would guess most on here would say 15th. We have to be realistic and unless some billionaires buy us, we can forget the Premier League, so mid to top half Championship is probably the best we can ask for. As long as the football is entertaining and we have the odd cup run, Pecker will be a very happy little Blue.
Would you prefer to be top on 14:07 - Jan 26 with 3039 viewsChrisd

Would you prefer to be top on 11:48 - Jan 26 by Pecker

Next season will be about survival. I would guess most on here would say 15th. We have to be realistic and unless some billionaires buy us, we can forget the Premier League, so mid to top half Championship is probably the best we can ask for. As long as the football is entertaining and we have the odd cup run, Pecker will be a very happy little Blue.

I have a Luton Town supporting friend who attends most home matches, he said the gulf between the Championship and L1 is vast. Losing your two first choice fullbacks certainly didn't help matters, but he said that even if they had stayed it would still be a season of struggle. If we get promoted we are going to need a big overhaul of our squad even to survive.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Would you prefer to be top on 15:31 - Jan 26 with 2953 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Would you prefer to be top on 10:40 - Jan 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Meh.

It's not.

It has always been problematic to league form having a long cup run. It was in the 80s, it was in 2000s and it is now.

If we had still been in the FA Cup, we would have not played yesterday and would be 3rd with a game in hand instead of top with Coventry having the games in hand.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Would you prefer to be top on 16:25 - Jan 26 with 2893 viewsElephantintheRoom

Being top now is utterly irrelevant. Being in the cup now has relevance. Its an easy question to answer. Just ask anybody who remembers a cup run.

In an era when just about anyone plays reserves and trues to lose in cup games it might be a very good idea to try and win a couple of cup games.

As any Villa fan will tell you it is always better to be top of the table at the end f the season.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Would you prefer to be top on 16:37 - Jan 26 with 2856 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Would you prefer to be top on 16:25 - Jan 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Being top now is utterly irrelevant. Being in the cup now has relevance. Its an easy question to answer. Just ask anybody who remembers a cup run.

In an era when just about anyone plays reserves and trues to lose in cup games it might be a very good idea to try and win a couple of cup games.

As any Villa fan will tell you it is always better to be top of the table at the end f the season.

It is far more difficult to be top at the end if you are out of touch now, though. Of course the OP's case are not out of touch but I would suggest their cup run will not help.

The problem with playing the full first team in every cup match is they are still not guaranteed to beat lower teams and the next tie often is not against a top team. It is a shame the cups are no longer valued. The only way to change that is to even out the financial value of them - lower money riding on leagues and more prize money in the cups. That isn't likely to happen.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Would you prefer to be top on 16:46 - Jan 26 with 2844 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Would you prefer to be top on 11:35 - Jan 26 by patrickswell

If Coventry get promoted this season, then Mark Robins not Jurgen Klopp, should win Manager of the Year. They play to effectively one stand of fans in “home” games and are just 3 points off automatic promotion. They’ve done brilliantly.

And May still lose their best players like pboro .
Robins liked playing against us as well. 😡
Would you prefer to be top on 00:10 - Jan 27 with 2641 viewsAlanG296

Would you prefer to be top on 15:31 - Jan 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's not.

It has always been problematic to league form having a long cup run. It was in the 80s, it was in 2000s and it is now.

If we had still been in the FA Cup, we would have not played yesterday and would be 3rd with a game in hand instead of top with Coventry having the games in hand.

What about the 90s then? Memorable cup run finishing in a great performance at Anfield and Champions of division two in 92. Can still picture Johnson's header in front of us.
Would you prefer to be top on 07:10 - Jan 27 with 2528 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Would you prefer to be top on 10:55 - Jan 26 by strikalite

Only a negative mindset says that guys in their prime and in top physical shape can't play twice a week EVERY week if need be....

All players go through little dips in form, it's always put down to fatigue and fixture congestion, I think it's an easy excuse, it's strange how when you're winning fatigue takes a back seat..

That's just not true. It is beyond me how many people actually believe this. It's not even an opinion, it's proven.

Could they play the games physically. Yes. Would it affect their performance negatively. Yes of course it would. Might still win of course but you have less chance and also more chance of injury.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Would you prefer to be top on 07:20 - Jan 27 with 2516 viewssolemio

Would you prefer to be top on 10:40 - Jan 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Meh.

When we won the FA Cup in 1978, where did we finish in the league?
Would you prefer to be top on 08:06 - Jan 27 with 2462 viewspatrickswell

Would you prefer to be top on 07:20 - Jan 27 by solemio

When we won the FA Cup in 1978, where did we finish in the league?

Wasn’t the drop off in form that season put down to the fact that Town had an horrendous injury list for a lot of it?
Would you prefer to be top on 08:19 - Jan 27 with 2440 viewsitfcjoe

Rather have points on the board than games in hand, but also don't think a cup run is particularly harmful to a league season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024