Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary 16:46 - Jan 26 with 4950 viewshector_clifford

yesterday.

He was talking about Teddy when he came on, and describing the number 10 position as a luxury position. I'd never really thought of it like that before and it is true.

He said from that position, you really need to be contributing goals and assists.

It's fair to give Teddy a bit a leeway, when he is getting just 15 or 20 minutes from the bench, and with his injury history, but I think we should be hoping for him to be doing this soon.

The comments should also apply to Judge now he is getting a run in his best position. I think we should be hoping for a bit more than 1 goal, which was in a 4-1 win.

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 16:58 - Jan 26 with 4827 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It's a team game. Some of it is about scoring goals and getting assists. Some is about keeping possession and creating chances generally. Some is about winning possession and some about keeping a marker busy so they have no other influence on a game. Sometimes too much can be made of what position a player is. Yes, strikers are expected to score more goals than defenders and defenders to make more clearances and successful tackles than strikers.

I am sure Mills thinks he knows the game very well and he was a cracking player. However, it should never be forgotten he was not a successful manager. Whilst there are 11 players on a pitch, not one of them is a luxury. Each has their role and their responsibility. That will change as a match situation changes too. Bishop coming on as a sub when we are 1-0 up will have a different expectation to when we are 1-0 down.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:04 - Jan 26 with 4573 viewsfactual_blue

If you believe many who post on here, Mick Mills has never said anything interesting.

MM has forgotten more about football than such critics will ever know.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:08 - Jan 26 with 4547 viewsGlasgowBlue

Mick also said something interesting when TB replaced AJ a couple of weeks ago.

He said AJ looks to get involved with the strikers whereas TB looks to get more involved with the midfielders.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:08 - Jan 26 with 4537 viewsSouperJim

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:04 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

If you believe many who post on here, Mick Mills has never said anything interesting.

While I respect his knowledge and he sometimes shows good insight, he often talks quite a lot of tripe too.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:16 - Jan 26 with 4468 viewsKeaneish

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:08 - Jan 26 by GlasgowBlue

Mick also said something interesting when TB replaced AJ a couple of weeks ago.

He said AJ looks to get involved with the strikers whereas TB looks to get more involved with the midfielders.

I don’t agree. Judge dropped deep countless times to collect the ball. In fact, if I had a criticism of Judge yesterday I’d say he kept playing short passes backward rather than playing on the turn and committing players. Bishop does this better than Judge but Judge is better at finding pockets of space and linking midfield to attack. I’d say that’s the big difference between the two.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:22 - Jan 26 with 4411 viewsBlueBadger

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:04 - Jan 26 by factual_blue

I've noticed that you spot a true football illiterate by how keen they are to dismiss anyone with the initials MM.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:41 - Jan 26 with 4330 viewsKeaneish

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:22 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

I've noticed that you spot a true football illiterate by how keen they are to dismiss anyone with the initials MM.

Is the football better yet though? That’s what we all want to know.

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:45 - Jan 26 with 4303 viewsBlueBadger

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:41 - Jan 26 by Keaneish

It is now that the manager has listened to people more competent than he is and stopped mucking about with the side endlessly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 19:18 - Jan 26 with 4181 viewsKeaneish

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:45 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

It is now that the manager has listened to people more competent than he is and stopped mucking about with the side endlessly.

I’d argue he’s more than competent and should be given praise. Our up turn in performances have come from a number of things since the Lincoln defeat.

- A settled side and system
- Huws and Keane being match fit and sharp
- Bishop and Sears fit and adding competition
- Changes defensively ie: Wilson sitting and Chambers and Wolfenden allowed to get forward

Within that we’ve been able to change multiple things about our game and looked more dangerous. The only stick to beat PL with us that he rotated too long. However, it’s part of what’s got us top of the league (arguably we might still be there without rotation). Players have had their input from day one and probably far more honestly after Lincoln. Other than that, hard to argue PL isn’t competent. He’ll make more mistakes for sure and we’ll likely lose a few between now and May but credits due for the football we’ve seen recently, especially at home.

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 19:38 - Jan 26 with 4057 viewsfactual_blue

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:22 - Jan 26 by BlueBadger

And by their penchant for the phrase 'you lost, get over it'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 19:38 - Jan 26 with 4061 viewsLeoMuff

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:41 - Jan 26 by Keaneish

3 weeks ago no, at present yes. All very irrelevant though as we are in league 1 with the best squad by a mile

If we go up will be the proper test.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 20:35 - Jan 26 with 3862 viewsGeoffSentence

And he had the most marvellous posture. Ramrod straight, almost like a military man, a joy to behold.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 20:37 - Jan 26 with 3852 viewssparks

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:16 - Jan 26 by Keaneish

I don’t agree. Judge dropped deep countless times to collect the ball. In fact, if I had a criticism of Judge yesterday I’d say he kept playing short passes backward rather than playing on the turn and committing players. Bishop does this better than Judge but Judge is better at finding pockets of space and linking midfield to attack. I’d say that’s the big difference between the two.

Additional criticism- he kept looking for the ball wide. Getting in the way of the wide players, and being unavailable inside for them.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 20:40 - Jan 26 with 3819 viewsKeaneish

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 19:38 - Jan 26 by LeoMuff

3 weeks ago no, at present yes. All very irrelevant though as we are in league 1 with the best squad by a mile

If we go up will be the proper test.

I wouldn’t say it’s irrelevant. We still need to win games and win them well and we’ve started doing that. Long way to go still but no matter the oppo, the football has improved significantly and we’re seeing the patterns of play people were crying out for several months ago.

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 21:14 - Jan 26 with 3694 viewsPilgrimblue

All he ever says is "you know" !!
Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 22:29 - Jan 26 with 3501 viewslinhdi

Danny Blanchflower once said, rightly, "Luxury? It's the bad players who are the luxuries". (He was responding to a suggestion that Hoddle was too much of a luxury to be in the England team).
Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 16:12 - Jan 27 with 3054 viewsGarv

Agree with all of that, but what should it matter if it was a 4-1 win or a 1-0 win? His goal put us 3-1 up.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:06 - Jan 27 with 2884 viewshector_clifford

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 16:12 - Jan 27 by Garv

Agree with all of that, but what should it matter if it was a 4-1 win or a 1-0 win? His goal put us 3-1 up.

Fair enough, but for a player of his quality, he should be a difference maker in tight matches against the better opposition. For example, I would rather he had done something at Oxford or a game like that. He has got 3 good chances to do this though in these big matches coming up though.
If he does, it could give him the confidence to really take us to promotion.

I think his goal put us 3-0 up against Accrington.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2020 18:13]

Poll: Who is your favourite outfield Town player of the 1978 cup winning team?

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:08 - Jan 27 with 2877 viewschicoazul

Given Mick played for many years with one of the best number 10s ever in this country in Eric Gates, he should know what he is talking about.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:41 - Jan 27 with 2796 viewsGaryCooper

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:08 - Jan 27 by chicoazul

Given Mick played for many years with one of the best number 10s ever in this country in Eric Gates, he should know what he is talking about.

Trumped by Trevor Whymark.
Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 18:57 - Jan 27 with 2752 viewshoppy

Mick Mills said something interesting during commentary on 20:35 - Jan 26 by GeoffSentence

And he had the most marvellous posture. Ramrod straight, almost like a military man, a joy to behold.

Town shirts are blue... so is viagara...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024