Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yet another running thread 13:40 - Jan 27 with 1069 viewsBent_double

Yes, sorry, bit of a 'look at me!' post, but I've finally got off the starting blocks, so to speak, and did my first run today, no more excuses or procrastinating!

Considering it was my first proper run in about 25 years, it went OK, just under 2.5k, short rest, then 2.5k back, without stopping at a steady pace.

Any advice from the seasoned runners on here? I'm looking to go 2-3 times a week, keep this distance (approx 5k) for now until I feel more comfortable, then increase I guess.

Any good apps (got an old Android 7 phone) that help keep track of times etc that anyone can recommend?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Yet another running thread on 13:45 - Jan 27 with 1034 viewsEJP

Hi - congratulations on the run!

Strava is good for tracking runs.
If you’re serious about continuing then I’d suggest having a gait analysis for running shoes.
You stand a good chance of injury with shoes that don’t support you correctly.

Other than that, enjoy the experience and remember there’s no such thing as a bad run! Just getting out for a run is a positive!
Yet another running thread on 13:47 - Jan 27 with 1030 viewsitfcjoe

Whilst you have managed 5k, I'd be seriously tempted to try and do the Couch 2 5k programme which will help you build up to 5k at a sub 30 minute time. It really gives you a good grounding and eases your body into running those distances regularly - so will help with injuries.

It may feel too slow at first, but just push yourself more in run sections.

Strava is the best app for running, assume that would work on an android

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Yet another running thread on 13:55 - Jan 27 with 1000 viewsBent_double

Yet another running thread on 13:47 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

Whilst you have managed 5k, I'd be seriously tempted to try and do the Couch 2 5k programme which will help you build up to 5k at a sub 30 minute time. It really gives you a good grounding and eases your body into running those distances regularly - so will help with injuries.

It may feel too slow at first, but just push yourself more in run sections.

Strava is the best app for running, assume that would work on an android

Thanks for the advice.

My son bought me a pair of Nike running shoes for Christmas (he got fed up with me promising I would do it), they seem OK and comfortable, I guess I'd have to venture into Noj to find somewhere to analyse my gait - nowhere to do that I Yarmouth, unsurprisingly!

I'll check out the app, I bet I'll at least need to upgrade my phone first though to one that can handle a newer version of Android...

My times for this run were 19 mins and 18 mins, so 37 mins in total for what I think is around 5k, have to check for sure - but I thought that was OK for a first attempt in such a long time.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Yet another running thread on 13:57 - Jan 27 with 1000 viewsHARRY10

Don't become a Trevor or Colin and start counting times/distances etc.

Having ran quite a few marathons and enjoyed them it was almost embarrassing to listen toi these saddos afterwards (and before). Other than them no one gives a flying feck about their meaningless numbers

Running/cycling swimming etc should be a great time to escape the pressures of life - not to add more to it. Like sex, it is there to be enjoyed so enjoy it - and enjoy exercise as a sentient being aware of the world around you - not let it become yet another master to you.
Yet another running thread on 14:02 - Jan 27 with 985 viewsitfcjoe

Yet another running thread on 13:55 - Jan 27 by Bent_double

Thanks for the advice.

My son bought me a pair of Nike running shoes for Christmas (he got fed up with me promising I would do it), they seem OK and comfortable, I guess I'd have to venture into Noj to find somewhere to analyse my gait - nowhere to do that I Yarmouth, unsurprisingly!

I'll check out the app, I bet I'll at least need to upgrade my phone first though to one that can handle a newer version of Android...

My times for this run were 19 mins and 18 mins, so 37 mins in total for what I think is around 5k, have to check for sure - but I thought that was OK for a first attempt in such a long time.

They are decent for a first time, the programme is a run/walk programme with different intervals which in 9 weeks will have you running for 5k non-stop.

It helps you run at a proper pace rather than just shuffling for as long as you can and I and a few other beginners found it really helpful.

Your times are a great start - but something that will give you early improvements will help give you more of a buzz at times

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Yet another running thread on 14:07 - Jan 27 with 971 viewsSikamikanico

Well done on the run.

I would recommend Strava for tracking.

I would also suggest registering and attending your local parkrun occasionally.

If you can find a like-minded group of runners locally that can help as you can get tips and support there as well
Yet another running thread on 14:09 - Jan 27 with 966 viewsITFC_Forever

I've been running for almost three years now.... started off much like you, no proper exercise for a while.

Mapped out a 2 mile route round the block, ran as much as I could, with walking some bits. Gradually reduced the walking and the first time I ran the whole thing with no walking was an achievement..... don't make the same mistake I did and try and do it every night, you'll get injured.

Then built up the circuit to 2.5 miles, then 5k..... first time I completed that, that was another achievement.

Now run 5k two or three times a week, sometimes add a bit more on to make it 4 miles, and also now do a 10k once a month (same route, two laps). The first time I did 10k, it was the hardest thing I ever did, ached for days after, but now it's ok.

Now do the 5k in around 25.5 minutes (made it under 25 mins twice), sometimes nearer / just over 26 mins, and the 5k in around 54 mins.

Definitely invest in a half-decent pair of running shoes....

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Yet another running thread on 14:15 - Jan 27 with 942 viewsEJP

Yet another running thread on 13:55 - Jan 27 by Bent_double

Thanks for the advice.

Don’t worry about times, just enjoy it!
But... there’s always a but... listen to your body! If you start to get a pain or niggle, slow down or even stop! Finishing the run isn’t worth the effort if it means you cause a long term injury which negates all your hard work.
Login to get fewer ads

Yet another running thread on 14:16 - Jan 27 with 945 viewsGlasgowBlue

I started running about 11 years ago and my advice would be to start slowly and build yourself up.

So in week one and two do a three mile run every couple of days. Then go to 4 or miles.

Within a month you should be comfortable doing a 10k every couple of days.

When you can do that then start to work on your pace. At the moment you are probably doing 10-11 minutes a mile. When you are fitter you should get that down to 8 minutes a mile on your own and even 7 if you are in a competitive environment.

I found that I wanted to run longer so did less runs but for a longer distance.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024