Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tommy Smith 16:12 - Jan 27 with 3811 viewsuefacup81

What is this absolute obsession with signing him again? He doesn't fit in with the style that Lambert wants to play, and there's no room in the squad/budget for another first-team CB to be just hanging around on the off-chance of an injury/change of tactics.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Tommy Smith on 16:13 - Jan 27 with 3249 viewsGarv

Thank the Lord for this post.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Tommy Smith on 16:16 - Jan 27 with 3223 viewsBluefish

I find the excitement by some fairly odd. I'm sure we'd all have him back but I am not sure where he fits in and why are we so desperate to sign cover? The only place I see him is the central role because Chambers and Woolfenden are simply better on the ball and covering full backs. I am not an big Wilson fan but he is doing a job and Skuse would equally do that job well too. Tommy had some limitations when he was here and I'm not convinced that he will have got better while playing out in the hole of the MLS. I'm not against him and it would be lovely for cover and sentimentality but I can think of better ways to spend money.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Tommy Smith on 16:22 - Jan 27 with 3178 viewsitfcjoe

We are short of CBs and there is one on our doorstep who is proven at a higher level

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tommy Smith on 16:23 - Jan 27 with 3163 viewshomer_123

Tommy Smith on 16:22 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

We are short of CBs and there is one on our doorstep who is proven at a higher level

We are not short - we are merely light if injuries hit us and we wish to persist with 3 at the back.

Earl is in, Donacien and Skuse can all play there.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tommy Smith on 16:38 - Jan 27 with 3115 viewsPJH

Tommy Smith on 16:23 - Jan 27 by homer_123

We are not short - we are merely light if injuries hit us and we wish to persist with 3 at the back.

Just about how I see it.

Is he actually a free agent in which case he could presumably be signed outside the transfer window????

As things stand at this moment I do not think that another central defender is necessary.
Tommy Smith on 16:40 - Jan 27 with 3105 viewsitfcjoe

I personally don't want to see Donacien or Skuse there, Lambert doesn't rate JD at all it seems and Skuse won't work with how we are playing.

When you look at the CM options compared to CB options then I'm surprised anyone thinks we aren't ligh there

We'll see what lambert things come Friday

Tommy Smith on 16:41 - Jan 27 with 3090 viewshampstead_blue

Rose tinted.....
We're well stocked if we get an injury or two.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Tommy Smith on 16:46 - Jan 27 with 3066 viewsuefacup81

Tommy Smith on 16:40 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

I personally don't want to see Donacien or Skuse there, Lambert doesn't rate JD at all it seems and Skuse won't work with how we are playing.

When you look at the CM options compared to CB options then I'm surprised anyone thinks we aren't ligh there

So you argue that Skuse wouldn't work at CB given how we're playing, but advocate bringing in Tommy Smith, who also wouldn't work at CB given how we're playing.

Odd.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

Tommy Smith on 16:47 - Jan 27 with 3059 viewsMrTown

I don't think there is an obsession to get Tommy Smith here, but more a sensible suggestion that currently we have 4 CB's when we play 3. And in the central midfield we have about 8.

Where is the balance there?

Tommy Smith is solid defender, more than capable at League 1.
a fully capped international, a left-footed balance, would fit the central role of a back three very well in that more robust and conservative approach compared to the overlapping full backs, played nearly 250 games for Town, 29 years old, settled in Ipswich and free agent, seems bloody sensible business to me...... IF the wages can be sorted.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Tommy Smith on 16:51 - Jan 27 with 3028 viewshomer_123

Tommy Smith on 16:40 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

There is a significant difference between light (which I have said applies if injuries come in) and short.

Tommy Smith on 16:52 - Jan 27 with 3019 viewshomer_123

Tommy Smith on 16:46 - Jan 27 by uefacup81

So you argue that Skuse wouldn't work at CB given how we're playing, but advocate bringing in Tommy Smith, who also wouldn't work at CB given how we're playing.

Odd.

Indeed - Tommy (I really like him by the way) was never great with the ball at his feet.

Tommy Smith on 17:05 - Jan 27 with 2965 viewsIllinoisblue

Tommy Smith on 16:16 - Jan 27 by Bluefish

I find the excitement by some fairly odd. I'm sure we'd all have him back but I am not sure where he fits in and why are we so desperate to sign cover? The only place I see him is the central role because Chambers and Woolfenden are simply better on the ball and covering full backs. I am not an big Wilson fan but he is doing a job and Skuse would equally do that job well too. Tommy had some limitations when he was here and I'm not convinced that he will have got better while playing out in the hole of the MLS. I'm not against him and it would be lovely for cover and sentimentality but I can think of better ways to spend money.

Your point about the quality of MLS is spot on. It, much like League One, is mostly pisspoor

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Tommy Smith on 17:18 - Jan 27 with 2931 viewsitfcjoe

Tommy Smith on 16:46 - Jan 27 by uefacup81

Odd.

Skuse isn’t a CB, Smith is - he could quite easily cover the role Wilson has been playing with no changes.

He has spent his whole NZ career and the majority of his time at the Rapids playing in a back 3

Tommy Smith on 17:41 - Jan 27 with 2863 viewsEireannach_gorm

Tommy Smith on 16:22 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

We are light on CB's but I don't think this is the way to go.

Loved Tommy when he was here and he loved the club but that is in the past( doubt he would be able to run that far now ).
For the future I believe we need scope two Centre Backs for the team. We have one young upcoming CB,one veteran and one journeyman. The veteran will need to be phased out in the not to distant future. We need to cultivate/acquire two further young mobile CB's and blood them with the experienced players. Short term we should go with what we have with maybe a loaner for cover. Not sure Tommy fancies pay for play option.
Tommy Smith on 17:51 - Jan 27 with 2843 viewsGeoffSentence

I know little about Earl, but Skuse is a makeshift centre back and Donacien is a not particularly good centre back.

Tommy is a good centre back, has played at a higher level indeed he has played in a World Cup - one in which his team was unbeaten.

As for the question of whether he can play out of the back or not, that is a hardish one to answer simply because he played under MM where lumping out from the back was the order of the day. That said he did do it and do it very well on occasion.

He is simply a better option than any of the options we already have at the club, outside of the current three encumbents, whether it is worth taking him on could only come down to the money side of things.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tommy Smith on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 2834 viewsBluefish

Tommy Smith on 17:18 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

Skuse isn’t a CB, Smith is - he could quite easily cover the role Wilson has been playing with no changes.

He has spent his whole NZ career and the majority of his time at the Rapids playing in a back 3

Kompany wasn't a CB either. Mustafi is

Tommy Smith on 17:54 - Jan 27 with 2833 viewsGeoffSentence

Tommy Smith on 16:52 - Jan 27 by homer_123

Indeed - Tommy (I really like him by the way) was never great with the ball at his feet.

I have seen him play it with the ball at his feet more than adequately, he's certainly no worse than WIlson or JD in that respect, but his senior career with us was under Mick's management, playing the ball out of defence was not a priority.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Tommy Smith on 18:01 - Jan 27 with 2800 viewsitfcjoe

Tommy Smith on 17:54 - Jan 27 by Bluefish

Kompany wasn't a CB either. Mustafi is

are you comparing Kompany, who came through as a CB and had played plenty there, to 34 year old Cole Skuse who has played about 5 games at CB in this career?

Tommy Smith on 18:14 - Jan 27 with 2747 viewsBluefish

Tommy Smith on 18:01 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

are you comparing Kompany, who came through as a CB and had played plenty there, to 34 year old Cole Skuse who has played about 5 games at CB in this career?

Don't underestimate Kompany

Tommy Smith on 19:11 - Jan 27 with 2663 viewsLeoMuff

Tommy Smith on 17:18 - Jan 27 by itfcjoe

Totally agree, a season ending injury to one of our first team CBs and we are down to Donacian and Skuse which for the rest of the season is a disaster, we have no back up, as we have nothing to go on with Earl.

Smith is better than Wilson and would upgrade the team, and has a few years left in him. He would also give the club a huge lift as an recent years legend.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Tommy Smith on 19:27 - Jan 27 with 2620 viewsHullblue

We’re short on numbers and he would be a significant upgrade on Wilson for the central role - that’s why.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Tommy Smith on 21:59 - Jan 27 with 2425 viewslmfcblue

It’s the same lot who wanted Burley to come in place of PL, some people need to move on
Tommy Smith on 22:01 - Jan 27 with 2415 viewsBluefish

Tommy Smith on 21:59 - Jan 27 by lmfcblue

It’s the same lot who wanted Burley to come in place of PL, some people need to move on

I reckon Burley could get a game in the MLS as well

Tommy Smith on 22:10 - Jan 27 with 2384 viewsCoastalblue

Whole hearted, honest player who I will confess did add something in the attacking third at set pieces, but while I never had a real problem with him, neither did I really get the Smith love in when he was here.

I'd feel a bit meh either way if I'm honest, not that it matters of course, cos I have sod all say in it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Tommy Smith on 00:06 - Jan 28 with 2194 viewslmfcblue

Tommy Smith on 19:27 - Jan 27 by Hullblue

We’re short on numbers and he would be a significant upgrade on Wilson for the central role - that’s why.

I think Wilson is doing a great job
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024