Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? 11:48 - Jan 28 with 4564 viewsMercian

Marcus Evans, I thought, is a very rich man. I am not suggesting we go mad and fall foul of financial fair play and similar regulations but surely we do not have to sell our best players for a couple of £million and even pay a few million on bringing in new players. Can someone enlighten me on what the situation is? Thank you.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:50 - Jan 28 with 3838 viewsuefacup81

Net worth =/= available cash.

You're welcome.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:52 - Jan 28 with 3820 viewsMrTown

Just the way he wishes to run the club. Already significantly in the hole, now looking at developing academy products, using them in the first team then selling them on for good fees, his approach to recoup his investment.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:54 - Jan 28 with 3801 viewsHARRY10

We are around £7m light of what we earned last season - around a 40% drop in income
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:54 - Jan 28 with 3803 viewsMercian

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:50 - Jan 28 by uefacup81

Net worth =/= available cash.

You're welcome.

But it does though. I had enough cash last year to buy myself a very nice VW Up, if i had a greater net worth I could have bought a Golf instead but I did not have the available cash to do so.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 11:56]
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:58 - Jan 28 with 3768 viewsitfcjoe

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:54 - Jan 28 by Mercian

But it does though. I had enough cash last year to buy myself a very nice VW Up, if i had a greater net worth I could have bought a Golf instead but I did not have the available cash to do so.

But then if your Mrs moans at you for not getting a Golf what do you say?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:00 - Jan 28 with 3738 viewsMrTown

Net Worth is inclusive of Assets.

Say he owns a £10 million mansion, it would add to his net worth but its not in liquid cash.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 15:32]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:02 - Jan 28 with 3718 viewsKieran_Knows

Not this again.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:03 - Jan 28 with 3716 viewsuefacup81

But can you then use that same VW Up to purchase a nice holiday in the Caribbean?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:04 - Jan 28 with 3698 viewsOxford_Blue

I doubt he has the disposable cash to be able to spend much more. His worth is based on his assets - the value of his companies were he to sell them. They will produce profit but I doubt it’s huge, given the slow down in the corporate hospitality business and why would he want to throw that money away? A football club is a bad business to own - it costs him £6-10m a year just to own it. The market had moved on now from when he bought the club such that to get into the premiership you need serious money.

There are also financial fair play rules which limit the amount he can spend versus the club’s losses.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:33 - Jan 28 with 3582 viewsBlueBadger

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:52 - Jan 28 by MrTown

Just the way he wishes to run the club. Already significantly in the hole, now looking at developing academy products, using them in the first team then selling them on for good fees, his approach to recoup his investment.

Still, at least he hasn't tied up a not-very-competent manager to a long and expensive to pay off contract.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:34 - Jan 28 with 3562 viewsIllinoisblue

Have you been living in a cave for the entirety of the Evans reign?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:38 - Jan 28 with 3529 viewsScuzzer

Simple....Evans is, in relative terms, not that rich to be an owner.

Established 1968

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 13:01 - Jan 28 with 3456 viewsElephantintheRoom

Marcus Evans got rich by taking money OUT of his businesses.

IF Town can get promoted to the Prem...still theoretically only 18 months away then he gets a £100 million lottery win.

In the meantime running costs must be minimsed just in case it doesn't happen

£10,000 consultancy bill on way

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 13:01 - Jan 28 with 3455 viewsr2d2

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:54 - Jan 28 by HARRY10

We are around £7m light of what we earned last season - around a 40% drop in income

Again, thats Evans fault. He has gotten richer over the last 10 years, whilst the club has fallen further. He is a lot richer than people realise. He has much more wealth outside of this country, than what is written in the tabloids. The club is just used as a front for him.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 13:01 - Jan 28 with 3457 viewsDarth_Koont

That's probably what Evans thought £100 million ago.

He's minimised his losses since then, which unfortunately I think is fair enough. A) because his debt can't just keep increasing and B) believe it or not, under 4 different managers, every time we've stepped it up and spent more money we've ended up going backwards.

Lambert is on the cusp there. KVY looks a great signing, for example, but we still have spent a fair bit over the calendar year. It's only the last few games that we've looked worth that.

I suppose that's the greatest chance of getting Evans to spend more. With Lambert showing that signings can help build the squad, performance levels and results rather than creating confusion and blocking the development of our own player assets.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:39 - Jan 28 with 3170 viewsJimmy86

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 12:33 - Jan 28 by BlueBadger

Still, at least he hasn't tied up a not-very-competent manager to a long and expensive to pay off contract.

Give it a rest.... we had a blip and the rotation went on for too long.... we know this. I think you should pay credit where it's due, especially if he did listen to the players in the well documented lock in after Lincoln. Whatever was said, by both management and players seems to have worked.

He allowed players to have their say, which they clearly have done, the rotation has stopped, settled system and team has achieved results since... can't see Mick doing such a thing, as was his way or nothing.... admittedly he didnt tinker, but saying that he was too far the opposite and would play players regardless of whether they were performing or not, thus creating a comfort zone amongst players, as they knew Micks loyalty and that they'd play no matter what
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 14:41]
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:44 - Jan 28 with 3102 viewsOxford_Blue

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 13:01 - Jan 28 by r2d2

Again, thats Evans fault. He has gotten richer over the last 10 years, whilst the club has fallen further. He is a lot richer than people realise. He has much more wealth outside of this country, than what is written in the tabloids. The club is just used as a front for him.

Give it a rest. These wild and lazy pub allegations against him are not based on any evidence and have been shown to be nonsense. He hasn’t taken any money out of the club, but put £60-70m in, and any offset against his other tax is limited and he’s still worse off.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:46 - Jan 28 with 3093 viewsconnorscontract

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 11:52 - Jan 28 by MrTown

The approach under Paul Hurst marked a shift, too.

Players who had been brought in on small fees were sold on for bigger ones, and some of the profit was then re-invested in lower League stand-outs in the hope of doing so again:

Nolan
Harrison
Nsiala
Jackson wasn't cheap, but I'm guessing they saw a potential upside a la Webster.

Although the jury may still be out on two of them, I think it's fair to say that trading in Waghorn, Garner and Webster for them was a down-grade.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:48 - Jan 28 with 3064 viewsjas0999

Evans made a decision during MMs tenure to off set his so called annual investment with player sales. As a result, we sold our better players, and reinvested a small portion of the fee and wages into cheaper alternatives. Result - a gradual decline in the quality of the playing squad.

Evans never really found the right balance. Arguable reckless spending under RK and PJ, then far too stingy with MM. Even PH saw only approx 50% of Transfer income and was allowed to spend on fees or wages. The result was fees on lower league players as we wouldn’t pay wages of championship players. Very odd.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:53 - Jan 28 with 3043 viewsconnorscontract

I'm sure that Marcus Evans would be delighted if you followed his example and donated a quarter of your net worth to ITFC. When you do that you can go back to him and ask for more.

I mean, if every season ticket holder did that, then we'd easily be able to get back to the Premier League...
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:55 - Jan 28 with 3031 viewsNo9

Simple housekeeping & realtime economics
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:19 - Jan 28 with 2966 viewsBlueBadger

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 14:39 - Jan 28 by Jimmy86

Give it a rest.... we had a blip and the rotation went on for too long.... we know this. I think you should pay credit where it's due, especially if he did listen to the players in the well documented lock in after Lincoln. Whatever was said, by both management and players seems to have worked.

He allowed players to have their say, which they clearly have done, the rotation has stopped, settled system and team has achieved results since... can't see Mick doing such a thing, as was his way or nothing.... admittedly he didnt tinker, but saying that he was too far the opposite and would play players regardless of whether they were performing or not, thus creating a comfort zone amongst players, as they knew Micks loyalty and that they'd play no matter what
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 14:41]

Smashing TWTD revision here. All you needed was 'plus he said a bad word at a football match once' and you'd have done the full set.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 15:20]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:26 - Jan 28 with 2939 viewsJimmy86

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:19 - Jan 28 by BlueBadger

Smashing TWTD revision here. All you needed was 'plus he said a bad word at a football match once' and you'd have done the full set.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 15:20]

I wasnt anti Mick, I appreciated the fact he did a good job with the funds at his disposal and the hand he was dealt by Evan's, but whether you like it or not he also had his faults. Misplaced loyalty at times to certain players was 1 of them. He did a good job at town, but to insinuate that any manager other than Mick is below par or incompetent is wide of the mark.

The treatment of him towards the end was disgraceful and to do it in a local derby was pathetic. He then gave a bit back, which I didnt have a problem with. It was then that it was clear the relationship was broken beyond repair.
Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:27 - Jan 28 with 2932 viewsBlueBadger

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:26 - Jan 28 by Jimmy86

I wasnt anti Mick, I appreciated the fact he did a good job with the funds at his disposal and the hand he was dealt by Evan's, but whether you like it or not he also had his faults. Misplaced loyalty at times to certain players was 1 of them. He did a good job at town, but to insinuate that any manager other than Mick is below par or incompetent is wide of the mark.

The treatment of him towards the end was disgraceful and to do it in a local derby was pathetic. He then gave a bit back, which I didnt have a problem with. It was then that it was clear the relationship was broken beyond repair.

I'm not saying 'anybody other than Mick isn't very good', I'm saying 'Lambert isn't very good, unconvincing at best at the moment, I'm afraid'. Currently, his two winning runs(in the third division that he helped to get us relegated to) look like the 'blips' rather than the losing ones.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 15:29]

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:35 - Jan 28 with 2886 viewsJimmy86

Why are funds so tight at Ipswich? on 15:27 - Jan 28 by BlueBadger

I'm not saying 'anybody other than Mick isn't very good', I'm saying 'Lambert isn't very good, unconvincing at best at the moment, I'm afraid'. Currently, his two winning runs(in the third division that he helped to get us relegated to) look like the 'blips' rather than the losing ones.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 15:29]

Lambert did help take us down, but I think the damage had perhaps already been done, as Hurst had recruited too many players without championship experience. I think Lamberts recruitment has been quite positive. Things seem to be clicking at the right time
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024