Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rotherham were by far the better side 21:47 - Jan 28 with 3875 viewsDarth_Koont

You've got to admit that the better team wins some times.

We didn't play well but that was still down to Rotherham more than us.

Let's learn from it and move on - if we're remotely as good as Rotherham were tonight then we'll go up with them anyway.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:48 - Jan 28 with 3191 viewspointofblue

What a time to be alive as an Ipswich fan. We're not as good as Rotherham.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:48 - Jan 28 with 3186 viewsHerbivore

I thought we were abject to be honest and I don't think that was all down to Rotherham. We were so shocking on the ball even when we had time and space.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:50 - Jan 28 with 3150 viewsitfcjoe

They press extremely well, but if you don't try and pass round and through them it allows them to as they don't tire - wouldn't have taken many passing combinations for them to have stopped playing as they did

They were better at PR against us

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:50 - Jan 28 with 3134 viewsLankHenners

Any team wins when the opposition rolls over and lets you play to your strengths.

I appreciate you’re trying to be optimistic and Rotherham did what they wanted well but there’s an attitude of ‘oh well we gave it a go’ which seems to run throughout the club when standards need to be much much higher, especially where we are now.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:51 - Jan 28 with 3130 viewsJDB23

Learn from it? How many times do we have to get smashed off the park by them with the exact same type of game for Lambert to make adjustments?

We handed that to them, not sure they've had an easier game all season. We couldn't compete anywhere on the pitch.
Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:54 - Jan 28 with 3081 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:48 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

What a time to be alive as an Ipswich fan. We're not as good as Rotherham.

Rotherham were very good. We didn't have enough about us to beat them.

Rotherham played like a Championship side tonight. Fair play - there's a reason why they're top of the table.

We've done that ourselves over the past couple of weeks so let's not get too worked up.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:54 - Jan 28 with 3084 viewsclive_baker

They did a job on us because they seemed to have a coherent shape and system, understand their roles and play with a bit of confidence in the right areas. They did everything we didn't and pressed us to such an extent that we couldn't find any sort of rhythm. You have to question why that is at some stage, I'm not convinced you can purely point to playing personnel.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:56 - Jan 28 with 3032 viewspointofblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:54 - Jan 28 by Darth_Koont

Rotherham were very good. We didn't have enough about us to beat them.

Rotherham played like a Championship side tonight. Fair play - there's a reason why they're top of the table.

We've done that ourselves over the past couple of weeks so let's not get too worked up.

We've done that ourselves against the likes of Accrington and Tranmere. Let's celebrate when we actually manage it against a decent team.

Login to get fewer ads

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:57 - Jan 28 with 3000 viewsSamWhiteUK

I'm not sure how much of it was down to Rotherham - yes, it was partly, but as has been said, even when we had time and space I had absolutely no faith that we were going to create anything from it. A good run from Downes in the first half where he just drove into the space; we needed more of that.

Instead, we played a couple of pointless passes with a few bad first touches thrown in for good measure, before looking up, seeing some red shirts, and launching it over Jackson's head
Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:57 - Jan 28 with 2979 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:48 - Jan 28 by Herbivore

I thought we were abject to be honest and I don't think that was all down to Rotherham. We were so shocking on the ball even when we had time and space.

Yep. Rotherham did well to close us down and were more threatening on the ball, but the unforced errors and and amount of times we wasted posession was a bit of an embarrassment.

They also wanted it more of course - seemed to be like a cup final for their fans from what I could hear.

Balls to all of em, I'm off to do the washing up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:02 - Jan 28 with 2917 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:56 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

We've done that ourselves against the likes of Accrington and Tranmere. Let's celebrate when we actually manage it against a decent team.

Absolutely.

This is League One. And I've only started to take our performances seriously in the last month. That's why I can take being beaten by a better team.

And better team on the day, of course. Because I do know we can show more quality.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:02 - Jan 28 with 2918 viewsunstableblue

Agree Darth.. the board seems to be in complete denial on how well Rotherham pressed Huws and Downes... Downes was surrounded all night.. how technically good they were on the ball individually... and how they were able to switch play...add to that, the Big Guns they bring into set pieces and they are a potent force.

Where we failed was in our abysmal distribution at times, and propensity to go long.

Good on you Darth.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

THEY WERE TECHNICAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 22:03 - Jan 28 with 2893 viewsunstableblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:54 - Jan 28 by clive_baker

They did a job on us because they seemed to have a coherent shape and system, understand their roles and play with a bit of confidence in the right areas. They did everything we didn't and pressed us to such an extent that we couldn't find any sort of rhythm. You have to question why that is at some stage, I'm not convinced you can purely point to playing personnel.

And I'm still not convinced we are under Lambert.... and we haven't been for a decade.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:07 - Jan 28 with 2849 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham were by far the better side on 21:57 - Jan 28 by SamWhiteUK

I'm not sure how much of it was down to Rotherham - yes, it was partly, but as has been said, even when we had time and space I had absolutely no faith that we were going to create anything from it. A good run from Downes in the first half where he just drove into the space; we needed more of that.

Instead, we played a couple of pointless passes with a few bad first touches thrown in for good measure, before looking up, seeing some red shirts, and launching it over Jackson's head

Downes drove into space because he slipped his marker for once.

Yes, maybe we could have used the ball better. But we haven't played against a side this season who has been better at denying space.

They definitely won that game more than we lost it.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:07 - Jan 28 with 2843 viewsHerbivore

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:02 - Jan 28 by unstableblue

Agree Darth.. the board seems to be in complete denial on how well Rotherham pressed Huws and Downes... Downes was surrounded all night.. how technically good they were on the ball individually... and how they were able to switch play...add to that, the Big Guns they bring into set pieces and they are a potent force.

Where we failed was in our abysmal distribution at times, and propensity to go long.

Good on you Darth.

You thought Rotherham were a technical side? Blimey. Your definition of technical seems very flexible. They were agricultural, they hustled and bullied us out of the game.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:09 - Jan 28 with 2817 viewspointofblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:02 - Jan 28 by unstableblue

Good on you Darth.

So is that all teams have to do against us to make us fail then? Press Downes and Huws?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:12 - Jan 28 with 2759 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:09 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

So is that all teams have to do against us to make us fail then? Press Downes and Huws?

Yes, they can try that and most teams will lose.

But Crooks was excellent tonight. He outmuscled and outplayed them as they've been doing to sides over the last few weeks.

And just so we're clear, I'm not blaming our team tonight. Rather I thought Rotherham played exceptionally well over 90 minutes.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:14 - Jan 28 with 2732 viewsN2_Blue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:02 - Jan 28 by Darth_Koont

Absolutely.

This is League One. And I've only started to take our performances seriously in the last month. That's why I can take being beaten by a better team.

And better team on the day, of course. Because I do know we can show more quality.

Darth.... so then how do you explain the below record, (credit to Chrisd for the stats as posted on another thread):

We've played the current Top 10, 11 times this season in the league so far and our record is:

Played - 11
Won - 1 (Burton Albion away)
Drawn - 7
Lost - 3 (Rotherham twice and Portsmouth away)

Points total of 10 from a possible 33. For a side that has aspirations of getting promoted that's woeful.
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 22:15]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:15 - Jan 28 with 2712 viewsunstableblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:09 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

Just had a call from a someone at the game... stated the Rotherham press was so effective... and worryingly exposed that our passing was just not crisp or fast enough to cope.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:18 - Jan 28 with 2663 viewspointofblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:12 - Jan 28 by Darth_Koont

Yes, they can try that and most teams will lose.

But Crooks was excellent tonight. He outmuscled and outplayed them as they've been doing to sides over the last few weeks.

And just so we're clear, I'm not blaming our team tonight. Rather I thought Rotherham played exceptionally well over 90 minutes.

Did they play well or did we let them play well due to our own ineptness?

If I'm honest it's probably 50/50 - they did well but we made it very easy for them. As proven when we woke up and actually tried passing the ball in the last ten.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:22 - Jan 28 with 2592 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:18 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

Did they play well or did we let them play well due to our own ineptness?

If I'm honest it's probably 50/50 - they did well but we made it very easy for them. As proven when we woke up and actually tried passing the ball in the last ten.

That's always 50-50 playing against a good team.

Definitely we could have done better. But there weren't so many moments we had a choice.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:25 - Jan 28 with 2556 viewspointofblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:22 - Jan 28 by Darth_Koont

That's always 50-50 playing against a good team.

Definitely we could have done better. But there weren't so many moments we had a choice.

It'd be nice to see us do it to a decent team. I suppose we did with Sunderland in the first half in August but other than that...

My fear is we're flat track bullies. For the most part we can squeeze the weaker sides but against anyone relatively decent we fall apart.

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:37 - Jan 28 with 2482 viewsbournemouthblue

What's disappointing for me is they looked comfortably better than us tonight, perhaps a division better?

However I think our system suited them and when we went to 442, we looked far more threatening and likely to fashion something

They have a solid, experienced and organised back four and further up the pitch they have Crooks, Barlaser, Vassell, Ogbene and Wiles, several players who will be a handful for anyone at this level

You can see why they are where they are, they're going to be a difficult proposition for anyone in this league

Crooks I particularly like, he is massive and seems a pretty useful footballer. He can potentially do the Skuse role with some added goal threat?

Our challenge is to make sure we have bridged the gap by next season

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:40 - Jan 28 with 2444 viewspointofblue

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:37 - Jan 28 by bournemouthblue

What's disappointing for me is they looked comfortably better than us tonight, perhaps a division better?

However I think our system suited them and when we went to 442, we looked far more threatening and likely to fashion something

They have a solid, experienced and organised back four and further up the pitch they have Crooks, Barlaser, Vassell, Ogbene and Wiles, several players who will be a handful for anyone at this level

You can see why they are where they are, they're going to be a difficult proposition for anyone in this league

Crooks I particularly like, he is massive and seems a pretty useful footballer. He can potentially do the Skuse role with some added goal threat?

Our challenge is to make sure we have bridged the gap by next season

A difficult proposition apparently, yet rolled over and had their tummy's tickled by Peterborough on Saturday so obviously not that brilliant.

That or Peterborough are about to go on a role. Thank goodness we haven't got them comin... oh

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:41 - Jan 28 with 2437 viewsDarth_Koont

Rotherham were by far the better side on 22:25 - Jan 28 by pointofblue

It'd be nice to see us do it to a decent team. I suppose we did with Sunderland in the first half in August but other than that...

My fear is we're flat track bullies. For the most part we can squeeze the weaker sides but against anyone relatively decent we fall apart.

To be fair, we probably don't have to be better than fast-track bullies to get promoted. Certainly, I don't remember many Championship promotion sides who stuck out as outrageous teams — the purist teams were normally in the playoffs while the automatic teams ground out results instead.

We know Rotherham are a good team and a win or even a draw would have been a big result. If we can understand how they beat us and how they stopped us playing then it could still be a valuable result.

They were just very good as a team tonight.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024