Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night 01:34 - Jan 29 with 2456 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Back from Rotherham and I'm really dumbstruck with the performance and Lambert's comments. I'm actually livid following the latter's words.

I'm not a football manager or coach but me and other people could easily see that our tactics were completely wrong. We played a hoofball against a tall, physical side and this is what they wanted as they perfectly dealt with it. Poor Kayden Jackson was forced to chase long, hopeless balls and hardly won a duel against their central backs. He had no service at all from the people that can (are able) to do this job for him. All three Huws, Judge and Edwards were attrocious. Why on earth didn't Bishop get a chance tonight? He had shown some promising signs at Tranmere 10 days ago.

Last minute of the first half where Downes had a run with the ball (ON THE DECK !!!!) and the panic in the Rotherham's defence was visible. Moreover we started playing in the last 8 minutes or so where we were twice close to score (Garbutt's FK and Norwood hitting the post from the angle). There was a movement and effort from us that we lacked in the preceding 80 minutes. Play through Rotherham's defence, play around them and the story of the game could have been and would have been completely different. I expected Lambert to take the responsibility and admitting getting his tactics wrong. His words though really left me flabbergasted:

'there was never any need for me to change anything' - FFS what are you talking about? People saw the tactics were wrong why didn't you?

'I don’t think we did enough to win the game' - we did sod all to win the game. Rotherham had a plethora of shots on and off the target, hit the woodwork twice and the gulf on the pitch was embarrassing at times. The final result is very misleading as it ought to have been a thrashing.

'I wasn’t too disappointed tonight, OK' - Dear me ! Of course you aren't disappointed as you are safe for the next 5 years in regard to your income so you will get away with any bad performance.

That was a mccarthyism tonight, mccarthysim in the 3rd tier. Both Lambert and mccarthy similarly stubborn as managers, similar style of football at times (tonight was a real one), financially safe due to the fat contract. Both of them really tedious and yapping about things from the past not related to our club. Lambert repeating about winning Champions League in Germany whereas mccarthy asked about his opinions before Ipswich - Norwich matches constantly repeated the same thing that the biggest derby he was involved with was Celtic - Rangers. The only missing piece of jigsaw from Lambert is treating our fans with a contempt and insult them like mccarthy did.

Will Norris is the only player that can come out with credit tonight as he saved us from the greater defeat.

That's 6 points for Rotherham against us and they completely outplayed us on both occasions. Rotherham being a better club than us, Millwall coming to pick up one of our best players. What a time to be alive !

Once again we struggle against the top team in this league. I can accept losing but not lack of effort and tactics that are completely wrong. Where do we go from last night? I have no idea as I'm really dazed after this game.

Nearly 1000 Town fans at the game who were tortured by watching a horrible hoofball where Jackson was forced to chase long balls.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 1:45]
Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:16 - Jan 29 with 2161 viewsBluefish

Agreed, it was painful to watch. The only person there that didnt want the Bishop change was PR Paul.

The bloke next to me said when Nolan came on "oh great now we have 2 players that can pass it backwards" (Nolan Judge) he was right. We had chances to break but we had no idea where to go. Sears was miles off being ready.

Will Keane is a lovely player but he is a waste of time in Lambo ball and so is Jackson. How can PR Paul not have seen yet how ridiculous that we look kicking long to them both?

Downes is the only one to come out of it with credit for me, the bloke is unbelievable. I can't give Norris credit despite a couple of good saves, his kicking is worse than Gerken and he made a mess of the goal. I hope to never see Edwards in a town shirt again, either player Donacien or get someone else in this week.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:24 - Jan 29 with 2122 viewsChrisd

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:16 - Jan 29 by Bluefish

Agreed, it was painful to watch. The only person there that didnt want the Bishop change was PR Paul.

The bloke next to me said when Nolan came on "oh great now we have 2 players that can pass it backwards" (Nolan Judge) he was right. We had chances to break but we had no idea where to go. Sears was miles off being ready.

Will Keane is a lovely player but he is a waste of time in Lambo ball and so is Jackson. How can PR Paul not have seen yet how ridiculous that we look kicking long to them both?

Downes is the only one to come out of it with credit for me, the bloke is unbelievable. I can't give Norris credit despite a couple of good saves, his kicking is worse than Gerken and he made a mess of the goal. I hope to never see Edwards in a town shirt again, either player Donacien or get someone else in this week.

Harsh on Norris for the goal, their bloke has more or less a free header from 6 yards out and Norris gets the block in, he needs his defenders around him to help him out. A reflection on the night, the Rotherham players were more hungry from the first whistle and got to the ball first, the goal a case in point. Not sure we have the appetite for the fight if I'm being honest.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 7:29]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:30 - Jan 29 with 2059 viewsReuser_is_God

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:24 - Jan 29 by Chrisd

Harsh on Norris for the goal, their bloke has more or less a free header from 6 yards out and Norris gets the block in, he needs his defenders around him to help him out. A reflection on the night, the Rotherham players were more hungry from the first whistle and got to the ball first, the goal a case in point. Not sure we have the appetite for the fight if I'm being honest.

It’s not harsh on Norris.

He had time to put his legs together to block the ball therefore he’d have had time to bring his arms together & gather the ball. Was a woeful bit of goalkeeping.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:34 - Jan 29 with 2012 viewsChrisd

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:30 - Jan 29 by Reuser_is_God

It’s not harsh on Norris.

He had time to put his legs together to block the ball therefore he’d have had time to bring his arms together & gather the ball. Was a woeful bit of goalkeeping.

You don't have that much time to react when a player is so close to the goal, you just want to get something in the way to block it and the fact he heads it down into the ground makes the save more tricky. Where are his defenders to help him out? Pretty much like our performance last night gone AWOL.

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:34 - Jan 29 with 2011 viewsTractorCam

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:24 - Jan 29 by Chrisd

12 yards, and it's straight at him. Sounds like he had a good game other than that though, and yes the defence should also be doing better with that. Just a mess all round.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:41 - Jan 29 with 1936 viewsernie

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:34 - Jan 29 by TractorCam

12 yards, and it's straight at him. Sounds like he had a good game other than that though, and yes the defence should also be doing better with that. Just a mess all round.

Lambert also said in his post match comments that he expected it to be that kind of match, warned the players beforehand and that his gameplan was not to get caught up in that kind of game. How can you blame him, when clearly the players aren't composed and cerebral enough to see the way the game is going and change the way they are playing?
Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:45 - Jan 29 with 1916 viewsChrisd

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:34 - Jan 29 by TractorCam

8 yards as a compromise, there's bodies in front of him too which can be distracting. I'm not Norris' biggest fan, but he had a solid game. Not many others wearing a blue shirt can come out with much credit.

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:48 - Jan 29 with 1902 viewshaynes_toe1

I've said ever since the start of the season for the type of player and squad we have in general we play too much hoofball. It's no different to under McCarthy except it's in the third tier of English football and its somehow managing to be less effective too.
Login to get fewer ads

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 10:35 - Jan 29 with 1594 viewsITFC_Forever

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:45 - Jan 29 by Chrisd

8 yards as a compromise, there's bodies in front of him too which can be distracting. I'm not Norris' biggest fan, but he had a solid game. Not many others wearing a blue shirt can come out with much credit.

Norris wasn't wearing a blue shirt.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 12:03 - Jan 29 with 1432 viewsSharkey

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:34 - Jan 29 by Chrisd

You don't have that much time to react when a player is so close to the goal, you just want to get something in the way to block it and the fact he heads it down into the ground makes the save more tricky. Where are his defenders to help him out? Pretty much like our performance last night gone AWOL.

I agree that the goalkeeper needs to get a bit lucky with help from his defenders in situations like that. (Watch Dean Gerken's fantastic save for Colchester last night which would have counted for nothing if his defenders hadn't reacted quickest.)

But the way Norris runs complaining to the ref suggests he knows he's messed up a bit - goalkeepers mostly adopt the Peter Schmeichel approach when apportioning blame.
Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 12:08 - Jan 29 with 1411 viewsclive_baker

Agree with all of that. I only had to watch it on a screen, I sympathise with and respect those that went up there. Hopefully we put it right Saturday.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 14:06 - Jan 29 with 1254 viewsEireannach_gorm

Awful, embarrassing in every aspect last night on 07:41 - Jan 29 by ernie

Lambert also said in his post match comments that he expected it to be that kind of match, warned the players beforehand and that his gameplan was not to get caught up in that kind of game. How can you blame him, when clearly the players aren't composed and cerebral enough to see the way the game is going and change the way they are playing?

Is your contention that the players went against the direction of their manager? The unfortunate truth appears to be that Paul is not very good tactically and he did not set his team up to counter the opponent threats and exploit their weaknesses.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024