Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching 1917.. inspired me... 10:54 - Jan 29 with 5070 viewsunstableblue

.... to watch Dunkirk again. Dunkirk is a masterpiece of a film. Well worth a revisit or a first watch if you haven't seen it.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 18:17 - Jan 29 with 907 viewsbluejacko

Dunkirk was essentially about two blokes who deserted their unit and tried all means to get away.
Bit shameful really!
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 18:18]
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 18:42 - Jan 29 with 885 viewsbrogansnose

I really enjoyed Dunkirk and thought which I feel was enhanced because it was a film better for being seen on a big screen especially with the excellent sountrack. Yes, there are parts like the Spitfire firing too many bullets which was plain cobblers but the way in which the time lapses came together , to me , added a depth rather than just a linear story.

1917 was another film to be watched at the cinema rather than TV. I enjoyed it but in parts I felt that Mendes was desperate to get in some WW1 gore and horror and to me there were lots of questions about parts of the story line, for example why did they cross no mans land when troops were driving up to the canal and what the chuff was the waterfall doing in Northern France ? You had to suspend too much belief in the story but as a piece of cinema I liked it but it wasn't a patch on Dunkirk.
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 18:50 - Jan 29 with 876 viewsunstableblue

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 18:42 - Jan 29 by brogansnose

I really enjoyed Dunkirk and thought which I feel was enhanced because it was a film better for being seen on a big screen especially with the excellent sountrack. Yes, there are parts like the Spitfire firing too many bullets which was plain cobblers but the way in which the time lapses came together , to me , added a depth rather than just a linear story.

1917 was another film to be watched at the cinema rather than TV. I enjoyed it but in parts I felt that Mendes was desperate to get in some WW1 gore and horror and to me there were lots of questions about parts of the story line, for example why did they cross no mans land when troops were driving up to the canal and what the chuff was the waterfall doing in Northern France ? You had to suspend too much belief in the story but as a piece of cinema I liked it but it wasn't a patch on Dunkirk.

I thought the spitfire scenes were inspired, the creaking of the planes, the slowness, the poor sights, the short bursts...

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:01 - Jan 29 with 862 viewsbrogansnose

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 18:50 - Jan 29 by unstableblue

I thought the spitfire scenes were inspired, the creaking of the planes, the slowness, the poor sights, the short bursts...

Oh, yeah I agree, I was meaning more factually that they only carried ammo for about 30 seconds firing time but facts get blurred in flims otherwise the story suffers. My point being that we there has to be a balance between the story and fact and if there is an inbalance then its difficult to suspend disbelief, if you get my drift ? The Spitfire bits of the film , to me also, were well done and didn't cause disbelief.

Probably not explaining myself well here.
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:03 - Jan 29 with 851 viewsjeera

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:01 - Jan 29 by brogansnose

Oh, yeah I agree, I was meaning more factually that they only carried ammo for about 30 seconds firing time but facts get blurred in flims otherwise the story suffers. My point being that we there has to be a balance between the story and fact and if there is an inbalance then its difficult to suspend disbelief, if you get my drift ? The Spitfire bits of the film , to me also, were well done and didn't cause disbelief.

Probably not explaining myself well here.

I'm not sure if it's your explaining or my misunderstanding.

So at which part did the Tin Man get a heart?

Edit: Can you advise on Darkest Hour?
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 19:05]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:09 - Jan 29 with 844 viewsbrogansnose

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:03 - Jan 29 by jeera

I don't think Jason Statham was in Paris Texas.

Edit: Not seen Darkest Hour tbh J. I really should get round to doing so.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 19:11]
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:24 - Jan 29 with 832 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"Dunkirk is a masterpiece of a film"

It's a good film alright but to describe it as a 'masterpiece' is hyperbole of the highest order.

It's awash with continuity errors; it's sunny, it's stormy, it's sunny again, there's leaves on trees, no leaves, leaves are back on the trees.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 20:02 - Jan 29 with 804 viewsSwansea_Blue

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:10 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

Alan Brazil wasn't keen on Dunkirk as there weren't hundreds of Spitfires crushing The Hun.

I'm not sure if he did history at school.

I’m not sure if he did school

He’s built up enough brownie points to be let off though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 20:41 - Jan 29 with 790 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 19:03 - Jan 29 by jeera

Darkest hour is a decent movie imo.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 21:09 - Jan 29 with 778 viewsTerra_Farma

Two great war films.

The cinematography in 1917 is superb. It gives a small glimpse into the hell these young lads were thrown into.
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 09:54 - Jan 30 with 722 viewsr2d2

Didnt rate Dunkirk. Just a bit of continuity news. The train carriages they were seen in weren't built until the 1960s. Someone wasnt doing their homework about 1940s trains for Dunkirk.
[Post edited 30 Jan 2020 9:58]
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 10:13 - Jan 30 with 711 viewsHARRY10

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 18:50 - Jan 29 by unstableblue

rather than start a new thread

"The last surviving ace who fought in the Battle of Britain has died, aged 101.

'Wg Cmdr Paul Farnes was one of 3,000 Allied pilots who fought in the Battle of Britain, considered to be the first decisive battle to be fought entirely in the air. He died peacefully at his home on Tuesday morning, The Times reported. There are now just two surviving Battle of Britain pilots left."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/29/last-battle-of-britain-flying-ace-
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:41 - Jan 30 with 682 viewsBlue_Order

Band of Brothers > any other war drama
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024