Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Re nationalising trains 14:12 - Jan 29 with 3204 viewsHARRY10

The Northern rail franchise is to be renationalised, the government has announced, with the state operator of last resort taking over the running of the struggling network from 1 March.

The decision means that the Conservatives have nationalised two major rail franchises in less than two years, after taking over the East Coast line in June 2018, now run as LNER after the collapse of Virgin Trains East Coast.

Shapps last week admitted that the future of another, South West Railway, was in doubt, after the First Group-MTR joint-venture said it was running out of cash. Questions also hang over the TransPennine Express and West Midlands Trains franchises.

Shapps admitted that the privatised model was not working, saying: “We know change is needed and change is coming.”

Unsurprisingly the latter was not mentioned during the election campaign

So what next ?

As the UK lags behind the rest of the EU for ultra fast broadband perhaps the UK government will look to fund a faster roll out. You know, one where the majority of households are connected - on the basis that long terminvestment is better than short term profit when it comes to national infrastructure
Re nationalising trains on 14:33 - Jan 29 with 2204 viewsBiGDonnie

Hopefully South Eastern and Thameslink go that way too. Shocking service on both, Thameslink slightly better.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Re nationalising trains on 14:33 - Jan 29 with 2201 viewschicoazul

Those awful right wing Tories, at it again!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Re nationalising trains on 14:49 - Jan 29 with 2181 viewshomer_123

The problem with Northern Rail is not the franchise but the capacity of the line (infrastructure) to deal with the level of trains that need/ should be run.

In this scenario - bringing into Public ownership will make no difference to service levels.

Investment needs to be made in the infrastructure by Network Rail.

Also, the £500m kitty for investing to Beeching lines is an utter waste - the cost to build a mile of train track is between £20m and £30m per mile! LOL

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Re nationalising trains on 15:03 - Jan 29 with 2153 viewsmonytowbray

Re nationalising trains on 14:33 - Jan 29 by chicoazul

You don’t really get it, do you?

The privatisation of the railways has made many people rich at the expense of the nation. Sh1ttting on the carpet and offering to clean it up once it’s left a stain and stunk the whole house out comes to mind.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Re nationalising trains on 15:04 - Jan 29 with 2146 viewsLord_Lucan

Re nationalising trains on 15:03 - Jan 29 by monytowbray

The privatisation of the railways has made many people rich at the expense of the nation. Sh1ttting on the carpet and offering to clean it up once it’s left a stain and stunk the whole house out comes to mind.

Were you dropped as a child?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Re nationalising trains on 15:07 - Jan 29 with 2114 viewshampstead_blue

Hopefully this will lead to a change in the franchise model.
We need a balance between profit and public good.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Re nationalising trains on 15:07 - Jan 29 with 2132 viewsusm

"Shapps admitted that the privatised model was not working, saying: “We know change is needed and change is coming.”

Unsurprisingly the latter was not mentioned during the election campaign"

I thought he did intimate possibly nationalising it in the run up to the GE - certainly someone was whinging on the BBC this morning about him NOT following through on his election promise to re-nationalise it. He cant win can he, really.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Re nationalising trains on 15:13 - Jan 29 with 2118 viewsyesjohn99

From a workers point of view BR was great. Literally done nothing all day for weeks on end booking overtime left right and centre.

Four trains an hour to London would never existed under a nationalised railway though.
Login to get fewer ads

Re nationalising trains on 15:15 - Jan 29 with 2107 viewsjeera

Re nationalising trains on 14:33 - Jan 29 by chicoazul

Hold on.

Don't you mean 'Bloody Commies'?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Re nationalising trains on 15:22 - Jan 29 with 2085 viewsPinewoodblue

They will, in the next 12 months, put northern rail out to contract but this time it will cover not just the train franchise but also the track.

My guess anyway.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Re nationalising trains on 15:26 - Jan 29 with 2074 viewsDarth_Koont

Re nationalising trains on 15:13 - Jan 29 by yesjohn99

From a workers point of view BR was great. Literally done nothing all day for weeks on end booking overtime left right and centre.

Four trains an hour to London would never existed under a nationalised railway though.

"Four trains an hour to London would never existed under a nationalised railway though."

Why do you think that? It also suggests we have privatised rail travel now when the service is predominantly still under public control and governmental remit but franchised out.

Nationalised or more liberalised we need a government that takes more overall responsibility for it working for the benefit of the country. Which critically means much more investment in infrastructure and holding operators to account for the public good.

Pronouns: He/Him

Re nationalising trains on 15:29 - Jan 29 with 2047 viewshomer_123

Re nationalising trains on 15:22 - Jan 29 by Pinewoodblue

They will, in the next 12 months, put northern rail out to contract but this time it will cover not just the train franchise but also the track.

My guess anyway.

Somewhat difficult with Network Rail being responsible for track and infrastructure.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Re nationalising trains on 15:36 - Jan 29 with 2020 viewsmonytowbray

Re nationalising trains on 15:04 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

Were you dropped as a child?

Your lack of ability to engage with anything that’s said really makes me wonder why you use up time responding on here at all. Usually what happens is what you’ve done here. You get stumped and pretend to take the high ground and not engage or just resort to a dig. You do it a fair bit.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:37]

TWTD never forgets…

Re nationalising trains on 15:39 - Jan 29 with 2001 viewsmonytowbray

Profit drives everything now sadly and it’s getting worse. The private companies get more financial support now than the public rail setup did. Much like ITFC, a lack of investment means doing best with what’s there.

TWTD never forgets…

Re nationalising trains on 15:43 - Jan 29 with 1991 viewschicoazul

Nah. The entire system should be renationalised in full rather than the current p1ss poor franchise agreement which benefits railways in Holland and Germany but makes ours so bad. Some things should never be privatised and rail is one of them. BR would have been able to benefit from the advances in technology over the last 40 years.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Re nationalising trains on 16:00 - Jan 29 with 1947 viewsWD19

Like all of these things, change is helpful.....

Public ownership/monopoly for a long period of time breeds complacency and lethargy.

Private ownership for a sustained period of time bleeds out investment.

Neither model is universally right or wrong. Both have advantages, both have drawbacks.
Re nationalising trains on 16:13 - Jan 29 with 1913 viewsLord_Lucan

Re nationalising trains on 15:36 - Jan 29 by monytowbray

Your lack of ability to engage with anything that’s said really makes me wonder why you use up time responding on here at all. Usually what happens is what you’ve done here. You get stumped and pretend to take the high ground and not engage or just resort to a dig. You do it a fair bit.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:37]

It could be that, or it could be because people like you infuriate me - this isn't because of your political beliefs because people from both sides of the line do it, albeit lefties seem to be the worst culprits.

What you do Callis is search the news for bad press stories on The Tories or Boris or both, you then fling up any sort of news report probably without even researching where the source came from and if it's true.

On a bad Callis news day (Today) you have actually criticised the government for implementing a policy that you actually agree with.

You're a piece of work.

Edit; Oh and what am I stumped on do you think?
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 16:19]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Re nationalising trains on 16:23 - Jan 29 with 1870 viewsmonytowbray

Re nationalising trains on 16:13 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

It could be that, or it could be because people like you infuriate me - this isn't because of your political beliefs because people from both sides of the line do it, albeit lefties seem to be the worst culprits.

What you do Callis is search the news for bad press stories on The Tories or Boris or both, you then fling up any sort of news report probably without even researching where the source came from and if it's true.

On a bad Callis news day (Today) you have actually criticised the government for implementing a policy that you actually agree with.

You're a piece of work.

Edit; Oh and what am I stumped on do you think?
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 16:19]

Ny suggestion would be deal with the words I say rather than having some kind of character breakdown of my intent every time I post and finding all the context you can that doesn’t exist.

Suppose it’s nice to know I live rent free somewhere though.

EDIT: Veganism and the "live and let live" concept you insisted I should acknowledge, yesterday's rather inappropriate comment about homophobic slurs, some examples I remember.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 16:31]

TWTD never forgets…

Re nationalising trains on 16:24 - Jan 29 with 1860 viewsBrixtonBlue

This was apparently a bad idea when it was Labour's.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Re nationalising trains on 16:31 - Jan 29 with 1841 viewsLord_Lucan

Re nationalising trains on 16:23 - Jan 29 by monytowbray

Ny suggestion would be deal with the words I say rather than having some kind of character breakdown of my intent every time I post and finding all the context you can that doesn’t exist.

Suppose it’s nice to know I live rent free somewhere though.

EDIT: Veganism and the "live and let live" concept you insisted I should acknowledge, yesterday's rather inappropriate comment about homophobic slurs, some examples I remember.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 16:31]

Does any of that actually make sense?

Re nationalising trains on 16:33 - Jan 29 with 1833 viewsmonytowbray

Re nationalising trains on 16:31 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

Does any of that actually make sense?

Yes, considering you've just wrote a list of incorrect assumptions of how my political compass is formed it doesn't surprise me you can't grasp it though.

Must make life easier when you make your mind up about someone without actually engaging with what they say I guess...

TWTD never forgets…

Re nationalising trains on 16:36 - Jan 29 with 1818 viewsLord_Lucan

Re nationalising trains on 16:33 - Jan 29 by monytowbray

Yes, considering you've just wrote a list of incorrect assumptions of how my political compass is formed it doesn't surprise me you can't grasp it though.

Must make life easier when you make your mind up about someone without actually engaging with what they say I guess...

OK Callis

See ya later alligator.

Re nationalising trains on 16:39 - Jan 29 with 1795 viewsmonytowbray

Re nationalising trains on 16:36 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

OK Callis

See ya later alligator.

Comes in, makes unneeded sh1tty remarks, walks away pretending to have moral high ground. Thanks for proving my point :)

The double standards of TWTD never fail to make me laugh.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 16:40]

TWTD never forgets…

Re nationalising trains on 16:44 - Jan 29 with 1772 viewsPinewoodblue

Re nationalising trains on 15:29 - Jan 29 by homer_123

Somewhat difficult with Network Rail being responsible for track and infrastructure.

Think outside the box. If you put infrastructure and trains under the same control the franchise holder has no hiding place. Spend money on extra platforms, where physically possible and slow trains will not hinder express services so much.

Leading * presumably to increased line capacity.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Re nationalising trains on 17:11 - Jan 29 with 1736 viewschicoazul

Re nationalising trains on 16:44 - Jan 29 by Pinewoodblue

Think outside the box. If you put infrastructure and trains under the same control the franchise holder has no hiding place. Spend money on extra platforms, where physically possible and slow trains will not hinder express services so much.

Leading * presumably to increased line capacity.

Or don't think about a box at all and simply renationalise the entire network and run it via central control with clear lines of responsibility. We could call it British Rail or something like that.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024