Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ridiculous from the Tories 10:23 - Jan 30 with 6852 viewsStokieBlue

Building the largest gas power station in Europe is not the way to show the world we are serious about cutting emissions. Sure it's better than coal but given the wealth of renewables around the UK it seems the wrong direction to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jan/30/uk-sued-for-approving-europe

"The plant, being developed by Drax in north Yorkshire, would become the biggest gas power station in Europe and could produce 75% of the UK’s power sector emissions when fully operational"

We need a nationalised renewable energy company which will design, build and install solutions, providing jobs and keeping money inside the UK.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ridiculous from the Tories on 16:22 - Feb 19 with 425 viewsChurchman

I noticed at the turn of the year several sources stated zero-carbon energy became Britain’s largest electricity source in 2019, delivering nearly half the country’s electrical power and for the first time outstripping generation by fossil fuels. Maybe we are, overall, heading in the right direction?

I know nothing about this, but it seems to me that a balance of ways of producing energy is the most sensible course, at least in the short term. The other thing I’ve always wondered is that since the country sits on 300 years of coal, could we not invest in the technology to burn it efficiently without trashing the atmosphere/planet? Bit like incinerator technology rather than landfill. Just thoughts.
Ridiculous from the Tories on 18:57 - Feb 19 with 391 viewsEwan_Oozami

The Government is also going to create giant communal treadmills for electricity generation, and every UK citizen will be required to hobble, walk or run on them for at least 8 hours a week to build up credits to allow them to access education, health and social care.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Ridiculous from the Tories on 20:00 - Feb 19 with 376 viewsChurchman

Ridiculous from the Tories on 18:57 - Feb 19 by Ewan_Oozami

The Government is also going to create giant communal treadmills for electricity generation, and every UK citizen will be required to hobble, walk or run on them for at least 8 hours a week to build up credits to allow them to access education, health and social care.....

The original Victorian treadmills were not connected to anything. The convicts just spent all day walking that roller, so your. suggestion would be modernising progress!
Ridiculous from the Tories on 21:18 - Feb 19 with 358 viewsDoctor_Earman

The UK’s whole electrical generation capacity, in all forms of power, is 85 gigawatts. If we gave up using electricity entirely, it would make no difference at all to the impact of Chinese coal burning on the atmosphere.

None. Not any. Zero. If we completely abolish all our fossil-fuel generation, including gas, it would likewise not matter in the slightest — except to us, our economy and our standard of living.
Ridiculous from the Tories on 21:36 - Feb 19 with 342 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ridiculous from the Tories on 21:18 - Feb 19 by Doctor_Earman

The UK’s whole electrical generation capacity, in all forms of power, is 85 gigawatts. If we gave up using electricity entirely, it would make no difference at all to the impact of Chinese coal burning on the atmosphere.

None. Not any. Zero. If we completely abolish all our fossil-fuel generation, including gas, it would likewise not matter in the slightest — except to us, our economy and our standard of living.

I get your point that it is such a small drop in the ocean the real impact is minimal. However, we can only do what we have control over and we cannot criticise/encourage China to be more conscientious if we will not be.

If I think my own litter and landfill is tiny in comparison to that of the rest of the UK I have no incentive to be better with it. However, I expect my attitude to be multiplied across the country. If it could be across the world even better still. Maybe even if I pick up someone else's litter I might have some (albeit small) positive impact. I won't expect you to buy into it but maybe 99% of the rest of the population might. Here's hoping.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024