Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? 09:49 - Jan 31 with 2682 viewsMookamoo

I've had two clients who have pulled back on projects. It's not a huge amount in the scheme of things but enough to get irritated about.

One was expecting a chunk of money from the European Agricultural Fund for a phase 2 of an existing development, but as its seen as a 'new' project it won't be covered by the Government guarantee. The other is a charity who gets funding from the European Regional Development Fund so everything new is on indefinite hold util they see where new funding will be available.
Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 09:54 - Jan 31 with 2652 viewsr2d2

Yes, less of Laura Kuenssberg on our tv, which is a blessing. Most miserable looking person on tv. So thats a big plus.
Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 10:00 - Jan 31 with 2630 viewsSomethingBlue

Not personally (yet) but a good friend of mine has been made redundant as a direct result of his firm losing a couple of big European clients due to Brexit, well done everyone.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 10:01 - Jan 31 with 2625 viewsSwansea_Blue

Hell yeah. Much as you've said around ERDF and ESF projects, and senior and junior colleagues moving out, including taking grants with them. So financial and HR problems so far, but this is barely the start - end of the year and what happens between now and then are key. We've still got 11 months (at least) of uncertainty.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2020 10:04]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 10:03 - Jan 31 with 2607 viewsitfcjoe

We lost a buyer on a property due to uncertainty not long after the vote - the land is still sitting their costing us money as we'd only purchased it for them and changed a load of plans around.

Sure there were other reasons, but that was the one given - and the reality is it has caused us no end of problems as a business and continues to do so

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 10:36 - Jan 31 with 2554 viewsBloomBlue

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 09:54 - Jan 31 by r2d2

Yes, less of Laura Kuenssberg on our tv, which is a blessing. Most miserable looking person on tv. So thats a big plus.

Hopefully not less of Katya Adler, always has a tangible effect on me when on TV, fantastic legs
Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 11:32 - Jan 31 with 2509 viewsBlueBadger

Been feeling it for three years in the NHS thanks to large numbers of EU nurses leaving and no replacements coming in either domestically(thanks to government policy regarding student nurse funding) or from overseas(thanks to government policy that says 'booooo foreigners and experts').

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 11:44 - Jan 31 with 2482 viewsLord_Lucan

I fear our graphic designer is going to put his prices up.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 11:50 - Jan 31 with 2451 viewsBlueNomad

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 11:32 - Jan 31 by BlueBadger

Been feeling it for three years in the NHS thanks to large numbers of EU nurses leaving and no replacements coming in either domestically(thanks to government policy regarding student nurse funding) or from overseas(thanks to government policy that says 'booooo foreigners and experts').

The irony for those who moaned about “foreigners” clogging up queues at hospitals and GP surgeries.......
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 12:00 - Jan 31 with 2434 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes - owing to the devaluation in the £ since the referendum I and everyone else in the country has effectively lost a year's salary.

I've put the house on the market - in the hope that there is a six month window before Boris' red lines make doing trade deals with the EU and the USA impossible. 'Canada Plus Plus Plus' and other jargon should keep reality well hidden for a few months yet.

Plan A is to move the whole family to France - with no Plan B

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 12:53 - Jan 31 with 2406 viewsBlueBadger

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 11:50 - Jan 31 by BlueNomad

The irony for those who moaned about “foreigners” clogging up queues at hospitals and GP surgeries.......

Still, come tomorrow, I'll have 52% of the workload as the expert-phobic element of the population honour democracy by having no more to do with us.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:29 - Jan 31 with 2338 viewsr2d2

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 12:00 - Jan 31 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes - owing to the devaluation in the £ since the referendum I and everyone else in the country has effectively lost a year's salary.

I've put the house on the market - in the hope that there is a six month window before Boris' red lines make doing trade deals with the EU and the USA impossible. 'Canada Plus Plus Plus' and other jargon should keep reality well hidden for a few months yet.

I find people so strange sometimes. Go join the cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:34 - Jan 31 with 2323 viewsTJS

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 12:00 - Jan 31 by ElephantintheRoom

I voted remain but I have definitely not lost a year's salary since 2016 by any measure
Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:54 - Jan 31 with 2276 viewsElephantintheRoom

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:34 - Jan 31 by TJS

I voted remain but I have definitely not lost a year's salary since 2016 by any measure

You definately have by the only measure that matters £1 = ?$ or indeed Euro?

All you have to do is look at where the £ was going to post referendum if sanity prevailed (back to where it was circa 1.4 euros per £) and where it went when idiocy prevailed.

Simple maths...if anything a year's salary is 'conservative' given that the shrinking economy post-referendum would have been less shrunk and the £ perhaps even more buoyant than it once was

Granted there have been ways for Brits to minimise their losses - eg get excited about 20% stock market gains when the £ is worth 20% less - but that doesnt help a great deal either

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 14:00 - Jan 31 with 2268 viewsGuthrum

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:29 - Jan 31 by r2d2

I find people so strange sometimes. Go join the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Suggest you pay a visit to Verdun before calling them that.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 14:03 - Jan 31 with 2264 viewsclive_baker

I think the challenge is it's very difficult to quantify the impact, and always will be. No doubt there will be winners, but net we've got more to lose IMO. People might not think they're being impacted, but they perhaps might not notice the impact to them. For example, increases to RRP's in Grocery stores, and ongoing shrinkflation are often a consequence of the rising cost of raw materials if bought in from Europe, due to a weak £ since the vote.

What I would say in the interest of balance is that the £ has been a lot more robust than many suspected it to be. Today it stands at 1.19 vs EUR, which is broadly where it averaged between 2011 - 2014. The question is can it stay there. I'm minded to think, like a lot of these things, we'll never truly be able to quantify the impact, and the reality is in 5, 10, 15 years time there will probably be little meaningful impact economically that we can point to, as much as people will try.

The biggest regret to me is that we've cut ourselves off from our European neighbours, and I love Europe. We've compromised the luxury of free movements to our kids, and their kids, to travel and move, live & work in the EU without restriction. Whatever people say about 'not leaving Europe, we're leaving the EU', it's BS. The sentiment brought about by this is long lasting and we'll continue to be looked on unfavourably. I travel a lot for work, I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked 'why?' by European friends.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Indeed on 14:04 - Jan 31 with 2257 viewsDyland

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 14:00 - Jan 31 by Guthrum

This poster is a bit of a keyboard warrior by the looks of things :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

timely? on 14:16 - Jan 31 with 2212 viewsDyland

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 14:00 - Jan 31 by Guthrum

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/european-elections-poster-featur

Indeed on 14:18 - Jan 31 with 2199 viewsjeera

Indeed on 14:04 - Jan 31 by Dyland

This poster is a bit of a keyboard warrior by the looks of things :)

More of the whiff of a previous banned poster by the day.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Indeed on 14:19 - Jan 31 with 2203 viewsDyland

Indeed on 14:18 - Jan 31 by jeera

More of the whiff of a previous banned poster by the day.

Really? I haven't noticed this bod before.

Indeed on 14:21 - Jan 31 with 2182 viewsjeera

Indeed on 14:19 - Jan 31 by Dyland

This made me smile:

Mnuchin's comment about Thunberg, by vapour_trail 23 Jan 2020 20:21
This is not the droid you are looking for.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Indeed on 14:25 - Jan 31 with 2179 viewsWeWereZombies

I think you spelt bot wrong there...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 14:38 - Jan 31 with 2140 viewshampstead_blue

We had a property on the market just before the referendum. It sat for 10 months after due to uncertainty.
We still go the full asking but it cost us 10 months of mortgage payments which was a pain as we'd just let the great tenants go!

We did manage to buy a great site in Wiltshire cheaper due to the uncertainty and are about to start building 6 houses on it. Prices have steadily risen here so I guess we are winners.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 14:42 - Jan 31 with 2133 viewsmonytowbray

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:29 - Jan 31 by r2d2

Yes, those surrender monkeys who rally in masses to fight government injustice in relation to working rights whilst we bend over and let the super rich f*ck us and convince us we’re doing well in life.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 15:48 - Jan 31 with 2013 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone feeling any tangible effects of Brexit yet? on 13:54 - Jan 31 by ElephantintheRoom

You definately have by the only measure that matters £1 = ?$ or indeed Euro?

All you have to do is look at where the £ was going to post referendum if sanity prevailed (back to where it was circa 1.4 euros per £) and where it went when idiocy prevailed.

Simple maths...if anything a year's salary is 'conservative' given that the shrinking economy post-referendum would have been less shrunk and the £ perhaps even more buoyant than it once was

Granted there have been ways for Brits to minimise their losses - eg get excited about 20% stock market gains when the £ is worth 20% less - but that doesnt help a great deal either

It was never going near 1.4, from memory it topped out at just over 1.3 before the vote

It did go a bit mad in 2015 approaching 1.45 but that was a freak. Historically we are pretty much on the button now - maybe 1.25 being the optimum.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Indeed on 16:08 - Jan 31 with 1968 viewsBlueBadger

You probably couldn't see him properly through the windows of the taxi...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024