Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Even if we by luck got promoted this season 10:04 - Feb 2 with 3163 viewsColchesterBlue1985

We have conceded 5s and 4s now In a division which Luton regularly hit teams for 5,6 and even 7 and they are coming back down. What fun is next season going to be seeing Skuse and Chambers get torn a new one by every team we play.

We are miles behind now even teams like Millwall, Birmingham, QPR and the one that makes me sick Reading!!!
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 10:17 - Feb 2 with 3117 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The bit that so many seem to be overlooking is that if we were to go up we’d come straight back down again. We’d have a budget towards the bottom of the division again, and a manager who is simply not at the level we require to compete on a small budget (unlike Mick).

Now more than ever we need to find somebody to put more money in and who is happy to put people into the club that know football. That needs to be somebody willing to throw away hundreds of millions.

It’s ridiculous to blindly slate Evans but it is very clear he can’t afford football at the Championship level.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:38 - Feb 2 with 3016 viewsSwansea_Blue

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 10:17 - Feb 2 by PrideOfTheEast

The bit that so many seem to be overlooking is that if we were to go up we’d come straight back down again. We’d have a budget towards the bottom of the division again, and a manager who is simply not at the level we require to compete on a small budget (unlike Mick).

Now more than ever we need to find somebody to put more money in and who is happy to put people into the club that know football. That needs to be somebody willing to throw away hundreds of millions.

It’s ridiculous to blindly slate Evans but it is very clear he can’t afford football at the Championship level.

Whip round?

There are always contradictory views on here about whether we could find a new owner. ME certainly isn’t the only person who’s been buying football clubs, so I don’t see why not even if it would be difficult.

But what chance success under new ownership? It’d be interesting to see a list of club takeovers since ME bought us, and what’s happened to those clubs since.

I’d also like to know how our debt affects a potential sale. Would ME have to right off all the debt to sell us, would he want to, etc?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:40 - Feb 2 with 3011 viewsChrisd

What level can he actually afford? Should we be looking more non league?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:53 - Feb 2 with 2984 viewsagentp

But we can't put more money in can we. That's the problem with modern football. If we were near the top there is an argument for gambling with the consequences, but we can't do that. If ME threw in another £20m, we still would be a mid-table team and suffer the wrath of FFP. Teams like us are stuck in a trough.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:58 - Feb 2 with 2966 viewstextbackup

will we go up tho, this is my prediction. we cant beat the top 8 in this league, so what the hell will the championship hold for us!

Sat 8 Feb 3:00pm Sunderland A 0
Tue 11 Feb 7:45pm AFC Wimbledon A 1
Sat 15 Feb 3:00pm Burton Albion H 1
Sat 22 Feb 3:00pm Oxford United H 0
Sat 29 Feb 3:00pm Blackpool A 1

Tue 3 Mar 7:45pm Fleetwood Town H 1
Sat 7 Mar 3:00pm Coventry City H 0
Sat 14 Mar 3:00pm Bristol Rovers A 1
Sat 21 Mar 3:00pm Portsmouth H 1

Sat 4 Apr 3:00pm Southend United H 3
Fri 10 Apr 3:00pm Bolton Wanderers H 3
Mon 13 Apr 3:00pm Shrewsbury Town A 1
Sat 18 Apr 3:00pm Rochdale H 3
Sat 25 Apr 3:00pm Doncaster Rovers A 1

Sun 3 May 12:00pm MK Dons H 3

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 12:05 - Feb 2 with 2938 viewsOxford_Blue

He can’t afford it - you’re right.

He’d be happy to sell.

But to whom??
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 12:12 - Feb 2 with 2903 viewsbluejacko

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 12:05 - Feb 2 by Oxford_Blue

He can’t afford it - you’re right.

He’d be happy to sell.

But to whom??

Who would even consider buying this club?
Don’t own the ground so the only assets are the “players”.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 18:33 - Feb 2 with 2773 viewsBloomBlue

But Charlton were terrible in L1 last season and won promotion and while they are towards the bottom of the championship they aren't in the bottom 3
Login to get fewer ads

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:04 - Feb 2 with 2726 views66notout

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 12:12 - Feb 2 by bluejacko

It will be like when Ken Bates bought Chelsea for £1 and inherited a pile of debt. But he had a lot more going for him in west London than a prospective new owner would have here in Suffolk at a club that doesn’t even own its stadium.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:05 - Feb 2 with 2725 viewsnoggin

I’m not sure you can get promoted by luck.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:22 - Feb 2 with 2698 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:53 - Feb 2 by agentp

But we can't put more money in can we. That's the problem with modern football. If we were near the top there is an argument for gambling with the consequences, but we can't do that. If ME threw in another £20m, we still would be a mid-table team and suffer the wrath of FFP. Teams like us are stuck in a trough.

You’re referring to the championship? We could put significantly more in than the recent spending levels and still be well within FFP.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:27 - Feb 2 with 2686 viewsElephantintheRoom

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:40 - Feb 2 by Chrisd

Last time I looked Town had the biggest salary bill in this division.... so clearly he can fund a championship team of sorts.

If the most expensive academy in this division coughed up a few players who knows what might be achieved?

Granted it doesnt look tooo promising at present though

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:37 - Feb 2 with 2653 viewsITFCBlues

But on the plus side we could command decent fees for Wolfy and Downes, something which we can't do in this division

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:41 - Feb 2 with 2648 viewssouthnorfolkblue

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:22 - Feb 2 by PrideOfTheEast

You’re referring to the championship? We could put significantly more in than the recent spending levels and still be well within FFP.

We could lose 39 million over 3 years in the Championship. This year Zi think that we are allowed, subject to a few exceptions, to spend 70% of turnover on wages reducing to 60% next year, so I’m not sure we have as much leeway as you think

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:57 - Feb 2 with 2605 viewsRadlett_blue

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 12:12 - Feb 2 by bluejacko

I'm bored with saying this, but if Evans wants out, he will write off the debt (which is all owed to him or his companies) & a debt free Town will have plenty of buyers at between £10m+.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:00 - Feb 2 with 2595 viewshaynes_toe1

I dont agree with this bit. Sheffield United and Norwich got promoted last season without spending much money relatively speaking whatsoever.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:08 - Feb 2 with 2574 viewsagentp

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:22 - Feb 2 by PrideOfTheEast

Thread is titled if we got promoted, so yeah. I am talking about the Championship.

I have also said we should invest in the January window to build for the Championship.

We may still be able to increase spending levels a little [when in the Championship] but let's be honest, not to the extent that make much difference.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:39 - Feb 2 with 2516 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:41 - Feb 2 by southnorfolkblue

We could lose 39 million over 3 years in the Championship. This year Zi think that we are allowed, subject to a few exceptions, to spend 70% of turnover on wages reducing to 60% next year, so I’m not sure we have as much leeway as you think

In the championship an owner could put in significantly more before we’re close to FPP limitations. That’s all I am saying.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:42 - Feb 2 with 2500 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:00 - Feb 2 by haynes_toe1

I dont agree with this bit. Sheffield United and Norwich got promoted last season without spending much money relatively speaking whatsoever.

What was the Norwich wage bill last year?
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:50 - Feb 2 with 2478 viewsBloomBlue

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 19:57 - Feb 2 by Radlett_blue

I'm bored with saying this, but if Evans wants out, he will write off the debt (which is all owed to him or his companies) & a debt free Town will have plenty of buyers at between £10m+.

But it still doesn't answer the question who would buy us and why?
And it's not debt free if income is less than outgoings that is automatically a debt every year
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 08:48 - Feb 3 with 2233 viewshaynes_toe1

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 20:42 - Feb 2 by PrideOfTheEast

What was the Norwich wage bill last year?

I don't think that's been revealed yet - but rumour is they saved nearly 50% from the year before which would be about £21-25m. Our was £19m last in the championship
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 08:59 - Feb 3 with 2211 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 08:48 - Feb 3 by haynes_toe1

I don't think that's been revealed yet - but rumour is they saved nearly 50% from the year before which would be about £21-25m. Our was £19m last in the championship

So if it was 25m that's 6 additional players on 20k a week. We had none.
Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 09:04 - Feb 3 with 2203 viewsBackToRussia

Even if we by luck got promoted this season on 11:40 - Feb 2 by Chrisd

He blew his load early, and now all he can do is a keep a club ticking over. He must get some weird sense of ego from owning a football club, even an unsuccessful one. I am sure he would sell but he seems pretty stupid, so he's probably holding out for some amazing offer that'll never come, all the time losing more money every year.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024