Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace 11:49 - Feb 2 with 1395 viewsgeg1992

Both in terms of our players but also how quickly we move the ball, it's way too slow.

There's nobody in our team that defenders really fear, except Jackson. Although he has the pace, he doesn't have the dribbling ability of Peterborough's forwards. He's effectively only good at running in straight lines.

Perhaps Dobra is one of the only players capable of properly taking on a man and twisting and turning? And KVY but he's injured.

To think Dembele cost them next to nothing from Grimsby.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 11:52 - Feb 2 with 1382 viewsSomethingBlue

Dobra needs to be involved now and it drives me mad that we didn't sign a proper wide player in the window. We even sent one back from a loan! It's glaringly obvious that we don't really have anyone who can beat a man.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:52]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 11:53 - Feb 2 with 1351 viewsBackToRussia

Push and run, the Ramsey way. Football is a simple game. Why do something slowly that you can do quickly.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:01 - Feb 2 with 1301 viewsDarth_Koont

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 11:52 - Feb 2 by SomethingBlue

Dobra needs to be involved now and it drives me mad that we didn't sign a proper wide player in the window. We even sent one back from a loan! It's glaringly obvious that we don't really have anyone who can beat a man.

Generally agree re: a lack of convincing wide players.

That was why it was particularly frustrating that Edwards looked finally to have the beating of his opponent yesterday, the defender was on a booking too, and yet we made less of it in the second half not more.

Now we won't even have Garbutt and Edwards available for a couple of games which was providing a bit of an answer to our width problems. And anyway we'll probably have to move away from a back 3 that looked utterly traumatised by the end of the game.

It's all a bit of a mess.

Pronouns: He/Him

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:01 - Feb 2 with 1296 viewsJDB23

If we have a CM pairing of 2 of Downes/Skuse/Nolan, that is all you can expect. Said it before the game, 3-5-2 with those 2 in CM is horrendous and offers absolutely nothing going forward, way too negative of a mindset.
Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:03 - Feb 2 with 1292 viewsRyorry

It's a lack that's been part of our sides, on and off, for decades, in all 3 divisions we've been in.

There've often been times when I've watched enviously as other sides flow up the pitch as a cohesive unit in classic attacking style, and thought "why can't we ever seem do that?". It's often been a lack of speed of thought as well as lack of physical pace. So frustrating.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:05 - Feb 2 with 1273 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’ve struggled ever since Douggie retired

We certainly miss individual pace. As a team I think we’ve been trying to move the ball quicker between the lines lately, but have struggled to execute. We sometimes see lots of frenetic play with the ball pinging around between the teams, when I reckon we’d do better to just put our foot on the ball and slow things down.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:07 - Feb 2 with 1260 viewsSomethingBlue

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:01 - Feb 2 by Darth_Koont

Generally agree re: a lack of convincing wide players.

That was why it was particularly frustrating that Edwards looked finally to have the beating of his opponent yesterday, the defender was on a booking too, and yet we made less of it in the second half not more.

Now we won't even have Garbutt and Edwards available for a couple of games which was providing a bit of an answer to our width problems. And anyway we'll probably have to move away from a back 3 that looked utterly traumatised by the end of the game.

It's all a bit of a mess.

It will probably have to be a four in the next two games at least. Really choppy waters now and I don't know what we do. Feel we've made a mistake not strengthening, much as there are other issues. Those wide areas have been clear points of concern all season.

In terms of that defence, personally I'd still be considering a deal for Tommy Smith even if it takes him a few weeks to be ready. Would give people a lift to see him back here and his quality is obvious. As fans we really have to hope for the best at the moment; I'm very worried after the last two games.

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:18 - Feb 2 with 1193 viewsDarth_Koont

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:07 - Feb 2 by SomethingBlue

It will probably have to be a four in the next two games at least. Really choppy waters now and I don't know what we do. Feel we've made a mistake not strengthening, much as there are other issues. Those wide areas have been clear points of concern all season.

In terms of that defence, personally I'd still be considering a deal for Tommy Smith even if it takes him a few weeks to be ready. Would give people a lift to see him back here and his quality is obvious. As fans we really have to hope for the best at the moment; I'm very worried after the last two games.

It'll be something like this I reckon:

Holy
Donacien Chambers Woolfenden Earl
Nolan Downes Skuse
Norwood Keane Jackson

So a 433 or a diamond with Skuse back and Keane/Judge at the top.

I'd say chuck Dobra and Dozzell into it but part of me thinks the team just needs to get more compact and grind out a few draws and wins to get some structure and confidence to build on. But definitely get these guys involved off the bench when things aren't working. Felt depressingly and naively optimistic expecting Sears to come in and add something different when it's not the effort and movement but what we actually do on the ball and the (lack of) questions we ask the opposition that is often the core problem.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:19 - Feb 2 with 1185 viewsMrTown

Probably more evidence of how poor and narrow minded the recruitment. I swear the recruitment is still head by one of McCarthys men. Most of Micks recruitment was solid ageing experienced pros.

You don’t need to spend masses of money for good recruitment. Just have to be looking in the right areas, Dembele was dynamic on and off the ball, everything we are not.

Dobra is is the very same mould.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:28 - Feb 2 with 1142 viewsBlue_Moses

Can't remember us having many slower teams than this one, if any? Peterbrough were behind our defence within 1-2 passes. We take 4-5 passes just to get into a crossing position.
Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:33 - Feb 2 with 1122 viewsSomethingBlue

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:18 - Feb 2 by Darth_Koont

It'll be something like this I reckon:

Holy
Donacien Chambers Woolfenden Earl
Nolan Downes Skuse
Norwood Keane Jackson

So a 433 or a diamond with Skuse back and Keane/Judge at the top.

I'd say chuck Dobra and Dozzell into it but part of me thinks the team just needs to get more compact and grind out a few draws and wins to get some structure and confidence to build on. But definitely get these guys involved off the bench when things aren't working. Felt depressingly and naively optimistic expecting Sears to come in and add something different when it's not the effort and movement but what we actually do on the ball and the (lack of) questions we ask the opposition that is often the core problem.

Yep, Sunderland is now a case of "get a result any way/anyhow". Then we have to hope it resets us for what is a better-looking stretch of games. Can't afford much more like the week we've had had.

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 12:59 - Feb 2 with 1025 viewsGarv

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 11:52 - Feb 2 by SomethingBlue

We should have signed one/two in the summer and again in Jan, but nothing.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Seeing Peterborough made me realise how much we lack pace on 13:13 - Feb 2 with 1001 viewsGuthrum

I've said it before and will say it again - our players don't run with the ball, with the exceptions of KVY (injured), Jackson and Sears (only just back from injury). Everyone else receives the ball, rolls it a couple of paces, then stops for a think. Or pings it away immediately, far too often going to an opposition player.

That's why we're always resorting to long balls over the top, there's no other way of penetrating the opposition's defensive lines.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024