Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? 21:08 - Feb 2 with 2373 viewswiltshireblue

I travelled from my Wiltshire home for the game against posh yesterday, along with my partner and 13 year old son. Naively I guess in part trying to bestow upon him the excitement of the travel and a Portman road game that I used to enjoy as a kid having moved from Chelmsford at a young age.From 14-18 (before the crazy uni days) I used to take myself to every weekend home game despite living 170 miles away and as many away games as I could. When we lost back in those 97-2001 burley days I felt it but on the whole it was always a ‘reason’ for it ie the shocking ref, a sending off or dirty fouling opposition stopping our decent play and us not dealing with that. But one thing is for sure we always put a shift in. Even when we went 1 nil even 2 nil down you felt some magic might happen.

I am I have to admit one of those maligned individuals who did utter the words ‘I’m not going back until McCarthy is gone’, in part having met the guy just thinking as an individual he’s a total arse and couldn’t stand as an individual.

It was for that reason that as soon as he’d gone I went to the Reading away game that we won 4-0 a couple of seasons back. And for 20 minutes of that game under Klug it felt remotely as if I had that ipswich team of late 90s back. A team with little fear, a team with belief and a team with a work rate. Just for 20 minutes in particular in that game we felt unbeatable and that the only risk was we were going to embarrass Reading further.

The reality is imho is that in the late 90s whilst we did have some great individuals what we really had was a fantastic team, belief and hunger. Without question we also currently have some fantastic individuals, but in my mind we seem to lack the team, the freedom and the confidence and I don’t know why.

This isn’t me saying I want Burley back!. It’s just that I can’t begin to fathom how for the last few years we seem to have a team of some great individuals who can’t seem to make it work collectively at our club. Again not doom and gloom just my opinion. Despite our position in the league I don’t think we’ve been the team we should or could be this season or done anything with style and flair, those 1-0 wins will always end at some point.

My biggest issue is not losing, that’s football. My biggest issue is seemingly not caring or doing enough about it when having the chance or having a manager present to the pitch a team so easily broken. The soundbites are tedious and boring ‘beaten by the better team’, ‘players are gutted etc’. Of course they were, they were embarrassed but so were we.

Anyway pointless rant over. No solutions implied or offered, just total bewilderment at what’s missing in terms of mentality / tactics or whatever that I seem to remember us having before. We have players capable of playing football, this long ball over the top or hoof stuff doesn’t work for me or any decent player imo and is a dangerous non confidence building way to play that gets easily shattered at 1 or 2 nil down.
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 21:36 - Feb 2 with 2250 viewsmonytowbray

I relate to this.

It was the mid to late 90s team I fell in love with that made me ITFC mad to this day. I often wonder if 8 year old me, despite the fact I’d have always support my local team no matter what, would have become as Ipswich obsessed as I was if the first side I regularly witnessed were as crap as they are now.

I used to idolise David Johnson, Alex Mathie, Bobby Petta, Ricard Wright, Mauricio Tarrico, Mickie Stockwell, Richard Naylor, Paul Mason, Ian Marshall, Tony Mowbray, Kieron Dyer, Jamie Clapham, Mark Venus and Matt Holland like they were Gods. We have nothing even close to fit to lace their boots right now. I couldn’t imagine myself getting pumped for James Wilson or Cole Skuse in the same magical way as a kid. It would be comparable to a team mainly made up of Danny Sonner, Geraint Williams and Gus Elhunbeck. And thinking about that really does make me feel rubbish dwelling on the state of our club. My mates have teenage kids who have only known the Evans era. I have mates of drinking age who can’t remember ITFC being a top flight team. Sitters is one of them, and the level of support he gives deserves huge respect.

Perhaps I would have picked a different sport or been a more casual fan watching this side at 8 years old? All I know is whilst all my mates did the odd weekend away at Alton Towers or Disneyland, my family had season tickets and did a good handful of away games, and that was 100% fine with me. I think 10 year old me would have preferred to kick a ball around a field or play Nintendo instead of 12 hour days and early starts to see ITFC play Swindon and Bolton.

I can see myself getting to the point of protesting Evans if there was enough rallying to do so if we fail to go up this season. I’d rather be even more sh1t but have my club back than this utter sh1t show. The sense of community, being a family club and being proud of what’s been created for us is long gone. From the lack of investment in training technology, an academy and a strong backbone of basic well paid staff to the owner who is a faceless ticket tout who employs yes men whilst giving us f’all financial edge to play with. The whole thing is as rotten as I’ve been denying it is in my head and I’m embarrassed to the point of fighting to get back what Evans took from us.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 21:51]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 21:48 - Feb 2 with 2218 viewsbackwaywhen

Great post , I too believe we are better than current performances , it is the manager and training staff that are not good enough, Klug would be a great assistant to the 1st team right now as I think Lambert & co are just not up to it . COYBs
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 22:00 - Feb 2 with 2166 viewsJDB23

My first season as a real fan was our first back in the Championship (or whatever it was called then) after being relegated from the Prem with Burley so all I have known is 2nd division mediocrity, we can’t even compete at that level now! At least I had some exciting football to watch under Royle which helped me fall in love, imagine having your first season as an Ipswich fan come under the Keane reign. Lambert talks about a lost generation, he is correct, and is doing his best to contribute to that.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 22:01]
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 22:31 - Feb 2 with 2089 viewswiltshireblue

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 21:36 - Feb 2 by monytowbray

I relate to this.

It was the mid to late 90s team I fell in love with that made me ITFC mad to this day. I often wonder if 8 year old me, despite the fact I’d have always support my local team no matter what, would have become as Ipswich obsessed as I was if the first side I regularly witnessed were as crap as they are now.

I used to idolise David Johnson, Alex Mathie, Bobby Petta, Ricard Wright, Mauricio Tarrico, Mickie Stockwell, Richard Naylor, Paul Mason, Ian Marshall, Tony Mowbray, Kieron Dyer, Jamie Clapham, Mark Venus and Matt Holland like they were Gods. We have nothing even close to fit to lace their boots right now. I couldn’t imagine myself getting pumped for James Wilson or Cole Skuse in the same magical way as a kid. It would be comparable to a team mainly made up of Danny Sonner, Geraint Williams and Gus Elhunbeck. And thinking about that really does make me feel rubbish dwelling on the state of our club. My mates have teenage kids who have only known the Evans era. I have mates of drinking age who can’t remember ITFC being a top flight team. Sitters is one of them, and the level of support he gives deserves huge respect.

Perhaps I would have picked a different sport or been a more casual fan watching this side at 8 years old? All I know is whilst all my mates did the odd weekend away at Alton Towers or Disneyland, my family had season tickets and did a good handful of away games, and that was 100% fine with me. I think 10 year old me would have preferred to kick a ball around a field or play Nintendo instead of 12 hour days and early starts to see ITFC play Swindon and Bolton.

I can see myself getting to the point of protesting Evans if there was enough rallying to do so if we fail to go up this season. I’d rather be even more sh1t but have my club back than this utter sh1t show. The sense of community, being a family club and being proud of what’s been created for us is long gone. From the lack of investment in training technology, an academy and a strong backbone of basic well paid staff to the owner who is a faceless ticket tout who employs yes men whilst giving us f’all financial edge to play with. The whole thing is as rotten as I’ve been denying it is in my head and I’m embarrassed to the point of fighting to get back what Evans took from us.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 21:51]

imagine going to a Wiltshire secondary school as an Ipswich fan on the back of our 1995 thumping by Man Utd, surrounded by Utd fans!. It was those same people who 2-3 years later i was dragging to Town games and converting them one by one!

The energy, wing play, determination. Jesus even an aging legend Micky Stockwell had glimpses of flair frequently thats how high confidence was. It was infectious and impossible not to love or be taken in by.

Some good points made in replies, god help kids growing up with town the last few years. I'm not talking glory hunting wise I'm talking passion, application and determination wise. We have been demonstrating none of that for a longtime.
My key thought is in the mid/late 90s if one or two of our players had an off day the rest of the team would carry them, thats what happens we all have bad days but when we work as a team thats fine. Now however it is always one or two good performers that try to carry the rest of the team and fail against 'better teams'. Sometimes we get away with it and grab a 1-0 win.

Last few years however my acid test is:

1. If we had the best player in the league would we ruin them?
2. If our players came to Portman Road under a different set up to play against us would they run rings round how they play now for us?

And my answer to both has been for a longtime now 100% yes!. So in my opinion its the set up now in what ever form that is and it is that that sets the tone throughout the club.

I think we have some great players now and some great young exciting players that we have yet to give a chance. Reality is we are an inconsistent league 1 club incapable of beating the top 4 teams and scrape through with 'resolute' displays against others whilst premier league clubs sniff around our young players who don't even make our matchday squad sometimes. The sad thing is I fully believe these young players would flourish elsewhere, Marriott was a good example of that too.

That sure as hell wouldn't have been the case in our history during the better times. We seem so devoid of willingness to push to play football and add some excitement that we do something much worse, rotate and tinker with the same people until we stagnate and kill players interest in us and our fans.

Royle had two parts of nothing to work with but at least you knew if they scored 3 you might get 4!
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 22:35]
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 22:53 - Feb 2 with 2021 viewsmonytowbray

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 22:31 - Feb 2 by wiltshireblue

imagine going to a Wiltshire secondary school as an Ipswich fan on the back of our 1995 thumping by Man Utd, surrounded by Utd fans!. It was those same people who 2-3 years later i was dragging to Town games and converting them one by one!

The energy, wing play, determination. Jesus even an aging legend Micky Stockwell had glimpses of flair frequently thats how high confidence was. It was infectious and impossible not to love or be taken in by.

Some good points made in replies, god help kids growing up with town the last few years. I'm not talking glory hunting wise I'm talking passion, application and determination wise. We have been demonstrating none of that for a longtime.
My key thought is in the mid/late 90s if one or two of our players had an off day the rest of the team would carry them, thats what happens we all have bad days but when we work as a team thats fine. Now however it is always one or two good performers that try to carry the rest of the team and fail against 'better teams'. Sometimes we get away with it and grab a 1-0 win.

2. If our players came to Portman Road under a different set up to play against us would they run rings round how they play now for us?

And my answer to both has been for a longtime now 100% yes!. So in my opinion its the set up now in what ever form that is and it is that that sets the tone throughout the club.

I think we have some great players now and some great young exciting players that we have yet to give a chance. Reality is we are an inconsistent league 1 club incapable of beating the top 4 teams and scrape through with 'resolute' displays against others whilst premier league clubs sniff around our young players who don't even make our matchday squad sometimes. The sad thing is I fully believe these young players would flourish elsewhere, Marriott was a good example of that too.

That sure as hell wouldn't have been the case in our history during the better times. We seem so devoid of willingness to push to play football and add some excitement that we do something much worse, rotate and tinker with the same people until we stagnate and kill players interest in us and our fans.

Royle had two parts of nothing to work with but at least you knew if they scored 3 you might get 4!

That’s got me thinking, would Bishop and Dozzell flourish in the team of the 90s? Hell, maybe even Luke Hyam could have become a different player. Grant Ward too. I feel like that side were constantly trying to outdo each other in work rate and a positive impact on the game whatever their role. It was step up or you wouldn’t be in the squad for long. Players used to come off the bench and fight for a first team spot if they’d recently been dropped (Mathie in 97/98 springs to mind). I don’t see any of that attitude and I haven’t for years now, it must rub off on young players? The more I see us play and show f’ all passion the more I feel all those interviews about loving the club, the rich history, the fans and being the best team on the day are nothing more than lip service. And to be honest, I don’t blame them. There are clubs in our own league that have better infrastructures than we do in terms training, fitness, technology, facilities and perks. Working for Ipswich, as a player or staff member, is like being the one person in the office as skilled as everyone else but for some reason being paid much less and being forced to sit on the oldest desk with the slowest laptop.

A team recently relegated from the C’ship with PL history this century, a 30k stadium and an owner worth what he is shouldn’t be relegated to the third tier and be on an even playing field with half the clubs there for what’s in our arsenal behind the scenes. The more I think about it the more I worry we may be the next Blackpool. We say we ain’t got it as bad as other clubs but at what cost? Coventry could beat us for promotion this season and they are homeless without much of a pot to p1ss in. Oxford aren’t exactly rich either. And then Rotherham, Wycombe and Peterborough?! Some of these teams we’d have laughed at the idea of them ever beating us in the 90s, or even 15 years ago. Now we’re playing them expecting to be (and getting) mugged off.

We have mould growing on our roofs FFS! It’s something I’ve played down as not a big deal for my own sanity and denial, but deep down it is embarrassing. I used to have to regularly drive past Scum’s ground 3-4 years ago and the difference in quality really p1sses me off. You look at PR and lack of a TV screen, the mismatched aging seats dotted about, the p1ss poor bars and food options, the fact we don’t even take card at all bars, the windows of the Cobbold looking more like an abandoned building, the approach to the corner from Town where the first thing you’ll see is SBR’s big face followed by the mouldy roof towering it, the faded branding on prominent signs/logos around the ground. And it’s not like the Scum are doing anything special, these are just basics it seems most clubs in the country can get right but us. Even tinpot sheds in nothing Towns with no history have better stadiums than us when it comes to appearance.

God, Town really have done a number on me this weekend. I feel like someone’s unplugged me from a blue matrix. I’m officially at my personal breaking point and any promotion this season will feel empty whilst knowing we’ll get embarrassed by the scum again next season. I think I keep half of this in as I’d rather stick a finger up at a budgie than let me feel this defeated compared to them but I’m starting to make my reluctantly disappointed peace with it. I don’t think there’s been a decade in our entire histories when we’ve been this far apart at either end of the fence.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 23:03]

TWTD never forgets…

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 23:33 - Feb 2 with 1952 viewswiltshireblue

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 22:53 - Feb 2 by monytowbray

That’s got me thinking, would Bishop and Dozzell flourish in the team of the 90s? Hell, maybe even Luke Hyam could have become a different player. Grant Ward too. I feel like that side were constantly trying to outdo each other in work rate and a positive impact on the game whatever their role. It was step up or you wouldn’t be in the squad for long. Players used to come off the bench and fight for a first team spot if they’d recently been dropped (Mathie in 97/98 springs to mind). I don’t see any of that attitude and I haven’t for years now, it must rub off on young players? The more I see us play and show f’ all passion the more I feel all those interviews about loving the club, the rich history, the fans and being the best team on the day are nothing more than lip service. And to be honest, I don’t blame them. There are clubs in our own league that have better infrastructures than we do in terms training, fitness, technology, facilities and perks. Working for Ipswich, as a player or staff member, is like being the one person in the office as skilled as everyone else but for some reason being paid much less and being forced to sit on the oldest desk with the slowest laptop.

A team recently relegated from the C’ship with PL history this century, a 30k stadium and an owner worth what he is shouldn’t be relegated to the third tier and be on an even playing field with half the clubs there for what’s in our arsenal behind the scenes. The more I think about it the more I worry we may be the next Blackpool. We say we ain’t got it as bad as other clubs but at what cost? Coventry could beat us for promotion this season and they are homeless without much of a pot to p1ss in. Oxford aren’t exactly rich either. And then Rotherham, Wycombe and Peterborough?! Some of these teams we’d have laughed at the idea of them ever beating us in the 90s, or even 15 years ago. Now we’re playing them expecting to be (and getting) mugged off.

We have mould growing on our roofs FFS! It’s something I’ve played down as not a big deal for my own sanity and denial, but deep down it is embarrassing. I used to have to regularly drive past Scum’s ground 3-4 years ago and the difference in quality really p1sses me off. You look at PR and lack of a TV screen, the mismatched aging seats dotted about, the p1ss poor bars and food options, the fact we don’t even take card at all bars, the windows of the Cobbold looking more like an abandoned building, the approach to the corner from Town where the first thing you’ll see is SBR’s big face followed by the mouldy roof towering it, the faded branding on prominent signs/logos around the ground. And it’s not like the Scum are doing anything special, these are just basics it seems most clubs in the country can get right but us. Even tinpot sheds in nothing Towns with no history have better stadiums than us when it comes to appearance.

God, Town really have done a number on me this weekend. I feel like someone’s unplugged me from a blue matrix. I’m officially at my personal breaking point and any promotion this season will feel empty whilst knowing we’ll get embarrassed by the scum again next season. I think I keep half of this in as I’d rather stick a finger up at a budgie than let me feel this defeated compared to them but I’m starting to make my reluctantly disappointed peace with it. I don’t think there’s been a decade in our entire histories when we’ve been this far apart at either end of the fence.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 23:03]

100% any of those young players you mentioned would have flourished in that team, because it was exactly that - a team. The young ones were supported and fired up to go and wanted to grab their chance. Now half the time we only drop them in in desperation or cup games.

I remember when David Johnson signed from Bury and went on to score in something like his first 7 games in a row. It was a given that he was going to score And that does wonders for the confidence of the whole team and becomes self fulfilling. Not because he was the best striker the world had ever seen and he hadn’t become a world beater in the space of a few days since leaving Bury. But the team was set up to such an extent that he couldnt help but convert the chances they created. We made his job easy.

Now let’s take Norwood or Jackson, everything near enough is over the top, chest down, bring down time lost and their on their own. Most of the time it’s offside, momentum lost. It’s written all over their faces, frustrating as hell. Our set up is forcing professional footballers to play like machines devoid of originality or flair. The best thing our manager could do is allow them to play and empower them, give them the confidence, the belief but also the challenge. Jesus if a scout had of seen most our players playing how they do in our team they’d never have been pro players.

We have bloody good individuals, and sure as hell more than capable of winning league 1. But we as a club and limiting them somehow. Whether training / tactics I’ve no idea behind the scenes but I just can’t believe how bad as a team we are and how anti football hoof ball. That isn’t a real footballers instinct and that isn’t what would have excited them to be a pro footballer as a kid!.

With regards the ground etc couldn’t agree more. It’s cosmetic stuff but it’s part of the wider package and inherently if we want to be a great club again that needs to be in everything we do from top to bottom. It’s the easy stuff like when I walked past the old club shop yesterday and there’s some crap white vinyl film peeling off the windows. I mean vinyl costs next to nothing and to print it up with something blue and ITFC Doesn’t even need imagination. While not the end of the world the fact any of that had been allowed to get in that state is symptomatic of general lack of awareness by the powers that be at the club and indifference.

Fair play to north stand (sir bobby robson stand yesterday) the noise and effort start of the game was great. When did we stop the build up to a game being more energised? Even the minor stuff like noise competiton between stands (was only ever one winner) and the team coming out to more energised songs that can be more intimidating for the away team and set the air of confidence. We’ve gone that soft on the teams coming out we may as well play a comedy YMCA or ‘always look on the bright side of life’ to set the tone
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 23:44]
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 23:45 - Feb 2 with 1922 viewsmonytowbray

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 23:33 - Feb 2 by wiltshireblue

100% any of those young players you mentioned would have flourished in that team, because it was exactly that - a team. The young ones were supported and fired up to go and wanted to grab their chance. Now half the time we only drop them in in desperation or cup games.

I remember when David Johnson signed from Bury and went on to score in something like his first 7 games in a row. It was a given that he was going to score And that does wonders for the confidence of the whole team and becomes self fulfilling. Not because he was the best striker the world had ever seen and he hadn’t become a world beater in the space of a few days since leaving Bury. But the team was set up to such an extent that he couldnt help but convert the chances they created. We made his job easy.

Now let’s take Norwood or Jackson, everything near enough is over the top, chest down, bring down time lost and their on their own. Most of the time it’s offside, momentum lost. It’s written all over their faces, frustrating as hell. Our set up is forcing professional footballers to play like machines devoid of originality or flair. The best thing our manager could do is allow them to play and empower them, give them the confidence, the belief but also the challenge. Jesus if a scout had of seen most our players playing how they do in our team they’d never have been pro players.

We have bloody good individuals, and sure as hell more than capable of winning league 1. But we as a club and limiting them somehow. Whether training / tactics I’ve no idea behind the scenes but I just can’t believe how bad as a team we are and how anti football hoof ball. That isn’t a real footballers instinct and that isn’t what would have excited them to be a pro footballer as a kid!.

With regards the ground etc couldn’t agree more. It’s cosmetic stuff but it’s part of the wider package and inherently if we want to be a great club again that needs to be in everything we do from top to bottom. It’s the easy stuff like when I walked past the old club shop yesterday and there’s some crap white vinyl film peeling off the windows. I mean vinyl costs next to nothing and to print it up with something blue and ITFC Doesn’t even need imagination. While not the end of the world the fact any of that had been allowed to get in that state is symptomatic of general lack of awareness by the powers that be at the club and indifference.

Fair play to north stand (sir bobby robson stand yesterday) the noise and effort start of the game was great. When did we stop the build up to a game being more energised? Even the minor stuff like noise competiton between stands (was only ever one winner) and the team coming out to more energised songs that can be more intimidating for the away team and set the air of confidence. We’ve gone that soft on the teams coming out we may as well play a comedy YMCA or ‘always look on the bright side of life’ to set the tone
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 23:44]

It’s almost as if they’ve given us such little hope in recent years that singing at 2-0 down feels like a waste of time. I remember coming back from 2-0 against Chelsea in the Coca Cola Cup and taking it to penalties in a game we should have won. 1 cup game prior to that we’d utterly p1ssed all over ManU in revenge for the 2-0 against a side more than capable of a 3+ goal win against any other Div 1 team. We went on to tvvat Norwich 5-0. Then we lost in the POs but after the dust settled we knew we’d do it again next year and keep at it until we made it all the way

Our last PO season was more of a nightmare, losing to the scum and knowing the next season it would be a tough feat with no cash. I can’t remember what a good season feels like anymore as we’ve not had one since 2001 when it was all said and done. I have mates supporting Pompey that have had more to cheer in the last ten years than us.

TWTD never forgets…

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 23:48 - Feb 2 with 1910 viewswiltshireblue

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 23:45 - Feb 2 by monytowbray

It’s almost as if they’ve given us such little hope in recent years that singing at 2-0 down feels like a waste of time. I remember coming back from 2-0 against Chelsea in the Coca Cola Cup and taking it to penalties in a game we should have won. 1 cup game prior to that we’d utterly p1ssed all over ManU in revenge for the 2-0 against a side more than capable of a 3+ goal win against any other Div 1 team. We went on to tvvat Norwich 5-0. Then we lost in the POs but after the dust settled we knew we’d do it again next year and keep at it until we made it all the way

Our last PO season was more of a nightmare, losing to the scum and knowing the next season it would be a tough feat with no cash. I can’t remember what a good season feels like anymore as we’ve not had one since 2001 when it was all said and done. I have mates supporting Pompey that have had more to cheer in the last ten years than us.

Exactly. Like I say losing a game happens that’s football, life etc. But it’s the manner. It’s the 1 nil, 2 nil down it’s game over mentality. Or the 1 nil up let’s hang on to this lads approach.

We’d always sing when we were behind. Play off semi final at Bramall Lane we were 1-0 down and loud as hell, then Stockwell equalised late on.

Let’s replay the 2000 play off final. I remember being there and going behind to a Wright own goal (went in off his back after 6 mins ). 15 mins Later David Johnson goes off injured. It all looks bad, but look how it turned out!. Wouldn’t fancy that happening under our last few managers
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 23:54]
Login to get fewer ads

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 06:26 - Feb 3 with 1657 viewstractorboy2421

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 22:31 - Feb 2 by wiltshireblue

Yup, another Wiltshire tractor boy here - imagine the scene of that United match (both parents are united Muppets)... Agree with you 100% .. losing is bad enough, but it looks like it's the fans who are hurting the most. I personally think the days are gone when players ( or prima Donna's) had pride in playing for the badge on the shirt & the fans who pay good money to see them play. I actually fear for our club ...sad times 😔
Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 09:14 - Feb 3 with 1443 viewsElephantintheRoom

I think its called growing up and getting older. You also have a family to give you a sense of perspective.

My heroes were from a different era and I still revere them with a rose-tinted glow -but by the Burley era it all seemed a tad disappointingas each year fizzled out in the play-offs as generally weaker teams went up... glory for a year - and then reverting to type.

It was possible to enjoy the Royle and Magilton years - but nothing much since - and I suspect its the same at most clubs now...players earn so much for doing so little that there is not much to play for.... what have the current crop got to look forward to on promotion... the joy of last season?? .... a transfer to a better club with better prospects?
It's simply not the game it used to be for a club like Town.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 09:34 - Feb 3 with 1407 viewswiltshireblue

Have I lost my rose tinted teenage glasses or are we really so bad now? on 09:14 - Feb 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I think its called growing up and getting older. You also have a family to give you a sense of perspective.

My heroes were from a different era and I still revere them with a rose-tinted glow -but by the Burley era it all seemed a tad disappointingas each year fizzled out in the play-offs as generally weaker teams went up... glory for a year - and then reverting to type.

It was possible to enjoy the Royle and Magilton years - but nothing much since - and I suspect its the same at most clubs now...players earn so much for doing so little that there is not much to play for.... what have the current crop got to look forward to on promotion... the joy of last season?? .... a transfer to a better club with better prospects?
It's simply not the game it used to be for a club like Town.

Good comment. I genuinely don't think it's the players. Of course they aren't playing well and nowhere near their potential, but that is the fault of the manager / management and owner for allowing that to happen and for it to be the inherent culture.

I think it's cringeworthy when Lambert goes on about not being able to spend, he literally does not realise what he already has is more than good enough to get out of this division under the right guidance and management. And that's before we consider the potential excitement of Dobra etc yet to properly break through. Any set up where Lambert can whinge about not being able to spend or pretend to be pragmatic about it detracts from the art of the possible in the here and now and is totally disrespectful to the owner.

But again the owner is weak and allows that to happen and rewards him with a new contract and stays under the radar. There's no one steering this ship from top to bottom just a bunch of lethargic individuals lacking pride
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024