Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see 17:35 - Feb 3 with 5294 viewsAlexGreen

What's your top, non footballing sporting experience you've witnessed first-hand.

I've been to the F1 in US and a few boxing fights, but I think a 9 darter by Raymond van Barneveld in the world finals was the top for me; the atmosphere was amazing and it was something (at the time at least) that really never happened in big matches.

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:38 - Feb 3 with 3097 viewsFunge

Was that against Klaasen? I was there for that. It was bloody brilliant. We were 2nd table back, you could see my mates fat head every time the players threw a dart.

Place went utterly ballistic when the 9th dart went in. Everyone soaked in beer.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:41 - Feb 3 with 3083 viewsAlexGreen

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:38 - Feb 3 by Funge

Was that against Klaasen? I was there for that. It was bloody brilliant. We were 2nd table back, you could see my mates fat head every time the players threw a dart.

Place went utterly ballistic when the 9th dart went in. Everyone soaked in beer.

I think so yes! It was amazing. Didn't he almost do it a second time the following leg? The rest of that night was a blur. So glad you were there too haha

Poll: Who from our injured list will play the most games in 20/21

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:48 - Feb 3 with 3070 viewsSWGF

Was at the SCG when Steve Waugh scored a century in the afternoon against England in 2003, getting to 100 off the last ball of the day. Taking him past 10,000 Test runs and equalling Bradman's century count.
Was at the MCG to see Shane Warne's 700th Test wicket in 2006.
At the Oval for Alastair Cook's last Test innings.

And jimsymBLUE reminds be that I was at Trent Bridge for Broad's crazy morning
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 17:53]

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 17:49 - Feb 3 with 3067 viewsjimsymBLUE

In order, England bowling out the Aussie's for 98 in a packed MCG on Boxing day and then watching the monolithic stadium empty as Cook and Strauss finished 150 odd for 0 at the end of the day.
Broad's 8-15 at Trent Bridge .
Not a massive Tennis fan but was lucky enough to blag tickets for the amazing Nadal/Federer Wimbledon final, five sets, rain delays...lasted pretty much all day and we were completely exhausted at the end just watching it.

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:00 - Feb 3 with 3029 viewsSteve_M

These are probably mine, plenty of good days at cricket without anything remarkable.

- Farah, Ennis and Rutherford winning gold in 2012;
- Jimmy Anderson's 500th Test wicket (made better by it raining half the day and then the evening session being both brilliant and bathed in spectacular light);
- Broad's hat-trick against India at Trent Bridge in 2011;
- Winning the Ashes at the Oval in 2009.

This is the sort of positive thread the board could do with after the last three days. Good work.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 18:05]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:00 - Feb 3 with 3021 viewsitfcjoe

Watch England lift the urn at the SCG in January 2011

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:05 - Feb 3 with 3008 viewsSWGF

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:00 - Feb 3 by itfcjoe

Watch England lift the urn at the SCG in January 2011

If you weren't there in 2002/3 and 2006/7 to see us get marmalised, it doesn't count!

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:06 - Feb 3 with 3003 viewsbluelagos

Was inline when Johnny Wilkinson dropped the drop goal to win the world cup in Sydney 2003.

Also saw England win at the MCG in 98 (think we were 3 down so ashes were long gone) first time in 86 years from memory.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:24 - Feb 3 with 2981 viewsPlums

A very young me was 50 yards away when Bernhard Langer played a shot out of a tree at the B&H Open

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:28 - Feb 3 with 2972 viewsblueislander

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:24 - Feb 3 by Plums

A very young me was 50 yards away when Bernhard Langer played a shot out of a tree at the B&H Open

I was at Valderrama for the 1997 Ryder Cup. Fantastic atmosphere, noise echoing from all parts of the course at times.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:31 - Feb 3 with 2966 viewssparks

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:28 - Feb 3 by blueislander

I was at Valderrama for the 1997 Ryder Cup. Fantastic atmosphere, noise echoing from all parts of the course at times.

I was at Edgbaston for the first day of Lara's record innings...

Of course, we had no idea at the time that it was special. I was busy revising for university exams on the largely enpty but sunny terrace.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:31 - Feb 3 with 2965 viewsquirkie

1993 Ryder cup last day at the Belfry on the 14th when Faldo holes in one. Bedlam.

Still lost to the US though.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 18:34]

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:41 - Feb 3 with 2941 viewsWeWereZombies

Six days travelling through revolution in Tunisia 2011
Earthquake in Peru 2001
Earthquake in New Zealand 2016
Solar Eclipse Capaddocia 2005
Wildebeest stampede South Africa 2013
Led Zeppelin Baths Hall Ipswich 1971
A number of romantic interludes I will not go into on here
Quarter of an ounce of Madras Green 1973
Growing up in East Suffolk late 1950s, early 1960s
A number of Munro and Lakeland fell ascents
Dales Way 1980
Kayaking Tasman Bay 2016
Going to an Ethiopian Orthodox service in an underground church in Lalibela 2015
Zen garden at Ryoanji, Kyoto last week
Birth of son and daughter
Trekking to Machu Pichu 2001
Descent into and ascent out of Grand Canyon 1998

and a load of other stuff

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:42 - Feb 3 with 2938 viewsandytown

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:31 - Feb 3 by quirkie

1993 Ryder cup last day at the Belfry on the 14th when Faldo holes in one. Bedlam.

Still lost to the US though.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 18:34]

Also at the MCG in 97 for Dean Headley running through the Aussies, then at the SCG a few days later for Darren Gough's hatrick
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:46 - Feb 3 with 2928 viewsfloridablue

Lennox Lewis v Holyfield world title fight in Vegas 1999. My first ever live boxing event and that was before I moved across the 'pond'. Arm and a leg for flights and 2 tickets, one for my american born relative which ended up almost at the back in with thousands of Lewis fans. Fight went the distance but a little dull and unexciting event for me. Within a couple of months again paid above the norm to see Tyson fight Reynolds (?) in Manchester with our local guy who's name escapes me on the card. Tyson knocked him out within a couple of minutes..and that was the end of me paying to see a fight again!
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:47 - Feb 3 with 2928 viewsIllinoisblue

Fakenham races in 2002. 5 winners out of 7. What a day that was.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:24 - Feb 3 with 2844 viewsSwansea_Blue

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:41 - Feb 3 by WeWereZombies

Earthquake in Peru 2001
Dales Way 1980
Kayaking Tasman Bay 2016
Going to an Ethiopian Orthodox service in an underground church in Lalibela 2015

I left Arequipa the afternoon before that 2001 quake hit, which toppled one of the towers on the cathedral. We were staying right by it, and had been in the square at lunch before getting a domestic flight out. When the quake hit I think we were up in the air, so didn’t realise anything had happened until a day after. I was gutted to have missed it!

Trekking to Machu Pichu was part of that trip too - sunrise over the site was just superb.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:29 - Feb 3 with 2827 viewswerringtonblue

1985 - 17 year old Boris Becker winning Wimbledon final against Kevin Curran
2015 - Cook's first ton for almost 2 years at Bridgetown
2019 - Almost. Adrian Lewis missing the D12 for a 9 darter at Ally Pally
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:30 - Feb 3 with 2821 viewsgainsboroughblue

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:31 - Feb 3 by sparks

I was at Edgbaston for the first day of Lara's record innings...

Of course, we had no idea at the time that it was special. I was busy revising for university exams on the largely enpty but sunny terrace.

Did both captains just agree not to go for the win that game? I seem to remember Durham racked up a huge score in that game too.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:39 - Feb 3 with 2803 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:00 - Feb 3 by Steve_M

These are probably mine, plenty of good days at cricket without anything remarkable.

- Farah, Ennis and Rutherford winning gold in 2012;
- Jimmy Anderson's 500th Test wicket (made better by it raining half the day and then the evening session being both brilliant and bathed in spectacular light);
- Broad's hat-trick against India at Trent Bridge in 2011;
- Winning the Ashes at the Oval in 2009.

This is the sort of positive thread the board could do with after the last three days. Good work.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 18:05]

Was also there for Jimmy's 500th and that sky was an incredible colour. I thought evening session would be halted by another massive downpour but it didn't come.

Few other cricket moments
England Women beating India in World Cup final.
Bowling out Ireland for 38 at Lord's
Cooks last test at Oval.

Plus a few other not massive but good memories
Halep beating Serena at Wimbledon last year
Froch v Groves fight at Wembley.
Catalan Dragons winning the RL Challenge Cup
Wiggins Hour Record
Froome getting yellow Jersey in Paris
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:43 - Feb 3 with 2793 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:39 - Feb 3 by Cheshire_Tractor

Was also there for Jimmy's 500th and that sky was an incredible colour. I thought evening session would be halted by another massive downpour but it didn't come.

Cooks last test at Oval.

Wiggins Hour Record

And how could I forget the mighty Frankel making it 14 out of 14 at Ascot
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:57 - Feb 3 with 2763 viewsbluelagos

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:42 - Feb 3 by andytown

Also at the MCG in 97 for Dean Headley running through the Aussies, then at the SCG a few days later for Darren Gough's hatrick

Was there for Gough's hatrick. Think I saw a Waugh break some record too (Same test?) but was a bit mashed tbh so can't remember it all.

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:02 - Feb 3 with 2742 viewsSteve_M

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 19:39 - Feb 3 by Cheshire_Tractor

Cooks last test at Oval.

Wiggins Hour Record

Yes, made a spectacular venue even better. I have this picture on my wall:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:07 - Feb 3 with 2739 viewsJakeITFC

Was also lucky enough to be at Broad’s 8/15 at Trent Bridge - commented to my dad on the train to Nottingham that with the rain about I’d probably have a bat if we won the toss...

Was at Anthony Joshua v Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley, with the roar from the crowd as AJ went back to his corner at the end of the 8th round remaining the loudest I’ve ever experienced at any sporting event.

I also really enjoyed the Ryder Cup in Paris last time out - I had one of the worst hangovers I’ve ever had on the first morning but everything was fine once I got to the first tee grandstand to see the sunrise in this picture: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoQp-ofgaEj/?igshid=7s5dv5s35to9

Have been lucky enough to have been to all kinds of sport all of over Europe and in the states, got tickets for all of the Euros this year, hoping for some baseball in the states and cricket in India by the end of 2020.
Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 20:08 - Feb 3 with 2735 viewsbluelagos

Classic non footballing moments you were there to see on 18:41 - Feb 3 by WeWereZombies

Earthquake in Peru 2001
Dales Way 1980
Kayaking Tasman Bay 2016

Not really "classic" but worth a mention...

Lost all my windows to an armed depot exploding in 2002
Arm robbed in 2005 (7 robbers with AK47s)
Chased by armed robbers 3 times (got away) on 3rd mainland bridge
Drove through a gang of machete wielding area boys attacking locals
Hospitalised 3 times with Malaria
Plane evacuated on the runway (2005) due to (false) security alert
Car impounded for making illegal u-turn
Too many police stops / fines to count (All bollx reasons)
Lost count of the threats

All during first (of three) stints in Lagos (01-05). Not for the feint hearted.
:-)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024