Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... 00:32 - Feb 4 with 4007 viewsmonytowbray

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-51341735

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 01:31 - Feb 4 with 3948 viewsSwansea_Blue

Been done, but yeah it’s sad. Brexit isn’t the cause though, the parties who are pushing the populist nationalist stuff are the cause; UKIP, BP and increasingly the Tories (such that they are now indistinguishable from the first two). And the media (especially columnists) for continually stirring up racism and xenophobia.

Brexit’s just another symptom of this cancer (I can’t think of another way to describe it other than a cancer; it’s making us terminally ill as a country).

I’m not sure how we can stop all this rubbish. As long as people are happy to revert to their base instincts and be blatantly lied to and mislead by politicians and the media I think we’re a bit stuck.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 01:44 - Feb 4 with 3930 viewsjeera

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 01:31 - Feb 4 by Swansea_Blue

Been done, but yeah it’s sad. Brexit isn’t the cause though, the parties who are pushing the populist nationalist stuff are the cause; UKIP, BP and increasingly the Tories (such that they are now indistinguishable from the first two). And the media (especially columnists) for continually stirring up racism and xenophobia.

Brexit’s just another symptom of this cancer (I can’t think of another way to describe it other than a cancer; it’s making us terminally ill as a country).

I’m not sure how we can stop all this rubbish. As long as people are happy to revert to their base instincts and be blatantly lied to and mislead by politicians and the media I think we’re a bit stuck.

Stop it? I don't think you can.

There's a smugness to this nastiness that's manifested itself - a pride in being unpleasant that's viewed as some kind of rediscovered strength.

If you oppose it you are seen as weak.

There's a real element of needy self-worth going on here, people who have lived their lives by a particular set of beliefs who weren't ready to be challenged. Even those who may have begun to doubt themselves have had their original stances strengthened and have 'swung' back to their former selves. I've witnessed it with my own eyes. People I know.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 02:39 - Feb 4 with 3910 viewsIPS_wich

So if we assume that TWTD is a reasonable cross-section of society, then 52% of TWTD posters will have voted for Brexit (yes I know turn out etc...)

I refuse to believe that everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist, but I bet a large proportion of those that did vote for Brexit and who are not overtly racist believe that this country has been adversely affected by the freedom of movement. For example, I don't believe my Dad is especially racist (just has the typical prejudices of most boomers), but he has often commented how the Norwich Rd area is like a European ghetto.

I would be fascinated to understand from other board posters who did back Brexit what they think of things like this. Do you condone it? Do you agree with it? Do you regret that Brexit has emboldened people like this to express their views so overtly?

Not trying to start an argument, but genuinely can't get my head around someone thinking this way and I'd like to understand more.
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 03:26 - Feb 4 with 3896 viewsRyorry

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 02:39 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

So if we assume that TWTD is a reasonable cross-section of society, then 52% of TWTD posters will have voted for Brexit (yes I know turn out etc...)

I refuse to believe that everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist, but I bet a large proportion of those that did vote for Brexit and who are not overtly racist believe that this country has been adversely affected by the freedom of movement. For example, I don't believe my Dad is especially racist (just has the typical prejudices of most boomers), but he has often commented how the Norwich Rd area is like a European ghetto.

I would be fascinated to understand from other board posters who did back Brexit what they think of things like this. Do you condone it? Do you agree with it? Do you regret that Brexit has emboldened people like this to express their views so overtly?

Not trying to start an argument, but genuinely can't get my head around someone thinking this way and I'd like to understand more.

"just has the typical prejudices of most boomers"

If for the sake of argument we take that as correct (I don't, most boomers I know, including myself, voted remain & aren't prejudiced in terms of 'isms') then I don't think you can say that "TWTD is a reasonable cross-section of society", as my strong impression is that of the people who currently post regularly on here, a large number are 'boomers', and the overall majority were & still are pro-EU/anti-Brexit - my guesstimate would be to the tune of about 75%:25%.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 4:10]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 07:17 - Feb 4 with 3744 viewsIPS_wich

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 03:26 - Feb 4 by Ryorry

"just has the typical prejudices of most boomers"

If for the sake of argument we take that as correct (I don't, most boomers I know, including myself, voted remain & aren't prejudiced in terms of 'isms') then I don't think you can say that "TWTD is a reasonable cross-section of society", as my strong impression is that of the people who currently post regularly on here, a large number are 'boomers', and the overall majority were & still are pro-EU/anti-Brexit - my guesstimate would be to the tune of about 75%:25%.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2020 4:10]

If we assume Boomers were born between 45 and 65, then that makes them 55-75 years old. The analysis of the Brexit vote indicated that 60% of people over 65 voted to leave. It was the largest demographic of leave voters.

I suspect that - much like me - you surround yourselves with like minded folks. I'm solidly in the middle of Gen X, but my Facebook feed and dinner party conversations lulled me into a false sense of security in that everyone I know (with the exception of most of my boomer relatives) were for remaining. Yet the Gen X vote was pretty much 50/50.

But given that I lived and worked in London for almost 18 years, it appears that my friends and colleagues from that time and place are not a good barometer of the national mood.

Even last Friday there were just countless posts on my Facebook feed of people lamenting Brexit finally happening. Not one post celebrating the milestone.
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:01 - Feb 4 with 3666 viewsbluelagos

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 07:17 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

If we assume Boomers were born between 45 and 65, then that makes them 55-75 years old. The analysis of the Brexit vote indicated that 60% of people over 65 voted to leave. It was the largest demographic of leave voters.

I suspect that - much like me - you surround yourselves with like minded folks. I'm solidly in the middle of Gen X, but my Facebook feed and dinner party conversations lulled me into a false sense of security in that everyone I know (with the exception of most of my boomer relatives) were for remaining. Yet the Gen X vote was pretty much 50/50.

But given that I lived and worked in London for almost 18 years, it appears that my friends and colleagues from that time and place are not a good barometer of the national mood.

Even last Friday there were just countless posts on my Facebook feed of people lamenting Brexit finally happening. Not one post celebrating the milestone.

Had a chat with a reasonable Brexiteer on Friday night. Only taken 3 1/2 years but finally encountered one.

The echo chamber is very real. When I meet people who whinge about migrants and the levels of migration I choose to limit the time I spend in their company. And if I find myself listening to such bollx I tend not to engage, rather just make clear my contempt for ill informed ignorant nonsense.

This does tend to limit genuine discussion on this (me bad) but there's only so much banging your head against a brick wall that any of us can do...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:10 - Feb 4 with 3645 viewsWD19

Saw some really interesting research a couple of days ago about how much more tolerant of divergent opinions ‘brexit’ voters are versus ‘remain’ voters. Felt slightly counter-intuitive initially, but I guess is actually consistent with the ‘live and met live’ view of life.
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:23 - Feb 4 with 3617 viewsmr_bean

"We are now our own country again and the the Queens English is the spoken tongue here"

I make that one extra "the", and one missing ownership apostrophe. If they're going to come out with such moronic claptrap, they could at least use correct grammar.

The irony.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:37 - Feb 4 with 3581 viewsPinewoodblue

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:23 - Feb 4 by mr_bean

"We are now our own country again and the the Queens English is the spoken tongue here"

I make that one extra "the", and one missing ownership apostrophe. If they're going to come out with such moronic claptrap, they could at least use correct grammar.

The irony.

Nor sure Queen’s English and Norfolk fit comfortably in the same sentence. NFN.

Incidentally later this week Ann Widicombe is on stage at theatre in Hunstanton talking about Brexit no doubt the audience will be aged 55+

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:44 - Feb 4 with 3564 viewsmonytowbray

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:10 - Feb 4 by WD19

Saw some really interesting research a couple of days ago about how much more tolerant of divergent opinions ‘brexit’ voters are versus ‘remain’ voters. Felt slightly counter-intuitive initially, but I guess is actually consistent with the ‘live and met live’ view of life.

It’s easy to say “live and let live” when someone doesn’t understand the impact certain behaviours, attitudes and opinions have on others though.

Then again, I have encountered plenty of Brexit voters who probably do believe that, unless you are gay, Muslim, a woman or an EU national - then you should live the way of life the Brexiteer feels comfortable with.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 09:09 - Feb 4 with 3503 viewsMugwump

Are you saying that Brexit has caused the person who did this to think the way they do?
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 09:14 - Feb 4 with 3500 viewsHerbivore

There's been a very heartening response to this from the residents of the tower block in question and I don't think this tosser's views are representative of their own part of te community, let alone the community as a whole. Norwich was the only part of Norfolk and Suffolk that voted remain in the referendum. It is worrying that these cave trolls have been emboldened to think their views are now mainstream, but this is as much down to the likes of Johnson and Patel pandering to them in order to win votes as it is down to Brexit.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 09:31 - Feb 4 with 3457 viewsfactual_blue

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 08:23 - Feb 4 by mr_bean

The irony.

And 'we are now in our own country again' is nonsense.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 09:36 - Feb 4 with 3434 viewsNo9

It's Norfolk, you should not be surprised.
Although Norwich is not, most of Norfolk is very right wing
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 11:08 - Feb 4 with 3342 viewsRyorry

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 07:17 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

Tbh, I was commenting more on that I don't think this board is a representative cross-section of society than on what demographic leavers were/Brexiteers are.

As far as I'm aware, I don't surround myself with anybody in particular really! Do encounter many members of the public both 'live' and on social media who disagree with me on Brexit.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 17:56 - Feb 4 with 3188 viewsOxford_Blue

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 02:39 - Feb 4 by IPS_wich

Racism is not confined to one political group.

You might want to have look at what is going on within the Labour Party.
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 18:07 - Feb 4 with 3151 viewsHARRY10

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 17:56 - Feb 4 by Oxford_Blue

or what the Tory press would have you believe - however opposition to the state of Israel is not racism

however

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-bercow-antisemitism-conserva
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 20:49 - Feb 4 with 3072 viewsOxford_Blue

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 18:07 - Feb 4 by HARRY10

or what the Tory press would have you believe - however opposition to the state of Israel is not racism

however

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/john-bercow-antisemitism-conserva

You’re seriously trying to argue that Labour doesn’t have any issue with anti Semitic views?
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 20:54 - Feb 4 with 3060 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 17:56 - Feb 4 by Oxford_Blue

Quite right, it’s a cancer to varying degrees across society. Antisemitism is worse on the right still, as is broader racism, but that doesn’t excuse it anywhere.

It’d be nice if people stopped trying to score political points over the issue and instead United to condemn it wherever it occurs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 21:51 - Feb 4 with 2979 viewsOxford_Blue

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 20:54 - Feb 4 by Swansea_Blue

Quite right, it’s a cancer to varying degrees across society. Antisemitism is worse on the right still, as is broader racism, but that doesn’t excuse it anywhere.

It’d be nice if people stopped trying to score political points over the issue and instead United to condemn it wherever it occurs.

You’re slipping in scoring political points by claiming it’s worse on the right.

How on earth do you measure that? What is your evidence?

Labour is really struggling with anti Semitic problems at the moment. I am sure there are issues in the Tory party as well. How can you conclude it is worse on the right?
Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 22:09 - Feb 4 with 2935 viewsjeera

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 21:51 - Feb 4 by Oxford_Blue

You’re slipping in scoring political points by claiming it’s worse on the right.

Labour is really struggling with anti Semitic problems at the moment. I am sure there are issues in the Tory party as well. How can you conclude it is worse on the right?

Not alone though are they?

It's not a competition, no, but some of them are doing their damned hardest to try to make it one:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/04/tories-daniel-kawczynski-mp-spo

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 22:41 - Feb 4 with 2882 viewsHerbivore

Brexit just gets worse and worse, look what the nation has enabled... on 21:51 - Feb 4 by Oxford_Blue

There's a comprehensive report by the JPR which shows that antisemitic attitudes are significantly more prevalent on the right than on the left. That's not to say there are no issues with it on the left, but antisemitism - along with other forms of racism - is a much bigger issue on the right.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024