Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity 10:08 - Feb 4 with 16174 viewsSteve_M

A lost decade even before the pointless, self-defeating waste of political energy that Brexit will continue to be for the next decade.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2020/02/boris-johnson-britain-

"The most striking example of this is the constellation of problems caused by cuts to local councils, which have lost nearly 60 percent of the funding that the central government previously gave them. The knock-on effects can be seen across the public realm: Six hundred youth clubs have closed in the past decade; 800 libraries have gone; public-health measures, such as anti-smoking campaigns and nutritional awareness, were excluded from the “ring fence” that protected the NHS budget during austerity, resulting in avoidable illnesses costing the health service billions of pounds."

Lewis's concluding paragraph is too optimistic though, Johnson and his successors will continue to blame everyone and everything rather than ever accept responsibility. We need a competent opposition very badly at the moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:14 - Feb 4 with 4405 viewsbrazil1982

You hate the Tories, we get it.
Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:16 - Feb 4 with 4404 viewsfactual_blue

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:14 - Feb 4 by brazil1982

Well thought out, closely argued demolition of Steve's post. You've convinced pretty well everybody.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:25 - Feb 4 with 4378 viewsartsbossbeard

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:14 - Feb 4 by brazil1982

I'm not getting political on here anymore but it's worth noting that pre-election I posted a massive list of govt failing (to include the ones highlighted by Steve above) and if that wasn't enough to convince anyone swaying, I really don't know what would.

Once we get Brexit done though...

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:26 - Feb 4 with 4375 viewsGuthrum

Some of us hate what the Conservatives have done to this country in recent years. The ideological squeeze on public services in order to give tax cuts to the already comfortably off and to successful businesses. The hostile environments created not just in immigration, but also towards the unemployed, the sick and the unfortunate. The poorly-managed privatisation of public companies (New Labour carry blame for this, also).

The abandonment of ideas of duty and society (to which Thatcher herself subscribed) in favour of US-style libertarianism.

It's not the Conservative party of Peel, Shaftesbury, Churchill, Macmillan and Douglas-Home any more. Nor even really of Thatcher and Major. It's now mostly a support group for hedge fund managers and other wealthy donors.

I will wait to see whether Johnson's "One Nation Tory" credentials have any substance before changing my mind.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:29 - Feb 4 with 4341 viewschicoazul

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:26 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

Some of us hate what the Conservatives have done to this country in recent years. The ideological squeeze on public services in order to give tax cuts to the already comfortably off and to successful businesses. The hostile environments created not just in immigration, but also towards the unemployed, the sick and the unfortunate. The poorly-managed privatisation of public companies (New Labour carry blame for this, also).

The abandonment of ideas of duty and society (to which Thatcher herself subscribed) in favour of US-style libertarianism.

It's not the Conservative party of Peel, Shaftesbury, Churchill, Macmillan and Douglas-Home any more. Nor even really of Thatcher and Major. It's now mostly a support group for hedge fund managers and other wealthy donors.

I will wait to see whether Johnson's "One Nation Tory" credentials have any substance before changing my mind.

Since Johnson is an arch-Blairite you will be waiting a long time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:32 - Feb 4 with 4322 viewshomer_123

Would you like to have a go at how the Tories have benefited the Country in the last 10 years?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:33 - Feb 4 with 4328 viewsGuthrum

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:26 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

I really ought not to just blanket-condemn hedge fund managers. It's more an archetype of those who have borrowed other people's money to gamble with (often using family or parental friendship networks), siphoned off enough to make themselves very rich (regardless of results) and now look down with distain upon the poor.

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:36 - Feb 4 with 4308 viewshomer_123

It's depressing isn't it.

How this current Government gained such a majority given the last 10 years, the fact that an internal party issue then ripped the country apart with the Tory leader wiping his hands and walking away and leaving us an utterly incompetent PM dealing with Brexit that lead to Johnson - appears to have been lost on people - or they just don't give a sh*t anymore.

Login to get fewer ads

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:37 - Feb 4 with 4309 viewsfactual_blue

I remember being at event where the Director of Finance for Birmingham City Council described the effects on local government of dealing with cameron's austerity measures.

cameron had proclaimed that the cuts to Birmingham's budget were 0.7% of their budget. What cameron forgot to mention was that, when you take the statutory commitments (minor things like teachers' salary, statutory social services commitments etc) out of the budget figure, the cut represented 25% of the amount that the Council could legally cut. That's why libraries close, adult social care collapses, and - worst of all - potholes don't get mended.

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:38 - Feb 4 with 4302 viewsfactual_blue

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:33 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

I really ought not to just blanket-condemn hedge fund managers. It's more an archetype of those who have borrowed other people's money to gamble with (often using family or parental friendship networks), siphoned off enough to make themselves very rich (regardless of results) and now look down with distain upon the poor.

What about Town fan Michael Spencer?

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:40 - Feb 4 with 4299 viewshomer_123

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:37 - Feb 4 by factual_blue

I remember being at event where the Director of Finance for Birmingham City Council described the effects on local government of dealing with cameron's austerity measures.

cameron had proclaimed that the cuts to Birmingham's budget were 0.7% of their budget. What cameron forgot to mention was that, when you take the statutory commitments (minor things like teachers' salary, statutory social services commitments etc) out of the budget figure, the cut represented 25% of the amount that the Council could legally cut. That's why libraries close, adult social care collapses, and - worst of all - potholes don't get mended.

Those pot holes must play havoc with your horse and carriage.

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:42 - Feb 4 with 4297 viewsfactual_blue

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:40 - Feb 4 by homer_123

Those pot holes must play havoc with your horse and carriage.

With all those budget cuts, it's no wonder the council just throw the compensation claims in the bin.

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:45 - Feb 4 with 4279 viewsHARRY10

or just let Johnson et al run with it for a year or so

allowing the numties to see what they voted for

ah yes, a man who has left a wake of failure beind him, costing millions in losses through failed projects and being sacked twice for lying

his term as Foreign Secretary was warning enough for those who paid interest - his blatant lies were enough for those who don't
Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:47 - Feb 4 with 4282 viewsGuthrum

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:38 - Feb 4 by factual_blue

What about Town fan Michael Spencer?

At one point, I worked in the charity sector, on the fundraising side. In that time I saw quite how much the very wealthy give away via grantmaking trusts. Wealth in and of itself is not a problem, more attitude and willingness to contribute to society.

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:56 - Feb 4 with 4259 viewshomer_123

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:47 - Feb 4 by Guthrum

At one point, I worked in the charity sector, on the fundraising side. In that time I saw quite how much the very wealthy give away via grantmaking trusts. Wealth in and of itself is not a problem, more attitude and willingness to contribute to society.

There is nothing wrong with trying to earn good money but how it's earned (at the detriment of others for example) and then what one does with once it's been acquired matters a lot. In addition, ensuring that during the accumulation of wealth, one also pays one taxes and looks to give back - is also important.

As you say, attitude and willingness are indeed important. Also an understanding that others won't have the opportunity to earn the same way or need a helping hand.

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 11:11 - Feb 4 with 4239 viewsSteve_M

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:36 - Feb 4 by homer_123

It's depressing isn't it.

How this current Government gained such a majority given the last 10 years, the fact that an internal party issue then ripped the country apart with the Tory leader wiping his hands and walking away and leaving us an utterly incompetent PM dealing with Brexit that lead to Johnson - appears to have been lost on people - or they just don't give a sh*t anymore.

Cameron and Osborne always hoped that in making such large cuts to council budgets that they would get the blame rather than central government. Add in the incompetence and Corbyn's lack of electability and it all fell nicely for them.

I suspect the shine, such that it is, will come off Johnson's government as reality becomes more obvious over the next couple of years and - hopefully - Starmer or Nandy start holding him to account.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 11:42 - Feb 4 with 4205 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 11:43 - Feb 4 with 4192 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 10:32 - Feb 4 by homer_123

Would you like to have a go at how the Tories have benefited the Country in the last 10 years?

They kept Jeremy Corbyn out of No10.

Next...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Good piece on the state of Britain after 10 years of austerity on 11:44 - Feb 4 with 4185 viewsDarth_Koont

The central government have been setting up local government to fail for longer than that but of course it's got much worse with austerity.

I really don't know why we've become so accepting of a politics and media that have become more and more a centralised bubble when almost all the evidence shows that a local approach is needed in parallel.

Scandalous how little coverage this receives.

Pronouns: He/Him

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:04 - Feb 4 with 4088 viewsHARRY10

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 11:42 - Feb 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

if you had a clue rather than simply trotting out right wing nonsense, you would be aware

"As everyone knows, the letter was intended as a wry joke (not to mention a private one). Indeed, there is a serried tradition of ministers leaving their successors jokey private notes for when they take over the office. In 1964 when Reginald Maudling handed over the Treasury to Jim Callaghan he left a note saying: “Good luck, old cock. Sorry to leave it in such a mess!”
Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:09 - Feb 4 with 4061 viewsDarth_Koont

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:04 - Feb 4 by HARRY10

if you had a clue rather than simply trotting out right wing nonsense, you would be aware

"As everyone knows, the letter was intended as a wry joke (not to mention a private one). Indeed, there is a serried tradition of ministers leaving their successors jokey private notes for when they take over the office. In 1964 when Reginald Maudling handed over the Treasury to Jim Callaghan he left a note saying: “Good luck, old cock. Sorry to leave it in such a mess!”

Amazing how people keep trotting out this myth when the explanation and truth have been in the public domain the whole time.

It's even been corrected on here over a dozen times, I'm sure.

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:11 - Feb 4 with 4052 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:04 - Feb 4 by HARRY10

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:11 - Feb 4 with 4050 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:09 - Feb 4 by Darth_Koont

Amazing how people keep trotting out this myth when the explanation and truth have been in the public domain the whole time.

It's even been corrected on here over a dozen times, I'm sure.

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:12 - Feb 4 with 4039 viewsDarth_Koont

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:11 - Feb 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wouldn't go that far. But you could certainly up your game.

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:16 - Feb 4 with 4013 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Got to agree, shame on Labour for digging the financial hole on 12:12 - Feb 4 by Darth_Koont

I wouldn't go that far. But you could certainly up your game.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024