Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
4 - 4 - 2 15:13 - Feb 4 with 2089 viewsGarv

Is it fair to say if we want to play this formation during the remainder of the season, we're more or less stuffed?

Of players who we can expect to see again this season i.e not Lankester, our wide options are as follows:
Edwards - out and out winger, showed very little this season.
Judge - a number 10, can play wide but we all know it's not ideal
Rowe - recently had surgery, no clear comeback date
Sears - nowhere near fit from what I can see, also not a winger
Garbutt - injured, somewhere in between a wing back and winger
Dobra - number 10 for me, be surprised if he's trusted to start on the wing.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

4 - 4 - 2 on 15:25 - Feb 4 with 2036 viewsbluefunk

you are quite correct re wide players. I guess we could play the midfield 4 narrow (like MM used to) by making Judge and Edwards the outside 2, but Judge offers little defensively (actually think Edwards could do the job though) but we have so few options for 442. Equally importantly, though we dont exactly have many options for wing backs in the current formation - this week and possibly beyond, if we stick with 3412, then Donacien and Kenlock are the wide players in the 4 - happy days!!
4 - 4 - 2 on 15:29 - Feb 4 with 2027 viewsHerbivore

I suspect we've seen the end of 4-4-2 for now at least. If we go to a flat back 4 again, which we may well do and esepcially this weekend, I think it'll be a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

4 - 4 - 2 on 15:51 - Feb 4 with 1994 viewsGerkensBeard

I think the actual problem with us playing the 4-4-2 is that we only have 1 centre midfielder capable of playing it. Flynn Downes. A list of partnerships that don’t work
Downes and Skuse. Not creative enough. Skuse too slow to cover the ground.
Downes and Dozzell. Dozzell can’t play in a 2, too lightweight although creative.
Downes and Huws. Would still only trust Huws in a 3 but would have perhaps the most potential.
Downes and Nolan. Nolan too negative and inconsistent.

I’d like to think Garbutt and Sears/ Edwards would be good wide options with Kenlock and Donacien as full backs. Perhaps sears LM with Garbutt overlapping to put balls in.

Norwood and Jackson have to be the pair going forward. In whatever formation. Especially in a 4-4-2 which is built on Lamberts “pressing style” those guys up front never give defenders a rest and are constantly on the move.
4 - 4 - 2 on 15:59 - Feb 4 with 1969 viewsHerbivore

4 - 4 - 2 on 15:51 - Feb 4 by GerkensBeard

I think the actual problem with us playing the 4-4-2 is that we only have 1 centre midfielder capable of playing it. Flynn Downes. A list of partnerships that don’t work
Downes and Dozzell. Dozzell can’t play in a 2, too lightweight although creative.
Downes and Huws. Would still only trust Huws in a 3 but would have perhaps the most potential.

I’d like to think Garbutt and Sears/ Edwards would be good wide options with Kenlock and Donacien as full backs. Perhaps sears LM with Garbutt overlapping to put balls in.

Norwood and Jackson have to be the pair going forward. In whatever formation. Especially in a 4-4-2 which is built on Lamberts “pressing style” those guys up front never give defenders a rest and are constantly on the move.

To all intents and purposes, Downes and Huws have been playing as a midfield two since the start of the new year. Judge essentially has a free role and does very little work alongside the CMs.

4 - 4 - 2 on 16:27 - Feb 4 with 1918 viewsPilgrimblue

4 - 4 - 2 on 15:59 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

To all intents and purposes, Downes and Huws have been playing as a midfield two since the start of the new year. Judge essentially has a free role and does very little work alongside the CMs.

In light of injuries/suspensions this would seem to be best atm.

If Huws is fit then that would be best with Flynn, otherwise would prefer Dozzy or Nolan as its about time they played for their future.
4 - 4 - 2 on 17:04 - Feb 4 with 1872 viewshomer_123

You could have stopped that sentence after the word little.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

4 - 4 - 2 on 17:32 - Feb 4 with 1840 viewsGerkensBeard

Yes but he occupies one of the oppositions midfielders, so is still a midfield 3
4 - 4 - 2 on 17:35 - Feb 4 with 1839 viewsHerbivore

4 - 4 - 2 on 17:32 - Feb 4 by GerkensBeard

Yes but he occupies one of the oppositions midfielders, so is still a midfield 3

Disagree. He doesn't occupy anyone.

Login to get fewer ads

4 - 4 - 2 on 17:47 - Feb 4 with 1824 viewsDennyx4

4 - 4 - 2 on 15:51 - Feb 4 by GerkensBeard

I think the main reason we have gone with 352 is that we cant get the lone striker to work with the options we have.

Thus limits the choices to 442 or 352/532 or diamond.

Most teams play three central midfielders in one way or another (433, 532, 4231 etc) - which is why we have tried to not be outnumbered.

We have mainly switched between 442 and 352 this season and both have there faults. The only time I can recall us playing 433 with three fprwards was at home to Bristol Rovers - and we got undone that day by playing Skuse in a back four.

Would be happy to try that again with Donacien or KVY at right back, and could be a better way forward.
4 - 4 - 2 on 18:17 - Feb 4 with 1797 viewsBlueBadger

4 - 4 - 2 on 17:35 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

Lest of all himself.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

4 - 4 - 2 on 18:55 - Feb 4 with 1749 viewsBlueBadger

4 - 4 - 2 on 17:47 - Feb 4 by Dennyx4

I think the main reason we have gone with 352 is that we cant get the lone striker to work with the options we have.

Thus limits the choices to 442 or 352/532 or diamond.

Most teams play three central midfielders in one way or another (433, 532, 4231 etc) - which is why we have tried to not be outnumbered.

We have mainly switched between 442 and 352 this season and both have there faults. The only time I can recall us playing 433 with three fprwards was at home to Bristol Rovers - and we got undone that day by playing Skuse in a back four.

Would be happy to try that again with Donacien or KVY at right back, and could be a better way forward.

The main reason we've gone 3-5-2 is that we had a few better performances and the odd win with it that coincided with the manager being told to stop endlessly fiddling with the lineup and formation.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

4 - 4 - 2 on 20:19 - Feb 4 with 1675 viewsreusersfreekicks

No that would be a retrograde step
4 - 4 - 2 on 13:17 - Feb 5 with 1496 viewsGarv

4 - 4 - 2 on 17:35 - Feb 4 by Herbivore

He occupied someone when he put Jackson in one on one against Rotherham, our best chance incidentally.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

4 - 4 - 2 on 16:37 - Feb 5 with 1439 viewsHerbivore

4 - 4 - 2 on 13:17 - Feb 5 by Garv

He occupied someone when he put Jackson in one on one against Rotherham, our best chance incidentally.

I can sell you some straws if you like, save you clutching at them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024