Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it wrong to support a second side? 08:24 - Feb 5 with 7429 viewsPippin1970

Ipswich will always be my team and go to away games in the north. Morecambe I've adopted as my local side, financially cheaper but personally on the doorstep. Any others do the same or second team?
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:27 - Feb 5 with 4952 viewshomer_123

Yes.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:45 - Feb 5 with 4897 viewsBowls1e

Same mate. Go to all the Town games I can home & away but I live in Stoke on Trent so have a season ticket at the Bet 365. I go & sing their songs & have a laugh. Nothing wrong with it Town will always be my 1st love.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:48 - Feb 5 with 4882 viewschicoazul

I suppose it depends on "support". Plenty of people go to see a local team near where they live for instance. And I dont know about anyone else but I always have to support one team or the other even if I am watching a game in the park or on TV or whatever.
There must be loads of division 3 or 4 club fans who also support of follow or whatever a team in the Prem though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:58 - Feb 5 with 4852 viewsFtnfwest

Home town Cambridge and college town was pompey so have always taken an interest in them. Went to lots of Cambridge games in 70s and 80s when I couldn't get to Ipswich and pompey in mid 80s. So soft spot rather than support, certainly these days. Wouldn't want either to get so much as a consolation goal against town though
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:02 - Feb 5 with 4841 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:45 - Feb 5 by Bowls1e

Same mate. Go to all the Town games I can home & away but I live in Stoke on Trent so have a season ticket at the Bet 365. I go & sing their songs & have a laugh. Nothing wrong with it Town will always be my 1st love.

Didn't know I had a fellow Stokie on the board. Was born and raised in Stoke, moved to Ipswich about 6 years ago but all my family still live in Trentham and work in the Stoke.

Still my home.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:30 - Feb 5 with 4784 viewsmonytowbray

Having a local team you like if you move away is the done thing IMO. Pompey will always have a spot in my heart but Ipswich are my true love.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:35 - Feb 5 with 4760 viewsChateauWines

Fiorentina and Raith Rovers for my sins. Highly unlikely they will ever play Town in the future

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:39 - Feb 5 with 4742 viewsFixed_It

I personally couldn't get the same buzz (and frustration) that I get from supporting Town. Without the emotional involvement the game isn't the same. Just my personal opinion.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:43 - Feb 5 with 4725 viewsshouldistayorcounago

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:35 - Feb 5 by ChateauWines

Fiorentina and Raith Rovers for my sins. Highly unlikely they will ever play Town in the future

Depends how much you support the second side. I go to Maidstone games when the town aren't playing or I have a free evening midweek, but I can't say I feel any pain if Maidstone lose. It's more of something to do and supporting the local community but I'm not too bothered about Maidstone's success really. Whereas Ipswich give me nightmares which I suppose is testament to how much this shambles of a club does and always will mean to me.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:47 - Feb 5 with 4704 viewsitfcjoe

It depends really - don't think anything wrong with 'supporting' a second team if you live locally and go to their games.....for many people their allegiances will flip, I know plenty who have done that both to and from ITFC

I find the support a second team when it is just a PL team you like a bit weird though - like Liverpool despite never going to a game or anything. I don't really get the big club fans generally.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:48 - Feb 5 with 4692 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:39 - Feb 5 by Fixed_It

I personally couldn't get the same buzz (and frustration) that I get from supporting Town. Without the emotional involvement the game isn't the same. Just my personal opinion.

Yep, this is my thing, I do watch Atalanta BC for no other reason that I stumbled across them and enjoyed the way that they play.

But I do not get the same excitement, buzz or commonly with Ipswich, frustration.

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:52 - Feb 5 with 4675 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 08:45 - Feb 5 by Bowls1e

Good for you. Some people (normally those who've never moved away from their home town, or youngsters with few other commitments) see this as a bad thing. But that's pretty small-minded imo. Nothing wrong with going to watch your local team at all, whoever it is. I've been a regular at about 5 different clubs, but the Towen alwasys come first whenever possible.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:54 - Feb 5 with 4670 viewsitfcjoe

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:43 - Feb 5 by shouldistayorcounago

Depends how much you support the second side. I go to Maidstone games when the town aren't playing or I have a free evening midweek, but I can't say I feel any pain if Maidstone lose. It's more of something to do and supporting the local community but I'm not too bothered about Maidstone's success really. Whereas Ipswich give me nightmares which I suppose is testament to how much this shambles of a club does and always will mean to me.

I went to most Southampton games when I was at uni there, got quite into it - but one of the last games I went to was a 3-3 draw with Newcastle and I was much more pleased with the fact that Darren Ambrose scored a (late?) equaliser than I was disappointed that Southampton dropped points in a relegation battle which sums it up for me

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:59 - Feb 5 with 4644 viewsElephantintheRoom

Seems wrong not to. I followed Bristol City and Rovers when I lived in Bristol..Stirling Albion and a pilgrimage to all Scottish grounds when I lived in Scotland. Still feel mildly pleased when they are doing well. I supported Cambridge Utd when Evans first arrived and 'enjoyed' play-off success and failure with a more balanced eye. When MM made life unbearable I watched Leiston from time to time. Right now my second team is Cincinnati Bengals - who are just as inept as Town.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:05 - Feb 5 with 4619 viewsBlueNomad

Depends where you grew up and who you actually went to watch. At that time you have no awareness of where you are likely to settle in adult life. Nothing wrong with that.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:05 - Feb 5 with 4618 viewsBowls1e

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:02 - Feb 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Didn't know I had a fellow Stokie on the board. Was born and raised in Stoke, moved to Ipswich about 6 years ago but all my family still live in Trentham and work in the Stoke.

Still my home.

Yeah I don't post much I kind of observe most of the time.

I've done the opposite. Lived in Braintree all my life but moved up to North Staffs for the wife. I remember going to watch Town at Port Vale back in 99/00 & thinking who the hell would want to live here. Turns out I do apparently. I actually work at Hanley Fire Station. Your family definitely live in the nicest part of the city, love a Sunday afternoon at Trentham Gardens or a short drive over to Barlaston.
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:14 - Feb 5 with 4594 viewsGuthrum

I'm not really enough of a fan of football (I support Ipswich more because of Suffolk and family connections than a great love of the game).

But I do keep an affectionate eye out for how certain other teams are doing - Liverpool (brother-in-law is a big fan), Cambridge (grew up on the border and went to school there), Cheltenham (where I now live). Tho with only the last of those have I actually been to a non-ITFC-related match, back when they were in the Conference.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:16 - Feb 5 with 4579 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:54 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

I went to most Southampton games when I was at uni there, got quite into it - but one of the last games I went to was a 3-3 draw with Newcastle and I was much more pleased with the fact that Darren Ambrose scored a (late?) equaliser than I was disappointed that Southampton dropped points in a relegation battle which sums it up for me

It's can be more enjoyable watching other sides - far less nervy and a loss doesn't ruin the weekend!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:45 - Feb 5 with 4521 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:05 - Feb 5 by Bowls1e

Yeah I don't post much I kind of observe most of the time.

I've done the opposite. Lived in Braintree all my life but moved up to North Staffs for the wife. I remember going to watch Town at Port Vale back in 99/00 & thinking who the hell would want to live here. Turns out I do apparently. I actually work at Hanley Fire Station. Your family definitely live in the nicest part of the city, love a Sunday afternoon at Trentham Gardens or a short drive over to Barlaston.

Ironically I grew up the opposite, travelling to Suffolk every other Saturday with my father thinking, yes this is lovely place to live and then returning to Stoke-on-Trent.

Trentham Garden is probably one of the nicer attractions indeed in the area.

My step-father works in the Police in Stoke still and is a fellow ST holder at the Bet 365.

If you you are working in Hanley centre, i would suspected you don't see the prettier side of Staffordshire to often in your work life.

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 13:10 - Feb 5 with 4387 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 10:45 - Feb 5 by TheTrueBlue1878

Ironically I grew up the opposite, travelling to Suffolk every other Saturday with my father thinking, yes this is lovely place to live and then returning to Stoke-on-Trent.

Trentham Garden is probably one of the nicer attractions indeed in the area.

My step-father works in the Police in Stoke still and is a fellow ST holder at the Bet 365.

If you you are working in Hanley centre, i would suspected you don't see the prettier side of Staffordshire to often in your work life.

Grew up just north of Stoke in Cheshire, (Alsager to be precise). Would get the bus to Hanley to go round the shops.

Loved the Robson side on the TV and they became my team (Dad had no interest in the game)

Now I live in Ipswich. (Made even better now Sainsburys here are selling oatcakes)
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 13:15 - Feb 5 with 4359 viewsTractorCam

I technically have 3, adding Ipswich Wanderers from division 10 and Fortuna Dusseldorf our adopted friends, so I hardly think that's bad!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 13:16 - Feb 5 with 4350 viewsBiGDonnie

Like who you want. lad.

I go to see Bromley play more than Ipswich, and while I 'support' Ipswich, I've got a lot of time for Bromley.

And Spurs, love Spurs.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 13:18 - Feb 5 with 4344 viewsBiGDonnie

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 09:54 - Feb 5 by itfcjoe

I find you enjoy the games more without the emotional attachment.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Is it wrong to support a second side? on 13:19 - Feb 5 with 4338 viewsPecker

Totally up to you. You can have as many teams as you like. ( just not Norwich obvs )
Is it wrong to support a second side? on 13:30 - Feb 5 with 4312 viewsHalf_Idiot

I wouldn't say support, but having lived in Sheffield for 8 years and knowing many Blades fans I have been following their incredible progress over the last 3/4 years.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024