Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I fought the law, I won 11:14 - Feb 6 with 1023 viewsPendejo

I have lived in my current home almost 16 years now, like many urban dwellings parking is tricky.

Our road has 2 bus routes running along it and everyone pavement parks, not long after moving in I was ticketed for pavement parking. I think it was for being on a single yellow line but the person didn't want to wait until 8am. I moved the car at 7.55am.

I appealed and won, and have parked in almost the same spot in the 15 years since.

September 2019 I was ticketed at 1am..

I appealed, and complained. Appeal failed and this led to my having to come into London's legal district for independent adjudication.

I allowed 90 minutes for what would normally be a 30 minute journey, but as Jubilee line was screwed there was overspill onto other lines. I rang ahead as expected to be late, walked quickly, jogged and ran the last few yards and got there 1 minute before my hearing, sweating and a bit pumped.

All of the hearings were being held with open doors, my man asked me to close his, he gave an overview of his understanding, which I agreed, and he found in my favour. It took longer to wait for the paperwork than the hearing.

The council made a mistake really, they provided evidence of something I had admitted to but didn't try to counter my statement of the letter received way back stating pavement parking was allowed here. I mean the letter was 15 years ago, I probably shredded it 9 years ago, so I had no proof it was ever sent.

The council had submitted a large file of evidence, and had sent someone to photograph signs etc that I had already photographed for my appeal submission. Did they deliberately undermine themselves at adjudication rather than grant my appeal.

Who cares.

I fought the law, I won.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I fought the law, I won on 12:47 - Feb 6 with 864 viewsClapham_Junction

Not sure if you saw, but there have been calls for a national ban on parking on pavements:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49635176

In London it's already banned unless there is signage in place to say you're allowed to do it.
I fought the law, I won on 13:09 - Feb 6 with 814 viewsbadadski

I fought the law, I won on 12:47 - Feb 6 by Clapham_Junction

Not sure if you saw, but there have been calls for a national ban on parking on pavements:

In London it's already banned unless there is signage in place to say you're allowed to do it.

It will be hard to outlaw pavement parking as there are so many roads where you have no choice as there are no parking spaces and just road parking.

With a car parked either side then it is almost tot narrow to drive down unless pavement parked. Our country isn't big enough for this luxury as a huge percentage of people have to road park in permit area's.

Also well done for fighting, but like you said, legally you had been found in favour years ago for the same offence and this set the precedent (is that the word?) Unless signs are clear to state that this has changed and no pavement parking is allowed or the law changes then you have a high chance of success.
I fought the law, I won on 13:11 - Feb 6 with 803 viewsPendejo

I fought the law, I won on 12:47 - Feb 6 by Clapham_Junction

And some people simply can't park.

On "my" side of the road pavement parking is still permitted, only parking bays have now been marked out, which allow sufficient space for a double width push chair to go thru. But some parking so bad, where you should be able to park 10 cars sometimes only 6 will fit.

My job moves to Paddington soon, and I will be given a lap top, so either commuting or work from home. Car no longer a necessity.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I fought the law, I won on 13:39 - Feb 6 with 733 viewsClapham_Junction

I fought the law, I won on 13:09 - Feb 6 by badadski

It will be hard to outlaw pavement parking as there are so many roads where you have no choice as there are no parking spaces and just road parking.

With a car parked either side then it is almost tot narrow to drive down unless pavement parked. Our country isn't big enough for this luxury as a huge percentage of people have to road park in permit area's.

Also well done for fighting, but like you said, legally you had been found in favour years ago for the same offence and this set the precedent (is that the word?) Unless signs are clear to state that this has changed and no pavement parking is allowed or the law changes then you have a high chance of success.

I guess those kinds of places will be where signage will allow it.

If we're to achieve the carbon reductions necessary to live on a healthy planet, car ownership is going to have to go down in urban areas, whether that's by encouraging more people to use public transport or cycling, or a big rollout of (electric) car club schemes. Even with current car usage levels, when you consider the proportion of time cars are actually used for, the number of cars needed for many streets (and therefore the number of parking bays) is almost certainly significantly lower than the current ownership levels.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024