Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stewart Lee 09:58 - Feb 7 with 1659 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Tedious, irritating, not particularly funny. That is genuinely what I thought of the bloke. I'd watched several of his shows and not once did I even laugh.

Then a few weeks ago I accidentally saw a clip and laughed out loud. It finished. Another one came on. I laughed even more. I've now watched everything the bloke has ever done and almost struggled for breath of several occasions. He's an utter genius.

So what has happened to me? Have I suddenly moved into middle age and his demographic? Become more intelligent and insightful? This is his old material perhaps somehow ahead of its time and now relevant?

But he's genuinely brilliant and I feel awful for ever doubting his absolute genius. Anyone else ever gone from not standing someone / something to then absolutely loving them in this manner. I'm not sure what happened!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 10:00]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Stewart Lee on 10:00 - Feb 7 with 1638 viewschicoazul

I'm so glad someone brought this up as this is a topic I have never seen discussed on here before.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Stewart Lee on 10:51 - Feb 7 with 1559 viewsBrixtonBlue

You became discerning.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Stewart Lee on 11:04 - Feb 7 with 1542 viewsclive_baker

I've gone the other way on Stewart Lee, and I was a big fan. The same can be said for a lot of comedians over the past few years though. No doubting he's funny, and certainly incredibly smart, but he can be a bit of a knob. James Acaster is another one, I liked him when he came on the scene, but he seems to have developed a heightened sense of self importance. He's one of many that have become less likeable over recent years for me. Even as a liberal & staunch remainer, I do think the wider economic landscape and brexit 'division' has seemingly opened the door to a group of tedious, 30ish, left leaning, 'woke' stand ups who just come across to me as spoilt, sanctimonious, arrogant, patronising, c***s. Nish Kumar is another one. Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of them funny, and agree with a lot of the content, but I find less and less of them to be likeable.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Stewart Lee on 11:11 - Feb 7 with 1529 viewsDarth_Koont

I think you summed it up well. Once he got you with a laugh you listened more and Lee's humour is working at a different level than it seems at first listen.

I love all sorts of comedians from storytellers to one-liner merchants and everything in between. Like a lot of them, Lee is fantastic at what he does.

Re: people/things I can't stand and then loving, I normally go from not caring to liking/loving and still not caring about the rest.

But the one that sticks out is bacon. For some reason I really didn't like it until I was about 15. Seems utter madness now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Stewart Lee on 12:10 - Feb 7 with 1473 viewsjeera

Stewart Lee on 11:04 - Feb 7 by clive_baker

I've gone the other way on Stewart Lee, and I was a big fan. The same can be said for a lot of comedians over the past few years though. No doubting he's funny, and certainly incredibly smart, but he can be a bit of a knob. James Acaster is another one, I liked him when he came on the scene, but he seems to have developed a heightened sense of self importance. He's one of many that have become less likeable over recent years for me. Even as a liberal & staunch remainer, I do think the wider economic landscape and brexit 'division' has seemingly opened the door to a group of tedious, 30ish, left leaning, 'woke' stand ups who just come across to me as spoilt, sanctimonious, arrogant, patronising, c***s. Nish Kumar is another one. Don't get me wrong, I find a lot of them funny, and agree with a lot of the content, but I find less and less of them to be likeable.

I still like the likes of Lee and Acaster but it's saturation that takes the edge off isn't it.

It's been like that for a awhile now (not Lee I know - but others), you get to see them perform here and there and you tune in with their wavelength and look forward to seeing them the next time.

Then they appear on a panel show and you tune in cos it's a familiar face, style you like etc.

Then they're on another one, then another, and another...

Then you get sick of them and wish they'd feck off.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stewart Lee on 12:59 - Feb 7 with 1420 viewsSwansea_Blue

All the commie hippies on here have been rubing off on you. Metaphorically speaking.

I like some of his stuff, but it was a slow burner at the start.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Stewart Lee on 19:00 - Feb 7 with 1247 viewsJamiebed

Stewart Lee on 12:59 - Feb 7 by Swansea_Blue

All the commie hippies on here have been rubing off on you. Metaphorically speaking.

I like some of his stuff, but it was a slow burner at the start.

Lee is a genius, and avoids chat/quiz shows, unless interviewing Chris Morris - another genius. My life's work is turning people onto Lee, so thank you for taking up the slack. A lovely, humble bloke also.

Blog: Up and Down, We Follow

Stewart Lee on 19:19 - Feb 7 with 1213 viewsDoctor_Earman

You've become a lefty cuck. That's what.
Login to get fewer ads

Stewart Lee on 19:20 - Feb 7 with 1211 viewschicoazul

Stewart Lee on 19:00 - Feb 7 by Jamiebed

Lee is a genius, and avoids chat/quiz shows, unless interviewing Chris Morris - another genius. My life's work is turning people onto Lee, so thank you for taking up the slack. A lovely, humble bloke also.

I think in hindsight it was Chris Morris' writers who were the geniuses.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Stewart Lee on 19:22 - Feb 7 with 1201 viewsjeera

Stewart Lee on 19:19 - Feb 7 by Doctor_Earman

You've become a lefty cuck. That's what.

Lee takes the piss out of everyone tbf.

To claim he's [only] left wouldn't be a true reflection.

And he does go to lengths to distance himself from the character on stage.

As several others do of course. It's an act and that's the point.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Stewart Lee on 19:26 - Feb 7 with 1189 viewsStuartBrett8

I never liked Ricky Gervais, until idiot abroard.... then After Life made me cry my eyes out... David Brent life on the road could've been about loads of gigging muso's I know... and I've completely flipped the guy is a genius.

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Stewart Lee on 20:00 - Feb 7 with 1133 viewsBrixtonBlue

Stewart Lee on 19:26 - Feb 7 by StuartBrett8

I never liked Ricky Gervais, until idiot abroard.... then After Life made me cry my eyes out... David Brent life on the road could've been about loads of gigging muso's I know... and I've completely flipped the guy is a genius.

You should check out Derek as well in that case. No series ever has made me laugh one minute and cry the next apart from that. In fact there's very little in life that brings a tear to my eye. It's quite brilliant (first series especially, when Karl was in it).

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024