Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 13:19 - Feb 7 with 726 viewsmonytowbray

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-mail-shares-plunge-to-new-low-as-group-w

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:08 - Feb 7 with 681 viewsStokieBlue

Royal Mail is a moribund entity in it's current form. Times have changed and people don't communicate in the way they used to and parcel processing has changed massively as well as they point out:

"If it’s to adapt to the changing world it’s vital Royal Mail improves efficiency through automation,"

In fact one could argue that the government made a good decision in privatising Royal Mail - they achieved an IPO price of 330p and the current trading price is about half of that. They got a good return for the tax payer on something that only has a downward trajectory over the mid to long term.

Can you explain why you feel this has was a bad privatisation or is it just a ideological issue? Personally I never understood the Corbyn leaderships obsession with nationalising Royal Mail - it seemed the least good candidate for nationalisation out of all the options.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:25 - Feb 7 with 661 viewsmonytowbray

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:08 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

Royal Mail is a moribund entity in it's current form. Times have changed and people don't communicate in the way they used to and parcel processing has changed massively as well as they point out:

"If it’s to adapt to the changing world it’s vital Royal Mail improves efficiency through automation,"

In fact one could argue that the government made a good decision in privatising Royal Mail - they achieved an IPO price of 330p and the current trading price is about half of that. They got a good return for the tax payer on something that only has a downward trajectory over the mid to long term.

Can you explain why you feel this has was a bad privatisation or is it just a ideological issue? Personally I never understood the Corbyn leaderships obsession with nationalising Royal Mail - it seemed the least good candidate for nationalisation out of all the options.

SB

Postage should be more popular than ever IMO, yet the big boy in the game is dying on its arse and all that will be left are dodgy tax avoiding zero hour contract couriers to sweep up the mess and profit more.

Although I will say, much like the London cab industry vs Uber, they should have got their prices in check long ago.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:29 - Feb 7 with 651 viewslowhouseblue

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:08 - Feb 7 by StokieBlue

SB

the Corbyn leaderships obsession with nationalising Royal Mail = the communication workers union.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:39 - Feb 7 with 637 viewsStokieBlue

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:25 - Feb 7 by monytowbray

Postage should be more popular than ever IMO, yet the big boy in the game is dying on its arse and all that will be left are dodgy tax avoiding zero hour contract couriers to sweep up the mess and profit more.

Although I will say, much like the London cab industry vs Uber, they should have got their prices in check long ago.

Why should it be more popular than ever? It just seems a bit ideological. I agree that some things should be nationalised but I don't think everything should with a broad brush just because it used to be.

I don't remember the last time I sent a letter. Obviously there is still scope for mail but I really can't see any reason why it should be a nationalised service. The huge depression in the share price should be a clear indicated - it's worth half of what it was nationalised for.

Times change, it's the way of the world. Postage is an outdated concept much like land lines for phone. That is why places like Africa are skipping them altogether and going for 4G/5G.

SB
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 14:39]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 17:15 - Feb 7 with 561 viewsTractorWood

Economic uncertainty aka business model best suited to 18 century.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 17:28 - Feb 7 with 546 viewsbrazil1982

I'd like to know the advantages of re-nationalising the Royal Mail.
Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 17:44 - Feb 7 with 530 viewsSwansea_Blue

Privatisation is GREAT pt 313F3921 on 14:25 - Feb 7 by monytowbray

I was thinking exactly this as I read SB’s post. Surely the demand is there for parcel deliveries now everyone shops online. Business must be the best it’s ever been, but is getting mopped up by these shady operators (and ‘proper’ courier firms, of course). I can’t see any scenario where that’s for the greater good.

You can’t really have both though. Either you have a national operator with a monopoly or you let them all fight it out like hyenas around a carcass. I’d perform the former, but it’s too late for that now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024