Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back -some thoughts 20:26 - Feb 8 with 2287 viewsGlasgowBlue

When I saw the Line up I suspected that Lambert had set us up for a draw and I wasn’t expecting much in terms of football.

The first half was one of the best I’ve seen this season. We did everything right except put the ball in the back of the net. Our performance could have only been improved by better crossing and attacking play from KVY/Edwards and Garbutt but the midfield of a Nolan, Skuse and Downes really clicked and we looked solid at the back.

Our determination and desire was typified by Chambers chasing a lost cause by their corner flag, which he had absolutely no chance of keeping in play yet not only did he get the ball but he forced the Sunderland defender to concede a throw in.

I said to Mach at half time that I feared we would rue the lack of an end product but we would win this game if we carried on the second half as we had the first.

Talk about a game of two halves.

We knew Sunderland would have had a rollicking at half time and they couldn’t have played as badly in the second half, but I didn’t believe we could also play the exact opposite in the final 45 as we did in the first.

Gone was the desire. Passes constantly went astray. Long balls to nobody in particular became the norm, we were second to every loose ball and made half hearted challenges as Sunderland players ran past our midfield and defence.

The defence looked in panic and it was real Keystone cops stuff as we couldn’t get the ball out of our own penalty area despite having numerous opportunities to do so. In this period we could have quite easily conceded two or three goals.

When Sunderland did score there was little urgency in our play. Far too many sideways and backwards passes. Nobody driving forwards trying to create an opportunity. We only had ten minutes to get an equaliser but we played like we had another 90.

I really don’t understand how we could be so good in the first half and so bloody awful in the second. It’s as if a lambert had expected a reaction from the home team and told our players to sit deeper and keep hold of the point.

We now need a reaction on a Tuesday night and out in a run if form against the “lesser sides” to get our season back on track.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 20:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just back -some thoughts on 20:34 - Feb 8 with 2169 viewsArnieM

Thank you GlasgowBlue..... are you known as marko69 on another forum by any chance ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Just back -some thoughts on 20:35 - Feb 8 with 2161 viewspeterleeblue

That's pretty much how I saw it.
I see a lot of Sunderland and seen them play a lot better than today
Just back -some thoughts on 20:36 - Feb 8 with 2146 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just back -some thoughts on 20:34 - Feb 8 by ArnieM

Thank you GlasgowBlue..... are you known as marko69 on another forum by any chance ?

Nope. This is the only forum I frequent.

Iron Lion Zion

Just back -some thoughts on 20:36 - Feb 8 with 2145 viewsFixed_It

Cheers.
Although I think I might just log off before Mach posts his thoughts... ;)

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Just back -some thoughts on 21:27 - Feb 8 with 1845 viewsBluefish

Just back -some thoughts on 20:36 - Feb 8 by Fixed_It

Cheers.
Although I think I might just log off before Mach posts his thoughts... ;)

I can give you the short version. It was terrible and Skuse, Chambers and Huws were all a disgrace

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Just back -some thoughts on 22:14 - Feb 8 with 1633 viewsArnieM

Just back -some thoughts on 20:36 - Feb 8 by GlasgowBlue

Nope. This is the only forum I frequent.

Ok , cool 👍😎

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Just back -some thoughts on 22:28 - Feb 8 with 1530 viewsGlasgowBlue

One last thought.

The one consolation of being in this awful league has been visiting small grounds in the north of England which have a bit of character.

The Stadium of Light is a soulless grey place.

Iron Lion Zion

Just back -some thoughts on 22:41 - Feb 8 with 1445 viewshomer_123

Lambert is Hurst V0.2

We play some good stuff in patches. With Hurst it was 15 to 20 mins....with Lambert it's just over twice that.

We have a soft underbelly. Whether it's a hangover of relegation or the way we are setup to play but today illustrates that we have not progressed at all since Hurst and Lambert came in.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Just back -some thoughts on 09:56 - Feb 9 with 966 viewsHerbivore

It's not the first time this has happened either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024