Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts 08:31 - Feb 9 with 8329 viewsMullet

Lots of discussion with Snr, lots of dissection.

Andy Warren's interview with Bart compared to Watson's with Lee O'Neil tells us so much. Both men stopped themselves from saying too much, you could hear them hold back, but every Town fan should listen to them. The self-inflicted damage that got Hurst in was really painful to hear again.

Bart's treatment and how he touches on not being alone within the squad, was widely shared on here at the time and dismissed. Even when it became too loud and from too many places to ignore. Some people clearly still target Chambers and Skuse as they are the last remnants of an era that causes so much embarrassment to them now. But yesterday both did more good than bad even when they are clearly on their last proper seasons. That's very worrying.

Lee O'Neil talks in complete candy floss. It's well presented, but utterly doesn't tell us a single thing. I'm not expecting the minutes of the meetings, but mentioning them and then telling us everything is in hand only makes me think the opposite.

Bart on the other hand clearly shows how hurt he still is, the "you only care about money" gambit by Hurst after only a couple of games is stunning and the toxic culture Evans let sweep through the club is frankly unforgivable.

O'Neil insists Evans offered Mick everything in January 15, Bart suggests the opposite. We have all these great young players but they only exist in theory. How long since we had players like Nydam or Kenlock being blooded? They're now injured alongside so many others or look totally shot and out of contention even at this level.

On the way home the Athletic have a podcast called something like "Going up, going down" they did 5 minutes previewing the game. Listening to it afterwards was painful. They pretty much predicted how the game would go. Pointing out how wasteful we have been with the opportunity to go back up etc.

It feels like the outside world has once again caught on to how bad things are at the club and maybe the fans will be more in line or more receptive to that.

There was a telling comparison with Blackpool who are really struggling under a manager who you'd trust to do better in Grayson. They got the Oystons out, got the fans back and have a saviour like owner in a local boy done good, but it's not working out. They brought in 20 odd players and gone nowhere.

I think we could be in danger of doing similar in the next few years. This league sucks teams in and doesn't let them go easily. Yesterday felt like we have tipped into just not keeping enough pace with the pack to go up, it'll be luck if at all now most likely. Getting Evans out might help, it might even feel good, but it also leaves us open to so many external factors while we lose ground on the rest of the football league all getting richer and further away from us than ever.

Even going up puts us in a position of begging for scraps and hoping to survive with a manager that just can't make the best of what he's got. Bleak to say the least.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 08:41 - Feb 9 with 5156 viewsKeaneish

I've had my differences with you on here over the years mainly during the latter stages of the MM years but i've always been appreciative and acknowledged the clarity and the precision in your sentiment toward our club. This again is another well considered piece which should strike a chord with all.

We're in a dark hole at the moment. There's no doubt the camaraderie MM had with his tight knit team but there's also no doubt that every man has his tipping point and that engineered his downfall.

Completely agree that O'Neill speaks with little substance. I want tangible metrics and targets from him not pithy allusions.

We'll make top 6 and we'll go on a decent run from here on in. The underbelly of our side is a concern though. Yesterday was a carbon copy of the Coventry game or thereabouts and our inability to kill teams is what is going to leave us in this mire come end of season i imagine. I'm now looking at other results and crossing my fingers, which, at this standard, is pitiful.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 10:54 - Feb 9 with 5021 viewsArnieM

I think people CAN see Evans is the problem. But realistically, the questions to be answered are as follow.

1) WHAT can be done about him?
2) WHO would buy a third division Club saddled with £100m of debt?
3) IF Evans decides to pull the plug tomorrow, WHAT HAPPENS TO TOWN?

Answer? We FOLD.

This is why no manager has ever really done anything under the Evans ownership. He either doesn’t want or more likely can’t sell a Club that is to all intents and purposes, imploding, slowing. I fear the worst for this Club now.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 11:15 - Feb 9 with 4966 viewsITFCBlues

The point about Blackpool bringing in 20 odd players is sort of where we could end up.

If we fail to go up, just how big will the rebuild be? You could see 9 or 10 leave and then need replacing. Would be a huge summer

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:24 - Feb 9 with 4963 viewsDyland

I was upset last season. Now I can't care less. The club's gone. Some will say I'm late to this particular party but there we go. As a fairly realistic and cynical type of bod, football and ITFC is a bit of an exception where there's always been illogical optimism and blue tinted glasses. Not any more. I'll still go while there's a chance we can go up and try and get behind this shower of a club (club rather than players per se) but not next season, even if we DO somehow contrive to become a form team in the top half of this fooking division.

Evans is a fooking disaster and no more slack. Nothing to do with the amount of funding and the all too simplistic whinging about transfer fees, and everything to do with his lack of plan, interest and a clue, and his constant sh1t appointments over and over and over again. He's absent, and a total disaster for this proud club. I don't blame Lambert for being poor, but frankly he can do one as well.

Done with it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 11:25 - Feb 9 with 4944 viewsMullet

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 10:54 - Feb 9 by ArnieM

I think people CAN see Evans is the problem. But realistically, the questions to be answered are as follow.

1) WHAT can be done about him?
2) WHO would buy a third division Club saddled with £100m of debt?
3) IF Evans decides to pull the plug tomorrow, WHAT HAPPENS TO TOWN?

Answer? We FOLD.

This is why no manager has ever really done anything under the Evans ownership. He either doesn’t want or more likely can’t sell a Club that is to all intents and purposes, imploding, slowing. I fear the worst for this Club now.

He's definitely had offers and periods of asking too much and trying to offload us.

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:27 - Feb 9 with 4931 viewsMullet

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:24 - Feb 9 by Dyland

I was upset last season. Now I can't care less. The club's gone. Some will say I'm late to this particular party but there we go. As a fairly realistic and cynical type of bod, football and ITFC is a bit of an exception where there's always been illogical optimism and blue tinted glasses. Not any more. I'll still go while there's a chance we can go up and try and get behind this shower of a club (club rather than players per se) but not next season, even if we DO somehow contrive to become a form team in the top half of this fooking division.

Evans is a fooking disaster and no more slack. Nothing to do with the amount of funding and the all too simplistic whinging about transfer fees, and everything to do with his lack of plan, interest and a clue, and his constant sh1t appointments over and over and over again. He's absent, and a total disaster for this proud club. I don't blame Lambert for being poor, but frankly he can do one as well.

Done with it.

That is horrible to read buh. I still can't believe people waved relegation into the club like they did. It's stolen what little we had left.

I hope something makes you reconsider. But I reckon there are thousands of you out there.

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 11:30 - Feb 9 with 4908 viewsBluebell

I think something was brought home to me yesterday about the size of our squad.

Mr Bluebell was in the home end with some Sunderland supporting friends and they were given a complimentary programme (we haven’t bought one for years).

Sunderland’s squad consisted of 25 players.

Town squad consists of 42 players.

Should we really be paying wages for that many? No wonder the wage bill is so high.

I guess releasing Bart and his alleged £20,000 a week has helped but was Lambert offered any of that money in the January window?
It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:30 - Feb 9 with 4902 viewsPecker

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:24 - Feb 9 by Dyland

Done with it.

Understand your sentiment, but I am Ipswich till I die. Yes things have been much better and probably never this bad, but there is always tomorrow. Don't give up on Ipswich, the club doesn't deserve it. Forget owners/managers/players, it is the club that I love. I would still go if we were in the National League or lower. Not trying to be a superfan, just that this club will forever be my club no matter what.
Login to get fewer ads

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 11:32 - Feb 9 with 4894 viewsMullet

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 11:30 - Feb 9 by Bluebell

I think something was brought home to me yesterday about the size of our squad.

Mr Bluebell was in the home end with some Sunderland supporting friends and they were given a complimentary programme (we haven’t bought one for years).

Sunderland’s squad consisted of 25 players.

Town squad consists of 42 players.

Should we really be paying wages for that many? No wonder the wage bill is so high.

I guess releasing Bart and his alleged £20,000 a week has helped but was Lambert offered any of that money in the January window?

We made exactly the same point picking up a programme, they went through the same last year and before but had tens of Barts on their books. Of our 42 a lot are EFL kids or people like Cotter and Roberts who are just leftovers.

It's still damning though given how poor we have been.

Indeed, shameful and weird re relegation on 11:32 - Feb 9 with 4891 viewsDyland

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:27 - Feb 9 by Mullet

That is horrible to read buh. I still can't believe people waved relegation into the club like they did. It's stolen what little we had left.

I hope something makes you reconsider. But I reckon there are thousands of you out there.

I don't think I will while Evans is still here. Not saying anyone else will make us more successful, mind. However I'll always support ITFC in some shape or form... while and if the club exists that is. I guess this is a wider issue with football as well.

Indeed, shameful and weird re relegation on 11:33 - Feb 9 with 4883 viewsMullet

Indeed, shameful and weird re relegation on 11:32 - Feb 9 by Dyland

I don't think I will while Evans is still here. Not saying anyone else will make us more successful, mind. However I'll always support ITFC in some shape or form... while and if the club exists that is. I guess this is a wider issue with football as well.

Come to the northern games!

I agree on 11:33 - Feb 9 with 4881 viewsDyland

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:30 - Feb 9 by Pecker

Understand your sentiment, but I am Ipswich till I die. Yes things have been much better and probably never this bad, but there is always tomorrow. Don't give up on Ipswich, the club doesn't deserve it. Forget owners/managers/players, it is the club that I love. I would still go if we were in the National League or lower. Not trying to be a superfan, just that this club will forever be my club no matter what.

More talking about buying ST and going along to home games.

Indeed, shameful and weird re relegation on 11:34 - Feb 9 with 4868 viewsDyland

Indeed, shameful and weird re relegation on 11:33 - Feb 9 by Mullet

Come to the northern games!

No way, our Northern based supporters are even bigger divs than the ones at home ;)

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 11:37 - Feb 9 with 4847 viewsMrTown

The clubs gone, absolute circus act.

Hurst was right, the players only care about the money.

Crying like a bunch of b*tches because he told them a few home truths, sums them up really.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:39 - Feb 9 with 4835 viewsArnieM

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:30 - Feb 9 by Pecker

I think every fan has his or her breaking point . He’s reached his, and I’m not far behind him tbh . I’ve been going every week since 1969 ( 51 years), and ivd has a bellyful now tbh. It’s the helplessness that breaks you.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 12:14 - Feb 9 with 4716 viewscbower

The way Bart speaks about Mick is incredibly telling. It belies any of the stuff that has appeared on here from time to time that the players en mass wanted Mick out. He speaks with a sort of reverence and clearly cannot understand why Hurst was given transfer cash after the sales of Webster, Waghorn etc whilst in similar circumstances Mick's budget was peanuts.
There are so many Mick haters on here who took offence when he gave them some back it's hard to comprehend and Bart's comments on that show how it affected the players.
Evans' lack of backing for the best manager he has employed remains simply baffling. The lack of recognition from a significant portion of our fan base of Mick's achievements is mystfying. The lowest finish in a million years thing is trotted out despite all other finishes (after the initial miraculous rescue job) being top half pushing for play offs. If by some chance we get promoted this season, we would see that lowest finishing place as some sort of consolidation of championship status wouldn't we?
I'm sure Lee O'Neill is a decent guy but he is simply not worth listening to. His rhetoric of platitudes is so predictable and boring.
Lambert has made an almighty mess of this season. His failure to build any kind of identity in this team is criminal for a manager of his experience and a mammoth let down for an incredibly loyal and tolerant (maybe too much so) fanbase. Yesterday's game of two halves has been a recurrent problem. His half time teamtalks must be abysmal!
[Post edited 9 Feb 2020 12:16]

bluescouser

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 12:17 - Feb 9 with 4693 viewsMrTown

It's bleak to say the least Mullers on 11:39 - Feb 9 by ArnieM

I think every fan has his or her breaking point . He’s reached his, and I’m not far behind him tbh . I’ve been going every week since 1969 ( 51 years), and ivd has a bellyful now tbh. It’s the helplessness that breaks you.

I’m very much in this camp now, I think it’s my 23rd year following Ipswich this year. Highly likely to be my last.

Every fan reaches a point when you think, what is the point, I love the club and always will do, but this is unacceptable to continually spend hard earned money on.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 13:03 - Feb 9 with 4613 viewsBrixtonBlue

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 12:14 - Feb 9 by cbower

The way Bart speaks about Mick is incredibly telling. It belies any of the stuff that has appeared on here from time to time that the players en mass wanted Mick out. He speaks with a sort of reverence and clearly cannot understand why Hurst was given transfer cash after the sales of Webster, Waghorn etc whilst in similar circumstances Mick's budget was peanuts.
There are so many Mick haters on here who took offence when he gave them some back it's hard to comprehend and Bart's comments on that show how it affected the players.
Evans' lack of backing for the best manager he has employed remains simply baffling. The lack of recognition from a significant portion of our fan base of Mick's achievements is mystfying. The lowest finish in a million years thing is trotted out despite all other finishes (after the initial miraculous rescue job) being top half pushing for play offs. If by some chance we get promoted this season, we would see that lowest finishing place as some sort of consolidation of championship status wouldn't we?
I'm sure Lee O'Neill is a decent guy but he is simply not worth listening to. His rhetoric of platitudes is so predictable and boring.
Lambert has made an almighty mess of this season. His failure to build any kind of identity in this team is criminal for a manager of his experience and a mammoth let down for an incredibly loyal and tolerant (maybe too much so) fanbase. Yesterday's game of two halves has been a recurrent problem. His half time teamtalks must be abysmal!

"The lowest finish in a million years thing is trotted out despite all other finishes (after the initial miraculous rescue job) being top half pushing for play offs."

I wouldn't want to diminish Mick's achievements, he's the best manager we've had in a long time, but let's not re-write history either. We scraped into the play-offs once. We didn't remotely look like "pushing for the play offs" at any other time under Mick.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 16:28 - Feb 9 with 4469 viewsMullet

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 12:14 - Feb 9 by cbower

One of the reasons Mick was so good was the fact he could change a game on the fly. When was the last time you remember Lambert doing that more than once?

You will have heard the stuff about the Hull huddle vs Hurst at Exeter, I've had a couple of people repeat rumours about PL's but it'd be unfair to give them the same credence or put them down to more than the results of those games.

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 20:58 - Feb 9 with 4325 viewsDurovigutum

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 13:03 - Feb 9 by BrixtonBlue

"The lowest finish in a million years thing is trotted out despite all other finishes (after the initial miraculous rescue job) being top half pushing for play offs."

I wouldn't want to diminish Mick's achievements, he's the best manager we've had in a long time, but let's not re-write history either. We scraped into the play-offs once. We didn't remotely look like "pushing for the play offs" at any other time under Mick.

Thing is, you could see what was TRYING to do, but he had to do it on the cheap and therefore take chances rather than being able to recruit properly. Bru, Oar, Polish Pete, Banjar - positions he needed and MIGHT have worked, but didn't. He did get the best out of what he had, and some worked like Hunt or Didsy. Just a few more quid....

That said, he wouldn't have kept us up. But Evan's would have flogged us - for better or worse.
Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 21:12 - Feb 9 with 4304 viewspatrickswell

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 13:03 - Feb 9 by BrixtonBlue

This is not correct. We were in contention for the play-offs in 13-14 until we lost our penultimate game of that season. 2015-16 was another season when we were in the mix until we tailed off with all those draws and the Brentford defeat in April 2016. I maintain that had Huws, Bishop, Dozzell, Adeyemi and Carayol been more widely available in 2017-18, we might have made the top 6 too. More than enough amongst them to have turned tight games our way, or converted narrow defeats to draws, but injuries meant they made barely 10 starts between them.
Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 21:14 - Feb 9 with 4292 viewspatrickswell

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 20:58 - Feb 9 by Durovigutum

Thing is, you could see what was TRYING to do, but he had to do it on the cheap and therefore take chances rather than being able to recruit properly. Bru, Oar, Polish Pete, Banjar - positions he needed and MIGHT have worked, but didn't. He did get the best out of what he had, and some worked like Hunt or Didsy. Just a few more quid....

That said, he wouldn't have kept us up. But Evan's would have flogged us - for better or worse.

He would have kept us up, because none of the garbage Hurst signed would have come in under his watch - or if any of them had it would have been as an individual signing rather than en bloc.
Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 07:51 - Feb 10 with 3996 viewsBrixtonBlue

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 21:12 - Feb 9 by patrickswell

This is not correct. We were in contention for the play-offs in 13-14 until we lost our penultimate game of that season. 2015-16 was another season when we were in the mix until we tailed off with all those draws and the Brentford defeat in April 2016. I maintain that had Huws, Bishop, Dozzell, Adeyemi and Carayol been more widely available in 2017-18, we might have made the top 6 too. More than enough amongst them to have turned tight games our way, or converted narrow defeats to draws, but injuries meant they made barely 10 starts between them.

Again, you're re-writing history. If we tailed off then we weren't "pushing for the play-offs" and speculating that we might have been in them had certain players not been injured is ludicrous too.

Be honest. Mick was a good manager, and he was hamstrung financially, but he scraped us into the play-offs once. We didn't look likely to get into them at any other point.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 07:54 - Feb 10 with 3987 viewspatrickswell

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 07:51 - Feb 10 by BrixtonBlue

Again, you're re-writing history. If we tailed off then we weren't "pushing for the play-offs" and speculating that we might have been in them had certain players not been injured is ludicrous too.

Be honest. Mick was a good manager, and he was hamstrung financially, but he scraped us into the play-offs once. We didn't look likely to get into them at any other point.

I’m rewriting nothing. I’m stating what happened and what we were doing in those seasons. I don’t remember anyone saying, “Oh well, season over” as we got into the business end of those seasons.
Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 08:01 - Feb 10 with 3982 viewsBrixtonBlue

Long drive each way allowed for lots of podcasts on 07:54 - Feb 10 by patrickswell

I’m rewriting nothing. I’m stating what happened and what we were doing in those seasons. I don’t remember anyone saying, “Oh well, season over” as we got into the business end of those seasons.

Football supporters in 'having hope' shocker.We got into the play-offs once under Mick - 6th place on goal difference I believe - despite losing and getting into them because other teams fecked up.

The joke was always "15th place is our natural home". To suggest Mick had us regularly pushing for the play-offs is nonsense and rewriting history.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024