Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rome advice. 11:40 - Feb 9 with 1272 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Will be spending 3 nights in the "Eternal City" early March. Mrs P would like to spend some time in The Vatican, would also want to see The Colosseum and Forum.
Is it better to pre-book these places or just rock up on the day?
Any recommendations for tours if needed, would be greatly appreciated.
Flying out on a Tuesday if that helps. Thanks in advance.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Rome advice. on 11:43 - Feb 9 with 1249 viewsMullet

Book a night tour of the Colosseum and surrounding areas is might advice. We started in the evening as the sun was going down and it was brilliant you saw way more without the heat and crowds. But as you're going now it might be easier to manage any time.

Vatican get there early and be prepared for a cattle market of asshole tourists. Even this time of year I'd have thought. I'd pre-book if you're certain when you want to go as it makes the rest of your itinerary easy. Rome is great to walk around.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Rome advice. on 11:45 - Feb 9 with 1246 viewsAce_High1

The only attraction (f you can call it that!) that I would advise to book for is The Vatican.

I walked there from the city early and arrived around 08:30 (from memory). You could easily wander around the external grounds, but the queue to get inside was already very long and growing by the minute. Most people who got in early seemed to have booked.

The Colosseum etc I just turned up and it was not that busy. For reference I visited late April not like you not in peak season.

I hope the weather is better for you, it rained almost all day on my two main days there which was not ideal as I wanted to spend my time wandering around the city.

I did walk (a long walk it was) to The Stadio Olympico but other than wandering around outside, you could not get in for a look.

Lots of great restaurants as well to enjoy!
Rome advice. on 11:45 - Feb 9 with 1246 viewsartsbossbeard

Right, if you want to visit the Vatican then turn up v early in the morning or late in the day. The queues are crazy.

For the Colosseum, see if you can latch on to an English speaking guide - there's quite a few youngsters who earn a few euros by taking people around and want more people with them to make it worth their while. I learnt so much, it actually made the trip.

Don't eat on the main streets, take a wander and eat on any of the side streets. Food is great and less expensive.

Just walk it. Or take the Big Red Bus Tour.

Act like a tourist.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Rome advice. on 11:52 - Feb 9 with 1230 viewsbluefunk

Definitely book ahead for those tours, you will have a long long wait if you don’t. Also, you can see lots of Rome’s sights without the need for an organised tour, just by walking around. Over a couple of days you could easily see the Trevi Fountain (go early), the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navarro, and the Pantheon, Borghese gardens and Piazza Del Poppolo (for example) just by walking around soaking up the atmosphere
Rome advice. on 14:45 - Feb 9 with 1120 viewssoupytwist

When you say ‘The Vatican’’ do you mean the Vatican museums (for the Sistine Chapel etc) and St Peter’s Basilica (which is the massive church on St Peter’s Square)? Pre-book the former or be prepared for a really long queue. Even so, there are so many people in there that it can get a bit frustrating unless you get there really early. I really liked the map room and the tapestry room, Sistine Chapel was rammed.

You can just turn up and join the queue to get into St Peter’s but it will be quite long. We went on a Wednesday which wasn’t a good idea as the pope had been giving an address earlier in the day and there were loads of people about so we gave it a miss.

We also pre-booked the Colesseum which made things easier. We didn’t pre-book the Pantheon (and it’s free to get in) but we did pick up a guide outside who made the whole experience better since we discovered much more than we would have done without one.

We were staying outside Rome and it chucked it down with rain when we went, which made the day somewhat tiring but it’s still pleasant to walk around the centre of the city.
Highly recommend this on 14:49 - Feb 9 with 1108 viewswerringtonblue

https://www.tramjazz.com/en/

Each to their own,, and it really does depend if you like Jazz
Highly recommend this on 19:20 - Feb 9 with 1025 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Highly recommend this on 14:49 - Feb 9 by werringtonblue

https://www.tramjazz.com/en/

Each to their own,, and it really does depend if you like Jazz

thanks all.
Pre booking the Vatican tour.

Tramjazz looks fabulous.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Highly recommend this on 19:30 - Feb 9 with 1016 viewsfooters

Highly recommend this on 19:20 - Feb 9 by StochesStotasBlewe

thanks all.
Pre booking the Vatican tour.

Tramjazz looks fabulous.

For brownie points, tell the Romans how much you loved Napoli but hate the Neapolitan people and how you're praying for another eruption.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Highly recommend this on 19:45 - Feb 9 with 990 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Highly recommend this on 19:30 - Feb 9 by footers

For brownie points, tell the Romans how much you loved Napoli but hate the Neapolitan people and how you're praying for another eruption.

Will we get a discount in Giovannis Trattoria dear chap for mentioning that, what with me being as tight as a nuns chuff

Rome advice. on 09:24 - Feb 10 with 850 viewsGeoffSentence

If a gladiator approaches you at the Coliseum and suggests that you have a photo taken, tell him to bvgger off.

If you are overlooking the Forums just before sunset you may get to see Starlings murmurating, and that is a pretty cool place to watch a murmaration of Starlings.

Check the price of ice cream carefully before you buy.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024