Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Freddie upfront 12:19 - Feb 10 with 3806 viewsbazgammon

I know he has a lot of critics on here, but surely our only proven championship striker Freddie Sears needs a run up front now. He's been hardly involved since his been back in contention and playing him wide is a waste of time and the reason he's goal ratio hasn't been as high as if should have been even allowing for injuries. I think he and Norwood could work well together. Jackson is a one trick pony imo relying solely on pace and I don't see Keane as the big target man we really need although he has been better until the last 3 games. Ideally with Bishop in the No:10 role if he can stay fit that is to provide the bullets. Goals win games and unless the strikers start firing in next dozen-fifteen games then we will be in the 3rd tier next year. Freddie needs to start!

Poll: Lambert

Freddie upfront on 12:22 - Feb 10 with 3333 viewsPecker

Agree, but after Saturday, I would probably start with Jackson and Sears.
Freddie upfront on 12:32 - Feb 10 with 3284 viewsTown_Boy

He’s not match fit to start yet. Sub at 75 player

At the end of the day... It is night
Poll: What stand will you be renewing with the new prices

Freddie upfront on 12:34 - Feb 10 with 3269 viewsMrTown

Norwood & Sears

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Freddie upfront on 12:40 - Feb 10 with 3231 viewsStokieBlue

Freddie upfront on 12:34 - Feb 10 by MrTown

Norwood & Sears

Still don't see the logical argument for not playing Jackson.

Norwood has had chances, he's scored goals but is nearly as wasteful as Jackson. On top of that he provides little in the way of assists.

What is the rationale?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Freddie upfront on 12:41 - Feb 10 with 3225 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

100%, throw him in!

Class in this league, and proven.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Freddie upfront on 12:42 - Feb 10 with 3214 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Freddie upfront on 12:32 - Feb 10 by Town_Boy

He’s not match fit to start yet. Sub at 75 player

Hes been in and around the squad for 2 months now, and played on boxing day.

Now is the time.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Freddie upfront on 13:07 - Feb 10 with 3109 viewsskyblue23

Freddie upfront on 12:40 - Feb 10 by StokieBlue

Still don't see the logical argument for not playing Jackson.

Norwood has had chances, he's scored goals but is nearly as wasteful as Jackson. On top of that he provides little in the way of assists.

What is the rationale?

SB

My personal argument for not playing Jackson is he is continuously offside, he blames everybody but himself when the move breaks down and start throwing his arms around and other than his pace he really doesn't bring all that much to the table. He has glimpses of doing bits occasionally but not nearly enough.

Sears is proven and now needs that run until the end of the season. Norwood is proven to score at a lower level and was doing it in preseason/start of the season, he was also linking the play in build ups really well at the start of the season but the ball seems to bypass him more often than not now, get his confidence back and we could have very good goal scorers.

That's my opinion anyway.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Freddie upfront on 13:08 - Feb 10 with 3107 viewsParky

Freddie upfront on 12:41 - Feb 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

100%, throw him in!

Class in this league, and proven.

I really don't understand this hype around Sears. Yes, he's an alright player and I understand he's played on the wing however the bloke has never scored more than 10 goals a season for us so why is he going to become our saviour now?

League games played for Ipswich - 173
Goals scored - 30 (9 of which came 6 years ago).

IMVHO bang average player at best, who is nowhere near ready following his injury either.
Login to get fewer ads

Freddie upfront on 13:11 - Feb 10 with 3081 viewsIpswichKnight

Freddie upfront on 13:08 - Feb 10 by Parky

I really don't understand this hype around Sears. Yes, he's an alright player and I understand he's played on the wing however the bloke has never scored more than 10 goals a season for us so why is he going to become our saviour now?

IMVHO bang average player at best, who is nowhere near ready following his injury either.

Agree on that, we don't have anyone who can score 20+ goals in the club we need to make that a priority number 1 for next season. Feck knows where we will find one considering our scouts seem to have never managed to find one yet!
Freddie upfront on 13:17 - Feb 10 with 3053 viewsParky

Freddie upfront on 13:11 - Feb 10 by IpswichKnight

Agree on that, we don't have anyone who can score 20+ goals in the club we need to make that a priority number 1 for next season. Feck knows where we will find one considering our scouts seem to have never managed to find one yet!

Norwood looked more than capable of being our 20+ goalscorer at the front-end of the season, now he looks like he can't hit a barn door.

The importance of player confidence and momentum is something we haven't mustered yet either. Looking at Portsmouth remarkable run at the moment of 9 wins on the bounce, 2 losses in 24.
Freddie upfront on 13:20 - Feb 10 with 3033 viewsbazgammon

Because the other combos are not working, we need goals and whether you like him or not Sears has scored goals at a higher level than Div 2. Its a no brainer, we are desperate for goals and right now logically he is our best hope.

Poll: Lambert

Freddie upfront on 13:23 - Feb 10 with 3020 viewsStokieBlue

Freddie upfront on 13:07 - Feb 10 by skyblue23

My personal argument for not playing Jackson is he is continuously offside, he blames everybody but himself when the move breaks down and start throwing his arms around and other than his pace he really doesn't bring all that much to the table. He has glimpses of doing bits occasionally but not nearly enough.

Sears is proven and now needs that run until the end of the season. Norwood is proven to score at a lower level and was doing it in preseason/start of the season, he was also linking the play in build ups really well at the start of the season but the ball seems to bypass him more often than not now, get his confidence back and we could have very good goal scorers.

That's my opinion anyway.

"really doesn't bring all that much to the table"

That's clearly untrue though. If we take an unusual approach and use facts for instance, then he is our second highest scorer and easily our highest assister.

Norwood, "the proven scorer" has exactly 2 more goals than Jackson. How many of Norwood's goals were assisted by Jackson?

It's absolutely fine to have a preference. I'd prefer you based it on something though rather than saying he doesn't bring much to the table. He's much maligned via some pretty dubious reasoning. He's not perfect but none of our strikers are. The only combination which has worked this season on any regular basis is Norwood and Jackson so I am not sure why many people don't seem to want to play it.

SB
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 13:24]

Freddie upfront on 13:29 - Feb 10 with 2990 viewsGarv

Freddie upfront on 13:23 - Feb 10 by StokieBlue

That's clearly untrue though. If we take an unusual approach and use facts for instance, then he is our second highest scorer and easily our highest assister.

Norwood, "the proven scorer" has exactly 2 more goals than Jackson. How many of Norwood's goals were assisted by Jackson?

It's absolutely fine to have a preference. I'd prefer you based it on something though rather than saying he doesn't bring much to the table. He's much maligned via some pretty dubious reasoning. He's not perfect but none of our strikers are. The only combination which has worked this season on any regular basis is Norwood and Jackson so I am not sure why many people don't seem to want to play it.

SB

Are you accounting for the goals scored by Jackson, assisted by Norwood?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Any player that has either..... on 13:30 - Feb 10 with 2984 viewsBloots

....been injured or is just dropped, immediately becomes better and better the longer they are out.

Fact.

Or it could be that fans just forget how rubbish they were before, and only realise when they got back onto the pitch.

I call it "The Danny Haynes Effect".

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Freddie upfront on 13:31 - Feb 10 with 2975 viewsParky

Freddie upfront on 13:20 - Feb 10 by bazgammon

Because the other combos are not working, we need goals and whether you like him or not Sears has scored goals at a higher level than Div 2. Its a no brainer, we are desperate for goals and right now logically he is our best hope.

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

"Sears has scored goals at a higher level than Div 2." - I don't really see what relevance this has when he's scored 21 goals in 5 years.

For the record, I'm not saying "I don't like him" or not to give him a chance; however, his statistics show he isn't going to be the goalscorer we need or what some of our fans think he is.
Freddie upfront on 13:31 - Feb 10 with 2974 viewsStokieBlue

Freddie upfront on 13:29 - Feb 10 by Garv

Are you accounting for the goals scored by Jackson, assisted by Norwood?

Of which there can be a maximum of 2 because Norwood has only assisted 2 all season.

You've missed the point of the post or you haven't read it properly. Jackson has provided the most assists out of anyone this season whilst also nearly scoring as many goals as Norwood and not being on penalties.

Given this he seems to very unfairly treated by some on here compared to our other 3 forwards.

SB
[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 13:33]

Any player that has either..... on 13:33 - Feb 10 with 2954 viewsParky

Any player that has either..... on 13:30 - Feb 10 by Bloots

....been injured or is just dropped, immediately becomes better and better the longer they are out.

Fact.

Or it could be that fans just forget how rubbish they were before, and only realise when they got back onto the pitch.

I call it "The Danny Haynes Effect".

"He can be like a new signing for us".
Ha! Yes, just like a new signing..... on 13:34 - Feb 10 with 2947 viewsBloots

Any player that has either..... on 13:33 - Feb 10 by Parky

"He can be like a new signing for us".

.....crap (and injured)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Freddie upfront on 13:38 - Feb 10 with 2916 viewsgordon

At the moment we struggle desperately to put the ball in the net, particularly against decent teams. I'd be picking the two strikers most likely to get into scoring positions and put away a chance - for me that's Sears and Norwood.

I know Norwood's finishing is a bit ropey but his movement is easily the best out of any of our forwards.

EDIT: I do agree with the above that Jackson gets a bit of a rough deal though. The one I don't understand is Will Keane, for he's pretty average, he likes to drop deeper into non-threatening positions to play a nice lay-off now and then, but he never looks like much of a goal threat.

[Post edited 10 Feb 2020 13:43]
Freddie upfront on 13:59 - Feb 10 with 2863 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Watch and you will see.

If played in his correct position he will score goals.

Freddie upfront on 14:07 - Feb 10 with 2829 viewsNotSure

I'd also give Ben Morris a run out.
Our current "first 3" strikers just aren't scoring enough.
Freddie upfront on 14:16 - Feb 10 with 2810 viewsjayessess

There's been no indication from his cameos thus far that he'll be any more of a goal threat in L1 than he was in the Championship from 2015 to 2019.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Freddie upfront on 14:19 - Feb 10 with 2795 viewsskyblue23

Freddie upfront on 13:23 - Feb 10 by StokieBlue

SB

I understand you point of view and I'm not disputing that the facts show he has more assist than Norwood and 2 goals less.

However in my opinion from watching Jackson, he may pop up with a goal or an assist but what we saw at the start of the season from him is long gone as is Norwoods form. What I also believe is Jackson at the start of the season is the highest point we will see from him, where as Norwood I believe we are yet to see his best.

It's all based on opinion, yours is different to mine. I would choose Norwood over Jackson any day of the week. Yes the stats show Jackson has a few assists and goals from earlier in the season, but his all round play is sloppy. League 1 is both there levels.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Freddie upfront on 14:31 - Feb 10 with 2758 viewsStokieBlue

Freddie upfront on 14:19 - Feb 10 by skyblue23

I understand you point of view and I'm not disputing that the facts show he has more assist than Norwood and 2 goals less.

However in my opinion from watching Jackson, he may pop up with a goal or an assist but what we saw at the start of the season from him is long gone as is Norwoods form. What I also believe is Jackson at the start of the season is the highest point we will see from him, where as Norwood I believe we are yet to see his best.

It's all based on opinion, yours is different to mine. I would choose Norwood over Jackson any day of the week. Yes the stats show Jackson has a few assists and goals from earlier in the season, but his all round play is sloppy. League 1 is both there levels.

Jackson has scored 2 goals in the last 7 games.
Norwood has scored 2 goals in the last 7 games (1 was a penalty)

So your "earlier in the season" point isn't true. The statistical evidence is fairly clear in my opinion.

As you say though, it's a game of opinions and you are certainly entitled to yours - it be correct over the longer term.

SB

Freddie upfront on 14:33 - Feb 10 with 2748 viewsPositivelyPortman

Freddie upfront on 13:11 - Feb 10 by IpswichKnight

The scouts find the 20 goals a season players, but they decide to go elsewhere.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024