Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? 13:13 - Feb 11 with 2428 viewsskinnybob72

I'm sure this will have been covered before but why do fans, who are not based in / from Suffolk, support ITFC?

I live just outside Edinburgh but my son - who is 7 - decided a couple of years ago as he got into football that Ipswich was his team. It may have stemmed from me taking him to see the ground that summer as we were in Ipswich - but he had also seen several other grounds that summer, many much closer to home.

Anyway, he's now hooked! Has home and away kits, knows who all the players are, and we have made it to a few games a bit closer to home, namely Bolton, Accrington & Sunderland this season - and have tickets for Blackpool. Will make it to PR for the Bolton game.

But for others on here with a love of ITFC who are from far flung places, why do you have that affinity? What made you choose Ipswich?

While I have been to several games now - originally as an interested neutral - I now find myself desperately wanting the team to win, and get p155ed off when they get beaten!

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 13:35 - Feb 11 with 2358 viewsOsborneOneNil

I'm Dorset based, have been since 1987, but was born in Essex living Witham until I was 13. Half the town were Ipswich, the other various London sides (mainly West Ham). My Uncle was Town and bought me the kit etc, so that was that. Went to first game 1981 where we beat Spurs 3-0.

It's been pretty much downhill since 82!

My 3 lads all support Town.....I genuinely feel for them right now, they've only known recent times, last 8 years. Tbh it wouldn't bother me one bit if they became Soton fans.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 13:41 - Feb 11 with 2340 viewsIpswichChris

I haven't lived in Ipswich since 1987 when I was just 2 years old. I was born there, as was my mother. I have been back since of course - most recently I took my wife, daughter, and wife's mother to England last summer.

It never occured to me to support anyone else. I had Town shirts as a kid as once I was old enough to take interest in sports I naturally gravitated towards Ipswich and quickly fell in love - desipte the fact I have never really seen any incredible periods of success.

ITID. My 5 year old daughter is a tractor girl, as well.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 13:42 - Feb 11 with 2327 viewsOxford_Blue

Born and brought up in Ipswich. Dad took me from when I was a small boy. I dabbled with Man Utd as a second team in the late 80s (ironically before they started winning stuff) but that didn’t last. Ipswich have always been my team and always will be.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 13:43 - Feb 11 with 2321 viewsfooters

I'm based in the UAE and am following Ipswich Town as a possible speculative venture in the very near future.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:11 - Feb 11 with 2262 viewsUB9Blue

My Dad took me to watch Town (and Witches speedway) when we were on holiday in Suffolk. I was seven at the time and from a family of QPR supporters. Ever since that first game where we beat Wolves 2-1 and Colin Viljoen got sent off I was hooked.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:13 - Feb 11 with 2252 viewsRobTheMonk

Oxford based. Picked them randomly as a kid. Martijn Reuser may have had somethng to do with it.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:39 - Feb 11 with 2207 viewsWeWereZombies

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 13:43 - Feb 11 by footers

I'm based in the UAE and am following Ipswich Town as a possible speculative venture in the very near future.

I suspect that on the Lambert In or Lambert Out question you are Sheikh It All About...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:49 - Feb 11 with 2186 viewsIpswichKnight

Never lived in Suffolk, was born on the army base in Colchester though. Guess I picked up my town habbit from my Dad he used to go home and away in the early 70's when he and Mum lived in colchester and took me to my first games in the early 80's and i've been hooked on them since. It is I guess a bit like chasing the Dragon watching us the highs when they come are utterly unforgettable but the lows and it has most been lows are horrific!
Login to get fewer ads

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:53 - Feb 11 with 2172 viewsSwansea_Blue

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:39 - Feb 11 by WeWereZombies

I suspect that on the Lambert In or Lambert Out question you are Sheikh It All About...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:57 - Feb 11 with 2149 viewsWeWereZombies

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 14:53 - Feb 11 by Swansea_Blue

You won't be so glib when the first thing he gets Lambert to do is sell Emir Huws...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 15:12 - Feb 11 with 2134 viewsChurchman

Though I’ve never lived in the Ipswich area, my dad did (and still does) and his father/ancestors before him. I was taken to my first game at the age of 8 and that was that. It’s a family thing. My mum came from Norfolk, but there was never a chance of me being allowed support that mob, even if I’d been insane enough to want to.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 17:02 - Feb 11 with 2019 viewsstevec7

I live in Penzance Cornwall and when I was i10/11 years old in 1974/75 I decided to support Ipswich as my 3 brothers all supported Man United and I did not want to be the same as them. Watched Match of the day and decided Ipswich was my new team. I regularly go to games home and away every season and there are many fans in Penzance and the West Cornwall area. I have filled up 50 seater coaches many times with Cornwall supporters of Ipswich when we have played away to Plymouth Argyle!
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 17:05 - Feb 11 with 2014 viewsIllinoisblue

Love never dies. But it does get harder.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 17:08 - Feb 11 with 2007 viewsDistantBlue

I lived in Ipswich for three years as a child and that was enough to get me hooked. That was between 1976 and 1979. Like others I suffer terribly from this feeling that was developed in that period that it is totally normal to expect town to be challenging for the top of the Premier League, playing in Europe and occasionally winning the FA Cup.
Such is life.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 17:22 - Feb 11 with 1965 viewsWestover

I was born in Colchester but as my uncle played for Ipswich it was a no brainer, but I've not been to Ipswich for many years as I did live in Ireland but I'm now living in Portugal.😎.
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 17:33 - Feb 11 with 1940 viewsCanadafan

Born and raised in Canada but both parents were born and raised in Ipswich. Starting following ITFC in 1981 after my uncle sent me a UEFA Cup magazine/programme. At that time all I could get was the score a day or two after each game in the Toronto Star newspaper. All but my immediate family live in Ipswich area now so I can combine a visit with them and a game or two at Portman Road. The North American Supporters group used to hold an annual "general meeting" in Las Vegas where we would listen to a game live sitting in a bar or hotel lobby at 6-7 AM. As bad as things are with ITFC now I won't stop supporting them and look forward to the next game I can attend in person. COYB!
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 17:39 - Feb 11 with 1928 viewsBlueAllOver

Growing up in the North in 70s my brother was a Liverpool fan and Ipswich were about the best alternative at the time, first game about age 11. Blackburn away 0-0.

In the late 90s was traveling to most home games from Leeds, so I decided to look for a job down in the area.

Home and Away season ticket when we were in premier, my son was born in Ipswich, moved back oop north not too long after, but still try to get down once a season to Portman Road and take in as many of the Northern away games as can,

Feel sorry as another poster said for our younger fans as they have never experienced the highs of following us, here's hoping for better times ahead but can't see it with current manager,
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 18:48 - Feb 11 with 1855 viewsCheshire_Tractor

Born and brought up in Cheshire. At school it was Crewe, Stoke, Man City, Man Utd or Liverpool. I never went games so only saw football on MotD and fell for Bobby Robson's Ipswich.

When I was old enough I went to local away games then would make the long trip to home games.

After Uni got a job in Essex so I could go more games. Then I bought a flat in Ipswich and then a house.

If I told the 8 year old me that one day he'd be able to walk to home games he'd have been so happy.

I probably wouldn't break it to him that we are in the third division.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2020 18:49]
Far away fans - why do you follow ITFC? on 18:49 - Feb 11 with 1852 viewskeighleyblue

Grandad lived in Kesgrave although I'm from Kent. Boxing Day 1975 was my first game at Portman Road vs Luton, my dad took me, we were top of Div 1 and Luton bottom. We managed to lose 1-0.

Kind of set the tone really for what's happened in the last 20 or so years, but i was hooked, ITFC for life.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024