Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Formation / Tactics - wrong again 22:00 - Feb 11 with 1241 viewsDennyx4

Why play two defenders as wing-backs, when you know it is a game you need to win. I can understand the formation if we have Garbutt, KVY or Edwards available, but not with Earl, Donacien or Kenlock as the two.

This game cried out for 4 at the back, and why we didnt swap to that I dont know.

Also, If you are going to play three at the back you don't need Skuse as well.

We started the game hoping for Norwood or Jackson to score.

If I can see this, why can't Lambert and the coaching team.

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:01 - Feb 11 with 1220 viewssparks

I can understand maintaining the formation.

But when you are stuck with defensive wingbacks- you dont play a defensive midfielder against a team with no ambition at all.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:04 - Feb 11 with 1180 viewsitfcjoe

It was basically 7 defensive players, mental set up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:06 - Feb 11 with 1155 viewsbackwaywhen

The answer is simple Lambert is a very very very poor football manager ... mouth piece yes tactician No .
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:09 - Feb 11 with 1131 viewsRomeo4

I agree with the OP completely. What makes it worse is that the game was there for the taking tonight against a poor team not offering any threat, and still we don’t change it.
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:10 - Feb 11 with 1122 viewsDennyx4

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:01 - Feb 11 by sparks

I can understand maintaining the formation.

But when you are stuck with defensive wingbacks- you dont play a defensive midfielder against a team with no ambition at all.

Fair enough to start that way, if you want a bit of continuity, but why not change at half time - our back three had very little to do, could easily have taken Wilson off for Keane or Dozzell,
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:11 - Feb 11 with 1109 viewsDennyx4

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:09 - Feb 11 by Romeo4

I agree with the OP completely. What makes it worse is that the game was there for the taking tonight against a poor team not offering any threat, and still we don’t change it.

That was the real worry. why not change it at half time?
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:12 - Feb 11 with 1083 viewsStNeotsBlue

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:04 - Feb 11 by itfcjoe

It was basically 7 defensive players, mental set up

We've been like that for years, the balance of the team hasn't been right for a while. Under MMc we had the odd bit of class from loan players such as Lawrence but we are always seem to be on the back foot before a ball is kicked.
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:13 - Feb 11 with 1071 viewsNazemariner

Absolute madness from Lambert. Should gone with 4 at the back as you say, with more width in attack.
Login to get fewer ads

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:16 - Feb 11 with 1042 viewssparks

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:13 - Feb 11 by Nazemariner

Absolute madness from Lambert. Should gone with 4 at the back as you say, with more width in attack.

Could easily have stayed with the formation- but changed the midfield. Skuse and Huws off. Dozzell on in Skuses place- and a n other to attack from the middle. Whether sears, el miz, dobra etc.

Its pathetic. No change until 70 minutes.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:24 - Feb 11 with 1006 viewsHARRY10

I can't see what a formation has much to do with it - given that players are all over the pitch at any given time.

Static arrangements or designated places might be ok for cricket but have little bearing on this game.

We have a team that seems to be 'shot shy' as the impetus seems to be on not giving the ball away. Once again we have seen that we do not have a player or two who can do something more than pass to the next nearest player.

It is not the lack of a 'formation', they just do not have the ability to put the ball where it is needed.

There is a good reason why we are where we are. Not because we don't have a manager who can place the players in some sort of 'battleships arrangement - but because we don't have enough players who are good enough to win games at this level.

It really is as simple as that.
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:36 - Feb 11 with 960 viewsBlueAllOver

5 at the back
3 defensive minded midfielders
Sears at left wing back
Totally clueless, yet more blame Evans than him
Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:42 - Feb 11 with 925 viewssparks

Formation / Tactics - wrong again on 22:24 - Feb 11 by HARRY10

I can't see what a formation has much to do with it - given that players are all over the pitch at any given time.

Static arrangements or designated places might be ok for cricket but have little bearing on this game.

We have a team that seems to be 'shot shy' as the impetus seems to be on not giving the ball away. Once again we have seen that we do not have a player or two who can do something more than pass to the next nearest player.

It is not the lack of a 'formation', they just do not have the ability to put the ball where it is needed.

There is a good reason why we are where we are. Not because we don't have a manager who can place the players in some sort of 'battleships arrangement - but because we don't have enough players who are good enough to win games at this level.

It really is as simple as that.

I think that is nonsense.

A team that can dominate possession and keep the opposition comfortably at bay is a decent foundation. You then need to work out how to create- make overloads in key areas, move the ball quickly to make space, have individuals who can beat players with pace or skill to open things up. Those are not options that were explored with tonights selection and formation- and could have been.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024