Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So sad. 23:39 - Feb 11 with 1363 viewsTheBoyBlue

My eldest is thirteen and really getting into going to the football. Even though the atmosphere is nothing like many of us remember it, he loves that he can so somewhere and shout and sing and basically act in a way that he’s not allowed to anywhere else.

We took my middle son to his first match when we played Blackpool and he ended up loving it and he wants to go again. We’ve got Bolton on his sixth birthday pencilled in (his only really gripe was how cold it was when we went in November, so we’re waiting until its hopefully warmer!) as his next game.

Their younger brother is not yet four but is kicking a football around.

I want them to grow up and make happy memories of watching Ipswich Town play and yet I’m torn as I really don’t want anything more to do with this club whilst those in charge rip its soul out. I’m too young to remember the glory days of Sir Booby, but my late uncle who took my brother and me to our first games when we were young went from when he was a little boy when the team first got promoted to the Football League and told so many exciting tales of those days and when Sir Alf was in charge. I still got to see promotion under John Lyall in my early seasons of going along, enjoyed that first spell in the Premier League, the days of Burley, especially that day at Wembley though. I want that for my boys and even hoped that they might get a little bit of that this season with promotion. But I fear that they will never experience that joy or that by the time such joy comes round to us again they will have lost interest, never getting that hook so many of us were lucky enough to have to keep us interested. I’m only 41, but I sometimes wonder if I will ever get that joy with ITFC again.

We are just in footballing black hole, where the joy and hope has been completely and utterly sucked out.

I despise what Marcus Evans has done to this club. Yes he may have kept us afloat, but I’m beginning to wonder what for. If we’re just going to limp on like this, slowly dying as a football club, then he might as well not have bothered.

I really hope this is an overreaction to a tedious 0-0 draw, but in the context of what has gone before, it seems to confirm that we’re going nowhere this season. If we’re still in League One at the end of May, we’re here — or even lower — for years to come. Ipswich Town — and the joys it could’ve given — will be lost to a generation and a generation will be lost to Ipswich Town. I fear where that will lead us.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

So sad. on 23:44 - Feb 11 with 1311 viewshamburger_sv

Take them to the Ipswich Town FC Women games. First in the league.

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

So sad. on 23:46 - Feb 11 with 1297 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

So sad. on 23:47 - Feb 11 with 1286 viewsTheBoyBlue

So sad. on 23:44 - Feb 11 by hamburger_sv

Take them to the Ipswich Town FC Women games. First in the league.

You know what, I'm seriously tempted. I never thought I would take women's football seriously, but they remind me a little of what the men's team used to be. Full of joy, winning with style and a smile. It certainly seems better than subjecting the poor children to this shower of s%*t.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

So sad. on 00:16 - Feb 12 with 1216 viewsjudespiveyg

If it's any comfort this January marked ten years since my first game (and purchase of a season ticket) and I can safely say I've loved it, plenty of happy memories and even the frustrating ones (and there's plenty of them) are kind of funny in hindsight. If they like watching football they'll enjoy supporting Ipswich, regardless of the somewhat dissapointing results.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

So sad. on 00:19 - Feb 12 with 1212 viewshenley07

So sad. on 23:47 - Feb 11 by TheBoyBlue

You know what, I'm seriously tempted. I never thought I would take women's football seriously, but they remind me a little of what the men's team used to be. Full of joy, winning with style and a smile. It certainly seems better than subjecting the poor children to this shower of s%*t.

My boys 12 and I’m in the same position,I sometimes feel guilty I’ve had the good times and he’s left with.....well this!
Thankfully he plays and quite frankly I get more enjoyment from there games nowadays than I do from Town
So sad. on 07:30 - Feb 12 with 936 viewsartsbossbeard

This is best read with the "our tunes" music from Simon Bates Radio 1 heyday played in the background.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

So sad. on 08:01 - Feb 12 with 868 viewsLRB84UK

So sad. on 00:19 - Feb 12 by henley07

My boys 12 and I’m in the same position,I sometimes feel guilty I’ve had the good times and he’s left with.....well this!
Thankfully he plays and quite frankly I get more enjoyment from there games nowadays than I do from Town

Same here.
We are a massive Ipswich family, mum was stuck in germany for several years and used to come home on the boat for day trips when ipswich played london games and has just done her 1000th consecutive game!

I used to go because it was easier than finding me a babysitter and gradually I grew to love it, I was the only girl in school who had a season ticket. I'm 36 and I've had some good times but I've seen some absolute dross too!

My son is now 9, hes been a few times in the past and not enjoyed it. I tried again this year and he fell in love with the game, he now has a season ticket and we've done his 1st away game.

He had the chance to go bowling with Cubs on saturday and he chose that over football, that makes me sad, I've seen some really bad football over the years and I was so full of hope that this year was THE year and all things would be good.

Theres a group of men who sit near us at home games and they shout, swear and hurtle abuse all game long, so much so that my boy got a bit teary at the last game. They bring down the atmosphere of everyone around us and literally spoil every game, win or lose. He wanted to go home last game just because of these men.

I want him to be a town fan (hubby is chelsea) I want him to enjoy it like I always have, it's where all my friends are, it's my social life, it's our families way of life. But it's getting harder and harder to encourage the youngsters, the atmosphere as soon as we start losing turns toxic, the players heads drop and the losses pile in. I can almost forgive the relegation from the premiership, I can blot out last season but this at the moment is too much to take. 30 years of being a season ticket holder and I'm beginning to struggle, goodness knows how I keep him interested.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024