Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans 11:18 - Feb 12 with 1894 viewsBluefish

He has 2 main roles

1 to bankroll this club and keep it afloat
2 to hire managers

1 there is no doubt that he has kept us going. He gave vast sums to Magilton and keane, huge at the time for the level. He bankrolled Jewell with his odd strategy and he has backed both Hurst and Lambert. It would have been the obvious move to slash costs this season and sell who we could but he retained the squad including judge and since then Downes and Woolf

2 in hindsight the appointments are terrible but when you look closer they were largely supported. The fans wanted Jim gone and he did so, he brought in Keane and this was widely widely supported. Jewell was a but meh but some logic there somewhere. Mick was an absolute success and then Hurst was absolutely the type of appointment we wanted. Since then Lambert has been celebrated as the best man for it.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Marcus Evans on 11:23 - Feb 12 with 1856 viewshaynes_toe1

No complaints with 1, but 2 - he just hasn't learnt. If he just does what the fans reckon they want at any point in time then he's even more dense than I give him credit for.

Also, the 5 year contract..
Marcus Evans on 11:28 - Feb 12 with 1835 viewskizaitfc

Backed Hurst and Lambert???

What has our net spend on transfers been over the past 2 years please?

Don't think he has contributed any more to PH ad PL than he did MM

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Marcus Evans on 11:48 - Feb 12 with 1784 viewsskyblue23

Marcus Evans on 11:28 - Feb 12 by kizaitfc

Backed Hurst and Lambert???

What has our net spend on transfers been over the past 2 years please?

Don't think he has contributed any more to PH ad PL than he did MM

Especially when Hurst sold our best players. We did you some of the money but nowhere near the amount brought in.

Poll: Paul Lambert moves on, would you be happy if Jim Magilton was given another go?

Marcus Evans on 11:58 - Feb 12 with 1753 viewsoneoffposter

Marcus Evans on 11:48 - Feb 12 by skyblue23

Especially when Hurst sold our best players. We did you some of the money but nowhere near the amount brought in.

You think Hurst having been in the job 2 minutes and not having seen them play was responsible for selling these players? Evans has always had final say on transfers, I sincerely doubt he even asked for a opinion on players Hurst didn’t even know
Marcus Evans on 12:13 - Feb 12 with 1721 viewskizaitfc

Marcus Evans on 11:58 - Feb 12 by oneoffposter

You think Hurst having been in the job 2 minutes and not having seen them play was responsible for selling these players? Evans has always had final say on transfers, I sincerely doubt he even asked for a opinion on players Hurst didn’t even know

Agreed, I think Hurst got too much stick for the sale of our best players. Evans sold them off far too quickly and far too cheaply, it showed we had no ambition and I think was a key factor in some of the older players not being motivated and obviously Waghorn leaving.

Evans had the master plan, rebuild the team with young and exciting players, I'm not sure it was all Hurst's idea.

McGoldrick was probably Hurst's worst decision however as we have previously said on here most agreed with the decision at the time.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Marcus Evans on 12:31 - Feb 12 with 1689 viewsPecker

Is it just Evans that makes the appointments? I am sure he has the final say, but surely he is advised by those in the know about who would be the best option.
Marcus Evans on 12:35 - Feb 12 with 1673 viewskizaitfc

Marcus Evans on 12:31 - Feb 12 by Pecker

Is it just Evans that makes the appointments? I am sure he has the final say, but surely he is advised by those in the know about who would be the best option.

Guess who employs those people too???

Marcus Evans on 12:37 - Feb 12 with 1667 viewsPecker

Marcus Evans on 12:35 - Feb 12 by kizaitfc

Guess who employs those people too???

So perhaps that is the problem? Evans puts to much faith in those who are suppose to know about these things. He needs to talk to Butch.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans on 12:50 - Feb 12 with 1639 viewsoneoffposter

Marcus Evans on 12:13 - Feb 12 by kizaitfc

Agreed, I think Hurst got too much stick for the sale of our best players. Evans sold them off far too quickly and far too cheaply, it showed we had no ambition and I think was a key factor in some of the older players not being motivated and obviously Waghorn leaving.

Evans had the master plan, rebuild the team with young and exciting players, I'm not sure it was all Hurst's idea.

McGoldrick was probably Hurst's worst decision however as we have previously said on here most agreed with the decision at the time.

Yeah with hindsight on Dizzy it doesn’t look great but remember he was on 20k plus a week here so a parting of ways was probably inevitable for everyone certainly rejuvenated him anyway

Evans selling those players made Hursts job much tougher, some of the sales made no sense Webster being a prime example,

Just found this quote from Evans when that sale happened that suggests my previous point was on the money

We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” Town owner Marcus Evans told the Club website.

“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.

Not even the royal ‘we’

Selling Garner and Waghorn and replacing them with lower league strikers was very risky and highly likely to end badly and unless someone can prove otherwise this to me was Evans doing. Get a manager from League One and he will find me cheaper gems as he only knows players from that level.

Off top of my head can only think of Ollie Watkins who has come from those leagues (for a fee we would pay) in recent times and scored lots of goals in the championship and he took time, sure there are others but Championship clubs are full of established players at that level many with Prem experience or top level experience abroad for a reason
Marcus Evans on 13:13 - Feb 12 with 1597 viewsKeanos_Monkey

I think you've massively under-estimated the role of a football club (business) owner.
Marcus Evans on 13:18 - Feb 12 with 1573 viewsBluefish

Marcus Evans on 12:13 - Feb 12 by kizaitfc

McGoldrick was nothing really to do with Hurst he was out of contract and wanted to go

Marcus Evans on 13:33 - Feb 12 with 1549 viewsr2d2

The man is clueless when it comes to football matters. Why he ever bought a football club is beyond me. He clearly isnt interested in funding it. Why buy it? Why keep it? Only HE knows the answers to that. We wont ever really know his reasons.
Marcus Evans on 13:34 - Feb 12 with 1548 viewskizaitfc

Marcus Evans on 13:18 - Feb 12 by Bluefish

McGoldrick was nothing really to do with Hurst he was out of contract and wanted to go

Not true, McGoldrick stated in an interview last season saying he wanted to stay but Hurst did not see a place for him.

I think his wages and injuries were the main factor, Hurst wanted to free up some spare cash in the wage budget, which at the times seemed a smart move.

Marcus Evans on 13:42 - Feb 12 with 1535 viewsBluefish

Marcus Evans on 13:34 - Feb 12 by kizaitfc

Not true, McGoldrick stated in an interview last season saying he wanted to stay but Hurst did not see a place for him.

I think his wages and injuries were the main factor, Hurst wanted to free up some spare cash in the wage budget, which at the times seemed a smart move.

He stated in an interview before Hurst joined that he would leaving. It was not exactly a secret that he wanted to be closer to the midlands. His contract expired before petite Paul arrived

Marcus Evans on 13:47 - Feb 12 with 1516 viewsKeaneish

He backed Hurst? Hurts sold our best players to raise cash to bring in who he wanted.

Ignore - already been mentioned.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 13:48]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Marcus Evans on 14:35 - Feb 12 with 1422 viewsdavblue

Marcus Evans on 12:50 - Feb 12 by oneoffposter

Yeah with hindsight on Dizzy it doesn’t look great but remember he was on 20k plus a week here so a parting of ways was probably inevitable for everyone certainly rejuvenated him anyway

Evans selling those players made Hursts job much tougher, some of the sales made no sense Webster being a prime example,

Just found this quote from Evans when that sale happened that suggests my previous point was on the money

We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” Town owner Marcus Evans told the Club website.

“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.

Not even the royal ‘we’

Selling Garner and Waghorn and replacing them with lower league strikers was very risky and highly likely to end badly and unless someone can prove otherwise this to me was Evans doing. Get a manager from League One and he will find me cheaper gems as he only knows players from that level.

Off top of my head can only think of Ollie Watkins who has come from those leagues (for a fee we would pay) in recent times and scored lots of goals in the championship and he took time, sure there are others but Championship clubs are full of established players at that level many with Prem experience or top level experience abroad for a reason

When did we last pay 1.8 million for a player?

Jackson comes close.

that's all from my memory.

The trouble is we also shop in the most expensive market, we should be looking further a field to bring in some players also to supplement the the core of the side.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024