Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Path to the playoffs 15:50 - Feb 12 with 6901 viewsJimInGreensboro

We'll need at least 25 points from here on out for a chance at the playoffs. Hard to imagine, but things will actually get worse before they get better. Hang on, though, because we are in for a wild ride to the finish. Here's how I see it:

We have 13 matches remaining, 9 at home and 4 away. We've been poor at home and we will continue that trend for our first four home matches, winning just one. If you think the cries for Lambo's scalp are loud now, wait for the deafening roars to come. However, things will right themselves dramatically as we face much softer sides towards the end of the home schedule (Southend, Bolton, Rochdale, Dons). In all, we'll win 5, draw 3 and lose 1 at home from here on out, earning 18 points.

Our away schedule features 4 clubs presently behind us, Doncaster's games in-hand notwithstanding. We'll win 2, draw one and lose one, producing 7 points.

In all, we'll get 25 points, finishing with 74. That might just get us into 6th.

Game-by-game details:

Home (18 points)

Burton 1
Oxford 1
Fleetwood Town 3
Coventry City 0
Portsmouth 1
Southend H 3
Bolton H 3
Rochdale H 3
MK Dons H 3

Away points (7)

Blackpool 3
Bristol 1
Shrewsbury 3
Doncaster 0

Path to the playoffs on 16:13 - Feb 12 with 5707 viewsKeaneish

I have it slightly different primarily because some of these games are do or die unlike recent big fixtures and the bigger players at our club will find that little bit extra even if they have been bobbins for a while:

Game-by-game details - 26 points in total.

Home (21 points)

Burton 3
Oxford 3
Fleetwood Town 1
Coventry City 1
Portsmouth 3
Southend H 3
Bolton H 3
Rochdale H 1
MK Dons H 3

Away points (5 points)

Blackpool 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Shrewsbury 3
Doncaster 0

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

You two are off your heads..... on 16:18 - Feb 12 with 5678 viewsBloots

Path to the playoffs on 16:13 - Feb 12 by Keaneish

I have it slightly different primarily because some of these games are do or die unlike recent big fixtures and the bigger players at our club will find that little bit extra even if they have been bobbins for a while:

Home (21 points)

Burton 3
Oxford 3
Fleetwood Town 1
Coventry City 1
Portsmouth 3
Southend H 3
Bolton H 3
Rochdale H 1
MK Dons H 3

Away points (5 points)

Blackpool 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Shrewsbury 3
Doncaster 0

....I make it about 13.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Path to the playoffs on 16:21 - Feb 12 with 5669 viewsBiGDonnie

A lot of Ws for a team who have 22 points in 20 games.

On current form, we'd be lucky to get 15 points.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Path to the playoffs on 19:41 - Feb 12 with 5507 viewsPhantomsBelievers

I'm sorry, but I don't see us getting anywhere near 25 points. Football, like a lot of sports, is a 'momentum game' and right now we don't have any. 22 points from the last 20 is bad enough, but we've also taken only 1pt from the last 12. We threw away what potential momentum we did have earlier in the season, by keep needlessly taking the international breaks when we didn't really need to!

Sat-17-Aug - Peterborough United (a) drew 2-2
Tue-20-Aug - AFC Wimbledon (h) WON 2-1
Sat-24-Aug - Bolton Wanderers (a) WON 5-0
Sat-31-Aug - Shrewsbury Town (h) WON 3-0
Sat-07-Sep - Rochdale (a) POSTPONED (International Break) - Rescheduled Tue-05-Nov, won 1-0
Sat-14-Sep - Doncaster Rovers (h) drew 0-0

2-week break between Shrewsbury Town at home and Doncaster Rovers at home, apart from the EFL Trophy game at home to Spurs on Tue-03-Sep, after 3 good wins on the bounce (4 if you include the Spurs game). Shall we try and kick on; no f*** it we'll destroy the momentum and take a break!

Tue-17-Sep - MK Dons (a) WON 1-0
Sat-21-Sep - Gillingham (a) WON 1-0
Sat-28-Sep - Tranmere Rovers (h) WON 4-1
Sat-05-Oct - Fleetwood Town (a) WON 1-0
Sat-12-Oct - Wycombe Wanders (h) POSTPONED (International Break) - Rescheduled Tue-26-Nov, drew 0-0
Sun-20-Oct - Accrington Stanley (a) lost 2-0
Tue-23-Oct - Rotherham United (h) lost 2-0

Rebuild the momentum again with another 5 wins on the bounce (4 league games above, plus a 4-0 home win against Gillingham in the EFL Trophy) 3 of which are away from home. Shall we try and kick on with a home game against a major competitor; no f*** it, we'll destroy the momentum and take a break and lose our next 2 games.

Sat-26-Oct - Southend United (a) WON 3-1
Tue-05-Nov - Rochdale (a) WON 1-0
Sat-09-Nov - Lincoln City (h) drew 1-1 (FA Cup)
Tue-12-Nov - Colchester United (a) lost 1-0 (EFL Trophy)
Sat-16-Nov -Oxford United (a) POSTPONED (International Break) - Rescheduled Tue-14-Jan, drew 0-0
Sat-23-Nov Blackpool (h) drew 2-2

Rebuild the momentum again with 2 further wins and progression to the FA Cup 2nd round after a replay. The only blot was the loss to Colchester United in a dead-rubber EFL Trophy match. Shall we try and kick on again; no f*** it, we'll destroy any momentum we have for a 3rd time and take a break!

Talk about 3 strikes and you're out! 3 times we had a chance to kick on but took the break. That is poor decision-making by the club and management in my book.
Path to the playoffs on 20:07 - Feb 12 with 5447 viewsPhantomsBelievers

... still, those muppets don't need to take the next international break over the weekend of 28-Mar, as that was our scheduled Bury away game, so we'll be taking it by default. The next game after that is home to Southend on Sat-04-Apr, so I don't think I'd be banking on 3pt there...
Path to the playoffs on 20:21 - Feb 12 with 5398 viewsJ2BLUE

Home (21 points)

Burton 3
Oxford 3
Fleetwood Town 1
Coventry City 1
Portsmouth 3
Southend H 3
Bolton H 3
Rochdale H 1
MK Dons H 3

Away points (5 points)

Blackpool 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Shrewsbury 3
Doncaster 0

We're only going to lose one game in thirteen?

For a nice dose of reality go to the tables section of this site and set the date to the day before the Accrington game. You will find that we are bottom half despite being the only club in the division to play 20 games in that period. Literally the entire league has games in hand on us in that period and we are bottom half.

That's the reality. For 20 games we've been sh1te. Why do people think it will all come good?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Path to the playoffs on 20:51 - Feb 12 with 5310 viewsStadiumofdark

Path to the playoffs on 20:21 - Feb 12 by J2BLUE

For a nice dose of reality go to the tables section of this site and set the date to the day before the Accrington game. You will find that we are bottom half despite being the only club in the division to play 20 games in that period. Literally the entire league has games in hand on us in that period and we are bottom half.

That's the reality. For 20 games we've been sh1te. Why do people think it will all come good?

It's the hope that kills us.....
Path to the playoffs on 21:06 - Feb 12 with 5283 viewsKeaneish

Path to the playoffs on 20:21 - Feb 12 by J2BLUE

We’re going to end the season as we started it. Blind optimism and football poetry says so.

Login to get fewer ads

Path to the playoffs on 21:13 - Feb 12 with 5250 viewsSwansea_Blue

The path to the playoffs starts August.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Path to the playoffs on 21:14 - Feb 12 with 5256 viewspennyfathersleg

We’ve won 13 games out of 31 so far this season. Can’t see us winning 8 out of the last 13! Especially as our form is worse now than at the start of the season!
Path to the playoffs on 22:08 - Feb 12 with 5140 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Who knows how many points we can get out of that lot of games?

We need to somehow get top two or we are down next season. There is no way we can go from being unable to beat any of the top 8 to winning the play-offs. We used to struggle to win play-offs when our team did used to beat the top sides.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Path to the playoffs on 22:51 - Feb 12 with 5058 viewsSwansea_Blue

Path to the playoffs on 22:08 - Feb 12 by Nthsuffolkblue

Who knows how many points we can get out of that lot of games?

We need to somehow get top two or we are down next season. There is no way we can go from being unable to beat any of the top 8 to winning the play-offs. We used to struggle to win play-offs when our team did used to beat the top sides.

We won't get top 2. I'll be gobsmacked if we get in the playoffs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Path to the playoffs on 00:02 - Feb 13 with 4952 viewshamburger_sv

The path to the playoffs lie in sacking Lambert and getting in a manager who is less clueless.

Poll: Who would be the best owner for Ipswich Town?

Path to the playoffs on 03:40 - Feb 13 with 4781 viewsharlingblue

Our path to the play offs? We have no chance with PL. As a PR man, he has done a wonderful job, but as a coach, a novice.
Path to the playoffs on 05:43 - Feb 13 with 4735 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

25 points would put us on 74 points - to beat that at least 4 teams will need to suddenly start picking up more ppg than they have over the season so far

Plus in the last 10 years 74 is the highest points total achieved by 6th place - and that is in seasons with 46 games

We won’t need 25 points, it’ll be closer to the 70 mark I suspect

Your game predictions are mental too btw

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Path to the playoffs on 06:11 - Feb 13 with 4716 viewspeterleeblue

That haul just to make the play offs?

Crikey we have totally blown top 2. What an almighty mess we have made of this season.

Evans brief had to be. Keep us down and you can have a 5 year contract. Insane!
Path to the playoffs on 07:02 - Feb 13 with 4648 viewsjas0999

We might beat a Bolton at home, otherwise I’m struggling to see where any other wins will come from.

We have won just three in last twenty in all competitions. So winning seven in thirteen would be some turnaround.
Path to the playoffs on 08:03 - Feb 13 with 4542 viewsKeaneish

Path to the playoffs on 05:43 - Feb 13 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

25 points would put us on 74 points - to beat that at least 4 teams will need to suddenly start picking up more ppg than they have over the season so far

Plus in the last 10 years 74 is the highest points total achieved by 6th place - and that is in seasons with 46 games

We won’t need 25 points, it’ll be closer to the 70 mark I suspect

Your game predictions are mental too btw

If every team above us maintained their points per game, the top seven table would look like this in May. A lot of these teams above us are in better form than they have been all season too. Looks bleak...

Rotherham 1.86 pg - 26pts = Total 82 points
Coventry 1.86 pg - 27pts = 81 points

Peterborough 1.71 pg - 20pts = Total 75 points
Wycombe 1.71 pg - 22pts = 75 points
Portsmouth 1.72 pg - 25pts = 75 points
Sunderland 1.7 pg - 23pts = 74 points

Ipswich 1.58pg - 20pts = 69 points

Path to the playoffs on 08:13 - Feb 13 with 4517 viewsr2d2

Home (21 points)

Burton 3
Oxford 3
Fleetwood Town 1
Coventry City 1
Portsmouth 3
Southend H 3
Bolton H 3
Rochdale H 1
MK Dons H 3

Away points (5 points)

Blackpool 1
Bristol Rovers 1
Shrewsbury 3
Doncaster 0

Well, 3 points against Burton wont happen. I fully expect us to bottle that Saturday. Portsmouth is definitely a no no too. They are too good for us. Coventry a draw? Would be a decent point, as l think they are the best team in the division man for man all over the pitch.
Path to the playoffs on 08:20 - Feb 13 with 4502 viewsKeaneish

Path to the playoffs on 08:13 - Feb 13 by r2d2

Well, 3 points against Burton wont happen. I fully expect us to bottle that Saturday. Portsmouth is definitely a no no too. They are too good for us. Coventry a draw? Would be a decent point, as l think they are the best team in the division man for man all over the pitch.

Pompey’s away record isn’t great, think they’ve lost seven or so and they weren’t great at Fratton Park. Would happily take a point at home to Coventry and Burton is a must win in my view. They’re pretty ordinary but sadly, so are we.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 8:21]

Path to the playoffs on 08:22 - Feb 13 with 4488 viewsElephantintheRoom

That's quite a turnaround in home form?

I am not sure that many points would be needed to come 6th.... this is a distinctly average division - and the club coming sixth with be effectively mid-table plus a couple of points.

Given how miserable everyone seemed to be in the Championship I am surprised you're so looking forward to it again

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Path to the playoffs on 08:32 - Feb 13 with 4466 viewsr2d2

Path to the playoffs on 08:20 - Feb 13 by Keaneish

Pompey’s away record isn’t great, think they’ve lost seven or so and they weren’t great at Fratton Park. Would happily take a point at home to Coventry and Burton is a must win in my view. They’re pretty ordinary but sadly, so are we.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 8:21]

Portsmouths away record isnt great, granted. Trouble is, our home record is pretty awful. Ive just completely lost the faith this season. We are a bang average 3rd division team lm afraid.
Path to the playoffs on 08:45 - Feb 13 with 4441 viewsKeaneish

Path to the playoffs on 08:22 - Feb 13 by ElephantintheRoom

That's quite a turnaround in home form?

I am not sure that many points would be needed to come 6th.... this is a distinctly average division - and the club coming sixth with be effectively mid-table plus a couple of points.

Given how miserable everyone seemed to be in the Championship I am surprised you're so looking forward to it again

I’m not but I’m definitely done with League One. Done all the new ground scratches but the standard is woeful.

Path to the playoffs on 08:56 - Feb 13 with 4414 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Path to the playoffs on 08:03 - Feb 13 by Keaneish

If every team above us maintained their points per game, the top seven table would look like this in May. A lot of these teams above us are in better form than they have been all season too. Looks bleak...

Rotherham 1.86 pg - 26pts = Total 82 points
Coventry 1.86 pg - 27pts = 81 points

Peterborough 1.71 pg - 20pts = Total 75 points
Wycombe 1.71 pg - 22pts = 75 points
Portsmouth 1.72 pg - 25pts = 75 points
Sunderland 1.7 pg - 23pts = 74 points

Ipswich 1.58pg - 20pts = 69 points

I stand corrected - I probably should have done the actual maths rather than taking a 6am glance and thinking ‘that feels like they’ll be under 74’!

That said I still think history suggests it won’t be quite that high, but I guess it could be a freak season

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Path to the playoffs on 09:12 - Feb 13 with 4389 viewshampstead_blue

Home (17 points)

Burton 3
Oxford 1
Fleetwood Town 3
Coventry City 1
Portsmouth 0
Southend H 3
Bolton H 3
Rochdale H 3
MK Dons H 3

Away points (7)

Blackpool 1
Bristol 0
Shrewsbury 3
Doncaster 3

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024