Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Be under no illusion 08:08 - Feb 13 with 9858 viewsGlasgowBlue

If we fail to go up this season we will not be signing Garbutt and will most likely cash in on KVY, Dozzell, Wolfenden, Drogba & Downes.

A top six league one team may also believe that they could do a better job with either Norwood or Jackson than we have. And Marcus will take their money.

Which begs the question: Is Evans happy with us being a mid table League One team?

Under Mick’s management, he showed that he didn’t have the appetite or ambition to fund a promotion push to the Premier League and if we were promoted back to the championship, it’s fairly obvious that this team needs serious investment just to stay up next season.

So is making up the numbers in League one where Evans feels most comfortable?
[Post edited 13 Feb 2020 8:14]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Be under no illusion on 14:34 - Feb 13 with 574 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Be under no illusion on 11:00 - Feb 13 by Garv

I might end up being wrong but that seems dramatic to me.

They are currently League One players. Woolfenden looks great but he's not played more than a handful of games in the Championship and has had bad games this season. Downes is probably a step ahead. Both have a long way to go before they get to Cresswell/Mings levels.

Are Brighton a top club? All our half decent young players will be on those radars. Dozzell I can see going if he continues not to play, but not someone like Dobra or El Mizouni who seems to be in the same bracket.

Isn't Roberts out of contract in the summer? If so, I can't see him returning.

I think he’s broadly right

Downes and Wolf will almost certainly attract bids - they’ll want to go and we’ll need to balance the books. I guess it’s possible one could stay if we make sufficient sales elsewhere

Dozzell isn’t signing a new deal as it stands and difficult to see anything happening that will change that. Struggle to see any scenario where we don’t take a fee now rather than lose for nothing, especially as there doesn’t seem much appetite to play him

Only one I’m less sure on is Dobra, as I’m not sure on his contract? Seems that there is interest but would probably be in our interest to keep and give him games next year rather than cash in now, and with the above going we can presumably afford to do so

Norwood/Jackson part is obviously speculation but I expect whoever is in charge will want to freshen up the frontline, which will mean parting with somewhere

So in summary I think he is right re all the individuals potentially leaving, but maybe one or two staying depending on what funds we get in

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Be under no illusion on 15:01 - Feb 13 with 546 viewsrickw

Be under no illusion on 10:12 - Feb 13 by artsbossbeard

"I think Downes and Woolfenden will leave in the summer, however I'm sure we'll get around £10m + add-ons for them. "

Crikey.

So bearing in mind Peterbrough rate Toney at £13m, do you think £5m each for these is unreasonable?

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Be under no illusion on 15:09 - Feb 13 with 534 viewsAce_High1

Be under no illusion on 10:11 - Feb 13 by rickw

I think Downes and Woolfenden will leave in the summer, however I'm sure we'll get around £10m + add-ons for them.
I think Dozzell will want to leave unless he's given assurances of regular first team football next season.

We've seen how well 2 of our youngsters have done since being given the chance, I'd like to clear the way for more of them to play regularly. Can anyone honestly say that El Mizouni, Dobra or Morris would have done worse than the players currently in their positions?

I think that is highly optimistic.

We will give away players cheap as we normally do. Downes £1.75m and Woolfenden £2.5m at most.

If we don't go up this year we will become a permanent League 1 club, we don't turn down offers for any player. We can afford to in January as we are holding out for promotion but come the summer the flood gates will open.
Be under no illusion on 15:20 - Feb 13 with 520 viewsHerbivore

Be under no illusion on 15:09 - Feb 13 by Ace_High1

We will give away players cheap as we normally do. Downes £1.75m and Woolfenden £2.5m at most.

If we don't go up this year we will become a permanent League 1 club, we don't turn down offers for any player. We can afford to in January as we are holding out for promotion but come the summer the flood gates will open.

They won't go that cheaply. Under £2m for Downes is just you being silly and having a flounce.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Be under no illusion on 15:39 - Feb 13 with 510 viewsWickets

Be under no illusion on 08:29 - Feb 13 by Herbivore

I don't buy the idea that Evans is happy for us to be a middling League 1 side and just cash in on any saleable assets. First off, we turned down offers for Judge in the summer and we turned down 7 figure offers in the window just gone. That doesn't suggest desperation to cash in and no ambition to go up. It's not the first time Evans has turned down sizeable bids for players either.

On top of that, the only chance ME has of ever getting any money back is by us playing at a higher level, either somehow getting up to the Prem or at least being able to claw in genuinely big fees for Downes and Woolfy as a Championship side. A club of our size is also a much more attractive prospect to a buyer in the Championship than in League 1. Being one step away from the Prem is more enticing to investors than being midtable in League 1.

I fully get the doom and gloom at the minute, our situation is hugely depressing. That said some of the speculative catastrophising is also a bit much. I don't see any evidence, past or present, to suggest that if we don't go up Evans will hold a fire sale and settle for being a midtable League 1 side.

Blimey i agree ! But the lino still gave the pen though !
Be under no illusion on 16:03 - Feb 13 with 487 viewsSuperblue95

Be under no illusion on 15:09 - Feb 13 by Ace_High1

Why would Downes go cheaper than Woolfenden when he’s played much more games and is the better of the two?

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024