Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. 22:31 - Feb 13 with 5501 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

This might be of interest to some, or indeed not, but it was on the 1st February 1969 when i went to my first Ipswich Town match. I was 8 at the time. The opponents that saturday afternoon were the mighty Manchester United Line ups that day were.....

David Best,
Mick Mills,
Billy Houghton,
Bobby Bell,
Mick McNeil,
Chris Barnard,
Peter Morris,
Danny Hegan,
Frank Brogan,
John O Rourke,
Ray Crawford.

Alex Stepney,
Steve James,
John Fitzpatrick,
Tony Dunne,
Bobby Charlton,
Paddy Crerrand,
Nobby Stiles,
Brian Kidd,
Willie Morgan,
Dennis Law,
George Best.

Respective managers were Bobby Robson and Matt Busby.
Attendance 30,837.
Town won 1-0, a 90th minute own goal from Dunne.
A love affair with the boys in blue began that day.
Do any of the more senior posters on here remember that game, or indeed Chris Barnard.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 22:41 - Feb 13 with 5438 viewsRadlett_blue

Chris Barnard had dropped out of the picture when I started watching Town a year or so later, but I do remember watching him play for Chelmsford City, my local team, between 1972 and 1975. Only Southern League, but he was quite an elegant midfield player with an eye for goal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 22:42 - Feb 13 with 5432 viewsFtnfwest

I was 2 and a half so slightly before my time! A game that featured 2 of only 3 Englishmen to have both a World Cup and European cup winners medal (and at the time of the game the only two)
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 23:58 - Feb 13 with 5287 viewspablovian

This game took place very soon after Bobby Robson was appointed manager. I missed it, having just started my very first full-time job in Welwyn Garden City. Making £13 per week before tax, I had very little money for travel, but went to several London away games and a few home games.

Looking at the lineup, the midfield and forwards were excellent but the defence was questionable. Billy Houghton and Mick McNeil were experienced pros, but Mick Mills was only 20 years old and on the fringe of the first team, and Bobby Bell was an unknown 18 year old reserve. They were promoted after Robson's punch-up with Billy Baxter and Tommy Carroll. It's still astonishing to me that they held Manchester United scoreless ...

During the relegation battles of the next two or three seasons, there were times when the trio of Derek Jefferson, Geoff Hammond and Bobby Bell would kick anything that moved. That era ended with the arrival of Allan Hunter and Kevin Beattie.
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 00:14 - Feb 14 with 5269 viewseddiespearitt03

Yep, sitting on the wooden disabled enclosure in the corner of the old East Stand (near North Stand) as a scruffy little 10 year old. Shouting to my schoolmate sitting in the St Johns ambulance dug out next to Mr Green the first aider. Great days !!!
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 00:31 - Feb 14 with 5243 viewsLancsBlue

Crikey - that was my first match as well! I was 7 at the time but I can't say I remember too much about the match itself. Little could I have imagined the thousands of miles that I would travel, the thousands of pounds that I would spend or the thousands of hours I would invest in watching Town over the next half century. There have been some fantastic memories, sadly not too many of them in recent times though. Football is cyclical, our turn will come again and sometimes it happens when you least expect it - ask any Sheffield United fan.

Poll: If you watch Town less often than in the past, what is the main reason?

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 00:47 - Feb 14 with 5229 viewsmadmouse1959

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 00:31 - Feb 14 by LancsBlue

Crikey - that was my first match as well! I was 7 at the time but I can't say I remember too much about the match itself. Little could I have imagined the thousands of miles that I would travel, the thousands of pounds that I would spend or the thousands of hours I would invest in watching Town over the next half century. There have been some fantastic memories, sadly not too many of them in recent times though. Football is cyclical, our turn will come again and sometimes it happens when you least expect it - ask any Sheffield United fan.

If only we realized at the time how lucky we were to be around in those days.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2020 7:35]

shampoo dave

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 07:10 - Feb 14 with 5029 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

If my memory serves me correctly, i, along with several other young uns were sat cross legged in front of the Churchmans retaining wall pitchside.
Tony Dunnes wonderful own goal and being really excited seeing Charlton, Best, Law etc, all famous players then, what a great introduction to live football.
Still, we have the not so mighty Burton Albion tomorrow, but, sure that some young fans attending their first game will be equaly inspired to be the supporters of the future.

ITID and COYFB.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 08:49 - Feb 14 with 4903 viewsPJH

Yes I remember that game and I remember Chris Barnard.

That game was Bobby Robson's first home game as manager.
Login to get fewer ads

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 08:54 - Feb 14 with 4891 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 08:49 - Feb 14 by PJH

Yes I remember that game and I remember Chris Barnard.

That game was Bobby Robson's first home game as manager.

Thanks PJH. I had a feeling there was something else significant about that game.

If we could only unearth a manager with half the great mans ability, our future would be looking a whole lot better.

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 11:19 - Feb 14 with 4757 viewslinhdi

Brilliant post! Yes, football has cost me thousands and more, but it has given me so much, and still does. I have so many friends I would not otherwise have known. I have had a ready-made conversation topic wherever in the world I travel, whoever I meet. I have something to look forward to, at least every week - not just "the match" but the whole thing around "going to the match".
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:24 - Feb 14 with 4660 viewslongtimefan

My first ITFC first team match was also at home to Man Utd. A year later in 19th Sept 1970. We won that one 4-0
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:43 - Feb 14 with 4635 viewsSwansea_Blue

Great post. About 7-8 years too early for me.

I can't remember my first. We started with reserve games, and I vividly remember playing with my matchbox cars on the steps of the old west stand (there were a number of tunnels that came up through the lower tier of the stand). I'd have been anywhere between ages 5 and 7. Sadly, I have no idea what my first senior game was or even the season. It may have been as early as 76/77, but more likely 77/78 or 78/79.

I've got some programmes somewhere but buried deep in the loft.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:53 - Feb 14 with 4620 viewsRadlett_blue

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:24 - Feb 14 by longtimefan

My first ITFC first team match was also at home to Man Utd. A year later in 19th Sept 1970. We won that one 4-0

Mine was 8 months earlier in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 to Man U thanks to a last minute Mick McNeil o.g. 29,552 attendance. Aged 12, I sat in the old East Stand. I wasn't really a proper fan until I was considered old enough to go to games on my own, which was when I was 14.

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 14:00 - Feb 14 with 4603 viewsPJH

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:53 - Feb 14 by Radlett_blue

Mine was 8 months earlier in the FA Cup. We lost 1-0 to Man U thanks to a last minute Mick McNeil o.g. 29,552 attendance. Aged 12, I sat in the old East Stand. I wasn't really a proper fan until I was considered old enough to go to games on my own, which was when I was 14.

That cup game against Man U was all ticket which was very rare back then and before.
I seem to remember that they issued vouchers of some sort at a reserve game prior to the Man U game and those vouchers entitled you to apply for a ticket for the cup game.

I do not remember how else you went about getting a ticket, queued up I suppose, but I do know that an all ticket game was almost unheard of.

I think the home game against QPR at the end of 1967/68 when we were both chasing (and both got) promotion was also all ticket.
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 14:23 - Feb 14 with 4564 viewssotd78

My first memory of any game was 25 March 1967. Ipswich 4 v Portsmouth 2
Colin Viljoen debut and a hat-trick. I had turned 9 the week before.
Attendance was 13,699

I do remember seeing Ipswich play Man Utd - possibly this very game you mention. I recall Diesel Morris shooting hard and high and Alex Stepney taking off - appearing to be a little ball of a body just with an arm and a hand - palming the shot over the bar. Fantastic stuff.

Looking back those were all decent players. Sadly we don't have anyone nearly as good. And equally sadly we'd never get 30,837 into the ground now even if we wished it.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 14:23 - Feb 14 with 4563 viewsjaykay

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 08:54 - Feb 14 by StochesStotasBlewe

Thanks PJH. I had a feeling there was something else significant about that game.

If we could only unearth a manager with half the great mans ability, our future would be looking a whole lot better.

we were lucky as he wasn't our first choice to manage us. good job someone turned us down. so the remit should be a ex england international played for a london club in their time. that scenario gave us ramsey and robson.
bobby bell was the start of ipswich becoming successful as he was part of the deal that brought allan hunter to ipswich, who in turn helped beattie to become the greatest all time player for ipswich.
its now 63 years from my first game watching ipswich. we were in this level for my first game

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 14:24 - Feb 14 with 4562 viewsRadlett_blue

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 14:00 - Feb 14 by PJH

That cup game against Man U was all ticket which was very rare back then and before.
I seem to remember that they issued vouchers of some sort at a reserve game prior to the Man U game and those vouchers entitled you to apply for a ticket for the cup game.

I do not remember how else you went about getting a ticket, queued up I suppose, but I do know that an all ticket game was almost unheard of.

I think the home game against QPR at the end of 1967/68 when we were both chasing (and both got) promotion was also all ticket.

Indeed, the FA Cup game against Man U was all ticket, but my dad managed to get a couple of stand tickets, which were like gold dust given that Portman Road had such a small seating capacity that all seats at that time went to season ticket holders. He must have had a contact (he worked in motor finance) who knew a season ticket holder.

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 18:57 - Feb 14 with 4481 viewsAlexwaddell

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 08:54 - Feb 14 by StochesStotasBlewe

Remember that the fans wanted Robson out and John Cobbold apologised to Robson and gave him a rise......the rest is history

Poll: What was today?

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 19:06 - Feb 14 with 4462 viewsEdwardStone

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:24 - Feb 14 by longtimefan

That was my first match too....

Jimmy Robertson was my fave player
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 19:11 - Feb 14 with 4448 viewsPecker

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 18:57 - Feb 14 by Alexwaddell

Remember that the fans wanted Robson out and John Cobbold apologised to Robson and gave him a rise......the rest is history

That is what has happened to Lambert. We are on the edge of greatness again.
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 19:35 - Feb 14 with 4417 viewslondontractorboy57

But it was all worth it.
Finding it hard to motivate myself to attend these days even though ive got my season ticket
Football is so much different these days.
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 07:20 - Feb 15 with 4276 viewsBloomBlue

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 23:58 - Feb 13 by pablovian

This game took place very soon after Bobby Robson was appointed manager. I missed it, having just started my very first full-time job in Welwyn Garden City. Making £13 per week before tax, I had very little money for travel, but went to several London away games and a few home games.

Looking at the lineup, the midfield and forwards were excellent but the defence was questionable. Billy Houghton and Mick McNeil were experienced pros, but Mick Mills was only 20 years old and on the fringe of the first team, and Bobby Bell was an unknown 18 year old reserve. They were promoted after Robson's punch-up with Billy Baxter and Tommy Carroll. It's still astonishing to me that they held Manchester United scoreless ...

During the relegation battles of the next two or three seasons, there were times when the trio of Derek Jefferson, Geoff Hammond and Bobby Bell would kick anything that moved. That era ended with the arrival of Allan Hunter and Kevin Beattie.

Derek Jefferson, Geoff Hammond and Bobby Bell certainly didn't take any prisoners and their first option was to kick the opposition. I remember one game where Hammond tackled/kicked an opposition player so hard I was convinced Hammond had broken the players leg (he didn't) but Hammond meant it deliberately and looked sad it wasn't broken 😊.

The other thing I remember about the game is Man U fans being annoyed because they felt they should be beating a small club/team like Town by default. Funny that I now hear Town fans moaning about the same at games, football goes in circles.
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 09:26 - Feb 15 with 4159 viewsBeckets

51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 07:20 - Feb 15 by BloomBlue

Derek Jefferson, Geoff Hammond and Bobby Bell certainly didn't take any prisoners and their first option was to kick the opposition. I remember one game where Hammond tackled/kicked an opposition player so hard I was convinced Hammond had broken the players leg (he didn't) but Hammond meant it deliberately and looked sad it wasn't broken 😊.

The other thing I remember about the game is Man U fans being annoyed because they felt they should be beating a small club/team like Town by default. Funny that I now hear Town fans moaning about the same at games, football goes in circles.

Great thread. Brings back some good memories. The Viljeon hat trick one of the first games I remember going to...sitting in the West Stand with my Dad. I too was 12 years old for the Man U game which owe won 1-0 and sitting on the grass watching it. Don’t think I missed a home game while I was at Northgate between the ages of 11 and 18. Truly those were the days!
51 years a fan. Bloody Hell. on 13:58 - Feb 15 with 4038 viewssolemio

Some of you folk are unbelievably old.

Mind you when I started coming (from Herts) to ITFC the manager was a former Spurs and England full back.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024