Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? 12:58 - Feb 14 with 3397 viewshomer_123

The one constant throughout Magilton, Keane, Jewell, Mick, Hurst and Lambert is Evans.

Mick got us the closest to the Prem with Hurst then decimating what was a half decent Championship team.

As much as it clearly isn't working under Lambert - changing manager is only going to give us, at best, a potential short term lift.

It's hard to see what would happen if we did get promoted (be it Lambert or A N Other) - Evans has shown no indication or inclination to invest anything but the minimum.

The really depressing thing is that, this one single constant, Evans, isn't going anywhere soon.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:13 - Feb 14 with 1477 viewsGarv

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:54 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

If we don't go up it IS a failure though. And there is no evidence of any long term strategy from Lambert. I don't know why you still defend him.

I think I said this to someone else. You don't know what work the club is doing.

I completely get that people have no faith in Evans, or Lambert, or O'Neil, but the reality is you don't know. The man has a 5 year contract, for whatever reason. The hope is that there is a strategy behind that. Maybe I have too much blind faith, but you can't dismiss there being a long term plan just because Lambert hasn't called you and told you all about it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:14 - Feb 14 with 1478 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:10 - Feb 14 by Garv

Why?

Why what?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:15 - Feb 14 with 1474 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:13 - Feb 14 by Garv

I think I said this to someone else. You don't know what work the club is doing.

I completely get that people have no faith in Evans, or Lambert, or O'Neil, but the reality is you don't know. The man has a 5 year contract, for whatever reason. The hope is that there is a strategy behind that. Maybe I have too much blind faith, but you can't dismiss there being a long term plan just because Lambert hasn't called you and told you all about it.

So what do you think the long term plan might be?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:16 - Feb 14 with 1470 viewsGarv

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:14 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Why what?

'If we don't go up it IS a failure though'

Why?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:18 - Feb 14 with 1466 viewsGarv

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:15 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Frankly, who knows? I know I don't, and I'm pretty sure you don't.

The difference we don't all dismiss there being one just because we lost three games in a row.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:18 - Feb 14 with 1465 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:16 - Feb 14 by Garv

Why?

Because the squad should be good enough to get us out of this league. Four of the last six sides relegated to this division went straight back up and most of them experienced managerial changes and losses of key players. We had relative stability and our manager was backed to strengthen the squad. So yes, not getting printed would be a failure. A big failure.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:19 - Feb 14 with 1461 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:18 - Feb 14 by Garv

The difference we don't all dismiss there being one just because we lost three games in a row.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:23 - Feb 14 with 1455 viewsbluefunk

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:50 - Feb 14 by homer_123

Promotion is indeed essential this year - I'm not disputing that at all.

Failure equates to selling off our better players at a lower price as we are in League 1 - managed decline is bang on Steve.

Evans has given Lambert a 5 year deal - any 'get out' clause is going to based on whether he gets us promoted. If he doesn't I'm sure we can terminate the contract but by that point - it's too late.

Evans wasn't prepared to fund Lambert this January, even for loan deals, so is likely to put his hand in his pocket to pay Lambert off?

Evans decision making, again, puts us in the worst possible situation.

I see Lambert here until the end of the season - getting in the play offs and losing heavily. Lambert walks/ we terminate contract. Well sell off our decent players and continue our decline.

#sorryforthenegativity

Re Evans not funding loan deals, if Lambert was going for the likes of Wickham on loan, I’m not remotely surprised ME wouldn’t fund it. He has given Lambert a squad which most (obviously not PL judging by this mornings comments) would regard as one of the best in the league, backed him in the summer with for example Holy, Norwood, KVY.

Lambert has been incapable of, among other things, keeping a lid on over confidence in the squad and getting them playing with any intensity, so yes a Manager able to do that would make a difference - but over 15 games to the season end, I doubt it. We are stuck with him (and Evans it seems)
Login to get fewer ads

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:23 - Feb 14 with 1457 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:16 - Feb 14 by Garv

Why?

Given we appear to abide by FFP - staying in this division has significant ramifications finacially.

Not getting promoted gaurentees we see the back of Downes, Woolfy, Dozzell and others - even the likes of Jackson, Judge and KVY.

Signing the likes of Garbutt will be impossible.

Staying in this division makes it more and more difficult to get promoted.

Finally, we have, quite possibly, the second biggest playing budget in this division.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:29 - Feb 14 with 1441 viewsGarv

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:18 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Because the squad should be good enough to get us out of this league. Four of the last six sides relegated to this division went straight back up and most of them experienced managerial changes and losses of key players. We had relative stability and our manager was backed to strengthen the squad. So yes, not getting printed would be a failure. A big failure.

So because teams coming down have done it before. Did they all finish dead last winning five championship games? I genuinely don't know.

The manager's not blameless, of course he isn't. But pretending the squad should be good enough just because we were a championship team last season doesn't justify such expectation. We bought league and one and two players in 2018, then a handful of players in 2019, ranging from league two to lower championship. We have no right.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:33 - Feb 14 with 1431 viewsRadlett_blue

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:15 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

There is no sign of a pattern of play. Lambert threw that out of the window in the summer. Maybe we don't have the defenders to play out from the back?
No real sign of team building either. The only players around whom I would build a promotion winning team are Holy, KVY, Woolfenden, Downes, Huws & Edwards. At least one of them might go in the summer.
Contrary to the nonsense he spouts, Lambert has actually been reluctant to play the young players, apart from Woolfenden & Downes, whom even my untrained eye could see long ago were well up to it. We haven't seen enough of Dozzell, El Mizouni, Dobra & several others to know if they might be good 3rd tier players at least.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:35 - Feb 14 with 1428 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:29 - Feb 14 by Garv

So because teams coming down have done it before. Did they all finish dead last winning five championship games? I genuinely don't know.

The manager's not blameless, of course he isn't. But pretending the squad should be good enough just because we were a championship team last season doesn't justify such expectation. We bought league and one and two players in 2018, then a handful of players in 2019, ranging from league two to lower championship. We have no right.

Rotherham were worse than us and they went straight back up. It's about highlighting the significant gap between the two divisions. And Lambert had been here 9 months and had time to plan for this season and kept the squad largely intact whilst adding to it. We should be plenty good enough to go up. Only you and Lambert use this divine right crap to try to obfuscate. This is a poor league, with the players we have we should be doing much better in it. Lambert is not only 'not blameless' he is entirely to blame for cocking this season up.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:50 - Feb 14 with 1401 viewsIllinoisblue

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:45 - Feb 14 by Swansea_Blue

Fragile aren't we? I thought we'd turned the corner after a cope of decent results, but it took nothing for any confidence from those to simply disappear. I can't understand it, unless something is seriously wrong behind the scenes.

Fragile is the word. And that applies to the players, manager and fanbase. We’re all a shambles

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:52 - Feb 14 with 1399 viewsBlueBadger

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:25 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

Perhaps in the short-term, the contrast between the Paul Lambert who arrived 15 months ago determined to improve the club and the tired, jaded man sniping at the press this morning is marked.

The only way we challenge properly for promotion this season is if the team are motivated and confident, I thought we had that back in January and then one bad performance and we're into a poor run again.

Clearly changing the manager isn't a panacea but at the moment Lambert looks like a deadweight on the team. Of course, he did at the end of December too and then 11 points from 15 improved things a lot. Can he do that again starting tomorrow?

I fear it says a lot about his reign that the main difference between now and the start of it is that his pressers are worse.
The players are still demoralised, failing to pick up results and have no real system, formation or settled side to play in.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:56 - Feb 14 with 1395 viewsBlueBadger

'Buy the fans enough drinks that they don't notice hwo sh1t I am'

that, or 'carry on not being Mick McCarthy'.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 14:56]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:59 - Feb 14 with 1392 viewsBlueBlood90

I hate Paul Hurst but I have to disagree that MM left behind a half decent Championship team.

He let McGoldrick's contract run down and leave for free. Both Carter-Vickers (loan)who was brought in to replace Tommy Smith and Bersant Celina had returned to their parent clubs.

Webster should never have been able to leave for £3m in a billion years but he and Waghorn both massively wanted out.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:10 - Feb 14 with 1377 viewshomer_123

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:59 - Feb 14 by BlueBlood90

I hate Paul Hurst but I have to disagree that MM left behind a half decent Championship team.

He let McGoldrick's contract run down and leave for free. Both Carter-Vickers (loan)who was brought in to replace Tommy Smith and Bersant Celina had returned to their parent clubs.

Webster should never have been able to leave for £3m in a billion years but he and Waghorn both massively wanted out.

Both wanted 'out' after hearing what Hurst had planned.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:12 - Feb 14 with 1374 viewsBlueBadger

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:23 - Feb 14 by bluefunk

Re Evans not funding loan deals, if Lambert was going for the likes of Wickham on loan, I’m not remotely surprised ME wouldn’t fund it. He has given Lambert a squad which most (obviously not PL judging by this mornings comments) would regard as one of the best in the league, backed him in the summer with for example Holy, Norwood, KVY.

Lambert has been incapable of, among other things, keeping a lid on over confidence in the squad and getting them playing with any intensity, so yes a Manager able to do that would make a difference - but over 15 games to the season end, I doubt it. We are stuck with him (and Evans it seems)

I think Bloots had the most insigntful comment to make about the whole Wickham thing:

This business with Connor Wickham.... by Bloots 12 Feb 2020 13:48
....I assume this was covered last night, but I missed it, so if we did try and get him on loan then this implies that there was some money available for reinforcements.

So why did we then not get someone in who was in our price range?

It would be like being homeless singleton who could afford a nice two bedroom flat, refusing to buy anything other than an 8 bedroom mansion, and preferring to live on the streets.

Of course the alternative is that our manager is a massive liar.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:25 - Feb 14 with 1365 viewsRadlett_blue

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:10 - Feb 14 by homer_123

Both wanted 'out' after hearing what Hurst had planned.

“We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” Evans told the club website.
“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.
Webster left on 28th June and I doubt Hurst had even got his feet under the table then.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:25 - Feb 14 with 1364 viewsBlueBadger

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 13:54 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

If we don't go up it IS a failure though. And there is no evidence of any long term strategy from Lambert. I don't know why you still defend him.

As I said last season, I can only conclude that it's some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome why people make excuses for him and claim to even enjoy this.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:27 - Feb 14 with 1356 viewsHerbivore

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:25 - Feb 14 by BlueBadger

As I said last season, I can only conclude that it's some kind of weird Stockholm Syndrome why people make excuses for him and claim to even enjoy this.

Garv was so invested in wanting Mick out that he now has to convince himself it was all worth it. It's the only explanation for the mental gymnastics he's performing to try and defend Lambert.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 15:30]

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:29 - Feb 14 with 1356 viewsbluefunk

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:25 - Feb 14 by Radlett_blue

“We didn’t want to lose Adam but it was very clear that the move appealed to him,” Evans told the club website.
“I thought long and hard before agreeing to the move and we haven’t let Adam go without receiving a significant fee and that will be reinvested into the playing squad.
Webster left on 28th June and I doubt Hurst had even got his feet under the table then.

Hurst had been here a month by then, time enough for he and Doig to demonstrate their particular brand of motivation to the players.
A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:35 - Feb 14 with 1347 viewsBlueBadger

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 15:27 - Feb 14 by Herbivore

Garv was so invested in wanting Mick out that he now has to convince himself it was all worth it. It's the only explanation for the mental gymnastics he's performing to try and defend Lambert.
[Post edited 14 Feb 2020 15:30]

He got like this with JEwell as well. Even more so when Mick actually came in and made us half-decent.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 19:09 - Feb 14 with 1299 viewsBlueBadger

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:18 - Feb 14 by Garv

I think we're dismissing the idea that there might be one due to the fact that we've failed to win over 70% of our games under him.

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 19:14 - Feb 14 with 1295 viewsAlexwaddell

A change in Manager - would it 'actually' make any difference? on 14:23 - Feb 14 by homer_123

Given we appear to abide by FFP - staying in this division has significant ramifications finacially.

Not getting promoted gaurentees we see the back of Downes, Woolfy, Dozzell and others - even the likes of Jackson, Judge and KVY.

Signing the likes of Garbutt will be impossible.

Staying in this division makes it more and more difficult to get promoted.

Finally, we have, quite possibly, the second biggest playing budget in this division.

Remember player costs for ITFC cover 48 players at our club, so the salaries will possibly be higher than most in this division

Poll: What was today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024