Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM 17:43 - Feb 14 with 3142 viewsGlasgowBlue

Lisa Nandy, Chair of Labour Friends of Palestine has been nominated as leader by the Jewish Labour Movement.

All those cult followers who claimed the antisemitism crisis was just about Israel have nowhere to hide.

Lisa Nandy nails it in this speech.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 525 viewsDarth_Koont

Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM on 12:01 - Feb 15 by Churchman

As I said in my other post, I need to understand this stuff better. I presume the difference between anti semistism and anti Zionism is the difference between racism and hostility to the Israeli state?

Burgons speech: I heard it once and I didn’t like what I heard. I’ll listen to it again. Either way, the point you raise about him being caught openly lying is possibly even more important. I believe he is a massive electoral liability to Labour and it’s something they don’t need. There are better people out there.

As for Starmer, he is clearly a very clever man (elected to the Bar, DPP etc etc) and has been around a bit. But there is something about him that I find unconvincing aside from his odd Brexit stance. Interesting times, but to provide effective opposition which the country desperately needs, they have to get it right, which rules out LB and Thornberry immediately for me.

"I presume the difference between anti semistism and anti Zionism is the difference between racism and hostility to the Israeli state?"

No, it's all antisemitism according to the Campaign Against Antisemitism and the other hardcore Zionists. And the problem with that is any criticism of Israel and its actions becomes automatically antisemitic for too many of them.

That's patently absurd and shouldn't be encouraged. Israel has a right to exist and self-determine but that can't be at the expense of others. And it's not antisemitic to call that out, nor to question the religious and nationalist fundamentalism that Zionism has excused and encouraged.

Standing on the side you'd think that this was all obvious and antisemitism can be clearly identified and called out. But it's undeniable that far too many of the fiercest campaigners are actually using it as a weapon to promote their own hardcore view and shut down debate. And it's only by conflating it with genuine antisemitism and cowing politicians and media into accepting that narrative that this has become the issue it has. Of course, not helped by party political rivals jumping on the bandwagon to make capital out of it.

Frankly, it's a mess. But it's mostly a mess because the conflation and blurring lines makes it difficult to be objective and search out the evidence. And it lets people control the narrative and do with it what they will.

In the process, a lot of innocent people (Jews and non-Jews) have become victims. And what really makes me annoyed is that this isn't even addressing antiracism but on the whole forcing people to look at the wrong things and in the wrong direction while much clearer racism in our government, our politics and our society is allowed to take hold.

Pronouns: He/Him

Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM on 12:39 - Feb 15 with 476 viewsChurchman

Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM on 12:22 - Feb 15 by Darth_Koont

"I presume the difference between anti semistism and anti Zionism is the difference between racism and hostility to the Israeli state?"

No, it's all antisemitism according to the Campaign Against Antisemitism and the other hardcore Zionists. And the problem with that is any criticism of Israel and its actions becomes automatically antisemitic for too many of them.

That's patently absurd and shouldn't be encouraged. Israel has a right to exist and self-determine but that can't be at the expense of others. And it's not antisemitic to call that out, nor to question the religious and nationalist fundamentalism that Zionism has excused and encouraged.

Standing on the side you'd think that this was all obvious and antisemitism can be clearly identified and called out. But it's undeniable that far too many of the fiercest campaigners are actually using it as a weapon to promote their own hardcore view and shut down debate. And it's only by conflating it with genuine antisemitism and cowing politicians and media into accepting that narrative that this has become the issue it has. Of course, not helped by party political rivals jumping on the bandwagon to make capital out of it.

Frankly, it's a mess. But it's mostly a mess because the conflation and blurring lines makes it difficult to be objective and search out the evidence. And it lets people control the narrative and do with it what they will.

In the process, a lot of innocent people (Jews and non-Jews) have become victims. And what really makes me annoyed is that this isn't even addressing antiracism but on the whole forcing people to look at the wrong things and in the wrong direction while much clearer racism in our government, our politics and our society is allowed to take hold.

Ta for that. Very interesting.
Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM on 14:24 - Feb 15 with 439 viewsDarth_Koont

Lisa Nandy endorsed by the JLM on 12:39 - Feb 15 by Churchman

Ta for that. Very interesting.

No probs.

And just to give some wider context, this isn't even about Corbyn. If people have been following the wider "debate" over the past two decades and what is happening in the US with the particularly fierce pro-Israeli lobby, then none of this is anything new.

The fact that it became an issue for the wider public when Corbyn became leader might lead people to think he's the problem and he represents this new antisemitism. No, it's been part of a constant campaign against Israel's critics — Miliband even got some of it, Sanders and his supporters are getting it now. But with Corbyn it became a particularly important weapon to use against him and neutralise him, especially by those rivals within Labour.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024