Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Caroline Flack 17:55 - Feb 15 with 15103 viewsBloomBlue

Far too young
RIP Caroline Flack on 04:54 - Feb 16 with 3129 viewsPippin1970

Listening to Radio 5 whilst on my night shift. One guy phoned up saying about alleged domestic violence on Men. If it was other way around the man would be damned. The presenter finished straight away onto next caller. I find it sad how the press hound people etc then next day doing glowing tribute. Daily Mirror and the Sun worse examples. Her mental health must of be so fragile and so young too.
RIP Caroline Flack on 07:56 - Feb 16 with 3039 viewsglasso

RIP Caroline Flack on 19:28 - Feb 15 by jeera

I watched the doc about the chap discovered in Barrymore's pool a few days ago.

I didn't catch the name but some NOTW reporter didn't even try to hide his glee at how he and others lept all over the story at the time.

No hint of remorse at harassing the grieving family, no regrets about exaggerating events when they didn't have enough to go on etc.

If you've seen it you'll know what I mean. It's impossible to watch without wanting to smack the scumbag through the screen.

Paul McMullan. He's an absolute scumbag. He's also someone who loves popping up on those sort of shows to brag about the awful stuff he got up to, which is bizarre. You'd think he might think, 'this probably doesn't reflect too well on me so I'll give it a swerve,' but he revels in it
RIP Caroline Flack on 07:57 - Feb 16 with 3040 viewsChurchman

RIP Caroline Flack on 20:29 - Feb 15 by Doctor_Earman

She was due to stand trial for assaulting her boyfriend with a lamp. Let's not forget that.

The problems with this statement are many. In particular, it implies that she and her family deserve no sympathy because she has been accused of something. I always thought people were innocent until proven guilty.

It implies that because of the alleged assault, she was fair game for the parasites called journalists from rags like the Mirror, Sun, Mail, Express and social media. I can’t agree with that. There is no justification for it and is up there with paying to view the lunatics on a Sunday, as some of the Victorian’s used to do.

Lastly that statement completely misses the point. A person felt they had no choice but to take their own life. Any time that happens it’s awful and a lot of this thread has been around society, social media responsibility - where it begins and ends etc and rightly so. In the age of remote communication there is the potentially dangerous capacity to pursue and torment people without ever seeing their faces.
RIP Caroline Flack on 08:19 - Feb 16 with 3007 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

RIP Caroline Flack on 07:57 - Feb 16 by Churchman

The problems with this statement are many. In particular, it implies that she and her family deserve no sympathy because she has been accused of something. I always thought people were innocent until proven guilty.

It implies that because of the alleged assault, she was fair game for the parasites called journalists from rags like the Mirror, Sun, Mail, Express and social media. I can’t agree with that. There is no justification for it and is up there with paying to view the lunatics on a Sunday, as some of the Victorian’s used to do.

Lastly that statement completely misses the point. A person felt they had no choice but to take their own life. Any time that happens it’s awful and a lot of this thread has been around society, social media responsibility - where it begins and ends etc and rightly so. In the age of remote communication there is the potentially dangerous capacity to pursue and torment people without ever seeing their faces.

Social media at its worst.

This case seems bizarre in that yes it is innocent until proven guilty, the court actually forced her partner not to have any contact with her because they were seemingly confident the offence had taken place.

Once that was the case Twitter was used to hound her out of a job on the lines of ‘if a bloke had done that to a woman ...’

What should happen is justice to take its course, Love Island to react to whatever that was and likely they would have taken the right decision for the proven circumstances.

Whether she did or did not do what she was accused of, the amount of abuse from the media and social media is absolutely awful. People that make mistakes should face them and if that’s what she did she would have faced the consequences but it’s awful someone takes their own life, potentially because of things complete strangers have bombarded them with.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

RIP Caroline Flack on 08:30 - Feb 16 with 2987 viewsChurchman

RIP Caroline Flack on 08:19 - Feb 16 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Social media at its worst.

This case seems bizarre in that yes it is innocent until proven guilty, the court actually forced her partner not to have any contact with her because they were seemingly confident the offence had taken place.

Once that was the case Twitter was used to hound her out of a job on the lines of ‘if a bloke had done that to a woman ...’

What should happen is justice to take its course, Love Island to react to whatever that was and likely they would have taken the right decision for the proven circumstances.

Whether she did or did not do what she was accused of, the amount of abuse from the media and social media is absolutely awful. People that make mistakes should face them and if that’s what she did she would have faced the consequences but it’s awful someone takes their own life, potentially because of things complete strangers have bombarded them with.

I wonder if anonymity for accused should be written into law, as I believe it (rightly) is for alleged victims of rape. If there is a threat to the public, that person is held in custody or a restraining order put on them anyway.
RIP Caroline Flack on 09:19 - Feb 16 with 2934 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

RIP Caroline Flack on 20:29 - Feb 15 by Doctor_Earman

She was due to stand trial for assaulting her boyfriend with a lamp. Let's not forget that.

Thank you for perfectly illustrating the dehumanising nature of social media.....society is f*cked!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

RIP Caroline Flack on 11:12 - Feb 16 with 2849 viewsLord_Lucan

RIP Caroline Flack on 09:19 - Feb 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thank you for perfectly illustrating the dehumanising nature of social media.....society is f*cked!

Still I don't think some people realise how bad social media is - and others condemn it but spend half their life using it. I refuse to use it.

Half the police time these days is dealing with social media complaints like - "Janet called me a fat cow on facebook"

Wasting Police Time by David Copperfield is worth a read - although he does come across himself as a bit of a turd sometimes.

It's a race to the bottom I'm telling ya.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

RIP Caroline Flack on 14:07 - Feb 16 with 2724 viewsstrikalite

RIP Caroline Flack on 11:12 - Feb 16 by Lord_Lucan

Still I don't think some people realise how bad social media is - and others condemn it but spend half their life using it. I refuse to use it.

Half the police time these days is dealing with social media complaints like - "Janet called me a fat cow on facebook"

Wasting Police Time by David Copperfield is worth a read - although he does come across himself as a bit of a turd sometimes.

It's a race to the bottom I'm telling ya.

I got loads of downvotes a few weeks ago for saying that Nsiala was a fool for being on twitter when he got loads of abuse on there, too many idiots throwing insults now, why would you want to leave yourself open to that? You can ban all the idiots you want, they'll be sadly more to follow...
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Caroline Flack on 14:39 - Feb 16 with 2688 viewsRyorry

RIP Caroline Flack on 14:07 - Feb 16 by strikalite

I got loads of downvotes a few weeks ago for saying that Nsiala was a fool for being on twitter when he got loads of abuse on there, too many idiots throwing insults now, why would you want to leave yourself open to that? You can ban all the idiots you want, they'll be sadly more to follow...

Kind of agree - I use & enjoy Twitter a lot, it's a question of who/what you follow, and allow to follow you - but I'd *never* use it under my real name, esp if I were a celeb - just setting yourself up as a target.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

RIP Caroline Flack on 14:55 - Feb 16 with 2647 viewsDarth_Koont

RIP Caroline Flack on 14:39 - Feb 16 by Ryorry

Kind of agree - I use & enjoy Twitter a lot, it's a question of who/what you follow, and allow to follow you - but I'd *never* use it under my real name, esp if I were a celeb - just setting yourself up as a target.

Although most public figures are expected to use their real name as part of the promotion of whatever they're involved in.

So if you don't want to be on Twitter or have a following then it will almost certainly affect the work you get.

I think it's a pretty integral part of any media or media-facing business nowadays so if you don't like it then you probably need to get out totally.

Of course you can be so famous that you transcend that and people are employing you and writing about you anyway but they're few and far between.

Pronouns: He/Him

RIP Caroline Flack on 15:13 - Feb 16 with 2608 viewsRyorry

RIP Caroline Flack on 14:55 - Feb 16 by Darth_Koont

Although most public figures are expected to use their real name as part of the promotion of whatever they're involved in.

So if you don't want to be on Twitter or have a following then it will almost certainly affect the work you get.

I think it's a pretty integral part of any media or media-facing business nowadays so if you don't like it then you probably need to get out totally.

Of course you can be so famous that you transcend that and people are employing you and writing about you anyway but they're few and far between.

Has to be for MPs & other politicians I agree, and I admire them for being willing to stand up, but there's nothing to stop any individual using it in a private, personal capacity under any name they want to pick.

Every individual's choice - you don't have to be part of any promotion on social media if you don't want to be unless you enter into a sponsorship deal or whatever. Plenty of actors, eg, simply aren't on the platform as themselves at all (I know a handful), and rely on getting work the "old-fashioned" way. Nothing wrong with that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

RIP Caroline Flack on 15:23 - Feb 16 with 2588 viewsDarth_Koont

RIP Caroline Flack on 15:13 - Feb 16 by Ryorry

Has to be for MPs & other politicians I agree, and I admire them for being willing to stand up, but there's nothing to stop any individual using it in a private, personal capacity under any name they want to pick.

Every individual's choice - you don't have to be part of any promotion on social media if you don't want to be unless you enter into a sponsorship deal or whatever. Plenty of actors, eg, simply aren't on the platform as themselves at all (I know a handful), and rely on getting work the "old-fashioned" way. Nothing wrong with that.

Well, for a mid-level media personality I'd say it's pretty necessary. Especially when they're pitching programmes at an audience of the most active social media users. Promotion (and the costs of promotion) is the name of the game so a presenter who has an active presence and following will always be picked over a presenter who might even be better but just doesn't do social media.

Of course, the point being that it should be safe to be on social media in the first place. I'm just saying that a social media presence is part and parcel of these people's careers nowadays and to stay off it is more and more a career choice.

Pronouns: He/Him

RIP Caroline Flack on 16:46 - Feb 16 with 2528 viewsPecker

RIP Caroline Flack on 22:45 - Feb 15 by SonOfSpock

Am sorry for her family and friends.

In fairness, she's done something that some of us have been wanting to do for 20 years but havnt the kahoonas. Swings and roundabouts.

Really? I mean, REALLY?
RIP Caroline Flack on 16:56 - Feb 16 with 2516 viewsRadlett_blue

RIP Caroline Flack on 15:23 - Feb 16 by Darth_Koont

Well, for a mid-level media personality I'd say it's pretty necessary. Especially when they're pitching programmes at an audience of the most active social media users. Promotion (and the costs of promotion) is the name of the game so a presenter who has an active presence and following will always be picked over a presenter who might even be better but just doesn't do social media.

Of course, the point being that it should be safe to be on social media in the first place. I'm just saying that a social media presence is part and parcel of these people's careers nowadays and to stay off it is more and more a career choice.

It's not just down to social media. Many people over many years have struggled to come to terms with fame & the pressure & scrutiny that goes with it. Yes, it's much more in the public eye now given the prevalence of social media & 24 hour news channels, but it's always been there.
It does make me wonder why so many people want to make careers out of being minor celebrities but maybe they are gullible enough to think that it's easy money.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

RIP Caroline Flack on 17:07 - Feb 16 with 2507 viewsDyland

RIP Caroline Flack on 16:56 - Feb 16 by Radlett_blue

It's not just down to social media. Many people over many years have struggled to come to terms with fame & the pressure & scrutiny that goes with it. Yes, it's much more in the public eye now given the prevalence of social media & 24 hour news channels, but it's always been there.
It does make me wonder why so many people want to make careers out of being minor celebrities but maybe they are gullible enough to think that it's easy money.

Your last sentence raises an important point Radders. Maybe naive, rather than gullible, or as well as. But you're right, it's not easy money unless you lack a bit of empathy, even have a teensy little bit of psychopathy going on. Narcissism and ego won't protect you. Indeed some of the biggest narcissists are incredibly sensitive. Who's going to protect you? You need to have the right people around you. Like running a financially successful social media channel, it's hard work and not a stroll in the park.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

RIP Caroline Flack on 21:47 - Feb 16 with 2383 viewsMullet

RIP Caroline Flack on 19:28 - Feb 15 by jeera

I watched the doc about the chap discovered in Barrymore's pool a few days ago.

I didn't catch the name but some NOTW reporter didn't even try to hide his glee at how he and others lept all over the story at the time.

No hint of remorse at harassing the grieving family, no regrets about exaggerating events when they didn't have enough to go on etc.

If you've seen it you'll know what I mean. It's impossible to watch without wanting to smack the scumbag through the screen.

I'm almost loathe to share this, but at roughly breakfast time Hopkins made this tragedy all about her.

The mind boggles. She should be in jail.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

RIP Caroline Flack on 21:51 - Feb 16 with 2371 viewsjeera

RIP Caroline Flack on 21:47 - Feb 16 by Mullet

I'm almost loathe to share this, but at roughly breakfast time Hopkins made this tragedy all about her.

The mind boggles. She should be in jail.

Oh ffs.

If there's ever anyone who deserves public criticism it's that piece of sh1t.

*Not to be confused with a deliberate set-up like that performed on her recently.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

RIP Caroline Flack on 08:42 - Feb 17 with 2255 viewsitfcjoe

Sadly with the 'Cancel' culture we now have, doubled up with anonymous and unaccountable social media this sort of thing will continue.

Even now the reporting is dishonest, blaming the CPS for pushing on with the trial

She was obviously in a dark place, and her actions had caused her to lose everything and felt she couldn't recover - to go through that in the public eye must put enormous strain on even the most mentally strong person's MH.

Every social media user should be forced to read 'So you've been publicly shamed' by Jon Ronson before they are allowed an account

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

RIP Caroline Flack on 10:45 - Feb 17 with 2192 viewsPecker

RIP Caroline Flack on 08:42 - Feb 17 by itfcjoe

Sadly with the 'Cancel' culture we now have, doubled up with anonymous and unaccountable social media this sort of thing will continue.

Even now the reporting is dishonest, blaming the CPS for pushing on with the trial

She was obviously in a dark place, and her actions had caused her to lose everything and felt she couldn't recover - to go through that in the public eye must put enormous strain on even the most mentally strong person's MH.

Every social media user should be forced to read 'So you've been publicly shamed' by Jon Ronson before they are allowed an account

While this is obviously a sad time for her family and friends, to just blame social media is wrong. These celebrities use social media to boost their profiles and except all the praise when things are good for them. In no way does that excuse anybody for hiding behind a lap top and saying horrible things about people, but those who use it, have to see it for what it is. Please also spare a thought for those who are not in the public eye who were in such a place. Their families and friends go through the same tragedy, just not all over the news. Yes we all need to be kinder, but people also need to see these trolls for what they are. Sad little people with nothing better to do than to try and hurt people. I know that not all people can just brush it off, but if that is you, don't use social media at all. People will always be cruel. You will never stop it. Protect yourselves by not using it in the first place. Mental Health needs to be taken seriously by us all. We will not all want to take our own lives, but it will affect many of us in our lifetime. Protect yourself with what you look at and what you do. Always speak to people you trust. If you do not have someone, there are organisations out there to help. Look after yourselves folks, you are important and precious to many people.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024