Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Desert Island Discs (R4) today 13:22 - Feb 16 with 2916 viewsIP12

Just the most magnificent listen with Ian Wright. It says SO much about the power of being a good teacher. 'Tears to a glass eye'.
Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 13:36 - Feb 16 with 2869 viewsRyorry

You beat me to it, was just about to post the same. Wrighty wasn't the only one filling up!

Can be heard here, available for a year - but worth listening to much, much sooner. His comments about how his teacher (Edit: Mr Pigden of Turnham Jnr School)) turned IW's life around, and how they unexpectedly met up years later when the teacher came into the Arsenal Directors box where Wrighty was taking a moment, is my diamond radio moment of the past 12 months (Edit: is at approx 18'.30"-23'.06").

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fdxw
[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 14:28]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 14:01 - Feb 16 with 2826 viewsIllinoisblue

Looking forward to this one. Assume Mr Pidgin gets a mention

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 14:12 - Feb 16 with 2801 viewsRyorry

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 14:01 - Feb 16 by Illinoisblue

Looking forward to this one. Assume Mr Pidgin gets a mention

More than! Just edited my post with the timing for that fairly lengthy "mention". The bit about Wrighty playing for England being his proudest moment, when he'd been one of the youngest WW2 pilots & had therefore been honoured by being one of those taking part in a celebratory flyover of Buck Pal, was an entire box of Kleenex moment - as was Wrighty saying that unveiling a plaque to Mr Pigden at the school, was the proudest moment of his own life. I'm filling up all over again now!!

Edit: Just found the clip of the reunion (which was in 2010 I believe) -

[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 14:16]

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 14:24 - Feb 16 with 2777 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I will look forward to the repeat (Friday, Radio4, 9am for anyone interested).

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 14:52 - Feb 16 with 2713 viewsIllinoisblue

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 14:12 - Feb 16 by Ryorry

More than! Just edited my post with the timing for that fairly lengthy "mention". The bit about Wrighty playing for England being his proudest moment, when he'd been one of the youngest WW2 pilots & had therefore been honoured by being one of those taking part in a celebratory flyover of Buck Pal, was an entire box of Kleenex moment - as was Wrighty saying that unveiling a plaque to Mr Pigden at the school, was the proudest moment of his own life. I'm filling up all over again now!!

Edit: Just found the clip of the reunion (which was in 2010 I believe) -

[Post edited 16 Feb 2020 14:16]

Splendid stuff. I usually save the podcast for my Monday morning commute but see it’s available on Spotify already... may have to give it a listen right now...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 15:26 - Feb 16 with 2642 viewsnoggin

A real tear jerker that. Honest, genuine and humble.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 16:25 - Feb 16 with 2554 viewsPendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1wjfH586Tzht9JnnGJRn1jy/10-things-we-l

5. A teacher at Turnham Primary School changed his life
Ian describes how he had a difficult time at school, finding it hard to concentrate until he met one particular teacher, Mr Pigden, the person Ian credits with changing his life: “I don’t know why he chose me but he did. He gave me responsibility, I used to collect the registers from the teachers, then they made me milk monitor. It was really good, I just felt important. He wouldn’t let me play football if he heard I’d been naughty in class. He just gave me a sense of feeling like I had some use… He was the greatest man in the world.” Ian dedicated his 2016 autobiography to Sydney Pigden.

Mum wasn’t really fussed. Maybe because I used to leave the house in my school uniform. And then get changed and go to work!
Mr Pigden repaid the compliment telling Ian that he was more proud when Ian made his England debut than his own flight over Buckingham Palace as a pilot to mark the end of the Second World War.

I live yards from Turnham, don't even need to cross a road to get there. My two youngest offspring went to Turnham. Yards the other direction is Rocastle Road, named after Wright's former team mate.

Another ex-pupil, less well known equally celebrated by the school
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Anthrobus

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 16:45 - Feb 16 with 2513 viewsLord_Lucan

I recently done his book.

Very good

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Login to get fewer ads

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 16:47 - Feb 16 with 2511 viewsvapour_trail

Live DID. And love Wright.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 22:33 - Feb 16 with 2289 viewssolemio

Yes, really moving . A tear came unbidden to my eye.

I just hope I had a good effect on pupils over my years in education at Junior School level.. Most teachers would surely want this or they wouldn't go into the profession.
Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 06:04 - Feb 17 with 2161 viewsChurchman

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 16:47 - Feb 16 by vapour_trail

Live DID. And love Wright.

Years ago, somebody who I worked with was doing Duke of Edinburgh’s.and part of it included raising money for Lions Hospice.To cut a long story short, by far the most helpful celeb contacted was Ian Wright who was at Arsenal at the time. He couldn’t have been more helpful, including giving up his time. Top bloke.
Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 16:28 - Feb 17 with 1955 viewsBloomBlue

I remember driving up to Suffolk for a Town game years ago and Wright did a weekly Sat radio show and they went to the news as normal and it was announced that David Rocastle had died. They went back to Wrighty and he was trying to speak but couldnt he just started crying and when he could finally speak you could tell how much Rocastle meant to him and his hero had died.
I think anyone listening to that show that day would have struggled not to have a lump in the throat.
Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 17:37 - Feb 17 with 1894 viewsbluelagos

Kin hell. That's some hard listening.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 17:39 - Feb 17 with 1890 viewschicoazul

Once upon a time I really hated Ian Wright. Who's laughing now eh!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 19:34 - Feb 17 with 1804 viewsRyorry

Desert Island Discs (R4) today on 22:33 - Feb 16 by solemio

Yes, really moving . A tear came unbidden to my eye.

I just hope I had a good effect on pupils over my years in education at Junior School level.. Most teachers would surely want this or they wouldn't go into the profession.

Having seen your posts on here over many years Solemio, I'd say it's a certainty that you did.

Amongst the many superb comments below the YouTube clip, there's one asking "why doesn't the Govt. use this clip in ads recruiting for the teaching profession?" - with which I entirely agree.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024