Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 16:44 - Feb 16 with 5388 viewsTommyparker

Leathal Brazil shatters the League leaders. He pounces after Katalinnic misjudges a high ball and nips in again from Steggles long ball. Assured finishing from a D'Avray nod-down and a Gates pass his nap hand. Meanwhile, Mills and Osman make crucial goal-line clearances. In the afternoon prior to the game Alan spent the afternoon in a Corals bookmaker. He should have been at home having a sleep but Alan received a very hot tip from Newmarket which he couldn't miss. Alan won 600.
Before his five-goal spree against Southampton, Alan had never scored a league hat-trick. For some weird reason he told John Wark in the dressing room before the Southampton that he was going to score a hat-trick. Alan didn't realise that between his fourth in the 70th minute and the last one, the match-ball had been booted out of the ground. A campaign was organised through the local paper to try and get it back. It turned up ten days later. Members of the groundstaff spent a couple of hours after the game and more time the following morning looking for it. Alan had his suspicions that it was acquired by a man whose son went on to play for the club and achieve international glory. The only blip in Alan happiness that night was that his young wife Jill wasn't at the match. It was the first home game she had missed that season.

Brazil 14,17,19,69,86
Southampton Puckett 43, Keegan 76
Town
Cooper
Burley
McCall
Mills
Osman
Steggles
Wark
Muhren
D'Avray
Gates
Brazil
Attendance 20,264
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 17:05 - Feb 16 with 5350 viewsFixed_It

I remember it well. Great night.
1-2-3-4-5
Brazil scoring all the time
(ala Tom Robinson Band )

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 17:08 - Feb 16 with 5345 viewsTractorgirlforever

Wow, it seems like only yesterday, i remember the headlines in the papers the next day something about alan brazil only scoring when the sun shines??
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 18:42 - Feb 16 with 5210 viewsFixed_It

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 17:05 - Feb 16 by Fixed_It

I remember it well. Great night.
1-2-3-4-5
Brazil scoring all the time
(ala Tom Robinson Band )

Edit: it was XTC - not Tom Robinson. I clearly remember the football better than the song!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 18:55 - Feb 16 with 5197 viewsmonty_radio

As I remember it virtually all, if not all the goals were Brazil breaking through from deep and finishing a one--on-one.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 19:16 - Feb 16 with 5165 viewsPJH

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 18:55 - Feb 16 by monty_radio

As I remember it virtually all, if not all the goals were Brazil breaking through from deep and finishing a one--on-one.

I think Mich D'Avray set most of them up for him and Alan Brazil missed out on a possible sixth goal by trying to set one up for D'Avray.
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 19:37 - Feb 16 with 5142 viewsBluespeed225

Eric Gates in dressing room after, ‘I thought they were all fcukin’ lucky’, as seen in ‘The first 90 minutes’ doc!
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 22:23 - Feb 16 with 5024 viewssolemio

I remember overtaking the Southampton coach going down the A12 after the game and saying it must seem quite a long way back to Southampton after an afternoon like that.
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 23:02 - Feb 16 with 4992 views66notout

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 22:23 - Feb 16 by solemio

I remember overtaking the Southampton coach going down the A12 after the game and saying it must seem quite a long way back to Southampton after an afternoon like that.

Wasn’t it a night game? Anyway, I recall it was and the interesting thing about AB was that it was often said he owed his success to the service he received from Arnold Muhren. It’s true that they had a tremendous understanding but on that particular evening Arnold was missing through injury. If AB had been playing on Saturday against Burton we’d have scored twice as many goals as we did. He’s still the best one-on-one player I ever saw.
Login to get fewer ads

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 06:42 - Feb 17 with 4903 viewsfergalsharkey

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 23:02 - Feb 16 by 66notout

Wasn’t it a night game? Anyway, I recall it was and the interesting thing about AB was that it was often said he owed his success to the service he received from Arnold Muhren. It’s true that they had a tremendous understanding but on that particular evening Arnold was missing through injury. If AB had been playing on Saturday against Burton we’d have scored twice as many goals as we did. He’s still the best one-on-one player I ever saw.

It was a night game, I was there.
Tuesdy night and yes he should have had 6.

Some rubbish spoke on here ....afternoon? Only scores when the sun shines?

Poppycock.

Poll: Cook out?

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 06:57 - Feb 17 with 4892 viewsTractorgirlforever

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 06:42 - Feb 17 by fergalsharkey

It was a night game, I was there.
Tuesdy night and yes he should have had 6.

Some rubbish spoke on here ....afternoon? Only scores when the sun shines?

Poppycock.

There was definitely a newspaper headline back then saying brazil only scores when the sun shines!, i didnt mean it was relating to that game, i was inferring how wrong it was!
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 (n/t) on 07:11 - Feb 17 with 4881 viewsfergalsharkey

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 06:57 - Feb 17 by Tractorgirlforever

There was definitely a newspaper headline back then saying brazil only scores when the sun shines!, i didnt mean it was relating to that game, i was inferring how wrong it was!

Brazil 5 Southampton 2 was a headline I recall.
[Post edited 17 Feb 2020 7:12]

Poll: Cook out?

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 07:43 - Feb 17 with 4843 viewssolemio

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 23:02 - Feb 16 by 66notout

Yes, you are of course correct. I was thinking of the 1974 game when we beat them even more comprehensively 7 - 0. That was when I overtook the Southampton team bus and had that not very profound thought!

My excuse for memory muddle is that my age is three quarters - of a century.

The only ITFC player in the same class as a one-on-one player was Marcus Stewart.
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 09:30 - Feb 18 with 4690 viewspatrickswell

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 07:43 - Feb 17 by solemio

Yes, you are of course correct. I was thinking of the 1974 game when we beat them even more comprehensively 7 - 0. That was when I overtook the Southampton team bus and had that not very profound thought!

My excuse for memory muddle is that my age is three quarters - of a century.

The only ITFC player in the same class as a one-on-one player was Marcus Stewart.

Sorry to be a pain, but that 7-0 win over Southampton was also played in the evening, a Saturday evening due to the 3-day week. In the same period, Town played Sheffield United on a midweek afternoon in the FA Cup.
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 09:34 - Feb 18 with 4673 viewsLord_Lucan

It was the only home game I missed that season!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 10:06 - Feb 18 with 4616 viewsBilly_Blue_boy

This was my first ever visit to Portman Rd, Standing on a milk crate in Churchman's, great memories.
On this day 1982 Alan Brazil 5 Southampton 2 on 11:45 - Feb 18 with 4568 viewsallezlesbleus

I'm sure he unselfishly set D'Avray up for 2, if not 3 which he could have easily have scored himself.

That was a top night at FPR.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024