Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? 18:22 - Feb 16 with 17510 viewsGeoffSentence

The sort that you'd have to pay hundreds of pounds a bottle in a restaurant or bar.

Does it taste noticeably better than a bottle of plonk you can get from your local supermarket?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:26 - Feb 16 with 7615 viewsDyland

Yes it does, if you're "into" wine. Total waste of money if you aren't primed and interested in what you're drinking. Wine is an expensive hobby basically. Possibly less damaging than coke and meth hobbies, but not by much all things considered :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:29 - Feb 16 with 7610 viewsMullet

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:26 - Feb 16 by Dyland

Yes it does, if you're "into" wine. Total waste of money if you aren't primed and interested in what you're drinking. Wine is an expensive hobby basically. Possibly less damaging than coke and meth hobbies, but not by much all things considered :)

I had a £40 bottle once. Was fairly tasty. In a restaurant I reckon it'd be pushing triple digits. I wouldn't even pay that for really nice bourbon.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:30 - Feb 16 with 7599 viewsfooters

For most mid-range wines I doubt there's too much difference. The bottles you're on about are either for true connoisseurs or oligarchs with small willies. Can you imagine spending thousands on a bottle of bloody plonk?!

That being said, there is a huge step up in quality from, say, a £10 bottle from Sainsbury's and a £20-30 bottle chosen from a vintner. But it's all about finding someone who'll help you pick what's right for you or what you're planning to eat.

Also, it's good to open your mind from what we have available here in the UK. I used to hate roses and sherry, but having found decent, non-sweet roses and dry sherries from Spain/Portugal has opened the old noggin a bit.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:32 - Feb 16 with 7586 viewsDyland

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:29 - Feb 16 by Mullet

I had a £40 bottle once. Was fairly tasty. In a restaurant I reckon it'd be pushing triple digits. I wouldn't even pay that for really nice bourbon.

Different strokes innix

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:34 - Feb 16 with 7566 viewsMullet

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:32 - Feb 16 by Dyland

Different strokes innix

I'd be gutted if Dr Pepper ever cost that much frankly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:45 - Feb 16 with 7534 viewsDyland

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:34 - Feb 16 by Mullet

I'd be gutted if Dr Pepper ever cost that much frankly.

Arf :)

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:51 - Feb 16 with 7509 viewscatch74

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:26 - Feb 16 by Dyland

I read an article somewhere about how money could have best been invested 50 years ago:
Gold 3rd (at that time)
Property 2nd
Wine (if you knew your stuff) best investment.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:53 - Feb 16 with 7491 viewsPecker

Depends if you are into your wines. Most would be ok with a £7-10 bottle I would imagine. It would certainly be wasted on me. I would begrudge paying that anyway. There must be better things to spend your money on.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:56 - Feb 16 with 7476 viewsDyland

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:51 - Feb 16 by catch74

I read an article somewhere about how money could have best been invested 50 years ago:
Gold 3rd (at that time)
Property 2nd
Wine (if you knew your stuff) best investment.

Sounds right for "lower" investments. Property by far the best performer on "higher" levels though.

One thing about fine wine is that there are no bargains around in the secondary sales market. Deffo beats inflation but you can't really pick up desirable wines for under their current market value, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is (highest end is rife with fakes).

For me it's all about finding nice and interesting stuff for drinking, now and over next ten or so years.

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:58 - Feb 16 with 7459 viewsStuartBrett8

I make my own, after the initial outlay on equipment it works out at around 50p a bottle.... and it is delicious so I guess I'm winning :)

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:01 - Feb 16 with 7446 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:53 - Feb 16 by Pecker

Depends if you are into your wines. Most would be ok with a £7-10 bottle I would imagine. It would certainly be wasted on me. I would begrudge paying that anyway. There must be better things to spend your money on.

I drink a fair bit of red and £7 is about as much as I would usually pay and I often dip below that.

a £100 bottle of wine would be wasted on me - although I wouldn't mind trying a glass just to see if I am missing something.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:05 - Feb 16 with 7421 viewsHARRY10

Yes, but I think the bottles were about £85 (I checked after)

The question is how much better it tasted as I diubt thos consuming it would have noticed the difference between a bottle half or twice the price.

Anything much above that is just a case of 'little willy syndrome' as I doubt ANYONE can tell the price by taste. So it is a case of self delusion that you are achieving something twhere the price has more importance than what is actually in the bottle

How much better is the cup of tea served at a Buckingham Palace tea garden than at your local fete ? Put the liquid from each in the same type of cup and drink it in your back garden and, as above, you would not know the difference.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:08 - Feb 16 with 7396 viewsOxford_Blue

Yes - I collect wine.

I’ve found that starting with a £15/20 bottle is a good way, then work your way up.

Most expensive i bought out was a bottle of 1988 Mouton Rothschild - £575, which was good value.

Worth every penny if you value the experience.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:11 - Feb 16 with 7365 viewsHARRY10

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 18:58 - Feb 16 by StuartBrett8

I make my own, after the initial outlay on equipment it works out at around 50p a bottle.... and it is delicious so I guess I'm winning :)

after the 4th (in one sitting) it probably is
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:11 - Feb 16 with 7371 viewsclive_baker

I did a vineyard tour on honeymoon in NZ. Got a bit p1ssed and the owner of the vineyard fed me with how difficult it was to run a family business etc. Paid about £90 for one of their premium bottles as a souvenir with a view to opening it on our 1st wedding anniversary. When we did it tasted like vinegar, had about 2 sips and moved on to beer. I like wine and I can tell a really bad bottle from an OK one but I definitely don't love it enough to justify paying any more than about £8 in a supermarket or £25 in a restaurant. In nice restaurants I do often wonder who is ordering the £300 bottles etc.

One of my ambitions in life is to get really rich, attend one of those really poncy, premium whiskey tasting events full of wealthy snobs, and just as we're about to sample the worlds most expensive and premium whisky, at £30,000 a bottle, I'll pull a can of Irn Bru out of my bag and add it as a mixer.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:13 - Feb 16 with 7362 viewsOxford_Blue

To answer your question - yes, classed growth claret (Bordeaux) with good age, will be a far more interesting, complex, intense, flavoursome and memorable bottle than a £7 bottle, not least because the first £5-6 of every bottle are costs of production etc.

Also matters obviously what you’re eating, and the company. A really good bottle on a special occasion with great food and company can enhance the experience a lot.

Like everything, there are exceptions but the market finds its level and you get what you pay for - just as driving a £90,000 Range Rover or Porsche will be a different experience than driving a £15,000 Ford.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:15 - Feb 16 with 7352 viewsWeekender

I’ve tried (but certainly not paid for- was a gift from a client) a first growth claret at £450 a bottle. It was good but not ‘that’ good. You could tell it had age and was a cut above but didn’t blow me away. Also tried a bottle at £180, that was very ordinary to me.

I like wine but they were probably both wasted on me.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:16 - Feb 16 with 7343 viewsHARRY10

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:08 - Feb 16 by Oxford_Blue

Yes - I collect wine.

I’ve found that starting with a £15/20 bottle is a good way, then work your way up.

Most expensive i bought out was a bottle of 1988 Mouton Rothschild - £575, which was good value.

Worth every penny if you value the experience.

seems rather like collecting 'hookers'

why wait ?
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:16 - Feb 16 with 7351 viewsNBVJohn

I enjoy wines and have a reasonable knowledge without claiming to be any kind of connoisseur. I was given a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1971 as a wedding present - it was worth about £400 (20 odd years ago). I was incredibly grateful and overwhelmed with the generosity of the person who gave it to me. It was one hell of a present.

As someone who had looked forward to tasting it, it was an experience I’ll never forget, and the wine was everything I had hoped it would be, but to give you some balance, those in the room with me included someone who had no interest who was completely indifferent, and another person who claimed they had tasted better., simply because they always had to make such claims.

Would I pay £400? No chance.
Am I glad I had the opportunity? Bloody right I am.

The point is, it’s only ever as good as you want it to be. If you have such a bottle, choose your drinking companions carefully! I doubt I’ll ever get a similar opportunity.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:18 - Feb 16 with 7324 viewsjeera

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:01 - Feb 16 by Lord_Lucan

I drink a fair bit of red and £7 is about as much as I would usually pay and I often dip below that.

a £100 bottle of wine would be wasted on me - although I wouldn't mind trying a glass just to see if I am missing something.

Again, I'd go with this.

I like my wine but I hardly tend to sip it daintily.

Regular usage is within the 7-8 quid mark and 10-12 when it comes to more of a treat or rather a specific meal.

Chatting to the owner of a popular local hotel a while ago about the Champagnes they sell and the popular mark seems to be in the £60s. They do one at around £85 which he said he thinks is vile.

Taste-wise he reckons a £20 from Waitrose is nicer, but he sells what people want to buy.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:30 - Feb 16 with 7287 viewsazuremerlangus

Yes, but remember that any vintage is finite so there is the question of supply and demand for a particular vintage/estate/producer. This obviously controls price (especially as each wine gets rarer as it is drunk over time).

In answer to your question for drinking rather than investment I wouldn't personally spend more than £100 a bottle as I think you are paying for rarity not taste.

I have had a Penfolds Grange '88 and '94 and both were pretty good, conversely, a Chateau Palmer '75 was a huge disappointment.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:42 - Feb 16 with 7250 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:16 - Feb 16 by NBVJohn

I enjoy wines and have a reasonable knowledge without claiming to be any kind of connoisseur. I was given a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild 1971 as a wedding present - it was worth about £400 (20 odd years ago). I was incredibly grateful and overwhelmed with the generosity of the person who gave it to me. It was one hell of a present.

As someone who had looked forward to tasting it, it was an experience I’ll never forget, and the wine was everything I had hoped it would be, but to give you some balance, those in the room with me included someone who had no interest who was completely indifferent, and another person who claimed they had tasted better., simply because they always had to make such claims.

Would I pay £400? No chance.
Am I glad I had the opportunity? Bloody right I am.

The point is, it’s only ever as good as you want it to be. If you have such a bottle, choose your drinking companions carefully! I doubt I’ll ever get a similar opportunity.

Indeed.

Pick your drinking audience wisely.

No point wasting £50-70 Burgundies on those who don’t have the pallette or who aren’t interested or passionate.

The trick though is actually to find good wine at more affordable prices. Anyone can spend a lot and get a top wine but those with real knowledge can get something for £15-17 that tastes like it’s worth five times that. Eg a New Zealand Pinot noir v a red burgundy
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:45 - Feb 16 with 7244 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:16 - Feb 16 by HARRY10

seems rather like collecting 'hookers'

why wait ?

Because you can’t tell the step up from a £7 to a £70/100 bottle if you don’t have the stepping stones and reference points in between.

Like starting with a ford focus then going straight to a Ferrari.

Sure, it will be great. But if you’ve driven a Z4, Porsche boxter, Aston Martin etc first then you’ll be well placed to judge the Ferrari in context and relative to the others.

With wine, especially older and powerful reds, they absolutely need food and red meat to come alive.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:49 - Feb 16 with 7238 viewsDarth_Koont

When you can mimic the same effect by just telling people a wine cost £50+ then it's probably wasted on the vast majority of us.

I remember I was going to wind up my step-father who was a huge French wine snob and give him a glass of Chilean instead. But he then spent 10 minutes telling me why this taste just couldn't be recreated in the New World. He went so over the top I didn't have the heart to burst his balloon.

Pronouns: He/Him

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:54 - Feb 16 with 7218 viewsLord_Lucan

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:49 - Feb 16 by Darth_Koont

When you can mimic the same effect by just telling people a wine cost £50+ then it's probably wasted on the vast majority of us.

I remember I was going to wind up my step-father who was a huge French wine snob and give him a glass of Chilean instead. But he then spent 10 minutes telling me why this taste just couldn't be recreated in the New World. He went so over the top I didn't have the heart to burst his balloon.

I love doing sh1t like that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024