Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? 18:22 - Feb 16 with 17509 viewsGeoffSentence

The sort that you'd have to pay hundreds of pounds a bottle in a restaurant or bar.

Does it taste noticeably better than a bottle of plonk you can get from your local supermarket?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 22:15 - Feb 17 with 705 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 20:12 - Feb 17 by HARRY10

As stated it is not an exact formula but perhaps a guide to the balance between price and return

Is a £100 bottle of wine ten times better than a £10 bottle ?

Much there depends upon what you actually bought the wine for.

I sip anout in what is often refred to as a poller skate (my car). If I am going on a long journey I will hire something bigger for that journey. Anyone who sees my car as a 'failure' is not that important to me. Nor would anybody who would be impressed if I drove about in a roller.

As Groucho Marx said of snobbery. "I wouldn't join a club that would have someone like me as a member"

So I wouldn't find common purpose with someone who thought spending hundreds of pounds on a bottle of wine was a worthwile action.

Again, why are you judging someone by their choice of buying an expensive bottle? You are assuming that the motivation is a bad one.

Many wine buffs really enjoy collecting and sharing fine wine from around the world with friends and it can really be enjoyable. Why dismiss them all and draw sweeping conclusions about them?
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 22:21 - Feb 17 with 692 viewsRadlett_blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 21:25 - Feb 17 by catch74

A few from my Whitbread days, Stella and old Piss-weak Heineken barrels accidentally swapped 22 gallons of each sold without a peep.
I did a pub relief once and came downstairs to see the kiwi assistant pouring all the left over white wines into one bottle - he said he did it every morning. Not one complaint.
Same guy put on a Bishop's Finger pump clip - I said we don’t have any - he said it was the badge the came to hand,didn’t know what beer he was actually putting on. I left him to it and no one mentioned anything - in fact I think one customer told him it was the best pint of B Finger he’d ever had.

Some people have tried blind tastings of red & white wines (at the same temperature) and plenty of them couldn't tell red from white.
Some years ago, 20 "experts" did blind tastings of vintage champagnes, ordinary champagne & some antipodean sparkling wines. They nearly all identified the vintage champagnes, but many of them preferred the New Zealand sparkling wines to the ordinary French champagnes.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 22:31 - Feb 17 with 681 viewsHARRY10

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 22:15 - Feb 17 by Oxford_Blue

Again, why are you judging someone by their choice of buying an expensive bottle? You are assuming that the motivation is a bad one.

Many wine buffs really enjoy collecting and sharing fine wine from around the world with friends and it can really be enjoyable. Why dismiss them all and draw sweeping conclusions about them?

Nope, that is you making up stuff again, I said nothing about them being bad,

All I said is that I would not find common purpose with them... or that type of mind set

Now why not reply rto what I actually say rather than keeping making stuff up ?
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 23:41 - Feb 17 with 657 viewsOxford_Blue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 22:31 - Feb 17 by HARRY10

Nope, that is you making up stuff again, I said nothing about them being bad,

All I said is that I would not find common purpose with them... or that type of mind set

Now why not reply rto what I actually say rather than keeping making stuff up ?

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say - to judge someone based on a bottle wine.

You’re a laughing stock on this board. Get lost. I’m ignoring you from now on. Back to your sixth form politics and by the way I wouldn’t ever worry about buying a £100 bottle of wine. Clearly you’ll never be able to afford it let alone appreciate it.
Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 16:39 - Feb 18 with 557 viewsBigManBlue

Anyone here tried really expensive wine? on 19:00 - Feb 17 by Lord_Lucan

Is it really? This could be the answer to stop me falling over.

What ratio is acceptable?

I go about 20% coke. As long as it's not more than half you should be good though.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024