Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight 12:57 - Feb 17 with 7097 viewsSteve_M

Looks like it will be worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fjqk

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 16:46 - Feb 17 with 2547 viewsIllinoisblue

The Auschwitz Memorial twitter feed is fascinating and horrifying at the same time. Does a good job of humanising what happened with names and history and photos.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 16:56 - Feb 17 with 2525 viewsmonytowbray

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 16:12 - Feb 17 by Dyland

Pretty sure he didn't mean it like that.

What he said.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 17:50 - Feb 17 with 2502 viewsClapham_Junction

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 16:46 - Feb 17 by Illinoisblue

The Auschwitz Memorial twitter feed is fascinating and horrifying at the same time. Does a good job of humanising what happened with names and history and photos.

I'd also strongly recommend a trip to Yad Vashem if people are in Jerusalem.

The room where they keep the boxes with all the victims' names in is quite something.
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 00:43 - Feb 18 with 2419 viewsChurchman

I did watch a chunk of the programme and will watch the rest tomorrow (had to go out). It’s a difficult watch, as it was always going to be, but important and worth it. I’ve never understood those who deny the holocaust. I still don’t.

What I do understand is that the Nazis were one of the most evil regimes in history. Hard to think of any that surpassed them really, though Stalins mob ran them close. It wasn’t only the extermination of the Jews, gypsies, mentally ill either. Millions were starved and/or starved and worked to death. By the end of the war there wasn’t a factory that didn’t use slave labour, including the likes of Hugo Boss.
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 07:41 - Feb 18 with 2371 viewsSteve_M

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 00:43 - Feb 18 by Churchman

I did watch a chunk of the programme and will watch the rest tomorrow (had to go out). It’s a difficult watch, as it was always going to be, but important and worth it. I’ve never understood those who deny the holocaust. I still don’t.

What I do understand is that the Nazis were one of the most evil regimes in history. Hard to think of any that surpassed them really, though Stalins mob ran them close. It wasn’t only the extermination of the Jews, gypsies, mentally ill either. Millions were starved and/or starved and worked to death. By the end of the war there wasn’t a factory that didn’t use slave labour, including the likes of Hugo Boss.

It was very good, very uncomfortable to watch at times but, I think, a very necessary programme. I'm really not sure that broadcasting the holocaust denier was the right thing to do, although it showed him up for the nasty fantasist he clearly is.

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 08:05 - Feb 18 with 2347 viewsChurchman

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 07:41 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

It was very good, very uncomfortable to watch at times but, I think, a very necessary programme. I'm really not sure that broadcasting the holocaust denier was the right thing to do, although it showed him up for the nasty fantasist he clearly is.

I missed the Holocaust denier. I’ll pick up on that later. As a principle, I believe in a democracy with freedom of speech, people like that should be heard as they will always expose themselves for exactly what they are. The same goes for extremists and people of hate that represent views including the likes of Robinson. They’ll always condemn themselves.

I always think of the reaction by the majority in this country to Mosley when he was making noise in the 30s, despite the hardships of the Depression. I’m not sure fascism (or communism) could take hold here as easily as in some places, fortunately, but given human nature, it’s something to always guard against.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 9:48]
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 09:47 - Feb 18 with 2291 viewsStokieBlue

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 16:01 - Feb 17 by noggin

With nothing more than gut feeling, I still think there was much more to 9/11 than was reported. I don't know why but I don't think we've been told the truth.

But without any evidence your gut feeling perpetuates the feelings that allow people to make wild and often racist claims.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 09:49 - Feb 18 with 2289 viewsStokieBlue

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 07:41 - Feb 18 by Steve_M

It was good but the denier was awful. Literally just trotted out nonsense after nonsense and then finished with songs about denying.

The mental gymnastics that some people go through to reach their denier conclusions is staggering.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 09:58 - Feb 18 with 2269 viewsCoastalblue

Watched it this morning, fascinating and at times horrifying watch. A lot of social media idiocy nicely summed up by the guy who obviously felt he had 'busted' Baddiel as a Jew on Facebook.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 10:12 - Feb 18 with 2242 viewsLord_Lucan

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 09:47 - Feb 18 by StokieBlue

But without any evidence your gut feeling perpetuates the feelings that allow people to make wild and often racist claims.

SB

What sort of racist claims Stokie?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 10:20 - Feb 18 with 2232 viewsStokieBlue

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 10:12 - Feb 18 by Lord_Lucan

What sort of racist claims Stokie?

Perhaps racist is the wrong term but there are various theories about Jewish groups including Israel being behind the attacks. People will use any small slither they can find to push their various agendas - hence the large number of different conspiracy theories around 9/11.

If it was obviously a conspiracy why are there so many different theories? If it's so obvious there should only be one. Any doubt just allows people to push their narratives.

SB

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 11:30 - Feb 18 with 2198 viewsr2d2

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 09:49 - Feb 18 by StokieBlue

It was good but the denier was awful. Literally just trotted out nonsense after nonsense and then finished with songs about denying.

The mental gymnastics that some people go through to reach their denier conclusions is staggering.

SB

Watched this morning. Thought David Baddiel made a very thought provoking documentary. How anyone can deny the holocaust is beyond me. But he found plenty out there, including the guy he interviewed. Who, l thought made a right tw@t of himself. The song, well, l wouldnt have given it air time, but can see why they kept it in. Showed what a complete numpty the guy was.
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 11:44 - Feb 18 with 2173 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Thanks for sharing. One of those programs I don't really want to watch but know I should so will make a point of doing so.

The more of us who are able to see where deniers are coming from and present rational arguments to address them, the more hope we can at least prevent others being sucked into their lies.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 13:04 - Feb 18 with 2117 viewsBent_double

Missed the last 10 minutes, but what I saw was very interesting, could have been a bit more in-depth, but as Baddiel said himself, he's no Loius Theroux!

The academics comments about the West Bank/Gaza being the place where you find most holocaust deniers (82%), but it's not so much denial, rather (as Baddiel put it), a 'f@@k you' to the Israelis for the situation over there, Palestinians see it as the only way they can get back at Israel.

I bet that idiot (Mulqueen?) wished he had stayed out of it now, he came across as a right muppet, his main argument being that Jewish people were angry with Europeans about the Holocaust, so they created the Holocaust in order to blame them for it...Eh? How does that work then?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 13:15 - Feb 18 with 2104 viewsCydonia

It was good.
Highlights the arrogance and sheer idiotic behavior of people who believe in conspiracy theories.

I enjoyed the moments after he met the idiot...

*Downs pint* "I don't normally drink"
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 13:37 - Feb 18 with 2068 viewsSteve_M

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 13:15 - Feb 18 by Cydonia

It was good.
Highlights the arrogance and sheer idiotic behavior of people who believe in conspiracy theories.

I enjoyed the moments after he met the idiot...

*Downs pint* "I don't normally drink"

I think then to follow that up by his meeting the Holocaust survivor did work as the contrast in the two people was even more marked.

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 13:38 - Feb 18 with 2066 viewseireblue

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 08:05 - Feb 18 by Churchman

I missed the Holocaust denier. I’ll pick up on that later. As a principle, I believe in a democracy with freedom of speech, people like that should be heard as they will always expose themselves for exactly what they are. The same goes for extremists and people of hate that represent views including the likes of Robinson. They’ll always condemn themselves.

I always think of the reaction by the majority in this country to Mosley when he was making noise in the 30s, despite the hardships of the Depression. I’m not sure fascism (or communism) could take hold here as easily as in some places, fortunately, but given human nature, it’s something to always guard against.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 9:48]

I don’t think preventing or criminalising people intentionally stating things that are untrue is necessarily repressing free speech.

The UK has laws covering libel and slander. People can be taken to court for saying untruths that cause damage.
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:12 - Feb 18 with 2037 viewsHARRY10

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 09:47 - Feb 18 by StokieBlue

SB

A gut feeling is a thought that what has been shown is not the full story so there 'may' be more.

What is thought to be a conspiracy theory' is where a definite explanation is offered up based on what 'may' have happened.

There is nothing wrong with having an open mind and questioning - something - that is the opposite to having a closed mind because you want something to be true.

I don't think the former assists the latter.
TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:31 - Feb 18 with 2026 viewsjaykay

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:41 - Feb 17 by HARRY10

aha, thanks

you must be new around here harry if you aren't then you must have missed all those posts when he gets stick for using it .

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:40 - Feb 18 with 2010 viewsStokieBlue

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:12 - Feb 18 by HARRY10

A gut feeling is a thought that what has been shown is not the full story so there 'may' be more.

What is thought to be a conspiracy theory' is where a definite explanation is offered up based on what 'may' have happened.

There is nothing wrong with having an open mind and questioning - something - that is the opposite to having a closed mind because you want something to be true.

I don't think the former assists the latter.

I'm not so sure about that. As Baddiel said on the programme, why does factually incorrect information get the protection of free-speech or the "open mind" paradigm?

If you applied your paradigm to something like anti-vax then having that "open mind" can directly lead to harm to someone.

Sometimes things are how they seem. It seems that many, many people don't want that to be the case though. It is right to question things that don't make sense, it's the questioning of things that make sense or that are factually correct which is a huge problem nowadays.

SB

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:45 - Feb 18 with 1999 viewschicoazul

Excellent programme. I am not sure about the juxtaposition of a comedian hosting it though which TBF Baddiel himself alludes to several times.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:57 - Feb 18 with 1976 viewsgiant_stow

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 13:04 - Feb 18 by Bent_double

Missed the last 10 minutes, but what I saw was very interesting, could have been a bit more in-depth, but as Baddiel said himself, he's no Loius Theroux!

The academics comments about the West Bank/Gaza being the place where you find most holocaust deniers (82%), but it's not so much denial, rather (as Baddiel put it), a 'f@@k you' to the Israelis for the situation over there, Palestinians see it as the only way they can get back at Israel.

I bet that idiot (Mulqueen?) wished he had stayed out of it now, he came across as a right muppet, his main argument being that Jewish people were angry with Europeans about the Holocaust, so they created the Holocaust in order to blame them for it...Eh? How does that work then?

Maybe it's just me but I almost felt that the denier bloke was a denier initially at least, for the best of reasons: That he couldn't comprehend the scale of the holocaust - his brain just couldn.t cope. So the only way for him personally to process the enormity of the event was to deny it happened. Then we meet him well down the line on this show when he’s had time to build on and harden his ideas.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 15:10 - Feb 18 with 1959 viewsSteve_M

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 14:57 - Feb 18 by giant_stow

Maybe it's just me but I almost felt that the denier bloke was a denier initially at least, for the best of reasons: That he couldn't comprehend the scale of the holocaust - his brain just couldn.t cope. So the only way for him personally to process the enormity of the event was to deny it happened. Then we meet him well down the line on this show when he’s had time to build on and harden his ideas.

You're too generous here Ulla.

Anyone who starts an argument about six million murders by looking at the minutiae of how many bodies a crematorium can burn is doing so in bad faith. It's akin to people who latch on to youtube videos giving disproportionate weight to minor inconsistencies in published accounts.

TV Heads Up: David Baddiel on Holocaust Denial on BBC tonight on 08:02 - Mar 3 with 1584 viewsWeWereZombies

Just caught up with this on the iPlayer and Baddiel, as ever, manages to balance even-handedness, emotion and pertinent facts in an engaging, if at times distressing study. It has sixteen days left for anyone who has not yet watched it.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024