Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? 17:46 - Feb 17 with 7369 viewsAsh1987

I would say yes. To win the amount of games they have is incredible, champions league and world cup champions and runaway premiership leaders.

They are a very special team. Better than the Arsenal invincibles. Better than Man Utd's 08 team.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:48 - Feb 17 with 5287 viewschicoazul

No. They are playing in a particularly poor Premier League this season and got lucky playing Spurs in the final last year (although they did of course do very well getting past Barca). They don't play particularly wonderful football either from what I can tell.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:50 - Feb 17 with 5271 viewshoppy

Better than Portsmouth?

(you pretty much always manage to mention them when posting, after all)

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:50 - Feb 17 with 5262 viewsbluelagos

They have the potential to be so, but need to maybe win the league 3 years on the bounce to be considered thus.

Or maybe if they win the European and FA Cups this year - that would make them the most successful in a season...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:53 - Feb 17 with 5243 viewsfooters

Not as good as Ipswich in 81.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:56 - Feb 17 with 5214 viewsNthQldITFC

Probably. To win 25 out of 26 games this season and draw the other, in what is probably overall the most competitive league in the world is an incredible achievement.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:10 - Feb 17 with 5168 viewsDoctor_Earman

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:56 - Feb 17 by NthQldITFC

Probably. To win 25 out of 26 games this season and draw the other, in what is probably overall the most competitive league in the world is an incredible achievement.

No. The PL is far from as competitive as people make out.

Man Utd are a million miles from what they were only a decade ago. Chelsea have a transfer embargo and are a team in transition (e.g. Lampard as manager and using young players). Arsenal have been perennial underachievers for years, and Spurs haven't won anything since 2008. Leicester are a good side but are no where near the quality of Liverpool. That leaves Man City as Liverpool's only real competition.

Basically, Liverpool's purple patch has coincided with the decline of previous big guns Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. That, combined with good management and recruitment have meant Liverpool have been able to steamroll past opponents without too much of a problem.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:18 - Feb 17 with 5144 viewshoppy

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:10 - Feb 17 by Doctor_Earman

Man Utd are a million miles from what they were only a decade ago. Chelsea have a transfer embargo and are a team in transition (e.g. Lampard as manager and using young players). Arsenal have been perennial underachievers for years, and Spurs haven't won anything since 2008. Leicester are a good side but are no where near the quality of Liverpool. That leaves Man City as Liverpool's only real competition.

Basically, Liverpool's purple patch has coincided with the decline of previous big guns Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. That, combined with good management and recruitment have meant Liverpool have been able to steamroll past opponents without too much of a problem.

"That leaves Man City as Liverpool's only real competition"

That may be only short-term, if their appeal is rejected - how many of their star names will be wanting to kick their heels not playing European football for 2 years and stay at Citeh?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:22 - Feb 17 with 5130 viewsDoctor_Earman

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:18 - Feb 17 by hoppy

"That leaves Man City as Liverpool's only real competition"

That may be only short-term, if their appeal is rejected - how many of their star names will be wanting to kick their heels not playing European football for 2 years and stay at Citeh?

Good point.
Login to get fewer ads

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:57 - Feb 17 with 5054 viewsPecker

I would say yes. (through gritted teeth).
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 23:11 - Feb 17 with 4856 viewsvapour_trail

Carragher and Keane have just been picking a combined team from Liverpool 20 and Manu 99.

Carragher only put four Liverpool players in the XI, VVD, TAA, Mane and Salah.

Keane only put VVD in.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 23:21 - Feb 17 with 4836 viewsSuffolktractor

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 23:11 - Feb 17 by vapour_trail

Carragher and Keane have just been picking a combined team from Liverpool 20 and Manu 99.

Carragher only put four Liverpool players in the XI, VVD, TAA, Mane and Salah.

Keane only put VVD in.

They are a decent side, but at the moment no where near, the United teams that Fergie built, or the Arsenal sides built in Wengers early years.
Going back further, they have a long way to go to match ITFC of 1981, and obviously the Liverpool teams with Rush and Keegan etc.
Going back even further they are not a patch on the Leeds Utd under Revie or the Notts Forest under Clough.
Thinking about it I don’t think they are even as good as Man City were last season.
But at least it gives BBC a chance to wet themselves relentlessly with their love for them. I listened on radio 5 the other night after they beat the scum and the reporter was having an orgasm about they not only beat Norwich but they beat Storm Dennis as well! Tossers!!
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 00:08 - Feb 18 with 4781 viewsIPS_wich

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 23:21 - Feb 17 by Suffolktractor

They are a decent side, but at the moment no where near, the United teams that Fergie built, or the Arsenal sides built in Wengers early years.
Going back further, they have a long way to go to match ITFC of 1981, and obviously the Liverpool teams with Rush and Keegan etc.
Going back even further they are not a patch on the Leeds Utd under Revie or the Notts Forest under Clough.
Thinking about it I don’t think they are even as good as Man City were last season.
But at least it gives BBC a chance to wet themselves relentlessly with their love for them. I listened on radio 5 the other night after they beat the scum and the reporter was having an orgasm about they not only beat Norwich but they beat Storm Dennis as well! Tossers!!

I personally think that Liverpool c87-89 with Barnes, Houghton, Beardsley and Aldridge is their best team - a shame that their fans had ensured that team wouldn't get to play in Europe. Their 5-0 thrashing of Nottm Forest (who were second at the time) was as close to the most perfect performance I've ever seen.

Such a shame Barnes couldn't replicate his club form for England - there were times that season when he was unplayable.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 00:51 - Feb 18 with 4743 viewsChurchman

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 00:08 - Feb 18 by IPS_wich

I personally think that Liverpool c87-89 with Barnes, Houghton, Beardsley and Aldridge is their best team - a shame that their fans had ensured that team wouldn't get to play in Europe. Their 5-0 thrashing of Nottm Forest (who were second at the time) was as close to the most perfect performance I've ever seen.

Such a shame Barnes couldn't replicate his club form for England - there were times that season when he was unplayable.

Nearly as good as ITFCs 6-0 hammering of Man Utd in 1980 when they were in the top two, if memory serves me right.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 02:06 - Feb 18 with 4706 viewsIPS_wich

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 00:51 - Feb 18 by Churchman

Nearly as good as ITFCs 6-0 hammering of Man Utd in 1980 when they were in the top two, if memory serves me right.

Probably - those were the days - but I was only 4 years old in 1980 so sadly can't recall.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 03:45 - Feb 18 with 4673 viewslmfcblue

no
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 06:28 - Feb 18 with 4603 viewsEly_Blue

I think it’s all around them being the best TEAM, they might not have the true superstars like a Ronald or a Messi or the like but they have a team which is the sum of its parts and they seem to be in that perfect storm of their form all coming together at the same time

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 10:18 - Feb 18 with 4417 viewsdirtyboy

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:10 - Feb 17 by Doctor_Earman

You could quite easily flip that and say similar about any of those aformentioned teams and their comparative competition at the time.

Irrespective of your comments, City's squad is assembled at huge cost and the players in the Premier League across the entire teams have, by and large, improved since 2008 when you talk about United.

Spurs, Arsenal and City are credible opponents, but Klopp has set the bar far in excess of any of those and given the resources of these clubs, that should not be underestimated.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 10:23 - Feb 18 with 4405 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Valdes
Dani Alves - Pique - Puyol - Abidal
Xavi - Busquetes - Iniesta
Messi - Villa - Pedro

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 10:59 - Feb 18 with 4357 viewsBiGDonnie

I think so. They've dominated everything for the past season and a half.It's also difficult to see who's going to beat them...

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:10 - Feb 18 with 4341 viewsitfcjoe

You could easily make a case for it, plus the Man City team over the last couple of seasons - both have sustained nearly perfect PL form for what will be two full seasons, something that has never been done for 1 season previously.

Man City - 2017-2019 - P76, PPG 2.6, GD +151
Liverpool - 2018-2020 - P64 - PPG 2.7 GD +113

Those records would be impressive to keep up for half a season, let alone 2 seasons.

Double that up with Liverpool's record in the European trophies and World trophies and it will be a team that will be hard to top - if they go on and win the European Cup this year then will be hard to argue.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:22 - Feb 18 with 4317 viewsBiGDonnie

Where does the idea that this Premier League isn't as competitive come from? It get's stronger year on year IMO.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:43 - Feb 18 with 4288 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I would probably say the City team last year is better. Played better football for me.

It is close though, and if they clean up all the trophies, i think it would edge them.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:53 - Feb 18 with 4253 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:22 - Feb 18 by BiGDonnie

Where does the idea that this Premier League isn't as competitive come from? It get's stronger year on year IMO.

Very few leagues contain more than 2 or 3 teams that can realistically win the league over any 5 year period. The Premier League has rarely been won by fewer than 3 teams over any 5 year period. If you look at the number of different teams that win the Premier League it must be far in excess of pretty much any other league in the world. It is definitely one of, if not, the most competitive league in the world.

As for comparing one team from one year with another and how good they are, it is nigh on impossible. Liverpool over the past two seasons have been phenomenal (and yet didn't even win the Premier League last season - that's how competitive it is). There are no teams that are consistently pushovers either. Look how rock-bottom Norwich gave Liverpool a game the other day. Yes, Leicester can put 9 past Southampton but they go and beat them at their place too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:57 - Feb 18 with 4246 viewsDoctor_Earman

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:22 - Feb 18 by BiGDonnie

''Getting stronger'' and ''being competitive'' are not the same thing. For example, La Liga has got stronger over the years but is not exactly competitive given the near total domination of Barcelona and Real Madrid. The Premier League is a little better in this regard, in that it has more varied champions. However, there are only usually 2 (of the usual 'big six') teams who are seriously in the running for the title in any given season. This year Liverpool are absolutely running away with it, as did Man City in 17/18. This illustrates how the PL really isn't as competitive as people make out.
lollers on 11:58 - Feb 18 with 4244 viewsDyland

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:48 - Feb 17 by chicoazul

No. They are playing in a particularly poor Premier League this season and got lucky playing Spurs in the final last year (although they did of course do very well getting past Barca). They don't play particularly wonderful football either from what I can tell.

You've been smoking too much meth buh ;)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024