Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? 17:46 - Feb 17 with 7286 viewsAsh1987

I would say yes. To win the amount of games they have is incredible, champions league and world cup champions and runaway premiership leaders.

They are a very special team. Better than the Arsenal invincibles. Better than Man Utd's 08 team.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 12:13 - Feb 18 with 2042 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 11:57 - Feb 18 by Doctor_Earman

''Getting stronger'' and ''being competitive'' are not the same thing. For example, La Liga has got stronger over the years but is not exactly competitive given the near total domination of Barcelona and Real Madrid. The Premier League is a little better in this regard, in that it has more varied champions. However, there are only usually 2 (of the usual 'big six') teams who are seriously in the running for the title in any given season. This year Liverpool are absolutely running away with it, as did Man City in 17/18. This illustrates how the PL really isn't as competitive as people make out.

If it wasn't competitive you would be able to have real confidence in who was going to win it before any season kicked off. Whilst many thought Liverpool may well do it this season, I doubt there were many more saying they would than would have predicted Man City or even Tottenham.

Liverpool have continued to accumulate points at a phenomenal rate but most teams have given them a game. How many times have they clearly won a game before an hour has gone?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 14:04 - Feb 18 with 2005 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 18:18 - Feb 17 by hoppy

"That leaves Man City as Liverpool's only real competition"

That may be only short-term, if their appeal is rejected - how many of their star names will be wanting to kick their heels not playing European football for 2 years and stay at Citeh?

Most of them i would've thought - they are almost at the end of a cycle in terms of the team and their 'superstars' basically Aguero and Sterling at this point - are unlikely to go anywhere i wouldn't of thought. I would not surprised to see most of the team stay together.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:57 - Feb 18 with 1977 viewsGarv

They win games in a special way. Not sure about the best ever. Best in my lifetime is probably Pep's Barca.

I've not seen teams blow others away in one half of football like they they did Man City in the Champions League, possibly the year before last. That's just one example too.

Proper team not made up of superstars either, bar maybe Van Dijk and Allison. Their midfielders are hardly household names, Mane was at Southampton, Salah failed at Chelsea.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

lollers on 18:05 - Feb 18 with 1971 viewschicoazul

lollers on 11:58 - Feb 18 by Dyland

You've been smoking too much meth buh ;)

Come on. Man City have spent 2/3 of the season playing Fernandinho or that other little fella in defence, Chelsea haven't bought anyone, Spurs fired their Manager after he went a bit mad, Man U are useless. Liverpool have no competitors this year and as I say, from what I can tell their football is nothing particularly special.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 19:18 - Feb 18 with 1949 viewsDoctor_Earman

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 12:13 - Feb 18 by Nthsuffolkblue

If it wasn't competitive you would be able to have real confidence in who was going to win it before any season kicked off. Whilst many thought Liverpool may well do it this season, I doubt there were many more saying they would than would have predicted Man City or even Tottenham.

Liverpool have continued to accumulate points at a phenomenal rate but most teams have given them a game. How many times have they clearly won a game before an hour has gone?

It's largely irrelevant when they score their goals. Look at the great Man Utd sides under Sir Alex and all the late goals they scored that took them to title after title (e.g. Fergie time). I knew it would be either Liverpool or Man City that would win the title this season due to the reasons I have previously mentioned. Of course there may be some outliers (e.g. Leicester's miracle season), but apart from those rare instances the PL is pretty predictable year on year.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 19:37 - Feb 18 with 1930 viewsJDB23

Are you only talking about England?

Mid to late 00s Barcelona are the greatest side to ever exist.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:39 - Feb 18 with 1913 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 19:18 - Feb 18 by Doctor_Earman

It's largely irrelevant when they score their goals. Look at the great Man Utd sides under Sir Alex and all the late goals they scored that took them to title after title (e.g. Fergie time). I knew it would be either Liverpool or Man City that would win the title this season due to the reasons I have previously mentioned. Of course there may be some outliers (e.g. Leicester's miracle season), but apart from those rare instances the PL is pretty predictable year on year.

I look forward to you telling me with 100% confidence who will win it next season before the end of August then or is it obvious already? How many consecutive titles will Liverpool win? You "knew" it would be one of those two this season and yet you didn't know it would be Leicester? Did you "know" Sheffield United would be challenging for the top 5? Did you "know" Tottenham would be nowhere to be seen?

Without the outliers there are always at least two sides with a very good chance of winning it and it would not be a major shock for one or two others either. Your argument about Man Utd just confirms mine that it always has been competitive even with fantastic teams like them. If it hadn't been competitive they wouldn't have needed to leave it so late so often.

I would imagine in Scotland, Holland and many other continental leagues there are many games that are all over before an hour has gone because the opposition isn't up to it - that is what a league that is not competitive looks like.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:47 - Feb 18 with 1905 viewsmanchego

Don't be daft.
Even in English football that would be a massive stretch.

In Europe it's not even close.

Ipswich 81 would give them a game.
Login to get fewer ads

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:51 - Feb 18 with 1898 viewsnoggin

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:47 - Feb 18 by manchego

Don't be daft.

Ipswich 81 were the last great side that wasn’t bankrolled. Change my mind.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:53 - Feb 18 with 1889 viewsitfcjoe

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:47 - Feb 18 by manchego

Don't be daft.

They’ve got the best top flight record of any team in history of the big 5 European leagues after 26 games - why shouldn’t they be spoken about as one of the best ever? Especially as reigning European champions and current World champions

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 21:12 - Feb 18 with 1867 viewsvapour_trail

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:53 - Feb 18 by itfcjoe

They’ve got the best top flight record of any team in history of the big 5 European leagues after 26 games - why shouldn’t they be spoken about as one of the best ever? Especially as reigning European champions and current World champions

World champions means fck all. It’s a Mickey Mouse trophy.

I saw today that they’re the first club qualified for next years CL. In Feb before this years knock out stages have started, thought that was quite impressive.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 21:27 - Feb 18 with 1844 viewsjimsymBLUE

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 20:51 - Feb 18 by noggin

Ipswich 81 were the last great side that wasn’t bankrolled. Change my mind.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/022d-0e9c68778f21-316dc56ce8fd-100

Poll: Who is the better contributor to this site?

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 22:05 - Feb 18 with 1814 viewsjaykay

real madrid with di stefano , puskas, gento , santamaria etc would take some beating

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 22:11 - Feb 18 with 1810 viewsBloomBlue

No, they didn't have a single shot on target tonight against Madrid, the best club side ever would.
Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 22:21 - Feb 18 with 1795 viewsLord_Lucan

I wouldn't even say they were the best Liverpool side ever.

People get too hung up on the supposed quality of The Premier League - or Premiership - or whatever it's branded as this year.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 22:51 - Feb 18 with 1770 viewsbournemouthblue

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 17:48 - Feb 17 by chicoazul

No. They are playing in a particularly poor Premier League this season and got lucky playing Spurs in the final last year (although they did of course do very well getting past Barca). They don't play particularly wonderful football either from what I can tell.

The top sides are weaker than the days of the 'big four' but I'd argue the lesser sides are stronger than usual so it is swings and roundabouts

They're currently on for a Football Manageresque finish in terms of points total, even if you'd built a super side with all the world's best players, you'd do well to match their current Premier League performance and that's in a computer game!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 09:51 - Feb 19 with 1694 viewsmanchego

Are this Liverpool team the best club side ever? on 22:05 - Feb 18 by jaykay

real madrid with di stefano , puskas, gento , santamaria etc would take some beating

And the Cruyff Ajax, the Muller / Beckenbauer Bayern, and the Gullitt AC Milan, , and Pep's Barca, and the Madrid that just won 4 out of 5 (?) CL cups,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024