Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The answer seems pretty simple to me 20:25 - Feb 17 with 2364 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

A free application should be made by all people 16 and over to the government for an online ID similar to a driving licence number which needs to be entered and verified on each social media platform, online account and so on.

That way everybody can be held accountable for what they say online. Children prone to abuse and bullying and so on must wait until they are old enough. It allows the proper policing of social media accounts where permanent bans can be issued by the platforms themselves for continued breaches or serious offences.

Individuals will then have to be careful what they say online in the same manner they would act to peoples faces or run the risk of action being taken. It’s the only way to get some control over the monster that’s been created.

The internet is a wonderful thing but in its infancy it’s allowed too much evil to prevail. The platforms aren’t interested and the police can’t possibly police it as it is. Such a measure that revolves around an individuals real life identity is the way forward. It can still be an anonymous user online but with them knowing that they can face repercussions.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:33 - Feb 17 with 2310 viewsLankHenners

What an absolutely terrible idea.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:38 - Feb 17 with 2294 viewsHARRY10

blimey that could kill it off over night !
The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:48 - Feb 17 with 2254 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:33 - Feb 17 by LankHenners

What an absolutely terrible idea.

Why?

You need your own name to buy a house, have a bank account or drive a car.

Social media is getting to the stage where people need to be held accountable. This is one way. No reason why Zuckerberg needs your details but a central organisation could hold your details and provide an ID that you then register.

What’s the alternative? Let people say whatever they want to people as invisible entities? You can’t say these things in the street without being arrested. Why should you be able to hide behind a keyboard and do it?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:54 - Feb 17 with 2227 viewsPlums

Have you seen how difficult single sign on is to manage in one organisation? Imagine it across companies and countries which is what you’re advocating. Sorry, not a chance.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 21:00 - Feb 17 with 2208 viewsLankHenners

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:48 - Feb 17 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Why?

Social media is getting to the stage where people need to be held accountable. This is one way. No reason why Zuckerberg needs your details but a central organisation could hold your details and provide an ID that you then register.

What’s the alternative? Let people say whatever they want to people as invisible entities? You can’t say these things in the street without being arrested. Why should you be able to hide behind a keyboard and do it?

Ignoring the impracticality of all that...

Who polices it? Who decides what counts as ban-worthy? How will they differentiate between genuine hateful messages and jokes between friends? These are the problems Twitter, e.g., has already. ID won't solve that, all it would do is provide an extra, unnecessary data protection risk.

None of the things you've listed are comparable, and you have to provide something basic like a phone number or email address to sign up now anyway.

Unfortunately people are always going to say mean things, what needs to improve is people's attitudes which is a societal change and social media companies need to invest in improving their systems for dealing with such things.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 23:00 - Feb 17 with 2104 viewsEwan_Oozami

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:54 - Feb 17 by Plums

Have you seen how difficult single sign on is to manage in one organisation? Imagine it across companies and countries which is what you’re advocating. Sorry, not a chance.

APIs - look at how many things you can use your Google or Facebook id to get into nowadays - a data information disaster waiting to happen...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 07:16 - Feb 18 with 2000 viewsTractorWood

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 20:48 - Feb 17 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Why?

We currently have numerous laws under which one could seek recourse for offence. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theweek.co.uk/97552/hate-speech-vs-free-speech-

I'd argue we should go the other way and go full US free speech. It's a radical mindset change but I think Britain would benefit in the long term.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 07:29 - Feb 18 with 1972 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 07:16 - Feb 18 by TractorWood

We currently have numerous laws under which one could seek recourse for offence. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theweek.co.uk/97552/hate-speech-vs-free-speech-

I'd argue we should go the other way and go full US free speech. It's a radical mindset change but I think Britain would benefit in the long term.

You think that AFTER seeing what America has become?????

Login to get fewer ads

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 07:32 - Feb 18 with 1966 viewsDanTheMan

If you enforce login via a real life account, how do businesses communicate with each other, among the many, many other connected parts of the internet?

How do you stop the potentially incredibly serious abuse for a Government agent who could access everything you've ever said online, including criticism of said Government?

Who can see these logins?

This is not a "simple" idea you're proposing. The infrastructure needed alone would be pretty massive.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 07:39 - Feb 18 with 1949 viewsWeWereZombies

You have obviously thought about this answer but could you think on what the exact question is that you are asking?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 08:09 - Feb 18 with 1892 viewsGeoffSentence

That would be another,very big, step on the march towards a surveillance society.

You are Xi Jinping and I claim my five pounds.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 08:11 - Feb 18 with 1890 viewsitfcjoe

Any supposed simple solution to a complex problem will invariably make things worse

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 08:45 - Feb 18 with 1847 viewsGuthrum

Given most socal media is based and/or hosted abroad, how do you enforce such a scheme - short of blocking external sites, as the Chinese do.

Social media lessons in school might be more effective. Or give people more meaning to their lives than the self-centered bantz-search for lols and likes on the internet.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 8:48]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 08:49 - Feb 18 with 1825 viewsGuthrum

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 23:00 - Feb 17 by Ewan_Oozami

APIs - look at how many things you can use your Google or Facebook id to get into nowadays - a data information disaster waiting to happen...

Given it is a government scheme it would a) not work; and b) lose the data (either irretrievably or to someone else).

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 09:02 - Feb 18 with 1800 viewsGuthrum

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 07:29 - Feb 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You think that AFTER seeing what America has become?????

It has only really exposed what people are actually like. There is no moral imperative in society to be nice to others*. Nor any real encouragement to do so. Isolated and frustrated people, constantly told to be angry, are lashing out at anyone within reach.

* Even Christianity in the US has largely abandoned that side of its message in favour of extreme social conservatism.

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 10:53 - Feb 18 with 1705 viewsJakeITFC

Yes, I agree that anonymous posts on the internet should be stopped WarkTheWarkITFC.
The answer seems pretty simple to me on 11:01 - Feb 18 with 1692 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 10:53 - Feb 18 by JakeITFC

Yes, I agree that anonymous posts on the internet should be stopped WarkTheWarkITFC.

That would be really hilarious is everyone on here didn’t already know I was called Dan anyway.

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 11:13 - Feb 18 with 1668 viewsGeoffSentence

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 11:01 - Feb 18 by WarkTheWarkITFC

That would be really hilarious is everyone on here didn’t already know I was called Dan anyway.

I didn't

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 11:25 - Feb 18 with 1639 viewsMookamoo

Berners Lee is trying to fix things. https://contractfortheweb.org/

I think this was a reaction to the personal privacy breakdowns, but could be tweaked to fix online abuse.

From what i understand, he advocates each user has control their personal data and allows platforms access to it at the user's discretion. It's not too much to ask that the platform is then allowed real world information on the user to prevent abuse. Seems a fair trade for a 'free' service.
The answer seems pretty simple to me on 12:09 - Feb 18 with 1568 viewsWeWereZombies

The answer seems pretty simple to me on 11:13 - Feb 18 by GeoffSentence

I didn't

Neither did I...Geoff

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024