Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Diego Simeone? 22:16 - Feb 18 with 5868 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

In the best 3 managers in the world active right now.

Discuss
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 22:16]

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Diego Simeone? on 23:24 - Feb 18 with 1446 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Diego Simeone? on 23:16 - Feb 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I can't see Diego being able to achieve what Wilder has achieved with the same resources.

But that's the point really, managers don't have level playing field so it's hard to tell. At the moment all you can probably say is that Klopp is in the lead.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 23:17]

Simeone has:
2 European Cups
2 European Super Cups
2 Domestic Spanish Cups
1 Spanish La Liga Trophy

Wilder has:
1 promotion from League 2
1 promotion from League 1
1 promotion from the Championship

Whilst I understand context of the clubs has to be taken into account, I don’t see a comparison in terms of levels yet.

Having said that, I like Wilder, an unbelievable job he is doing, and hope and thoroughly deserve to be given a chance at bigger European club in the future, to see how he would fare.

Diego Simeone? on 23:29 - Feb 18 with 1449 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Diego Simeone? on 23:24 - Feb 18 by TheTrueBlue1878

Simeone has:
2 European Cups
2 European Super Cups
2 Domestic Spanish Cups
1 Spanish La Liga Trophy

Wilder has:
1 promotion from League 2
1 promotion from League 1
1 promotion from the Championship

Whilst I understand context of the clubs has to be taken into account, I don’t see a comparison in terms of levels yet.

Having said that, I like Wilder, an unbelievable job he is doing, and hope and thoroughly deserve to be given a chance at bigger European club in the future, to see how he would fare.

Most of what simeone has won has been secondary trophies as evidenced in the list. Hes done that with one of Europe's most historic clubs across a 10 year period. Par for the course almost. You would maybe rank Unai Emery above him on that basis.

Wilder has gone from League one to 5th in the Prem in 3 seasons. I just can't see Diego being capable of that.

I threw wilder in there as a bit of devil's advocate, because I don't think you can really rank managers. He'll never get a big job as his face doesn't fit.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2020 23:30]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Diego Simeone? on 00:13 - Feb 19 with 1426 viewsDoctor_Earman

I'd probably have him here.
Diego Simeone? on 06:27 - Feb 19 with 1368 viewsFtnfwest

Diego Simeone? on 22:39 - Feb 18 by TheTrueBlue1878

3 better?

Guardiola, ancellotti, McCarthy
Diego Simeone? on 07:10 - Feb 19 with 1352 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Diego Simeone? on 23:04 - Feb 18 by TheTrueBlue1878

I think any major trophy is credible for a manager to be honest. Certainly lost his mojo though, hope he can re kindle it for the benefit of the game, but seems to have fell out of love since Chelsea. Doesn’t look the same.

Re Wilder - to be in the top 3 in the world, you have to be in Europeans elite though, Wilder is doing a remarkable job at Sheffield United, but he just doesn’t enter the conversation right now.

Tend to agree with MM here, comparing managers across different levels is futile as the requirements are completely different

Pep is an unbelievable manager clearly, however if he was to take charge of a club in League One then it’s likely he’d struggle to implement a similar style of play due to the incredible level of fitness and intelligence needed from his players. Similarly, Wilder’s efforts at Sheffield United have been incredible but that doesn’t mean he’d necessarily succeed managing the best players in the world and with expectations to match

Similarly it could be argued that managing a club slightly below the elite suits Simeone, and question whether his methods would work at one of the truly elite sides

That’s absolutely not a knock on either of them - and of course it’s quite possible that any of them could adapt if ever managing a club in a different situation

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Diego Simeone? on 07:13 - Feb 19 with 1352 viewsblueconscience

Liverpool just weren’t very good, much like their performance against the scum.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Diego Simeone? on 07:36 - Feb 19 with 1341 viewsTractorCam

Diego Simeone? on 22:43 - Feb 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Klopp
Guardiola
Wilder
Jose
Zidane
Lambert

Conte

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Diego Simeone? on 07:44 - Feb 19 with 1338 viewsGluedtoBlue

Wilder has done a sensational job at Sheffield United but Burley achieved similar with Ipswich in our first season up in the Prem.

I love Burley but we all know what happened next and not in a million years would he be near a 'best manager in the world' conversation. Wilder is the same; I suspect you'll never see him at a big big club.

Ps - the fact anyone questions Mourinho is laughable. Even at Man Utd he achieved better results than anyone post Fergie. The mistake United made was not backing him; not necessarily financially - although he wanted to sign Maguire 12 months before they did for less money and Woodward wouldn't do the deal (reportedly) - but with regards to the Pogba situation; the man has obvious quality but he's a poison apple and he's proved it again under Solskjaer after initially upping his game.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Login to get fewer ads

Diego Simeone? on 08:50 - Feb 19 with 1313 viewsWeWereZombies

Diego Simeone? on 07:44 - Feb 19 by GluedtoBlue

Wilder has done a sensational job at Sheffield United but Burley achieved similar with Ipswich in our first season up in the Prem.

I love Burley but we all know what happened next and not in a million years would he be near a 'best manager in the world' conversation. Wilder is the same; I suspect you'll never see him at a big big club.

Ps - the fact anyone questions Mourinho is laughable. Even at Man Utd he achieved better results than anyone post Fergie. The mistake United made was not backing him; not necessarily financially - although he wanted to sign Maguire 12 months before they did for less money and Woodward wouldn't do the deal (reportedly) - but with regards to the Pogba situation; the man has obvious quality but he's a poison apple and he's proved it again under Solskjaer after initially upping his game.

'Wilder has done a sensational job at Sheffield United but Burley achieved similar with Ipswich in our first season up in the Prem.'

A similar case could be made against Eddie Howe, and it is not surprising that this is the first mention of him in this thread, who seemed to be the reason that Bournemouth made their meteoric rise to the Premiership and then to seeming a fixture there but is being questioned now that they look like perennial relegation candidates. I always feared Man. Utd. would come calling for Burley to be taken under Ferguson's wing and groomed to be his successor but there was never a hint of that. Seems the big noises in football are more perceptive than I am.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Diego Simeone? on 10:03 - Feb 19 with 1295 viewsTIB

His son certainly has a world class lid.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

My order would be.... on 10:07 - Feb 19 with 1293 viewsBloots

1. McCarthy
2. Klopp
3. Simeone

501,439. Lambert

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Diego Simeone? on 10:10 - Feb 19 with 1290 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If Guardiola says he would manage Man City in League 2, surely we can get Simeone in League 1. Certainly worth a punt. Not sure Marcus will stretch the budget enough for a 5 year contract, though, especially with having to pay Lambert off too.

If there is one thing to guarantee a manager's stock will fall it is signing on to manage us!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Diego Simeone? on 22:42 - Mar 11 with 1158 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Diego Simeone? on 22:43 - Feb 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Klopp
Guardiola
Wilder
Jose
Zidane
Lambert

He is definitely right up there.

Diego Simeone? on 23:30 - Mar 11 with 1140 viewsGluedtoBlue

Diego Simeone? on 23:12 - Feb 18 by TheTrueBlue1878

Re Wilder - not football snobbery it’s just the reality of where the two managers are at in their respective careers, there is levels. Agree to differ.

Jury out still on Mourinho, I see no change from his time at Manchester Utd, will all go sour sooner rather than later.

It seems I strongly agree and disagree with two of your points on this thread.

Agree - Simeone may have spent the £120m on Felix, who has been one of Atletico's brighter sparks in La Liga without pulling up trees, but it's still a pretty damn impressive ability to rebuild like he has.

Disagree - Mourinho is getting pelters but imo if Kane and Son stayed fit they'd stil be in the FA cup and quite possibly in the top 4. I know he gets criticised for banging on about injuries but listen to his press conferences and so many times you hear leading questions. Mourinho/Spurs/Levy has the potential to go sour but I'd hazard a guess that Spurs will be strong under his tutelage next season.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Diego Simeone? on 09:45 - Mar 12 with 1086 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Diego Simeone? on 23:30 - Mar 11 by GluedtoBlue

It seems I strongly agree and disagree with two of your points on this thread.

Agree - Simeone may have spent the £120m on Felix, who has been one of Atletico's brighter sparks in La Liga without pulling up trees, but it's still a pretty damn impressive ability to rebuild like he has.

Disagree - Mourinho is getting pelters but imo if Kane and Son stayed fit they'd stil be in the FA cup and quite possibly in the top 4. I know he gets criticised for banging on about injuries but listen to his press conferences and so many times you hear leading questions. Mourinho/Spurs/Levy has the potential to go sour but I'd hazard a guess that Spurs will be strong under his tutelage next season.

On Mourinho. I think they probably will be stronger next year, and injuries have piled up, even since this thread was started.

At the weekend we saw a glimpse of what he can do in regards to publicly criticizing Ndombele, that can go one of two ways.

You can lose the player and parts of the dressing, or he rolls his sleeves up and proves Mourinho wrong.

We've seen it all before.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024